Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A big flaming stink posted:

It's not sf/fantasy, but I just finished reading Elixir: The American Tragedy of a Deadly Drug by Barbara J Martin and it's an excellent work of nonfiction about the mass poisonings leading to about 100 deaths caused by a drug company using diethylene glycol as a solvent for the antibiotic sulfanilamide. Diethylene glycol is a close chemical cousin of antifreeze, by the way. This was the event that lead to the modern day authority of the FDA, and this book is an exhaustive account of the greed and incompetence that lead to this and the frantic efforts of the FDA agents to find every prescription sent out of the literal brain poison

I have no idea what this is doing on KU, but it raised my hopes about the average quality of KU before they were quickly dashed. Read it you bums!

In a similar vein, does anyone have any recommendations of other nonfiction books that don't belong in this trench as I desperately try to read Continue Online without hating myself?

e: ok the bad book is actually enthralling i will continue to hate read it

Thank you for this recommendation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cicero posted:

Worth the Candle, kind of. It's extremely tonally different from other LitRPGs and has fairly strong writing even by non-web-serial standards, very heavy on the "rat" part of Ratfic though.

what about Wandering Inn where the two biggest protagonists are ladies

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

This is a five star review and I can't for the life of me figure out why. "Nothing happened in this book, wont continue reading the series, 5 stars"

He wants to be polite and support indie authors metrics :3: