Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

LLSix posted:

Early Wintersteel and a little bit of Uncrowned:

Lindon's reaction to losing to Yerin feels off. Lindon has spent his whole life losing. He lost to Jai Long. He just spent months losing literally every single duel he fought against the Akura underlords. It is only very recently that he started to even see himself like a real sacred artist. For the vast majority of their relationship she's been much, much stronger. It's weird that he expected to beat her and it's even weirder that it hits him so hard. I found the parts about him being lonely after she leaves to ring much truer and be more relatable.

I think it's literally the only fight he's had against someone of the same level where he's gone all out to win and failed. Jai Long had advanced significantly further and against the Akumas he could have won if he'd gone all out but was holding back for training/not to hurt them.

No-one has beat him in a fair fight before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

ACValiant posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Herald just means you have merged with your spirit/remnant and Sage means you have connected to The Way (or something?). They're like side grades I believe.

They're more kind of upgrades that don't follow the standard pattern of advancement. They still give you a load of extra power. Considering how powerful Yerin especially was after her herald change, it seems wrong to call it a sidegrade. She wasn't just changed, but indisputably a hell of a lot more powerful

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Does anyone have a read on what Lindon did with Dross/Northstrider in the beginning of the book? Lindon was focusing on the link between himself and Dross, so at first I interpreted Northstrider taking interest in Lindon because he sensed a change with Lindon's connection to Dross. But the change in the link coincided with the portal opening, and other people have read it as Lindon opening the portal himself. That certainly would be impressive and foreshadowing for what he could do later, but he could barely open an old portal on his own once he actually manifested the Icon, so it seems like kind of a stretch to me.

In retrospect I think that is what happened. It's worth noting that as was mentioned to Yerin a lot, Lindon shouldn't be able to do poo poo with icons as an Underlord anyway and it seems some icons find different things like portals much harder than others. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sage of The End has a hard time creating anything such as a portal but an easy time with destructive uses of his powers.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Aargh posted:

Pretty sure that Lindon is an archlord at the moment, he didn't trigger just overlord and summoned an icon. Plus tie in the whole wintersteel badge thing from the start with Tim & we know he's a sage. He also went through two redmoon hall overlords and most of sophara before he advanced & there was also a quote in underlord I think that mentioned that sages we're all peak archlord.

Nah, he's not Archlord. He's an Underlord Sage. Dross saying he didn't advance to Overlord isn't saying that he double-advanced to Archlord, it's saying he didn't advance to Overlord and so is still an Underlord but is also a Sage. As Malice and Eithen talk about, Sage didn't used to be something that someone specifically had to be Archlord to be - people used to be able to become Sages at lower levels but don't nowadays and this hasn't happened for a while (Hence the former reference to Sages usually being peak Archlords). Lindon is a peak Underlord Sage, Yerin is an Overlord Herald, Mercy is an Underlord with her temporary buffs letting her become Overlord when she needs and Eithan is an Archlord.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Aargh posted:

Except for the whole overlord revelation that he has at the end and triggering something but no one explicitly saying what he triggered.

He has a revelation that he is the End and then the Sage icon of the End appears and then Eithan talks about him being a Sage. It is very very clear that he triggered becoming a Sage, not Overlord. I don't understand how you don't get this. We know it wasn't his Overlord revelation because as it's happening Sophara says "He'd triggered something, but it wasn't Overlord" and afterwards Dross says "Lindon... You're not an Overlord." I'm not sure why you keep on referring to it as his Ovelord revelation even though it's specifically stated it's not an Overlord revelation.

quote:

Yes we get that he's not an Overlord but there are a lot of things that aren't overlord.

Like an Underlord who has connected to an icon and become a Sage.

quote:

Why did he need his overlord revelation to reach sage?

How does he advance to overlord if he's already triggered his revelation?

In underlord we learnt from Mercy that you can't say your underlord revelation out loud because you might trigger it where you don't want to. So he's had his revelation, it's triggered something, he's now a sage and what else????

These are really questions you need to answer because you're the one insisting he had his Overlord revelation and didn't become an Overlord so these are holes in your theory.

It isn't a concern for anyone else because as everyone else is reading it he had an entirely separate relevation which triggered his advance to become a Sage. He will advance normally to Overlord when he triggers his Overlord revelation, which he has not yet done.

quote:

Also it would seem very strange in a book series where Lindon has advanced at least one rung every book to have two books now where he has achieved at most a side-step on Underlord.

He's peak Underlord with Sage powers. At the start of Uncrowned Lindon, Yerin, Mercy, Pride and Saeya as a team got clowned on by Underlord Sophara while by the end of Wintersteel Lindon was singlehandedly kicking Overlord Sophara's rear end like it was nothing right after singlehandedly beating down the greatest Underlords of their generation. He's ready to advance to Overlord but even without that he's become an order of magnitude more powerful than he was before.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Aargh posted:

If you actually read it no one confirms a single thing other than Sage, which we only know as only achievable as an archlord from other accounts.

