Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I've already heard bad reviews about it, and that Netflix wasted $90m on a turd. I disagree.

This movie fits so well with themes from fantasy/sci-fi fiction that it might only appeal to fans of those genre, so I understand if others don't get it. You have the ancient, largely forgotten history (which persists only in bigotry), unlikely heroes, a dark enemy that no one believes in, powerful weapons only a select few can use, and on and on.

If I'm the only person who likes this movie, I guess I should say thanks to Netflix for making GBS threads the bed for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I enjoyed watching it. It had some strong worldbuilding.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
From the Greenlighted thread:

Gaunab posted:

Finished Bright. It was alright. Every instance of it tackling a social issue was embarrassing and the story is pretty predictable but Will Smith's and Joel Edgerton's charisma and chemistry are enough to keep your attention. 3/5.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Gaunab posted:

From the Greenlighted thread:

Where's that thread?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also from the Greenlighted thread:

Neo Rasa posted:

We just saw it and I was about to post the same thing. The cast in general saves it and it was pretty fun overall. Nothing groundbreaking but I'm surprised at how unkind those early reviews were now.

I'm excited that Netflix has already green-lighted a sequel, because I'd love to see this same cast of folks and setting but not written by Max Landis.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Pretty much my exact reaction. The plot gets a bit too cliched and predictable towards the end (and it was a bit weird that they spent so much time at the start establishing the hobo wizard character and his gang for them not to reappear again) so it didn't stick the landing but I'd tune in for #2. The setting felt pretty restricted as far as magic items and magic users are concerned but I'm sure there's still a ton of fun stories they can squeeze out of it.

I wanna see some stories with those police cavalry officers. :cop::horse:

Someone in another discussion mentioned that the script was rewritten pretty much on the fly for some reason? I guess that might explain why things got a bit cliched and some things that had been set up appeared to have been dropped.

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Where's that thread?
Click on the highlighted blue username in any of the quotes from that thread and it'll take you directly there :eng101:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
When the little clips play on my Netflix homepage I always hear Will Smith say "Fairy lives don't matter today!" and I sort of roll my eyes. Maybe it's being ironic though? I dunno haven't put a lot of thought into it and haven't really decided if I'm going to watch it or not yet.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Also from the Greenlighted thread:

Someone in another discussion mentioned that the script was rewritten pretty much on the fly for some reason? I guess that might explain why things got a bit cliched and some things that had been set up appeared to have been dropped.

Click on the highlighted blue username in any of the quotes from that thread and it'll take you directly there :eng101:

Cliched is probably the right term. I just haven't seen it this way in this genre and thought it was something kind of new. If anyone is on the fence about watching it, I'd recommend it despite it's flaws.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
It was a really fun movie that was basically Bad Boys + fantasy. I can see why critics don't like it but I enjoyed it the whole time. "I took like two years of elfish in high school" was a funnier line than anything in Last Jedi.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That makes sense, since there's a part later on where a character clearly acknowledges the symbol of that character Snowglobe of Doom mentions, it was pretty obvious that character's entire thing just got dropped.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Whatever flaws this movie has I can forgive for taking a concept like ORC COP and MAGIC TASK FORCE and mix it with cholo gangs and LA.This poo poo owns hard as gently caress.Thoroughly entertained during the 90-100 mins it lasts and Jakoby is surprisingly endearing, A+++ would see again.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Vhak lord of hate posted:

It was a really fun movie that was basically Bad Boys + fantasy. I can see why critics don't like it but I enjoyed it the whole time. "I took like two years of elfish in high school" was a funnier line than anything in Last Jedi.

Agreed

It's a stupid fun movie and it's done really well.

Have a few beers and enjoy it. It nails the premise.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/943714973003288577

"Well show me something you wrote" sure is one way to shoot down a critic I guess

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

To be fair, when some critics decided to actually try that, we got the French New Wave and Beyond The Valley of The Dolls.

Also the idea that Bright is the single worst movie released in 2017 when it's not even the worst cop buddy action comedy that came out this year (yes, CHiPS came out this year) is a bit much. CHiPS is really, really bad and doesn't even have the goofiness of the premise to drag it into interesting misfire.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
I feel like this movie sets up a really interesting world with a great cast and does a really graceful swan dive into an empty pool. It doesn’t really stick the landing at all, but if the hype is enough to get it a sequel with a script that’s a good thing.

