Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You're aware STALKER is already largely based on a movie called Stalker, right? :v:

You just made my weekend dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Marx Headroom posted:

You just made my weekend dude

It's not quite the same (the movie's a lot more minimalistic story-wise than the games, the games expanded things a lot) but it'll seem familiar pretty quick. It's also a loving fantastic movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
The original story, A Roadside Picknick, is also great and bridges the game and film it inspired quite well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly thought it was common knowledge among STALKER fans that the games are basically Roadside Picnic/Stalker fanfiction, like I kinda intended that original post half-jokingly since I figured I was stating the obvious.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Roadside Picnic and Stalker are so popular in Russia that theres a subculture based around it. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/roads/2014/09/the_stalkers_inside_the_youth_subculture_that_explores_chernobyl_s_dead.html

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

TerminalRaptor posted:

drat that is freaky and cool.

Book spoilers: that was actually a great reveal in the book the women were the 12th expedition and her husband was a part of the 11th, but she finds hundreds of journals piled in the lighthouse.

TerminalRaptor posted:

Has anyone said
scare bear stare yet? :staredog:

Overall I liked the movie but it does suffer from characters must do stupid thing because of plot reasons.

Nothing ever returns from the shimmer? Why couldn't they send people ten feet in and then back? Tie a rope around someone? I get it's kinda implied the amnesia once they were in suggests problems getting back out, but common, you should do a little better world building.
Why do they enter through the densest part? Wouldn't it have made more sense to enter from the coast with a dunebuggy? Also could you imagine the mutated creatures in the sea?
The super stupidity of keeping the lookout on the ground made no sense to me, nor did everyone leaving the tower to see what was going on.
The lack of written records. I get that they do it in the book and it wasn't a thing to show in the movie, but you'd think they'd have a heavier focus on gathering data (biologist did take samples though).
Can anyone explain the skeletons outside the lighthouse? I couldn't figure that out. Were they previous teams that made it that far? Why were they all arranged like that?

More explanations from the book: if anything Area X and the border is weirder. They wouldn't be able to just send in someone ten feet and back because the width of the border couldn't be directly measured, only approximated. They measured it as a mean time to cross the border being something like 24 hours to 2 weeks or something. The nature of the border is way more of a focus in the books, especially the second.

Also they don't ever discuss approaching by sea, but can assume it is not possible. As you get further away from the border time and space seems to dilute and the characters surmised that the distance to the border by crossing the sea could approach infinite. Again, some more details of the border revealed at the end of book 2 make this even crazier, as the border isn't necessarily holding to our ideas of geography.

Danger fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 2, 2018

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Danger posted:

Book spoilers: that was actually a great reveal in the book the women were the 12th expedition and her husband was a part of the 11th, but she finds hundreds of journals piled in the lighthouse.

More explanations from the book: if anything Area X and the border is weirder. They wouldn't be able to just send in someone ten feet and back because the width of the border couldn't be directly measured, only approximated. They measured it as a mean time to cross the border being something like 24 hours to 2 weeks or something. The nature of the border is way more of a focus in the books, especially the second.

Also they don't ever discuss approaching by sea, but can assume it is not possible. As you get further away from the border time and space seems to dilute and the characters surmised that the distance to the border by crossing the sea could approach infinite. Again, some more details of the border revealed at the end of book 2 make this even crazier, as the border isn't necessarily holding to our ideas of geography.

Thank you for sharing that. I find these kinds of details really awesome. I wish they had hinted at them a little more in the movie.

I am surprised I was not terrified of the scarebear. I still think it was scary as hell, but when they encounter it, you already have a understanding of what is going on inside Area X. It's definitely still nightmare fuel, but nowhere near as bad as the mimic was to me. Was it intentional that the bear ripped her throat out and went on to mimic her voice or was that coincidence? Given the fact it had a human skull embedded I thought it was just coincidence, but the way the focused on her throat being shredded when Lena found her was odd.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TerminalRaptor posted:

Thank you for sharing that. I find these kinds of details really awesome. I wish they had hinted at them a little more in the movie.

I am surprised I was not terrified of the scarebear. I still think it was scary as hell, but when they encounter it, you already have a understanding of what is going on inside Area X. It's definitely still nightmare fuel, but nowhere near as bad as the mimic was to me. Was it intentional that the bear ripped her throat out and went on to mimic her voice or was that coincidence? Given the fact it had a human skull embedded I thought it was just coincidence, but the way the focused on her throat being shredded when Lena found her was odd.

Of the two women it kills, it rips out the jaw/throat in both of them almost exclusively. I thought it was 'eating' the voices, and that was why it was trying to get the three tied up women to speak, even though it knew right where they were.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Dienes posted:

Of the two women it kills, it rips out the jaw/throat in both of them almost exclusively. I thought it was 'eating' the voices, and that was why it was trying to get the three tied up women to speak, even though it knew right where they were.

