Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Cicero posted:

He's supposed to be this bigass bruiser but everyone just gives him anime protagonist babyface instead.

Okay in this comic he's not really a babyface, but his face doesn't scream THUG either like the books describe

To be fair by Reaper his face doesn't scream thug anymore. Now he looks.. stern I guess? He want from looking like a "sect leader’s evil son" to looking like a sect leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
In the comic he just looks like a regular guy though. That face doesn't scream "evil sect leader" either. It's a minor point, but if anyone was gonna do it right I'd figure official art to do it, but no.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh yeah the comic itself is pretty generic looking webtoon nonsense. I guess "to be fair" wasn't the right way to put it. Lindon McBabyface should be looking like a stern leader. He moved past looking like a brute once he became an underlord.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh yeah the comic itself is pretty generic looking webtoon nonsense. I guess "to be fair" wasn't the right way to put it. Lindon McBabyface should be looking like a stern leader. He moved past looking like a brute once he became an underlord.

I think he’s still meant to look big brawny and physically imposing, but now he looks mature alongside it.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

I think he’s still meant to look big brawny and physically imposing, but now he looks mature alongside it.

Less like he want to punch everyone and more he could punch everyone without consequence.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Beware of Chicken fukkin rocks and I'm not sure what I want more. For it to become a terrible harem isekai or not.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Split the difference and make it Big D'S terrible Harem :v

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

New Thousand Li book out. Only a few chapters in but it's unusually engaging so far.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

New Thousand Li book out. Only a few chapters in but it's unusually engaging so far.
Speaking of...https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgressionFantasy/comments/vp7ork/tao_wong_author_of_a_thousand_li_the_first_step/

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Tao Wong is dead to us for trying to use IP law to stifle other writers (especially since his TM is on the phrase "System Apocalypse" which has non-trivial amounts of prior-art.) He can go back to his non-artist day job.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But, also, his writing is boring.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Anias posted:

Tao Wong is dead to us for trying to use IP law to stifle other writers (especially since his TM is on the phrase "System Apocalypse" which has non-trivial amounts of prior-art.) He can go back to his non-artist day job.

yeah I was going to read the next one but I saw that and nah.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Dreadgod prerelease stream should be starting now: https://youtu.be/QBQ9vQEbcnw

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh sht oh poo poo, I have to read all of Reaper today

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Wait gently caress, I thought I had tomorrow to read Reaper?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It comes out on the fifth but some people will get it tomorrow probably by changing their kindle store to Australia.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cicero posted:

It comes out on the fifth but some people will get it tomorrow probably by changing their kindle store to Australia.

Or by just you know living in Australia

Unfortunately this book comes at a time when I have a job I actually need to do work at and can't read the whole book by midday.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Australia is a lie they want us to believe, no one actually lives there because it doesn't exist!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Megazver posted:

Australia is a lie they want us to believe, no one actually lives there because it doesn't exist!

I’m reading the book right now, eat poo poo Seppo.

Can’t believe the three whole chapters dedicated to Lindon eating a sandwich.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

I’m reading the book right now, eat poo poo Seppo.

Can’t believe the three whole chapters dedicated to Lindon eating a sandwich.

I think the scale is too big now, fellow aussie

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just finished Dreadgod. I don't know how to describe it other than...it feels very similar to Bloodline and also this was the kind of experience that I wanted from Tongue Eater and did not get.

Dreadgod is very much a setup book, but a satisfying one. We got so many payoffs:
  • Yerin's advancement to Herald
  • Yerin vs Redmoon Hall
  • Lindon and Yerin vs Akura Malice
  • Dross getting fixed
  • Lindon killing the Silent King and then...whatever that advancement-that-is-not-really-an-advancement.
  • Emriss and Larian turning on the other Monarchs

Haven't really finished processing the book, but I think the reason why Dreadgod worked but Tongue Eater did not was a structural one. The payoff in Tongue Eater being the four-way warlock pact came way too early and then the rest of the book was a training montage for a showdown in the next book whereas in Dreadgod the plot is crap, we have limited time before the Monarchs and Dreadgods start coming down on us like a ton of bricks so we need to haul rear end and power up and then the climax is said power-ups happening and the main crew going toe to toe with Monarchs and Dreadgods and KILLING ONE.

