Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charlotte "Lottie" Ebner
Concept: FBI Analyst who discovered the supernatural and now is in way over her head.

You know what the problem is with being smart? You always see the things that other people don't. Of course, the government loves that kind of thing. They trained me, honed my skills, gave me all the things they needed to use my mind to the fullest. I was one of the best graduates of the FBI Intelligence Training in years. I was fantastic. That's not a brag, by the way. Well, maybe a little bit, but it's on record, if you can get access to my file. I had a sweet career ahead of me. Maybe I could even have become a director, or something. If I hadn't been too good at my job, of course.

I started noticing...patterns, in cases that were never solved because they couldn't find the killer, couldn't explain the deaths. Saw them recur in older, colder cases. Death by bloodloss, without bullet or stab wounds. Maulings not even remotely near any bear or mountain lion territory. Burnt corpses in otherwise untouched areas without even the slightest evidence of accelerant. Weird things. Things that shouldn't have happened. So I dug deeper. On my off-time, of course. Wouldn't do to get stuck in cold cases when there's lots of murders happening in the present. But I did get stuck. Even with all my cleverness, I couldn't find the truth. I couldn't find the answers I sought. It was maddening. I was running into dead end after dead end, but I was determined to find out how these things had happened.

I didn't discover the truth until years later. I'd started venturing out from the office to look at crime scenes. Or, well, areas that once were crime scenes. If you know analysts, you know that's a hell of a no-no. I hadn't even had field training, beyond the very basics. So I was awfully unprepared when I was attacked. A blur in the night, an iron grip around my throat; and then fire, and I blacked out.

When I woke up, I was being tended to by a creepy old man; I mean, he was nice, and all, but he had this weird...intensity about him. He didn't give me his name, but he said he knew my family - my grandfather, specifically, and what he'd done. It's not something we ever tell anybody. People tend to give you this weird look when you tell them your sweet old granpappy was a Nazi, you know? Unless you're my cousin Gerald. Then you love that sort of thing, and call yourself an 'alt-right' and want to make America great again. He doesn't show up to the family gatherings anymore, by the way. We kind of kicked him out for being an idiot, and thinking grandpa was a hero.

Anyway, creepy old man said that there was more to this world than psychopaths and spur-of-the-moment deaths. That all those weird deaths I'd been investigating had a different cause. I wasn't ready for that, even though he said that I had a debt to pay. That now that I knew the truth, I had an obligation to serve. He had a point. Still ain't ready, though, now that I'm in this backwater shithole. I don't wanna go out there and face werewolves and vampires and god knows what else. I'm not fit for that. But... I still see the patterns. I'm too smart not to. I have more information to gather and subsequently dispense. And then the tough people can do the fighting. That'll suit me just fine.

--

1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?
Charlotte has these weird...hunches, sometimes. A conviction. Knowing somebody has done something, or something has happened, even if she can't prove it; but they're always true. So this one time, when she was investigating a series of deaths, she was working with the evidence at hand and got a hunch while reading the data, about the suspect. She knew who'd done it. Like she could see it happening in her mind's eye. But there was no real evidence. Nothing that would stand up in a court of law. She couldn't prove it. There were three more deaths; and then they stopped. She knows the killer is still out there. She should have forged something. Should have made something up. Maybe those people would still be alive, then. So it's not what she did; it's what she didn't do.

2. What is the worst thing your character can imagine themselves doing?
Killing somebody. Lottie knows how to wield a gun, even if she'd rather not. In Four Corners, she doesn't have the safety of her desk. She has to go out there. One day, she might have to fire her gun at an enemy. She wouldn't know how to go on if she was responsible for taking a life.

3. What is the worst thing your character can imagine someone else doing?
Killing a person in cold blood, when they're unable to defend themselves, whether they deserve it or not.

4. What strange, inexplicable or otherwise supernatural event has your character forgotten?
Once, when she was much, much younger, little Charlotte, then 13 years old, was walking home from a party. It wasn't far to her house, so her mother had trusted her to walk back on her own. She happened to stumble across a man who was very kind and worried about her safety; but mom had told her not to trust strangers, no matter how kind they were, so she bid him goodbye and continued home.

Yet there he was again, just a block later. Charlotte ran, turning her back to him, hoping to make it back to her friend's house. But no matter how or where she went, she couldn't seem to escape him. It was only a passing police car that prevented her from becoming a vampire snack that day... and she forgot all about how that man had been so strangely present, no matter where she turned.

5. What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?
The day a man in a fancy suit with a bunch of medals showed up at her door and told her her father had been killed while serving overseas. Her father had been her rock, the one she could always rely on, even if he had to be away so much. She would call him, email him, and he would always respond, even if not immediately. She could always rely on his advice, his support, and when he was home, he always gave the best hugs. Knowing that all of that would be gone forever left Charlotte with a hole in her heart. She still dreams about him, sometimes. Rescuing her from a bad guy, or just playing baseball with her. Being the hero he always was to her. And she inevitably wakes up with tears in her eyes when she realizes it was only a dream.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Fuzz posted:

Doors my character look okay? Will I be totally out of sorts if I don't pick any endowments or funky magic powers?

You're still free to pick up 2 more dots of merits, given the free dots you get thanks to Mors' houserules (1 dot of PT, 1 dot of compact status). Also, you can get the 3 dots worth of supernatural merits/minor template/something else as per the house rules. If you wanna stay away from magic stuff, that doesn't necessarily make you out of sorts, just the guy that wants to stay as far away from that poo poo as possible, I suppose.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Nowhere Squad Impressions

Jennifer Smith - She's a good kid, but she creeps me out sometimes. Jenny's a little too nosy for her own good. That might be great when it comes to finding out what's out there... but I can't help but shake the feeling I should be paranoid. Some secrets weren't meant to be known.
Latoria Morgan II - Not so sure about those swords of hers. I'd rather have a gun at my side any time. But she knows the desert, and that's good enough for me.
Sheridan Claw - A good man. Old, but not yet done. I can respect that, even if I can see the toll it's taken on him. Everybody can, I think.
James Little - I'm glad he's here. Yeah, most of the others can stand their ground, but push comes to shove, he's the biggest guy in the room and everybody knows it. Sweetheart or not, he's a protector, and that's worth a lot.
Benita Williams - Oof. I've known a few people that went undercover. I know what it does to people. But Benny's good people. And a badass, even if she's taking it slower now. Plus she knows how to get the best weed.

The Job: Well, it sure doesn't beat sitting in a cozy office with all the databases I could want at my fingertips. Four Corners is awful for any analyst worth their salt expecting to get stuff done. But I have a duty, here, and I'll see it through, even if I have to work with stacks of paperwork. Even if I have to go out in the field...

Voting for Pilot #1.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 6, 2018

• Locked thread