Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Annihilation is an upcoming Science Fiction movie starring Natalie Portman. It is based on the 2014 novel by the same name by Jeff Vandermeen, which followed the ill-fated 12th exploration into Area X, an area in an unnamed country that begins to exhibit unusual environmental changes following an undescribed military experiment 30 years prior to the events of the book.

The movie appears to have changed the expedition from the twelfth into the second, though as the reader learns in the novel, there have been possibly dozens of teams sent into Area X, all of whom have died or vanished.

The characters in the novel (and apparently the film) come from a range of backgrounds and refer to each other by their role on the team (ex. Natalie Portman is the Biologist).

The novel is pretty low key, with very little action, though the film appears to add some horror action scenes in the form of a zombie bear.

I'd like to discuss the novel in this thread, as I just finished it this afternoon (it's a short read, more of a novella), but appreciate that people like to go into films unspoiled, so let's use SPOILER TAGS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't look like the book and it looks dumb

I'm dumb

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I also think it doesn't look like the book but it also looks really weird and cool and it doesn't look dumb. So I'm excited.

And I'm dumb too but in different ways I suspect :mad:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Also, due to a dispute between the producers (one of them thought it was too thinky and wanted it dumbed down, the other refused), the movie will only get a theatrical release in North America. All other territories will get a March release on Netflix.

Too loving thinky.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's also directed by Alex "The Beach" Garland. Who also directed some movie called Sex Machina.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
According to wikipedia and other stuff I've read, the clash between the two producers is based on test screenings being terrible and one of them was refusing to even take notes from those test screenings (never a good sign).

I'm still curious enough to see it, but my expectations are really low. From the trailers I've assumed the movie's head would be up its rear end by about halfway through; I guess it's more like a quarter.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 23, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is this basically The Mist meets Avatar? The trailer was mildly interesting but prob not enough to actually see.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

More like Stalker meets HP Lovecraft (at least the book is)

Also lol at the production issues. That doesn’t inspire confidence.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s getting a UK theatrical release too thankfully. But yeah Garland is not happy about the Netflix thing.

Honestly it really does just sound like the bad producer was entirely focused on “why isn’t this a crowd-pleaser” and requesting lovely changes to make it more mainstream. Luckily that dude didn’t have final cut.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I put a hold on the second book before I finished the first one, but by the end of the novel I wasn't super enthusiastic about jumping right back in after "the reveal":

So the "creature" in Area X is obsessed with replicating everything it encounters? And some of the local animals, such as the river dolphins, are possibly expedition members who breathed in the spores? I'm guessing that they'll make the bear into the moaning marsh monster that the Biologist runs past after visiting the light house, which is heavily implied to be a member of the 11th who is literally losing their humanity, with parts of their skin dropping off on the ground. At least that's what I interpreted the "mask" to be :shrug:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I put a hold on the second book before I finished the first one, but by the end of the novel I wasn't super enthusiastic about jumping right back in after "the reveal":

So the "creature" in Area X is obsessed with replicating everything it encounters? And some of the local animals, such as the river dolphins, are possibly expedition members who breathed in the spores? I'm guessing that they'll make the bear into the moaning marsh monster that the Biologist runs past after visiting the light house, which is heavily implied to be a member of the 11th who is literally losing their humanity, with parts of their skin dropping off on the ground. At least that's what I interpreted the "mask" to be :shrug:

Yeah I mean that's the broad strokes. The series kind of starts out as Weird fiction and by the end of the third book is more sci-fi. Certainly in the first book you're not meant to know what's going on, and although a lot is revealed later on, you never get the full picture. VanderMeer is coming from a place that's less Lovecraft and more Algernon Blackwood, so it's kind of weird to say it's "obsessed," it's more like a force of nature that the characters are struggling to understand.