Also, there’s a whole lot of extreme close ups of angry faces while something really cool happens over there. I think a less actiony story of these two just doing say to day stuff without the world endy plot would have served this concept a lot better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Cameo posted:

Also the idea that Bright is the single worst movie released in 2017 when it's not even the worst cop buddy action comedy that came out this year (yes, CHiPS came out this year) is a bit much. CHiPS is really, really bad and doesn't even have the goofiness of the premise to drag it into interesting misfire.

Yeah the hyperbole over this film is ridiculous.

Edit: I've got at least one friend whose reaction to the incredibly negative reviews was "Okay, now I've got to see this!" so it's not scaring everyone off. The added bonus is that his expectations will be super low so he'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 23, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/943714973003288577

"Well show me something you wrote" sure is one way to shoot down a critic I guess

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the complaints are... Stiff acting, Hackneyed plot, Poor Worldbuilding... And the production company name?

I mean, how is this different than a Marvel movie?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

OWLS! posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the complaints are... Stiff acting, Hackneyed plot, Poor Worldbuilding... And the production company name?

It’s not :ssh:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

OWLS! posted:

You get to be the first to drop a hyperbolic white-hot take on a B B- and brag about it, hopefully starting a pileon.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

OWLS! posted:

:arghfist::saddowns:

I was already planning to see it, because of Will Smith and also because it gives me that "indie comic from the 90's" where someone just smashes together two different concepts and runs hog wild with it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HardKase posted:

I enjoyed watching it. It had some strong worldbuilding.

It had the worst worldbuilding. Magic is real, elves are real, orcs are real, there was a huge battle against the forces of evil and yet the world is relatively unchanged by this. There still was a Shrek movie and battle for the Alamo for example.

And the female elf character was really badly written, she literally just stands around saying nothing until she has to do some magic (although I found it kinda funny that she supposed to a magic newbie and yet she does some really big magic).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alhazred posted:

It had the worst worldbuilding. Magic is real, elves are real, orcs are real, there was a huge battle against the forces of evil and yet the world is relatively unchanged by this. There still was a Shrek movie and battle for the Alamo for example.

And the female elf character was really badly written, she literally just stands around saying nothing until she has to do some magic (although I found it kinda funny that she supposed to a magic newbie and yet she does some really big magic).

I don't know- I thought the contemporary nature of it made the more modern contextual humor work- a lot of fantasy tries to tackle the same issues when they don't make sense in their renfaire setting, whereas orcs in LA makes the plot feel better.

It's not a particularly good good movie but I was down with it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Great thank you, now i want a shadowrun hbo show with Peter Dinklage as a dwarf face.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Toplowtech posted:

Great thank you, now i want a shadowrun hbo show with Peter Dinklage as a dwarf face.

I think the Orc gang boss mentions partying with dwarves down in Florida.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought the trailer was a joke at first

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
now we will never get a shadowrun movie

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Y'all ever release a film so bad several people decided it was time to come forward about how you're a sexual predator?

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/944296301356879873

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
"Yeah but like what if minorities were Orcs?" - A wealthy white Hollywood brat in the same year as Get Out

This movie loving sucked. There are so many things wrong with the trash fire script I can only sum up with that dreadful ending where they riff to the Magic Cops for entirely way too long. Some of the most groan inducing dialogue and one liners Ive heard all year. It tries so hard to be cool and edgy and its painfully on the nose allegorical world building comes off as half assed and exploitive of real social strife for the sake of a nerdy genre twist.

Max Landis is loving garbage and I even enjoy Dirk Gently. He has ONE succesful film so I dont know how he keeps getting feature work. I usually like David Ayers visuals but the action in this, besides a few moments, was so poorly shot and unintelligible. His visual tone clashed so hard with the awkward Landis wannabe Clerks/Tarantino/Apatow hybrid riffing.

The concept could have been interesting but the execution was miserable.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 23, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alhazred posted:

This was more evidence to me that it began life as an attempt at an official Shadowrun movie instead of just being a ripoff. It feels like a really specific point in that game's setting where history was our normal history, then crazy poo poo reawakened, and thing are kinda sorta slowly going back to "normal." The way the magic worked felt really reminiscent too wherein in Shadowrun only 5% of the entire world's population is able to do magic stuff at all, and for a lot of folks if you don't have access to a group of people or a space to train or whatever doing any of that is less something you learn and more something you experiment with a ton until you figure out how to not blow up everything you try to do magic at.

It's a big part of the cynicism (and absurdity) of Shadowrun though that all of this crazy poo poo went down and, buddy I got to get to work I got mouths to feed shut up with all this dragon poo poo.