I take back the not terrifying statement.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dienes posted:

Jesus Christ dude

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dienes posted:

Haha

I take back what I said earlier about the bear.*

* I said it was bad.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

This was real bad. Super flat characters, lots of wasted potential.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Was kinda disappointed how...normal? Regular? Everything seemed. I know it’s unfair to compare the movie against the book, but I never felt the movie reached the delusional unreality the book pulled off really well. A bit of hanging vines and colorful flowers in an otherwise normal environment didn’t do it for me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I liked the last act of this movie a lot. Aside from JJL being great I found the first act chill and emotionally by the numbers, and the second not quite weird enough for me. I’m pretty tired of SF movies doing “characters have neutrally sad expressions in crisply coolly lit scenes of architecturally interesting homes,” though. Between this, Ex Machina and Arrival I’ve felt a lot of detachment and sterility in the cinematography of cerebral SF movies. The Area X colors were great, but undercut by the script overexplaining. Just let the pictures show us, Garland! Don’t babble nonsense about DNA!

I liked the through line about cancer and self-Annihilation.

I hate tactical logic nitpicks but I just can’t get over this one. Couldn’t they have used one line to establish that they’re sure people sent inside don’t die instantly? A gradual loss of contact makes a lot more sense than ‘nothing comes out’ because if you’ve never gotten the littlest bit back then how do you know everything isn’t just vaporized? (The movie does show us the Shimmer is a little translucent, so maybe they can see enough to know it’s not just instant death.)

The books are very good, buy them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Was kinda disappointed how...normal? Regular? Everything seemed. I know it’s unfair to compare the movie against the book, but I never felt the movie reached the delusional unreality the book pulled off really well. A bit of hanging vines and colorful flowers in an otherwise normal environment didn’t do it for me.

I thought the end really got there, as did the vivisection video and associated corpse, but yeah, I wanted more weird.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

General Battuta posted:

I thought the end really got there, as did the vivisection video and associated corpse, but yeah, I wanted more weird.

Yea, I was trying to explain my disappointment to my wife and the best I could do was say the book has the strangeness of the last 10 minutes. I especially liked the suffocating tension of parts of the encounter, and that bug-eyed look of not-quite-terror and it seemed odd to not utilize that particular sense of dread and go for big bear scares instead.

Edit: I also agree with an earlier poster who said the film looked cheap. I don’t expect any studio to pump a ton of money into a movie like this, and they couldnt rely on a static location like in ex machina, but it felt limited and unrealized.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah there were awkward points where bits of colorful flower/mold were just like, stapled onto the trees at the edge of the frame, poo poo looked like a Michaels aisle in Easter season

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
r/BreadStapledToTrees

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
One notable change I thought detracted, that I can understand why they combined it with another, but was central to the book : was combining the tower with the lighthouse. The tower/tunnel in the book was this thing that in some stream of consciousness way had some obvious connection to the light house but still defied any kind of logic. Like you knew an impossible pattern existed

Also the final reveal in the third book of what the tower and crawler really were was one of the most hosed up weird things in the entire thing.

Danger fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 3, 2018

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

"The characters were actually dead" is the second most boring interpretation of a movie after "it was all a dream".

I liked this analysis:

quote:

What I think this movie is about is: Personal change. It's like Lena says at the end-- the Shimmer wasn't destroying, it was changing, making "something new". I started thinking about this concept during my second viewing when I realized just how strongly the film seems to revolve around her relationship with Kane. It starts out with "him" returning to her, and it ends with the two of them together, with all those intervening flashbacks. Obviously this movie ultimately wants to be about them and perhaps say something about the nature of relationships.

Before Kane goes into the Shimmer, their marriage is damaged-- she's having an affair and he knows about it. We see that they have a legitimate spark, but we know that something is broken. We see him distant, struggling with what to do. So he goes off on his quest of "self-destruction". But I think the Shimmer actually represents something more- a place people find themselves at times in their lives, a sort of mental purgatory where some kind of facing of fears and personal change is required in order to move on. Some kind of "self-destruction" might be a necessary part of that process, if one needs to shed parts of themselves that hold back progress. It also requires facing your anger and deepest anxieties. And like Josie says, some people when they encounter a stage of personal transformation, will be eager to face it, some will fight it, and some might just peacefully accept.

