Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I read the first Bobiverse book and... drat. The premise is pretty cool. It's a shame the main character is a total dweeb. I lost count of how many times he says something and another one laughs and I go "why is he laughing? That's hardly even a joke." and all the stupid names being from his favorite TV shows and poo poo.. ugh.

also he pulls the last remaining enclave of the religious fascist order off earth in the first 3 of 1500 trips :waycool:

I'd love to see this premise in the hands of a capable author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bhodi posted:

This was my take of the entire bobiverse series.

There's some cool ideas, none of which are explored. There's so much meat around "Clones developing in different directions", "What happens when clones change so much they're on opposite sides of an issue", and "Are stripped down intelligences for custom/menial tasks still valid, human, or ethical" - I'd even have taken exploration of pros/cons of active duplication versus short term defense, but all the topics get just passing mention.

Also, hard pass on every "natives" chapter.

It's just incredibly bizarre what the author finds interesting. He casually glosses over interesting stuff, like.. the sandbox bob, and the stuff you said, in favor of the god-awful tribal sections. And he just makes them reskinned humans! They're not even interesting aliens! I'm so mad.

There's just so many directions this could explore that would be fascinating and he threads the needle right through all of them

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I started Mage Errant late last night to see if I liked it and ended up reading 2/3rds of the first book before I couldnt keep my eyes open anymore. Very addicting/easy reading like the Cradle books, indeed.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 17, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just got totally nailed by a line in Mage Errant book
2:

I skipped half a page thinking there would be some awkward convo stuff and the sentence I skipped to was about how Sabae even skips the awkward convos in novels

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Agreed

the constant birthday gifts are kind of ridiculous

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think my other big complaint is Godrick's accent is .. what, African? Scandinavian? No matter how I read the text I can't find an accent that fits how he writes their speech so it always bogs me down

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think the accent thing wouldn't be nearly as big an issue if he hadn't replaced "I" with "Ah", consistently, book after book. that is the real thorn in my side.

also I guess it's cool that every single person is a perfect listener, incredibly patient, and an emotional mensch but it kind of makes the conversations feel really inauthentic every time hugh is slowly and calmly talked around his feelings.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Siege of Skyhold as well,

I called Artur and Kanderon dying but I did not see Alustin's betrayal coming. and I think there was foreshadowing of it but it was far enough between that I forgot about it entirely.

One thing I've been thinking about is aether crystals. I feel like given that they were pacted, hugh should be able to take some of Kanderon's crystals pretty easy, but obviously the author could just say that attuned crystals are Only Useful For Enchanters or something.

It seems like the aether crystals are crucial to gaining power as a crystal mage, so it would be cool if he went psycho mode and suddenly had great power levels from it. Considering this is a progression fantasy on book 5/7 I am really hoping we get even more power creep so we can see the Squad vs. the Librarians Errant as an even bigger battle than the one we just had.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i'm on to book 2 of Thousand Li and so far it's less a copy of Cradle than Mage Errant was, honestly

however i want to know what gets in to authors in this genre that makes them all relentlessly mention "wry smiles" and chuckling

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I have exactly the opposite problem. If more than a year passes before a sequel comes out, I can't remember enough to want to read the sequel. It takes about 2-3 years before I forget literally everything, at which point I can usually just reread the whole series.

I got 40% in to a book this year before figuring out I had read it before. 2 years ago. :dumb:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've enjoyed the 3 cultivation series I've read (Cradle, Mage Errant, Thousand Li)

is there anything else in the same quality tier?

and if not, what about LitRPG books, is there any single one like Cradle that people usually recommend?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah, but they've only done a fifth of the story like that and they seem to have stopped published them in 2018.

Not sure what's going on there tbh.

oh well.. at least this is a convenient enough way to get the first part so i can decide if i want to gently caress with :filez:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Thanks for the reccs all, I got Way of Choices downloaded and will look at the rest.

However I picked up Dungeon Crawler Carl on a whim with little expectation last night and I'm actually loving it. Normally I get nervous when a new author starts trying to be funny but this.. actually isn't cringy and indeed is just pure fun

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I automatically assume anyone who writes LitRPG is a New Author :colbert:

The foot fetish thing was something I was going to single out as being particularly funny, agreed. Going to recommend this to my friends that might willingly brave the genre.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Darkrenown posted:

I'm also enjoying Dungeon Crawler Carl, half way through book 3 now. Assuming 4 isn't the end of the series, do we know how often new ones come out?

