Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

John Lee posted:

It's so weird how there's a bunch of litRPG stories where Analyze or Scan or Information is secretly a super-OP skill that nobody takes because one would assume it's trash, and have these authors ever PLAYED an RPG? Knowing the abilities and weaknesses of your enemies is the key to victory, in real life or a game.
counterpoint: I can just use thunder and then fire and see which one does more damage, and then I get an extra skill point to not waste on Analyze :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

POWER MAGE 2 is a solid title, but it can't compete with BONE LORD. B①NE LORD.
I'm glad someone else agrees with how I feel about those titles.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This isn't quite the right thread, but uh, has anything good ever been written on Royal Road, ever?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Greenlit posted:

I just don't understand the type of person who finishes writing these loving things and then goes, "Yes. Yes, I need to have money."
Hope this fix helps.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xel posted:

Russian litrpg is great. I feel like I've learned a bunch of interesting russian cultural details from the various ones I've burned through.
unironically this sounds like right up my trash alley, please post recommendations

also I'm not the person that posts links usually but some random SF-adjacent stuff that's been rotting on my wishlist for ages is on sale on Amazon today:
Spaceman of Bohemia is $1.99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZFB6VO

Bird Box is $2.99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJ352U6

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TheAardvark posted:

There's just so many directions this could explore that would be fascinating and he threads the needle right through all of them
this is a really good way to sum it up

the fourth book exists and the premise is "what happened to that one early-generation Bob that was lost and nobody ever heard from him despite expanding in all directions and having FTL communications going as soon as they did", which again, could end up interesting buuuuuuut

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

a web novel you're supposed to jack off to, and it shows
thread title etc

(the current thread title is better but this is a perfect turn of phrase)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Anias posted:

For example I'd never ask anyone to read a story about a deer being violated, or a house, so I'd never place Worth The Candle above F tier. It exists, but I think (opinion, not fact) that noone should read it.
the house also does the violating, wtc is an equal opportunity house-rape-tale

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Was Menocht Loop the one where the protagonist became a necromancer of a sort that society mostly frowns on because his time loop started with him starving to death on a boat crewed entirely by skeletons?

cause if so yeah I remember it really not holding up to what could have been an interesting prospect (the timeloop had like six "layers" and if he messed up the exit conditions on any of them he went back to the start of layer one, dehydrated on death skeleton boat in the middle of the ocean, but then oops all better all out ok most powerful dude in world let's go plot that nobody cares about)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, it's not that surprising if there are Monarchs even more antisocial than Northstrider. There's nothing about being one that actually requires you to be a public figure if you don't want to be, provided you can convince the other Monarchs to leave you alone and stop inviting you to their parties.
If anything, it's pretty likely, because Monarchs are all dickbags who are loving up Cradle just by continuing to exist on it so it kinda selects for assholes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Right, he's "Gold" insofar as they gave him the gold badge and he was like "no other golds around? sure this'll do for now even though I'm way past it" and he's (presumably) still carrying it when Suriel undoes him, but yeah he's not actually gold, he's Monarch+

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm hoping that Red Faith Remnant gets some actual screen time because I actually really ended up enjoying that son of a bitch this book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I mean they just assumed that Red Faith had a vow that was good forever rather than literally to a specific group of people, right? Which is equally dumb, but still.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Coq au Nandos posted:

Depends on the apocalypse. My assumption is that any actual global apocalypse will involve most of North America getting obliterated in some way, meaning their currency will become slightly less useful than it is now.
You're not using it because it's backed by the full faith and credit of Uncle Sam, though, you're using it for the same reasons the original Fallout used bottle caps. (later games introduced "clear out this bottle cap production plant" etc)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

avoraciopoctules posted:

Does the story leave the magic school behind for good at some point? I think that's where I bailed, last time I tried reading it.
they have not left the magic school behind but they're on a magic school field trip back to not-Britain and interacting with the rest of the Chosen which really helped to take the focus off the school bullshit imo, might be worth powering through

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

30.5 Days posted:

I was reading dragoneye moon and it was going ok and then the author I guess got tired of the arc where she was a sentinel and just time skipped out halfway through. Looked up whether she just really wanted to do the next arc and everyone online said the series got worse after that so I figured it was time to bail.
the author is actually a goon (username Selkie Myth, posts in the web serials thread) and apparently the time skip had been planned all along fwiw

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is Randidly Ghosthound a parody? That's certainly a title they've got there.
no, holy poo poo, it's actually real and it's incredible (not in a good way (stop reading as soon as you get sick of it, because I've never heard anyone say it gets better))

I mean it's a parody of itself. But not on purpose.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silynt posted:

Edit: Jesus Christ the RoyalRoad for this garbage book is at chapter 2249
this could easily be a thread title although it'd be better suited for the web serial thread

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leng posted:

A lot is self/indie pub but it is not completely so. Trad pub books are on there as well, but they are not required to be exclusive and the books that are on there depends on whatever deal Amazon cuts with the publisher. Gideon the Ninth was on KU for a while, as were a bunch of others.
like half of Kurt Vonnegut's books were as of last time I had KU, and sure they're the half nobody's ever heard of but if you have KU for other reasons it's still maybe worth taking a gander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Telsa Cola posted:

Reading rising from the depths on RR (Standard several worlds get merged/bought up and if get high level enough you can opt out of being strip mined).

Anyways one of the intro chapter blurb basically states that humans immediately dumped a bucket of nukes and biological weapons on the alien race who kicked everything off before the System went "Uhhhh not like that" and did something to stop it.

Which I think is a nice touch cause most other settings just magic nukes away.
how did biological weapons affect an alien race though?

actually this makes sense if you assume that the worlds that got merged had to have compatible food, even if the system running it was fudging the details our bioweapons would be compatible enough, okay complaint retracted