How did you read the book and come away with that idea? One of the main plot points is "Hey, it seems feasible to progress to Sage without being an Archlord if you're really really exceptional" because that looks like it's going to be Yerin's whole plot arc before the whole bait-and-switch with her becoming an Overlord Herald instead and Lindon being the Underlord Sage. It is even explicitly stated that Non-archlord Sages are possible and has happened before by Malice, so we know those ideas about only Archlords being Sages were actually incorrect assumptions/generalisations.

How it happened also worked exactly how we would expect it to happen, what with Malice's mention of needing to take dangerous paths to access Sage before Archlord (Blackflame is incredibly destructive and drive almost all users insane), refining it through combat/absorbtion which fits the advice Yerin was given in the finals by the Winter Sage, Eithan's talk about training his willpower which he's been doing since the early books, the void matching his hunger for more strength as per Eithan's mention of it needing to match a concept core to your identity, etc. There are no loose ends and no oddities to the theory really, unless you think the idea of a protagonist of a cultivation series being exceptional and able to do something very very hard that most other people can't do is just too far fetched to consider, even when it makes sense within the narrative.

Your objection that this has never been seen before actually fits your own theory better.

- There has never been any mention or hint of manifesting your Icon as catapulting you to Archlord.
- Double advancements have not only never been mentioned as a thing but it goes against the entire process of how advancement has been explained of labourously building up your Madra each time.
- From all accounts you have to advance surrounded by natural treasures and if you're not then advancing will take ages. This didn't occur.
- From all accounts the practitioner refines their body with soulfire. This didn't occur.
- Lidon doesn't mention an increase in his raw power, which should have been immediately noticeable if he were an Archlord, but only a connection to the icon of the End and an evolved "spiritual sense".
- No-one mentions any increase in how power either, which you think would come up if he'd advanced twice.
- If he is an Archlord Sage, other comments make no sense. Like why would it be "Up for scholarly debate" if he is now Sage if he's an Archlord Sage just like every other one? And why would Eithan talk about the fluid nature of what classifies a Sage? That only makes sense if he isn't an Archlord Sage like everyone else and is an underlord Sage.

Which is all on top of the core problem of, the text never at any point mentions him advancing in any way except Sage and so any other form of advancement seems to be pure invention on your part.[/spoiler]

Anyway, in other Cradle talk I'm assuming that it's pretty clear that when he ascends Lindon will be a notable figure because he'll tie into Ozriel somehow. I'm presuming that Ozriel is the founder of the Aurelius clan based on Eithan's Abidan bead and that as Lindon has their ancient training technique and is THE END that he'll ascend in a similar manner to whatever Ozriel did that granted him the unique powers he had that kept the Abidan going.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Cicero posted:

Bloodline audiobook excerpt posted: https://hiddengnome.podbean.com/e/an-excerpt-from-bloodline-cradle-book-9/

According to Will's brother, it's from chapter 2.

Wonder if that one poster will still insist Lindon is an Archlord despite Mercy saying Daji and Lindon are both still underlords.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Enjoyed it but not as much as Wintersteel. Will leave a proper review once I’m not phone posting.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I see there's a fifth Thousand Li book out on the first of June.

Did anyone read the fourth one? Are you excited for this one?

I remember picking it up, reading the first couple of pages, going "I'll come back to this... later", and just... not doing that.

It’s fine, not great. The overarching series-wide plot is probably picking up pace though as in book four we learn about and see some fights against a secret evil martial arts society who are seemingly going to be the villains of the series and in the summary for the fifth book it mentions about the main character unlocking their bloodline which presumably harks back to those vague comments by the dragon in book 2.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Captain Monkey posted:

Has he finally stopped acting like a total sadsack all the time? One of my favorite parts of Cradle is Lindon in Book 1 vs Lindon in the later books, and the steady progression of 'Oh, I'm a badass.' without losing his polite exterior.

I don’t think Wu Yong in Thousand Li has the same sad sack problem as Lindon, if anything it was kind of the other way with being permanently annoyed with nobles rather than deferential . Either way, by book 4 he’s definitely confident in himself and casually taking on multiple opponents one after the other. Book 5 is a bit of a step backwards in that he spends most of it spiritually crippled from the final events of book 4 and trying to fix himself, but he ends up gaining a lot of advantages in this book in the same way that Lindon getting his top tier iron body and blackflame path then sets Lindon up to kick rear end throughout the rest of the series

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Leng posted:

I'm kind of shocked that no one is talking about Will Wight releasing Reaper in all formats early November. The news has been out for 2 weeks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Iteration110Cradle/comments/phwp2z/reaper_coming_11221_in_all_formats/

Preorders open in the third week of October.

There’s a chapter excerpt floating about too from an audiobook reading.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's this reaper book? I tried googling it and got this one and I don't think that's right:

https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Ruthless-Kings-MC-Book-ebook/dp/B085RCDYMB

https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Cradle-Book-Will-Wight-ebook/dp/B09JS55FW3

Book 10 in a 12 book series (author pumps out a book every 7 or 8 months). Basically in a world where people get magic powers by practicing honing their ki, it follows a dude who fights, tricks and schemes his way into eventually (though not yet) becoming the most powerful person in the world.

Not at all deep but generally nice easy breezy reads where you can turn your brain off if you’re into that kind of fantasy.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Bremen posted:

Also if I recall all of the veterans Carl has talked to have been really "I can't tell you why, but don't take any deal they offer you unless you absolutely have to" implying there's something odd going on and they're blocked from talking about it in a way that's clearly foreshadowing.

I believe it’s taking a deal on floor ten as they repurpose you as an NPC like that dude from book two exploded the floor and was clearly traumatised and not right from what he’s gone through. The goal for most crawlers is to get to floors 11/12 and get as good a deal as possible so they can be a manager or a guide with their own free will and mentality who will eventually get their freedom rather than some random NPC that’s recycled.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh yeah the comic itself is pretty generic looking webtoon nonsense. I guess "to be fair" wasn't the right way to put it. Lindon McBabyface should be looking like a stern leader. He moved past looking like a brute once he became an underlord.

I think he’s still meant to look big brawny and physically imposing, but now he looks mature alongside it.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

LLSix posted:

I just re-read Bloodlines and Reaper. After that, the start of Dreadgod seems to introduce a lot of plotholes. Specifically:

The whole theme of Reaper is that the team sticks together and advances together. Dreadgod, which starts the next day has them immediately split up. Even Lindon and Yerin go off to fight against different dreadgods on their own.. Nevermind that in Bloodlines the entire team fights against 1 (suppressed) dreadgod together and every single one of them is badly wounded just to annoy the Titan. It can't even be called a draw since the Titan wasn't meaningfully hurt, just tired. It could have easily finished them all off. The only reason Orthos didn't die is the dream technique that was used to make the titan forget it even held the turtle. We're expected to believe that Lindon and Yerin suddenly can solo stronger opponents?

I think Dreadgod fits with the idea of wanting to advance together. When they say they will advance together it’s not that they need to never leave each other’s side and have to do everything as a group, that’s far too literal. One of the overall plot elements of Dreadgod is that Lindon makes sure everyone has quick paths to advancement so that they can be on par with him and not need to be left behind again. It seems a direct continuation of where we left off in Bloodlines.

Also neither Lindon or Yerin go to 1vs1 Dreadgods as far as I recall.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 23, 2022

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Yeah it was a cultivationpunk dystopia, companies tricking people into incurring debt isn’t a stretch imo.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

The Captain is adequate, better than 95% of KU fantasy but not quite as good as Cradle or the like (And my opinion of Cradle is it’s basically popcorn, light fluffy and fun but no real depth or craftsmanship which still ranks it above 99% of stuff out there). Protagonist is fairly bland while the side characters are more distinct but cartoonishly so ; e.g. guy who just likes murder, guy who is being an ott golden-age sentai-superhero who talks about friendship, battle hardened emotionless rear end kicker woman. Prose explains what is happening without being painful or especially moving.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Zore posted:

Its also bizarre that the whole inciting incident/conceit is that the main character gets life experiences from 5 other alternate versions of himself who managed to make different choices and master different kinds of magic... and then proceeds to literally never use any of these other kinds of magic outside what we're told is his specialty before the whole ritual.

Definitely feels like it wasn't really hanging together.

Sealing is his normal magic and he uses navigation and water quite a lot on top of this. Curses is mentioned as sealed and I’m guessing whatever he does with the rabbits vs Omega and the king is another magic school. Think that leaves one of the six unaccounted for.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

roffles posted:

Waybound was basically an avalanche from beginning to end, overall I think it was a solid ending to the series. 8 Man Empire felt a bit shoehorned into it but the Larian bits were amusing.

Nah, they were in Dreadgod and obviously on Lindon’s side covertly (Hanging around for secret discussions with Emriss, purposely botching a job to let Lindon steal stuff, etc).

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

redreader posted:

I'm enjoying cradle but it's rapidly becoming clear that this guy just falls into treasure rooms, literally, and amazing circumstances regularly happen to him. Maybe sometimes it's potentially deadly but he's always got enough resources to help him and any challenge only exists in order for him to grow and overcome it.

Edit: it's like an RPG but regularly the Father Christmas dm gives him enough xp to level up 5x in a row

Yeah, I mean any cultivation novel looking to follow the PC from low to high power is going to have to make the person exceptionally lucky or privileged as one of the conceits of these types of books is how hard it is to reach the top levels of power and how long it would normally take.

I’d say the main advantages he gets are Suriel (who puts him on the path to joining up with Yerin), Eithan (Who is dedicated to raising him up fast, giving him a powerful path, teaching him techniques, giving him lots of opportunities to excel, paying for his arm, etc) and Ghostwater which is just a very lucky but dangerous opportunity that falls into his lap. Past that point he’s powerful enough that I’d say he’s earning everything he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Xand_Man posted:

Also I don't think being successful on kindle unlimited is 'take a year or two off' lucrative

Will Wight is a bit of an exception as:

1) He isn’t exclusively digital and also publishes hardcopy versions of his books.
2) He has his own little publishing company which has managed to get his books directly into stores.
3) He’s just done his second big Kickstarter, this one taking over a million dollars.