I looked earlier and both 3 and 4 came out this year, which is pretty nuts. I too am half way through 3, and I'm actually holding off from devouring it all in one sitting just so I have something fun to read before bed for a while

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
wow the first one came out September 2020, this guy is a machine.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
there was actually a link to Matt Dinniman's dayjob. he designs the kind of kitschy art you find at pier-1 imports

https://www.etsy.com/shop/collageOrama

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Captain Monkey posted:

Anyone read the last physicist?

It’s surprisingly not bad so far.

I bounced off once the AI said "I already know the cake is a lie." like 10 pages in

Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon was a lot of fun though, just finished that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I can put up with the rare nerd reference but the first chapter or whatever was just ringing up red flags to me every other paragraph. He brings up Zack Snyder's Watchmen, referred to by that full title, as one of his favorite movies!

The inciting event for the entire thing is him accidentally checking "Yes" on "Read all of Wikipedia instead of just Physics articles?" on their ($50 billion dollar) grad project AI's compiler. They decide to just let it compile for a month instead of restarting to compile in 3 hours.

The other thing, which might get better later on, is it is incredibly difficult to understand when he's talking, when he's talking to the AI, when the AI is talking, etc. because for some reason he only uses italics for character thoughts, but no bold or whatever you normally get for AI/telepathy in these kinds of books.

Anyway I'm sorry to nitpick a KU novel but it's the first time I've bounced off one so incredibly hard since reading, jesus, 30+ of them in the last year.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
halfway through book 3 of System Apocalypse so far. pretty fun, although very slow.

also the author, Tao Wong, always uses "drat" when he should use "damned" and it's probably the most minor gripe i've ever written down about a book. it's his drat fault for using it so often.

it might not even be technically wrong. weird linguistic hangup i guess

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Silynt posted:

I liked them until the time skip, which I think is book 6? After that it lost me.

The author drove me nuts with how he would forget characters names between books. I forget all of the examples, but I think that there was an Amelia and a Sarah early on that he kept getting confused.

andrea amelia sarah anna all of them i think exist and i never remember which. anna is the fire fox but half the time i think she's the bartender

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

elvie posted:

I got to book 7. Really enjoyed them. Was my first go at the whole real world taken over by a 'system' instead of my normal inside a video game ones I've read.
You made me check them again and I see a book 11 is out soon.

Wait a book 11 is coming up? The series isn't over at 10? I'll quit if so. It's waaaaay too slow for 10 books not to be enough

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Does anybody know what the new KU library size limit is? I noticed I no longer have to swap a book out every time, and have 16 checked out when the limit used to be 10.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm reading Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell and really enjoying it, a cozy space trader series. I am always enamored with futuristic sci-fi that isn't remotely military.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Leng posted:

I liked Mage Errant, but it is definitely not up to Cradle standards in terms of the actual writing, though I do love the world building and plotting.

I liked the magic system from Mage Errant a lot - the attunements to, basically, concepts, is very cool and I want to see more of that kind of thing. I just want a nonstop parade of ppl showing off new/unusual powers basically

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

awesmoe posted:

yeah its the best of the "everyones playing a game and they know it" books that i've found, i enjoyed it quite a lot. There's personal growth, the conflicts all make sense and tie into the characterization, theres fairly interesting mechanics, there's a decent balance of stats and interesting stuff...its pretty good! I like books where the protagonist is OP relative to everyone else but an underdog given the scale of what they're up against, and it hits that button nicely.
The ubiquitous sassy companion is annoying as poo poo (as always) but its tolerable.

Read book 1 (of the Ripple System) and while there was a lot of stuff I liked, it turns out I don't have much of a stomach for reading about people just straight up playing an MMO.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Virigoth posted:

Sir this is an MMO story drive thru

i just need a LITTLE BIT MORE!!! make someone's life depend on it or something. :manning:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 1, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Hell yeah

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon in particular really made me wish for just more well written books with fun ideas in the genre. just showed how far you go can go with it, and all in one novel instead of spread over 9. Sick as hell

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Combat is stupid give me cultivation entirely for every day use. Construction workers with a path of cement working, head of the construction clan singlehandedly logging a forest, an entire factory run by a single cultivator etc

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can I get some recommendations for Cultivation books/maybe LitRPG? I'd like something to get something new on my Kindle before I head to the airport for some epic VACATION READING, and I've read all the obvious stuff I think

Read so far in order of most to least liked

Dungeon Crawler Carl
Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon
Cradle
Mage Errant
A Thousand Li
The System Apocalypse (gave up after 2 books)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Cicero posted:

It might help if you talked about what you liked or didn’t like in those series.