I only have two minor complaints:
  • This book didn't have any big emotional moments for me where I felt like I got gutpunched, the way Underlord or Uncrowned or Wintersteel or Bloodline or Reaper did. We just didn't get enough time with Kelsa, Jai Chen and Jai Long for that subplot to have impact.
  • The fight scenes/action sequences lacked tension. We've got Iteration-destroying level fights with Suriel and Ozriel and we've got landscape/city destroying level fights with Lindon and co and I kind of miss the moments back in Blackflame and Ghostwater where the fights felt visceral. The techniques being wielded by all of the characters are on anime power scales now, to the point where I can't really conceivably weigh one against another and figure out which technique should defeat another. Will Wight could've written any of the fights going any which way and I would have just nodded along and gone, "oh okay, sure, yeah, why not?" It's why I thought the fight scenes in Reaper worked a lot better, since everybody was under a suppression field so it does make me worry about how I'll feel about the ultimate showdowns in Waybound
Overall, very much looking forward to Waybound though, because we've got some awesome character confrontations coming up, though part of me is wondering how the hell the book is going to be structured since Lindon and co are gonna be doing Ghostwater redux (but I think I appreciate that happening in the first part of the book, which is where I think the structural mistake in Tongue Eater was). I'm actually more intrigued by how the Abidan storyline is gonna wrap up compared to how Lindon and co will ascend, though surely it would all have to resolve with a new Court of Seven, because we'd have to get some Judges dying or some other shake up in the status quo.

Leng fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 6, 2022

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'll admit I started to tear up when (Dreadgod spoiler) ....Dross's.... chapter happened, because I could tell what was coming.

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019

Now back to your regularly scheduled Dreadgod posts.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Dreadgod was unsurprisingly great.

Leng posted:

• Emriss and Larian turning on the other Monarchs

Maybe I missed something, because I didn't understand why Larian wasn't attempting to stop Lindon during the heist scene. Did Lindon pay her off earlier? Or is it because, not being Monarchs, the 8ME is cool with his "force Monarchs to ascend" plan?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Cicero posted:

Dreadgod was unsurprisingly great.

Maybe I missed something, because I didn't understand why Larian wasn't attempting to stop Lindon during the heist scene. Did Lindon pay her off earlier? Or is it because, not being Monarchs, the 8ME is cool with his "force Monarchs to ascend" plan?

Emeriss made some kind of deal with the 8ME after everyone else left from that meeting she called. I imagine the fact that they are not technically monarchs does give them a since of security.

Overall I was a big fan of Dreadgod. While there was definitely setup it didn't even really feel like a setup book to me since we got quite a few payoffs. Dross coming back was especially great.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ah right, that section was so short I forgot.

Anyway, this book was really scattershot, lots of context switching or different PoV's, probably by necessity since it focuses on getting everyone else advancing or prepping to advance, but that means I'm immediately jonesing for a re-read.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm super curious how the Cradle and Abidan plotlines are gonna intersect in the next book.

My best guess is Ozriel and Suriel manage to win or at least escape, they hide for a bit and then go and pick up The Gang from Cradle when Lindon & Co go to ascend.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah, even if the timing works out that they ascend during the mad king's attack on Suriel and Oz. They shouldn't have enough to power to do anything about it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Kyoujin posted:

Yeah, even if the timing works out that they ascend during the mad king's attack on Suriel and Oz. They shouldn't have enough to power to do anything about it
Yeah, makes more sense for Oz to swing by like, "gonna grab y'all before Makiel decides he wants some hostages."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do think we're straining a bit at this point, especially since it felt like no one besides Lindon actually really powered up in this book? He got to Dreadgod and I guess Yerin went to Archlady, but literally everyone else just felt like they were treading water because we didn't get enough focus on any of them and we had the incredibly drawn out plot with Mercy. And Yerin's advancement felt a bit cheap because she was a Herald already anyways and it didn't seem to really change the level she was fighting on, just sort of checked the box so she was reclassified from 'pseudo-Herald' to 'Herald' :effort:

Packing in Ziel's Sage ascension, Mercy getting to actual Archlady, Orthos finally getting somewhere past Underlord, plus some kind of payoff for Jai Chen and Kelsa along with all the other plot we're going to need to kill the remaining Dreadgods/a few Monarchs and deal with the Abidan plot seems uh ambitious.

