Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Latoria Morgan II, Mesa Verde Park Ranger turned VASCU
above photo taken at the Oconomiyaki cosplay photoshoot in Albuquerque.

"Ms. Rivera, please, you need to understand that you were trespassing in protected pygmy-owl nesting area. Mmhmm, I know it's a difficult time for you. You're a wandering spirit now, no one's seen or heard you for months, and uh legally speaking your body is still an occupant of San Salvador. But! Regulations are regulations, and that paranormal activity of yours upturned topsoil. I'm gonna have to file an environmental citation."

"Yes, I did cross-check the census data for where your boy headed. He's a chartered accountant in West Reno now. Got a website and everything. Ah ah ah, report details now, passing on later."

Fifty thousand acres of desert. Latoria swears she's tracked drunk tourists through every last inch. Visitors around these parts'll point loaded firearms at federal LEOs without blinking, barge into Ute land and pretend 'honest taxpayers don't need to pay for entry', then heckle the poor interps about aliens for good measure. On top of that, the woman's second sight clues her into the dead and the inhuman that lurk beside the sightseers. Their legal chicanery has forced her into more mocha-fueled all nighters than she can count. All this work, and no support on call but a horse and miles of uncaring scrubland. Ranger Morgan found it all..."bracing".

Her gripes weren't really as severe as she makes them out to be, and she'll say as much if you press her. The woman genuinely relishes the Mesa Verde: the slow lap of red-gold clouds across the firmament, the snow-flecked mists in winter, and yes, often the thrill of her job itself. Nothing quite like bagging some 2-percent-wolf-blooded pack of macho-men on attempted poaching charges. And she'll always remember chasing down that enraged hiker's ghost who sued the state of Colorado by possessing proxy plaintiffs. Hell, she even got to keep one of her swords around to clear brush for wildfire prevention.

Definitely a pleasant shift from the cloying socials awaiting her back home in Georgia. The Morgans, one must be aware, are a prominent family. Which means their endless occasions are all hotbeds of conniving and barely-repressed hostility. An unpleasant prospect for any soul that enjoys their personal space, to say nothing of a psychic one. Latoria does admit that earning her degrees (environmental science and mathematics) would've been much harder without the resources her family gave. But she'll also admit that the estate will survive just fine without her ersatz manners getting in the way. The woman is content to pursue her daily life of do-gooding and reading volleyball manga on the edge of the habitable world.

Said life has been complicated just a little by a mandatory transfer into the Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit. A special agent investigating a slasher's wake of bones found her on the very same trail, using a rough form of psychometry to piece together the suspect's last location. Lead led after lead, and within a harrowing month they sliced away the killer's misspelled protective tattoos and shipped him off to face a jury of his peers. After that it was just a few hundred forms and a wrung arm until Ranger Morgan became Agent Morgan. The solitude and disrespect accorded to one was swiftly replaced with the bustle and prestige of the other.

To be honest, she's not thrilled about the change. And assignment to this bizarre inter-departmental "Nowhere Squad" only blurs her position further. Still, she thinks, it could be fun right? Figures that if the FBI had to drag an oddity like her into this mess, the next few months are going to be fascinating.

1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?

There was a drug bust, a trail of tip-offs and blood and glass leading to a heroin smuggling operation nestled in the heart of Federal Property. A real family business if the days she spent monitoring them were any indication. Single mother, three kids, and the worst part was they cared for each other. Supported each other. Fought for each other, eyes aflame with that which burns brighter than hate.

The knife-scar Latoria got from the youngest son still burns dull, from time to time. She tries telling herself that CPS found them all good homes and lives worth living, that she did the best she could, but for all that it still tears at her.

2. What is the worst thing your character can imagine themselves doing?

Messing up and disgracing the Park Service. Even her brief time with VASCU has taught her that news of their failures never gets out into the public (even if the Bureau itself never stops yukking about them). If she trips up, she knows the blame will fall squarely on her, and more importantly her old life and old comrades. Innocent heads would roll.

The work of the NPS, for all its failings, for all the overwork and decades of falling support, is something she truly believes in. She would hate herself if she brought it to ruin.

3. What is the worst thing your character can imagine someone else doing?

Knowingly destroy the lives of others for profit. Latoria can spare some sympathy for those who harm others out of survival, raw uncontrollable emotion, or dumb ignorance. Even monsters genuinely can't help themselves sometimes. But someone who'd casually smuggle alcohol to a town that's dying of it, pave over homes to build projects that never start? Law-breaker or no, that is something she can't forgive.

4. What strange, inexplicable or otherwise supernatural event has your character forgotten?

During a night patrol across the cliff dwellings, she briefly saw the entire plain beneath her begin to funnel downwards. Subtly at first, barely noticeable, then picking up speed until it seemed like the whole Mesa Verde would collapse into a moonlit whirlpool of sandstone. Creatures like brilliant many-winged birds erupted from its center, the whole flock singing in human voices of discordant joy. One even sounded like her late great-granfather; ever since she recalls his memory with unnatural clarity.

5. What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?

Many years ago, at a garden party with her visiting grandpa, bored out of her skull as children often are. She snuck out into the kudzu-choked wilderness with her best friend, latent psychic abilities calling her towards adventure. Until a cottonmouth bit the both of them, and through the pooling blood and the terror of death all she could manage was to hold her friend's hand and promise she wouldn't leave her. It was a promise kept.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Nowhere Squad Impressions

Jennifer Smith - I knew that amazing hair looked familiar! Turns out I subscribed to my new co-worker's WitchTV channel months ago, and what, she's a genius hacker to boot? God, our team is cool. I can only imagine what kind of secrets she's got tucked in that dome of hers.

Lottie Ebner - So I am about...90% sure she's also a psychic. And I'm not just saying that cuz some folks at Operations are breathing down my neck about her. Look, I'll clear with you, that isn't what I'm about. Lottie seems really uncertain about all these things she's seeing, and drat if I haven't been there.

Sheridan Claw - What are those tats for? Those "LOVE/HATE" ink knuckle-dusters. Something about 'em seems indescribably awesome.

James Little - Everyone loves a small-town gentle giant, and heck I'm no exception. Officer Little's just so sweet and lovable, you know? Can't say I really understand all the football talk buzzing around him, though.

Benita Williams - She's kind of like our aunt, if your aunt had the scars of a hundred gunfights and smelled like weed. To be honest I'm still a bit wary about her little family farm, but I guess if anyone knows how to keep that kinda thing under wraps it's former DEA.

The Job: We're some kind of specially assembled super-team, aren't we? "Nowhere Squad". It's got a good ring to it. So far it seems like what I was investigating on my own, just with uh hopefully more support. Though this is Four Corners we're talking about. At least it has to be more than what we got in the Park Service! I swear, if i have to buy my own radio again...

Latoria has 100% shaken Sheridan's hand, and I'll join the chorus for Pilot #1.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 7, 2018

• Locked thread