So here's how I see the events of the movie from a totally metaphorical standpoint: Kane goes off on his journey. He's so hurt, sad, and damaged that when he faces the possibility of drastically changing who he is, he yields to this impulse and allows the doppelganger to return in his place. He comes back to Lena but he's not the same man, and his new self is unstable, and too alien for her to accept. His transformation has threatened to be their final separation. Lena feels responsibility for what has happened, and is now given a choice, and posed to her by Ventress at the base: she could retreat and "go home", abandoning Kane and their relationship. But she has given up her affair and resolved that she "want[s] to be with him", which will require her own journey of self-appraisal, facing down of fears, and transformation. So she sets out on her personal struggle as well, to face her lies, anxieties, and yearnings. When her turn comes to face the new person that threatens to take over her identity, she cannot accept it as readily, and mostly preserves her current self. But having resolved her internal struggle and committed to enough of this journey of transformation, she returns to Kane and accepts him in his current state. They embrace, having a shared experience and newfound understanding. It doesn't matter who either of them once were or is now-- they have accepted and forgiven the past and will move forward together.

People face all kinds of internal struggles and crises, and usually don't stay the way they were when we first met them. Staying committed to a relationship, or any endeavor in life, takes hard work, and asks that people take a hard look at themselves, decide which parts they can live with, and allow themselves to grow and change with each other. When times of struggle and transformation come, it's up to each individual how much to resist and struggle against change, and how much to accept it. Sometimes we don't have that much control over it. But at the end of the day, only through waging our own lonely internal battles can we understand and accept others as flawed and dynamic fellow human beings, and learn to move forward together, whether in a romantic relationship or otherwise.

I think "annihilation" here refers to the annihilation of the broken past, or parts of the self, that is sometimes needed to move on constructively.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Danger posted:

Also the final reveal in the third book of what the tower and crawler really were was one of the most hosed up weird things in the entire thing.

I've read the books all the way through twice and I'm still not clear what you mean by this. Would you mind clarifying a bit? I'm sure it'll be something I'm somewhat aware of, would just love to make sure.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Does the book have cancer vibes too? I kept picking up on a feeling of infection or bodily invasion. The scientists desperately want to know the motive of the shimmer but there is none, because sometimes things just die from within for no reason. A cancerous cell is just acting abnormally and dividing, a virus is just replicating. Knowing why doesn't bring comfort if something like that is killing you.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

The Clap posted:

I've read the books all the way through twice and I'm still not clear what you mean by this. Would you mind clarifying a bit? I'm sure it'll be something I'm somewhat aware of, would just love to make sure.

The tower itself is the body of the lighthouse keeper and the crawler is his brain.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Elderbean posted:

Does the book have cancer vibes too? I kept picking up on a feeling of infection or bodily invasion. The scientists desperately want to know the motive of the shimmer but there is none, because sometimes things just die from within for no reason. A cancerous cell is just acting abnormally and dividing, a virus is just replicating. Knowing why doesn't bring comfort if something like that is killing you.

In the book the entire 11th team including her husband return as copies who quickly die of cancer.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Danger posted:

The tower itself is the body of the lighthouse keeper and the crawler is his brain.

Woah this owns holy poo poo

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

I think that's more or less the interpretation I had of the movie. The scene with Kane sitting down with the white phosphorus grenade introduces a visual reference to Buddhist self-immolation, which fits with the overall recurring theme of the characters being afraid of losing themselves to inevitable change. Ventress's quote about annihilation being a state where your component parts are broken down until no discernable you remains makes it seem like she epitomizes a character who is defeated by the fear of her own impermanence. Kane and the main character's reunion seems to be a somber recognition that you can survive without being the same person as you once were, even if in this case it means it literally.

I think it's pretty on-the-nose to have the two characters who are soldiers return from a military operation where things went disastrously horribly and all their comrades died, and have them ask each other "Are you the same person that I knew before the mission?"

I would say that overall, the main thing the movie seems to be aiming at is that trauma changes who you are as a person. I feel like the characterization is a little weak, though. Everyone other than Natalie Portman's character all succumb to their thanatos drive and she claims the reason she doesn't is that she was the only one who had motivation for returning. But it seems inconsistent to me that she'd say that. It seems like the reason she took the mission to begin with is because it's, in her words, a suicide mission. She already reunited with Kane at the very beginning of the move and still went in out of guilt. If it was, in her mind, supposed to be a trial to help her be square with her husband rather than a place to go to die, then that really didn't come across.

