Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

You know, this behavior would be 100% OK if they just popped a message saying "your battery is in poo poo condition, we're throttling things down until you replace it, you can override in Settings > Battery", but they probably laughed the product manager who suggested this out of the room.

Yeah, this. Make it on by default, the vast majority of users will never touch the setting, but those who are aware and don't want it can disable it. I'm betting on this being rushed with a new update because this is a PR shitstorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

:confused: It's $79 and they do it for you?

You can also do it yourself with kits like from ifixit.com for cheaper. It's a little tricky, but with patience you can do it in about 30 minutes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

Still better than any android

No, androids have gotten considerably better since the early days, but the best ones cost around the same as iPhones anyway.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

if you think this is about batteries you're a rube

they've been doing this since the first iteration lol it's apparent with every single iOS update

This is the first time there's been proof of the processor speed being throttled though. Before, the new iOS might be running slower, but if you ran a processor benchmark the result would be the same as it was on your previous iOS build.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Some people legit like Apple devices and that's fine, it's the rabid chimp monkeys throwing poop around at android because of this, and other things that are funny to me.

They're more angry it's being judged then it dropping the performance by up to 50% without telling them.

Yeah but on the opposite side you have Android fans who are convinced their OS is the choice for intelligent people when both are designed to be intuitive to old people and children.

IMO either choice has several hurdles to get over to where it’s basically a toss up of which ones you can tolerate more. No one should get this pissy over phones. It’s like some nerds never got over arguing over which video game console is better and that carried over into phones.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

DogonCrook posted:

Im just trying to imagine how retarded you have to be to get confused by a loving phone to the point anything would be considered a hurdle or one being better than the other to any real degree. You press the loving icon it does the thing.

I meant:
iPhone: have to go by Apple's rules, use iTunes to transfer stuff to the phone, limited customization, etc
Android: many of them are glitchy pieces of poo poo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The phones come with a 3.5mm audio to lighting connector dongle so you can still use headphones. Removing it is dumb but really not that big of a deal.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You can't copy videos over the way he was describing. Case in point: my friend had some MP3s he ripped and wanted me to add it to my iPhone; it was literally impossible. Yes I had "manually manage music myself" turned on. My only option if I wanted to add them was if I wiped out 11 gigs of mp3s already on the iPhone.

It's absolutely possible. I agree that the extra hoops to jump through sucks but it IS possible.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My coworker has a PDF he constantly refers to on his iPhone and he has to keep it as a new e-mail constantly because that's the only way he can access it; iOS won't let you download it to the loving phone hahahahahahahaha

iOS 11 includes a file explorer app/feature and now you can do this. Yes it took them way too long to implement.

e:f,b

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 23, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
All iOS apps and menus have a back button built in and since the back button on android phones is always on the screen now and not a physical button it’s really just a matter of which placement you like better.

I was close to buying a Google Pixel 2 but the screen is awful. Like low end quality yet they are charging $600 for it. The Pixel 2 XL screen is even worse.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The average smartphone screen size is 5.5"? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Supreme Allah posted:

Sometimes on my way home I'll just stop at the apple store and slip $50 under the door

ty apple

That must be why they were able to afford knocking $50 off the price of replacement batteries!!

• Locked thread