The disjointed bits reminded me of my own Shadowrun games that I've run but not necessarily in a good way. Like hey life happens so we don't get to play for a while, or someone can't make it so their character isn't around during a pivotal moment, the players weren't having fun with a particular plot thread so they end up going off to do something totally different. The action scene in the convenience store was the exact kind of clusterfuck combat scenario you'd get in the game too.

I'm glad Max Landis' career is hopefully, finally, at least, toast now.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 23, 2017

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

It's a lot better than the new star wars.

Basically it's not boring, which seems to be the highest praise I can give a movie in 2017.

That's depressing.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

BoneMonkey posted:

Basically it's not boring, which seems to be the highest praise I can give a movie in 2017.
This is pretty much it.
The action is actiony and not completely pointless, so it's better than Iron Fist and family in that respect.
The story is "oh no, a macguffin" which places it neatly at the average story level.
The buddy-cops pretending they don't really like each other is a cliche that never gets old.
Would watch a sequel, because what else am I gonna watch, The Crown? The Last Jedi?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Other movies being bad doesn’t invalidate the reviewer’s point. It was okay at best. And written by a rapist.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Other movies being bad doesn’t invalidate the reviewer’s point. It was okay at best. And written by a rapist.

In the world of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
It's like if one of those sci-fi original movies had a budget but lost the self awareness.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Nasgate posted:

It's like if one of those sci-fi original movies had a budget but lost the self awareness.

The only syfy original movies that are good are the ones without self awareness.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nucleic Acids posted:

So pretty much all of hollywood movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Written initially by a rapist trying to make his Shadowrun OC into a movie.
Rewritten by a hack and directed by someone who I can only describe as "Micheal Bay but Sleepy".

Clumsy social commentary, tone deaf message, predictable plot, completely flat villains.
As much as I wanted this to be great, I hated it.

I think the only person on the crew that was good was the fight/stunt coordinator.
Then again, I hate any movie where the final fight ends in "shoot a loving laser at someone".

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Inzombiac posted:

Written initially by a rapist trying to make his Shadowrun OC into a movie.
Rewritten by a hack and directed by someone who I can only describe as "Micheal Bay but Sleepy".

Clumsy social commentary, tone deaf message, predictable plot, completely flat villains.
As much as I wanted this to be great, I hated it.

I think the only person on the crew that was good was the fight/stunt coordinator.
Then again, I hate any movie where the final fight ends in "shoot a loving laser at someone".

Did that really count as the final fight? Because what I'd count as the final fight was awesome. Also, I don't know what you tell you if you don't think this movie was self aware.

This movie swung for the fences, sure it missed constantly but it's more interesting than most of the big budget poo poo that's come out recently.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm pretty surprised to hear so many people hated it it shows right there on the tin it's a "buddy cop" movie in a fantasy world Netflix original starring Will Smith yet people thought that would be good? People had expectations for that?

The one thing I think they could have changed, should definitely have changed, was Orc minorities. Obviously it comes off as racist as gently caress but also I think that in a human world Orcs would be more successful because it's the humans that are willing to do anything to get ahead are the ones that get ahead which is more of an Orc trait. Just look at our president he's basically an Orc and he's the loving president. Someone apparently thought Orc mexicans was biting commentary but we could have had Orc Trump being backed by Orc Fascists on the streets which would have been more on point. Likewise, this movie they had Elves as hyper competent supermen but you could just as easily make them into hyper sensitive tree huggers and hipsters then put them at the bottom of the ladder instead of Orcs then been less insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

AccountSupervisor posted:

"Yeah but like what if minorities were Orcs?" - A wealthy white Hollywood brat in the same year as Get Out

This movie loving sucked. There are so many things wrong with the trash fire script I can only sum up with that dreadful ending where they riff to the Magic Cops for entirely way too long. Some of the most groan inducing dialogue and one liners Ive heard all year. It tries so hard to be cool and edgy and its painfully on the nose allegorical world building comes off as half assed and exploitive of real social strife for the sake of a nerdy genre twist.

Max Landis is loving garbage and I even enjoy Dirk Gently. He has ONE succesful film so I dont know how he keeps getting feature work. I usually like David Ayers visuals but the action in this, besides a few moments, was so poorly shot and unintelligible. His visual tone clashed so hard with the awkward Landis wannabe Clerks/Tarantino/Apatow hybrid riffing.

The concept could have been interesting but the execution was miserable.

David Ayer rewrote the entire script and also made everyone improvise heavily. Max Landis has basically only the premise to his name. Also the movie loving rules.

• Locked thread