That sucks about the production stuff though. I did read somewhere that VanderMeer liked it, but he might just like the check he's going to get so I don't know. I disagree that it looks that a lot different from the book, since the book was mostly about the strange atmosphere. I don't really care if they change what the creatures look like. Right now I'm optimistic but who knows, I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know I've always wondered what the deal with Natalie Portman is. She's a fantastic actress but bar a few roles like in Closer she seems to never get good work, or much work at all really.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Book was cool but the 2nd trailer for this looked like poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

You know I've always wondered what the deal with Natalie Portman is. She's a fantastic actress but bar a few roles like in Closer she seems to never get good work, or much work at all really.

Richer than God thanks to the prequels.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can't see this going beyond the first book in the series since the movie looks so much more generic. The books themselves get pretty murky and are full of incomprehensible Lost-level poo poo so idk how they're gonna spin this, or if they'll change the stuff about the tower and the past.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Book was cool but the 2nd trailer for this looked like poo poo.

Yeah this movie doesn’t look super great and neither is this thread, it doesn’t even have a tag line. Real shoddy work, op

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah this movie doesn’t look super great and neither is this thread, it doesn’t even have a tag line. Real shoddy work, op

:yeah:

Looking over Garland’s previous films, I think I’ll enjoy this movie based on his track record alone.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got the book because the back said "like a modern lovecraft" or somesuch but the book is way too cold and objective to be lovecraft. Its from the point of view of a scientist and in that regard it does very well, but it doesn't have anything to do with lovecraft beyond there being semi-cosmic mystery but even then it breaks from lovecraft in that it kind of solves the mystery and is way too hopeful

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This movie is the equivalent of that one character in Street Fighter who was a blank guy in mummy bandages whose every line was ???????? and whose background was ??????????????

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I got the book because the back said "like a modern lovecraft" or somesuch but the book is way too cold and objective to be lovecraft. Its from the point of view of a scientist and in that regard it does very well, but it doesn't have anything to do with lovecraft beyond there being semi-cosmic mystery but even then it breaks from lovecraft in that it kind of solves the mystery and is way too hopeful

"Like Lovecraft" just gets tacked onto modern weird fiction writers the way "Like Tolkien" gets applied to fantasy writers. I agree that the tone of the book is cold and odd, but as you point out the Biologist is just a cold and odd person. But I disagree that the book is hopeful, because the impression I get is that humanity is pretty well hosed and we'll never fully know why or how, but that might be the other books influencing my opinions.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

"Like Lovecraft" just gets tacked onto modern weird fiction writers the way "Like Tolkien" gets applied to fantasy writers. I agree that the tone of the book is cold and odd, but as you point out the Biologist is just a cold and odd person. But I disagree that the book is hopeful, because the impression I get is that humanity is pretty well hosed and we'll never fully know why or how, but that might be the other books influencing my opinions.

Hopeful in the sense that the protagonist sees every mystery as a science problem to be solved rather than an unknowable horror that will drive you insane

like the pile of books for example. The biologist just sees it and goes "time to investigate!" and dives right in. In lovecraft the protagonist would've had a minor meltdown and been afraid and it would've been really dark.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I haven't read the book but that's definitely something that can still come off as hopeless, even more so if the character doesn't realize it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It looks like they’ve already changed the ending, based on the trailer

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

It looks like they’ve already changed the ending, based on the trailer

How? It's been awhile since I read it, but memory is that the first book didn't really have much of an ending.

Treffies
Apr 27, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Hopeful in the sense that the protagonist sees every mystery as a science problem to be solved rather than an unknowable horror that will drive you insane
I don't know how you could have finished the book and still think this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

How? It's been awhile since I read it, but memory is that the first book didn't really have much of an ending.

It appears that she is being debriefed about her experience in the area, unless I'm remembering wrong and they're asking about her husband. In the book she goes to the island that her husband said he was going to try to get to and she doesn't return.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
the director has admitted he's changed the ending. he also didn't read the other books, and envisioned this as a self-contained story. also says he's made a bunch of other changes.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

the director has admitted he's changed the ending. he also didn't read the other books, and envisioned this as a self-contained story. also says he's made a bunch of other changes.

