Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Get Out is the only movie that handled race better this year, now that you mention it, but that's a serious "Film" movie and this is a stock genre piece made with competence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Under the vegetable posted:

Get Out is the only movie that handled race better this year, now that you mention it, but that's a serious "Film" movie and this is a stock genre piece made with competence.

Get Out is also a stock genre piece made with competence.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It's made with a hell of a lot more originality and skill than Bright, and transcends the genre. Bright is a movie that would star Steven Seagal as the orc if it were made 20 years earlier.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This film handled race terribly. The first 20 or so minutes before they found the wand was terrible; you could probably cut it and the movie would be better.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I liked the casual dragon. Just hanging around, NBD

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

transcends the genre.

Ah, the ol' "transcends the genre" argument.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
when someone makes a movie thats better than any horror movie released in 20 years and any comedy released in 20 years yeah it sort of does. what are you after?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
is it somehow bad to make good movies now?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I seek only the TRUTH.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

when someone makes a movie thats better than any horror movie released in 20 years and any comedy released in 20 years yeah it sort of does. what are you after?

I liked Get Out but lol. You gotta watch more movies my dude.

Also saw this last night and started drinking heavily at "Fairy lives don't matter" so I don't really remember a lot of it. . The concept feels like something I've read in a comic book before but I might just be thinking about Fables or something similar.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Ghosthotel posted:

I liked Get Out but lol. You gotta watch more movies my dude.

Also saw this last night and started drinking heavily at "Fairy lives don't matter" so I don't really remember a lot of it. . The concept feels like something I've read in a comic book before but I might just be thinking about Fables or something similar.

It's just Shadowrun.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Shadowrun has the whole cyberpunk thing going for it, but yeah I guess it's pretty much the same.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I'll watch it since it looks like they did a total rewrite of everything Landis did, seems interestingly bad enough to give it a watch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's just Shadowrun.

Man, a Shadowrun movie would've had loving President Dunklezahn released at the same time that President Smoothbrain is occupying the White House. Talk about missed opportunities.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the elven woman with platinum blonde hair, intense eye makeup, and some vaguely evil lines in the trailer is gonna be my favorite character. What's her deal? Does she hate cops? Wanna get inside her head, figure out where she's at

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
So, for those who don't like it, will you watch the next installment that's already been greenlit?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

The disjointed bits reminded me of my own Shadowrun games that I've run but not necessarily in a good way. Like hey life happens so we don't get to play for a while, or someone can't make it so their character isn't around during a pivotal moment, the players weren't having fun with a particular plot thread so they end up going off to do something totally different. The action scene in the convenience store was the exact kind of clusterfuck combat scenario you'd get in the game too.

Yeah the film really did feel like someone tried to turn their Shadowrun game into a script. Like, it wasn't that but it felt like that.

Ghosthotel posted:

There's a ton of similar stuff out there, 'urban fantasy' has been a thing for at least a few decades and there were a ton of "modern life but with mythological creatures" novels before that. There's also a poo poo ton of "modern world but with hidden magic" stuff out there, Harry Potter being the obvious example.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/21/16805748/netflix-bright-sequel-will-smith-joel-edgerton

orc cop 2

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Buhh how can Shrek be made in a universe with orcs says a person in a world where presumably no movies have been made that have insulting depictions of a race. Maybe that's the Orc's Song of the South. Anything is possible in the rich lore of the Brightverse.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The problem with a shadowrun movie is that they wouldn't make a movie using the 1989 ruleset and after the internet stopped being fictional and became a real thing shadowrun never recovered or knew what to do with anything. If anyone made a real shadowrun movie I'd want real deckers, not the weird wifi cell phone stuff they got into later.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a ton of similar stuff out there, 'urban fantasy' has been a thing for at least a few decades and there were a ton of "modern life but with mythological creatures" novels before that. There's also a poo poo ton of "modern world but with hidden magic" stuff out there, Harry Potter being the obvious example.

Oh yeah the whole urban fantasy thing im familiar with. I should have specified that I meant the plot specifically seemed like something I had seen before. It's likely just me mixing up a bunch of stuff I've read in the past. The movie doesn't really do anything super interesting with it's setting but I also only remember like 75% of it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The problem with a shadowrun movie is that they wouldn't make a movie using the 1989 ruleset and after the internet stopped being fictional and became a real thing shadowrun never recovered or knew what to do with anything. If anyone made a real shadowrun movie I'd want real deckers, not the weird wifi cell phone stuff they got into later.
I think to make the setting work as modern you'd have to make the world slightly more magicky, like the internet uses computer technology at the interfaces but the communication part uses magic, and there's no wifi because in the presence of magic as a communication medium nobody ever invented radio. Which makes mobile internet devices prohibitively expensive for most people, because magic. And even if you have a mobile device it doesn't have enough bandwidth to do the really serious decker things, so people still have to properly "jack in", and your virtual world of hacking still gets to look like magical Tron instead of looking like nerds typing "cat /etc/passwd".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

roomforthetuna posted:

I think to make the setting work as modern you'd have to make the world slightly more magicky, like the internet uses computer technology at the interfaces but the communication part uses magic, and there's no wifi because in the presence of magic as a communication medium nobody ever invented radio. Which makes mobile internet devices prohibitively expensive for most people, because magic. And even if you have a mobile device it doesn't have enough bandwidth to do the really serious decker things, so people still have to properly "jack in", and your virtual world of hacking still gets to look like magical Tron instead of looking like nerds typing "cat /etc/passwd".