I suppose one way to take the film is that outside of the Shimmer, the characters were ready to slowly self-destruct, despairing at some loss of what they perceived to be what their lives should have been, the people they believe they once were. But inside the Shimmer, the "true reality" of existence is highlighted and exaggerated. Things recombine all the time, nothing stays the same. Mutation and change are completely outside of your control. And your death isn't just some ultimate dead-end, it's just a step in a larger process where your constituent parts go on to be recycled into a new form. I suppose in this case, Kane's doppleganger surviving is a direct foil to Ventress. She enters the same womb/tomb that he does, but while she sees it as a place where she can be utterly annihilated, Kane finds a way to transform it into a continuation of life.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Just saw this tonight and I generally liked it. I've been meaning to read the books for a while and I guess I'll need to, now. With regard to the tattoo, I don't think I noticed it on the sober woman's arm. However, it was definitely on the dead dude splattered on the wall of the deep end of the pool with all sorts of poo poo growing out of him when they panned down from his head. I figure it must be something that was intrinsic to Area X, though the physicist didn't have it when we got a look at her left forearm growing plants, which surprised me.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Aside from the guy spilling his guts, was there a single white dude in this movie?

I loved it, I’ll probably grab the books from the library.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
I felt the ending was a bit lazy, the eye flash seemed to make Natalie into an unreliable narrator who just told a shitload of lies, just for a cheap horror cliffhanger. I guess they were going for some sort of Adam and Eve/try again to make the relationship work as literally new people/possibly some reference to Cain and Abel thing.

It just came across as tacked on and didn't fit, though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cephas posted:

I would say that overall, the main thing the movie seems to be aiming at is that trauma changes who you are as a person. I feel like the characterization is a little weak, though. Everyone other than Natalie Portman's character all succumb to their thanatos drive and she claims the reason she doesn't is that she was the only one who had motivation for returning. But it seems inconsistent to me that she'd say that.

I think its consistent, personally. She went in out of guilt/self-destructive urges. In her encounter with her mimic, there was an exchange - she got its urge to get out (the same thing that drives it to expand and Kane-clone to leave) and it got her self-destructive urge. Her motivation for returning, like the shimmer in her eyes, is just evidence of how altered she is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goreld posted:

I felt the ending was a bit lazy, the eye flash seemed to make Natalie into an unreliable narrator who just told a shitload of lies, just for a cheap horror cliffhanger. I guess they were going for some sort of Adam and Eve/try again to make the relationship work as literally new people/possibly some reference to Cain and Abel thing.

It just came across as tacked on and didn't fit, though.

Imo setting up an unreliable narrator was not the intention at all there. Although I guess depending on how you look at it, it is a possibility but it's not something I ever really considered.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The book had explanations for most of that that the film kind of abandoned.

Summed up: Area X is weird as hell, we managed to figure out SOME of why past expeditions got so hosed up, and here's a list of seemingly arbitrary bullshit you need to remember because if you forget it, you will suffer a fate worse than death.

The book's version of the lighthouse had all the journals. From every expedition. All in one pile.

Area X is weird.

Book Chat:Did they ever explain how all the journals made it to the room in the lighthouse and why there were hundreds of them? I know that they sent more expeditions than they had claimed, but I got the impression that there were more than even that

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I enjoyed the movie and the body horror was Grade A, but I really could have done without anything outside the Shimmer. The writing left a lot to be desired.

Also I got cancer vibes from the books, but goddamn did the movie take that copy of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and beat you in the face with it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I liked it a lot. My initial reaction is that I like it more than the books, which had way better ideas than execution, imo.

So did they just reuse the set for the house?

Book spoilers
The whole plot point about the post hypnotic suggestions in the books was dumb as hell too

Spite fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 5, 2018

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this movie was absolutely 100% perfect. that is all

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I had no idea Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow were doing the soundtrack. I love Drokk. Roll on the 12th.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

Book Chat:Did they ever explain how all the journals made it to the room in the lighthouse and why there were hundreds of them? I know that they sent more expeditions than they had claimed, but I got the impression that there were more than even that

I think media in general has decided that people can create elaborate logs of things they never would have any reason to log and leave them in places they wouldn't have been so the protagonist can get backstory. Like it doesn't make sense, but it's not made sense across so many sci-fi books and movies and video games that "I wrote a journal of how I died while I died and also that journal is hidden in a totally different place than I was" is just is a trope that you are supposed to hand wave away. It's useful enough a way for someone to get backstory on something in a more organic feeling way that stuff just does it even when it can't quite line up how it works.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

More than one character in the films says all of this out loud.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cross-post from gen chat:

K. Waste posted:

my next black-and-white re-editing project is gonna be Annihilation.

I'm gonna cut out pretty much 99% of the exposition or stuff that occurs before they go into the Shimmer. Also, I'm gonna rename it The Shimmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I liked this way more than any of the super-cerebral sci-fi films of recent years, including Ex Machina. Simply because this went that much further into legit weird as gently caress territory.

Like it's got elements of Tarkovsky, Cronenberg, Carpenter, H. P. Lovecraft (Colour out of Space), maybe a bit of Lucio Fulci, and I can't be sure but I feel like Alex Garland has probably seen Alien Contamination at some point.

• Locked thread