It's hard to imagine he wasn't familiar with the other books when there scenes/plot beats from them in the trailer

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
http://collider.com/alex-garland-annihilation-interview/

quote:

The book is fairly open-ended. Does the movie answer any of the questions the book raises?

GARLAND: The movie has its own questions. Some of which… the fundamental questions that the film poses, it does answer. When I wrote this – I knew there was going to be a trilogy [of books] but I hadn’t read the other two books. They hadn’t been written so I saw this as a contained thing. I tend to think of stories as contained things, not necessarily requiring further stories. The novel, though, was written very consciously as the first part. It’s a short novel. Jeff very clearly had the intention that he would be unfolding the story as it went along. I had the intention of completing the story.

Now that there are two more [books], do you want to continue that story along with him?

GARLAND: I’m more interested in contained stories.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Megasabin posted:

It's hard to imagine he wasn't familiar with the other books when there scenes/plot beats from them in the trailer

Yeah I read that interview as well but the trailer even seems to have characters from the second and third novels. Considering how the books were published it'd be really weird if the next books didn't have any influence on it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Professor Shark posted:

It appears that she is being debriefed about her experience in the area, unless I'm remembering wrong and they're asking about her husband. In the book she goes to the island that her husband said he was going to try to get to and she doesn't return.

I'm guessing you haven't read the second book because this is answered in that.

That said, from the new trailer (saw it during star wars) it seemed to deviate enough from the books that your comment about changing the ending could still be correct.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 29, 2017

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

IMO the biggest giveaway that major changes were made is this weird mention of “the shimmer” in the trailer. That isn’t anything, not even remotely, from the books. I was blown away by the trilogy and enjoyed Ex Machina quite a bit so I’m hopeful, but that line struck me as extremely goofy. Hoping it’s still good!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zachack posted:

I'm guessing you haven't read the second book because this is answered in that.

That said, from the new trailer (saw it during star wars) it seemed to deviate enough from the books that your comment about changing the ending could still be correct.

I should have the second book in at the library in a couple weeks

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Prefer the first Mortal Kombat film, personally.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I've seen two different trailers for this. One before The Shape of Water last week which emphasized an angle of mutated life forms/there's something out there hunting us and went for sort of actiony horror editing. We saw The Last Jedi today and saw a different cut of the trailer with all of the action imagery and horror editing stuff removed and it focused more on it being a story about going to a weird place and solving a mystery. Like I know there are variations of trailers but it was a very noticeable difference.

Posts here make me want to check the book out though so I'll be doing that even if I never get around to seeing the movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neo Rasa posted:

I've seen two different trailers for this. One before The Shape of Water last week which emphasized an angle of mutated life forms/there's something out there hunting us and went for sort of actiony horror editing. We saw The Last Jedi today and saw a different cut of the trailer with all of the action imagery and horror editing stuff removed and it focused more on it being a story about going to a weird place and solving a mystery. Like I know there are variations of trailers but it was a very noticeable difference.

Honestly I'd be down with either one of those movies, I just hope it eithers picks one and settles on an identity or (less likely) manages to combine them elegantly.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
I trust Garland on this one and think this is probably more of a case of the producers / trailers wanting to go for mass appeal vs Garland's headier vision. A bit concerned because it does seem they're quashing the whole trilogy into one story and imagine this will end up as a "both are good but their own separate thing" kind of compromise.

also unfortunate they're going with a zombie bear instead of a lurking slug monster

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 30, 2017

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

poo poo I hope this is good, the books are absolutely fantastic. I dont want to watch the second trailer, sounds like it will just bum me out.

I do think the movie should be its own story though, since the only way to make a faithful adaptation would be something like Stalker and no way is that happening with a big budget.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They should have gone with a story about a group sneaking into the cordoned off zone, lead by an experienced guide who is changed from repeated exposure to find a mcguffin but one person has brought a bomb to blow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm still holding out hope that it's a huge success so studios can go looking for similar works. I'm still waiting for a Darwinia movie.

• Locked thread