It was a good book overall and I liked it but it definitely had some plot stuff that felt like a letdown.

Still mad about Jai Long's death. That whole subplot with him, Kelsa and Jai Chen felt incredibly superfluous and ate up either way too much screentime or not nearly enough over the last few books. It was too short to really invest the kind of emotional impact it seemed to be going for, but had a lot of words dedicated to it that could have really been used for Ziel/Orthos especially who also got awkward short shrift.

Mercy fell into a similar category where it felt like we hit the same beats with her a few times? Malice manipulates her, she has a scene with Lindon where she pushes aside her doubts. Repeat 3 times over the course of the book. Some of that really should have been cut or reworked to give her some more agency, possibly push her Archlady advancement in to sell her character growth instead of making her essentially a token that Malice and Lindon fight over.

Conversely, I think the Abidan plot was probably the best its been? Having Suriel and Ozy/Eithan bouncing off each other for most of it worked really well and I'm excited to see how it wraps up. I also really liked Jeran and Seisha's scene and Lindon's scenes with Pride and Charity. Ditto the conclusion to Yerin's plot with the Sage of Red Faith and the death of that weirdly compelling gremlin.

Also thought it was kinda weird we killed off the Dreadgod the cast had the absolute least connection to, but he got enough spotlight that I think it worked.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 6, 2022

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
well they're clearly setting up the gang to be the new abidan so I'm curious what all the slots will be. Ziel is obviously the Titan, and Lindon now seems to be the ghost. Yerin being the wolf seems like a fit, and maybe charity as the Phoenix. Not sure whether eithan will stay the reaper or be the spider. Having orthos, Lil blue, and dross be judges just seems way too comical, but they spent so much time in this book going "wow there sure are seven of us, huh?" that it does seem to be a possibility.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

30.5 Days posted:

well they're clearly setting up the gang to be the new abidan so I'm curious what all the slots will be. Ziel is obviously the Titan, and Lindon now seems to be the ghost. Yerin being the wolf seems like a fit, and maybe charity as the Phoenix. Not sure whether eithan will stay the reaper or be the spider. Having orthos, Lil blue, and dross be judges just seems way too comical, but they spent so much time in this book going "wow there sure are seven of us, huh?" that it does seem to be a possibility.

The gang might have some parallels to the judges, but Eithan's plan for them is to be outside the confines of the pact, able to actually effect change instead of... doing whatever Mikel is doing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm hoping that Red Faith Remnant gets some actual screen time because I actually really ended up enjoying that son of a bitch this book.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Zore posted:

Yerin stuff

Agreed. Yerin's strength felt all over the place where she actually struggled a bit against an overlord (with blood shadow) despite clowning all over soph in the tournament and having a year plus to get stronger. Then she is able to get some shots in against an actual herald before advancing to Archlord

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Zore posted:

Also thought it was kinda weird we killed off the Dreadgod the cast had the absolute least connection to, but he got enough spotlight that I think it worked.

I think this was one of the futures that Suriel showed him at the end of Bloodline so I think it was pretty much foreshadowed.

Also "Oh yeah a bunch of stuff happened and Jai Long died" was kind of a lovely sendoff even if he was a meh character. The whole book was like a sanderson avalanche so maybe it was just that it was buried between dragonball z monarch fights but it really felt like he just got written off for... reasons.

Also, not that I'm complaining but did this book feel a bit rushed? there were some noticable grammatical issues with missing words and such that I never noticed in the earlier books.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I really enjoyed Dreadgod, although as others have mentioned the fights are getting a bit too abstract now. I don't really enjoy any of the Abidan plot and the battles being "the bad guy fires 20 suns at the judge but the judge has the power of 1000 suns so it's no use, but oh no there's 50 bad guys each firing 200 suns now!" is a large part of that. A few little complaints:

At the end of Reaper, after Awakening, the Blood Phoenix melts itself into eggs to secretly attack the Akura lands, but when we see it again here it is flying around attacking the 8 man empire's islands and the Reaper plot seems to have been forgotten.

Just before Dread-Lindon turns up, Ziel is lying around exhausted and mentions that his cores are empty. Little typo? But then a bit later Lindon is draining the 9cloud Herald and says he has to drain his cores. Herald is confused by this and Lindon pauses before saying he misspoke. Is the author making fun of his own typo in the same book instead of fixing it? Kinda strange.

