Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

So I need to talk about this KU book I read and well lets just start it's called Perilous Waif. Hey it has a 4.42 on GR and I believe I know why, it's trash but ohh, it's really fun trash. Protagonist is a straight up Mary Sue in terms of just dunking everyone with her absurd specs, in an actually fairly well built sci-fi world. It also does a good job of having the other characters and antagonists be not only high spec but more experienced than the main character, and make the Mary Sue rolls over the opposition be fun and exciting. But that's just a surprisingly good trashy fiction and not the part I need to talk about. The part I need to talk about is how the twist revealed at the end is that the protagonist was the last generation of the space Nazi's transhuman AI/human hybrid project, and is the grand daughter of space Hitler, and the last remaining royalty of the space nazi's which were assumed to be killed to their last . Even though I kind of saw the twist coming; I still had to put the book down for a second when it got revealed she was the princess of the space Nazi's. I can say at least the book doesn't imply that Space Hitler did nothing wrong.

I picked up the book after reading this. It really is so much fun. Kinda disappointed there's not more of it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Cicero posted:

Book 5 of the Cradle series just came out, entitled Ghostwater. The series is an American's take on Wuxia, if you like LitRPG's or Brandon Sanderson-style fantasy you'll probably like Cradle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFWZP9C/

Every one of these I start off going “why do I like this again?” And end up on “ok that was pretty cool, when’s the next one out?”

They are a bit slow to start usually but ultimately enjoyable.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone have any suggestions for the less-standard fare LitRPGs? Like, I’ve really enjoyed the Unsouled books and the Sufficiently Advanced Magic series. Something else in a space where it’s not so much “trapped in a video game” and more “the world has some clearly defined video game-esque rules”