Dungeon Crawler Carl - really fun, the mechanics of it are cool, the characters are pretty likeable
Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon - this maybe i should have put as my #1, it covers so much ground and leaves you lots to imagine with all the choices not made, all in 1 book.

Cradle - this and the next 2 are cultivation and i pretty much like the same things about them: i like seeing all the different paths and ways they combine, especially the non-combat stuff. Cradle's characters and writing are generally a level above the other two though.
Mage Errant - this one in particular has my favorite cultivation "system" (it's Magic and Mana but whatever) just because it's easy to imagine such cool poo poo with the simple idea of word based affinities. i.e. you could have someone who had two affinities in like, Steel and Tomatoes and they'd have to figure out a way to make it work because you just are Born With Them. Very Cool.
A Thousand Li - this one was more Cultivation to read after ran out of the previous two lol

The System Apocalypse (gave up after 2 books). i dont know, too slow? if i'm reading something with stat blocks etc i want them to be be going Up satisfyingly quickly and making meaningful changes to the characters' abilities and i dunno, overall just kind of boring

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Thank you all for the suggestions. I had a lot of read stuff in my Unlimited library so I downloaded all of thes.

This Young Master is not Cannon Fodder: A Cultivation Fantasy (Tianyi Book 1) by D.C. Haenlien
Soulhome (The Weirkey Chronicles Book 1) by Sarah Lin
Dungeon Lord (The Wraith's Haunt - A litRPG series Book 1) by Hugo Huesca
Monsters and Legends: A LitRPG Cultivation Saga (Infinite Realm Book 1) by Ivan Kal
Oh, Great! I was Reincarnated as a Farmer: A LitRPG Adventure: (Unorthodox Farming) by Benjamin Kerei
Silver Fox & The Western Hero: Warrior Reborn: A LitRPG/Wuxia Novel - Book 1 by M.H. Johnson

Not positive which one I'll start with yet but I'm mostly wavering between the first two :thunk:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it seems like 99.9% of the works in these genres are currently Work In Progress and I've just accepted it at this point

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Soulhome, book 1 of the Weirkey Chronicles by Sarah Lin and started the second one. Lol that there are 4 books out and at least 6 named ranks and book #3 is named the second rank. I look forward to completing reading the series in 2035 or something

Anyway thank you for the rec as it was exactly the kind of thing I wanted. The soul home system got my imagination humming, Very Cool. Characters and plot and whatnot, serviceable.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I on the other hand got to the chicken/fox fight and knew my sleep was hosed for the night. One of those books that makes me get big stupid grins on my face and have to put the book down for a minute

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Remulak posted:

How the gently caress is Beware of Chicken so good? I don’t even read litRPGs or whatever and holy crap, hit on all cylinders. Between this and Joel Sheppard I can’t believe the amount of great content I’ve read on KU just in the last month.

I liked Beware of Chicken so much I looked up Joel Sheppard since you put them in the same sentence. Recently took a break on the David Drake RCN series thinking "I still want to read some mil SF, but give me some dang aliens!" oh yeah I can't put this one down :thumbsup:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Defiance, book 4 of the Spiral Wars series by Joel Shepherd, which means halfway through what's out so far. This one's ending was even more "gently caress!" than the last ones!

I also liked how the very last 1-2 pages just casually introduces the names of several new alien races in a way that's really obviously "Next book, these guys are going to be important!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

branedotorg posted:

It's pretty good all the way through but the scope is getting out of hand, think he needs to start tying some plots off.

I'm reading them back to back so it's not impossible so far but I'm already having trouble keeping all the planets/stations/battles straight. And he is constantly introducing new named Phoenix crew, aliens, political factions, and yeah, subplots.. like Styx grooming Skah for ... something :ohdear:. But I also kind of like it - he can kill off characters without having to introduce them same book and so it has actual impact.