For all the time spent on Jai Long his death seemed pretty lame and pointless. How much time was spent on him advancing to Underlord only to have him turn up to rescue his squad which had already been rescued in Reaper only to have him die like this in Dreadgod? I don't see the point. I wish the word count had been spend on a little more of Lindon's parents realizing how powerful he's become and being proud of him or something, because they, and especially his dad, were awful to Lindon and I really want to see them admit their mistakes.

It seemed odd how willing Malice and Northstrider were to turn on Lindon and forgive their mortal enemy Shen - who had literally just awakened all 4 Dreadgods to use against them. 9 cloud girl is equally odd in being grateful to Shen for helping her against the Weeping Dragon, but it was Shen who woke it up to attack her! Aside from Shen actually showing off Subject one's binding at one point I almost felt like Shen's entire causing of this whole situation had been retconned out of the story. Yes, Lindon killing the King powers up the other 3, but Shen had already awoken all 4 of them and increased their power too which seems like the worse act. I thought awakening them was the main problem really, because then they can start plotting and hunting Monarchs instead of just drifting around like a natural disaster.

Zore posted:

Mercy fell into a similar category where it felt like we hit the same beats with her a few times? Malice manipulates her, she has a scene with Lindon where she pushes aside her doubts. Repeat 3 times over the course of the book. Some of that really should have been cut or reworked to give her some more agency, possibly push her Archlady advancement in to sell her character growth instead of making her essentially a token that Malice and Lindon fight over.

And, of course, Mercy is once again in a coma after taking too much power from her book... exactly what happened to her after the gang's first fight against the Titan.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

I really enjoyed Dreadgod, although as others have mentioned the fights are getting a bit too abstract now. I don't really enjoy any of the Abidan plot and the battles being "the bad guy fires 20 suns at the judge but the judge has the power of 1000 suns so it's no use, but oh no there's 50 bad guys each firing 200 suns now!" is a large part of that. A few little complaints:

It seemed odd how willing Malice and Northstrider were to turn on Lindon and forgive their mortal enemy Shen - who had literally just awakened all 4 Dreadgods to use against them. 9 cloud girl is equally odd in being grateful to Shen for helping her against the Weeping Dragon, but it was Shen who woke it up to attack her! Aside from Shen actually showing off Subject one's binding at one point I almost felt like Shen's entire causing of this whole situation had been retconned out of the story. Yes, Lindon killing the King powers up the other 3, but Shen had already awoken all 4 of them and increased their power too which seems like the worse act. I thought awakening them was the main problem really, because then they can start plotting and hunting Monarchs instead of just drifting around like a natural disaster.

Yeah this part was kind of weird too (v disappointed in you Northstrider) but it seems like they're all terrified of Lindon now because of his connection to Eithan, and he's been pretty clear that he wants to push all Monarchs out of Cradle which is more existential than their usual Game of Thrones shenanigans. They all like being the big fish in the small pond and Lindon and his team is loving it all up.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

roffles posted:

Yeah this part was kind of weird too (v disappointed in you Northstrider) but it seems like they're all terrified of Lindon now because of his connection to Eithan, and he's been pretty clear that he wants to push all Monarchs out of Cradle which is more existential than their usual Game of Thrones shenanigans. They all like being the big fish in the small pond and Lindon and his team is loving it all up.

Monarch's are all various flavors of selfish rear end in a top hat, if for no other reason than that they are Monarch's in the first place.

I think Mercy has the same issue Verin ran into, the end of one part of her story arc and the start of the next do not sync with the storyline as a whole so she has a chunk of time where she is present but just waiting for the next story beat to start

Overall I still quite enjoyed Dreadgod.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

roffles posted:

Northstrider has always been an enormous bastard but he always felt a bit more... pragmatic? than the other Monarchs in the past. Like the implications for him since his introduction is that he is the only one of them who has a plan for ascension, he just wants to do it on his own terms (see: him trying to recreate the Abidan's Presence etc). I feel like he really should have decided to peace out into a pocket dimension to feverishly attempt to complete his research or gone much harder to crush Lindon.

Also Shen turning into an afterthought is incredibly weird after everything he did in the previous two books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think I liked Dreadgod better than Reaper, but I wasn't really a fan of all of Reaper's dungeon crawling, if I'm honest. Definitely a middling entry in the series.