Real shadowrun got worse and worse because real world technology kept obsoleting their game mechanics. The very newest one fixed it some by going "uhh, every computer on earth crashed and we replaced them with more 80s like computers because it's more secure" hand waves that got it back to being better. But then added a lot of wifi magic stuff that is thematically stupid but made the gameplay better because that game had a huge issue of having an hour of computer world side tracking that only some of the players participated and that was bad for the game play experience but better for the world building.

Like it's better to make offbrand shadowrun at this point than actual shadowrun since it was a game that was at it's peak before the real world ruined it. (same with Paranoia, that just never was good again after the USSR stopped being a thing because the real world ruined their future story beats)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(same with Paranoia, that just never was good again after the USSR stopped being a thing because the real world ruined their future story beats)
What, why wouldn't Paranoia just persist as being set in a world that diverged from reality during the cold war, and stagnated there because, y'know, its setting would be pretty loving great at stagnating.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I thought I was not going to enjoy this because of the savage reviews but this is a drat good film. Like it's tense through out, it has great production values, and everything meshes real well.

Really don't see why people don't like it. I thought it was fantastic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny, I'm starting it now and it feels like it's trying to address the ideal of fantasy races as racial stereotypes, something that never really gets talked about in tabletop circles and what not. Orcs as black people, elves as Asians or whatever. It's real silly how clumsy it feels, maybe it's not intentional but I can appreciate it in that sense.

edit: I would have much rather had a movie about Samuel J. Battle, the first black officer in New York. He has a pretty interesting history to tell a movie around, just going off of a Wikipedia summary.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 24, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I don't really think any of the races map to human races.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't really think any of the races map to human races.

The lack of people of color in the majority of fantasy scenarios, starting with Tolkien which didn't get a black character until Shadow of War, shows an all-white human race going up against dark skinned physically strong brutes that plays into a lot of stereotypes of black people. There's also an "Eastern Horde" in RotK. Even Tolkien has expressed regret with how this came across in his stories.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Now that Max Landis is a creepy raper guy it kind of sapped any remaining will I had to watch it. Are there any reviews that do a good job of getting into the problems of the movie? I'm at least curious on how what seemed like a neat concept ended up souring so many critics.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Taintrunner posted:

It's funny, I'm starting it now and it feels like it's trying to address the ideal of fantasy races as racial stereotypes, something that never really gets talked about in tabletop circles and what not. Orcs as black people, elves as Asians or whatever. It's real silly how clumsy it feels, maybe it's not intentional but I can appreciate it in that sense.

edit: I would have much rather had a movie about Samuel J. Battle, the first black officer in New York. He has a pretty interesting history to tell a movie around, just going off of a Wikipedia summary.

How could it not be intentional?
If we had 15 more minutes of world building, it could have been saved.

Why are the Elves at the top of the social ladder?

It's implied that the 9 races somehow saved the Orcs and the Orcs don't appreciate it? I've heard that argument from white supremacists about black people. It's disgusting.

The Dark Lord was an Elf that nearly destroyed the world, I assume with the wands, and was somehow vanquished.

Why are there three wands? If they have the power to alter reality, why not one? The tension is deflated when the (completely flat) villain has two wands that can do anything but is willing to die for the third because... greed? Why not use the other two to summon the third?
Should have just been one. The one the Dark Lord used.

Centaur Cop ruled, though.

The way the cops talked about the Orcs is how racist cops talk about black/Hispanic people. That couldn't have been more clumsy.
It seems like the Orcs are looked down upon for some vague tribalism?
They keep alluding to it but give not clear reason why everyone shits on them constantly.

You know what would have worked?
The Dark Lord being an Elf that used the wand to enslave the Orcs as his army. Not using Elves because he wouldn't was to sully their name but he saw Orcs as lesser.
Even though the Orcs didn't have a choice, people still harbor hate/distrust because of the war.

But no, we get clumsy racist allegories.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dork457 posted:

Now that Max Landis is a creepy raper guy it kind of sapped any remaining will I had to watch it. Are there any reviews that do a good job of getting into the problems of the movie? I'm at least curious on how what seemed like a neat concept ended up souring so many critics.

He distanced himself from the movie pre-release because Ayer basically rewrote everything. Even the "fairy lives don't matter" is a Smith improv.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Inzombiac posted:

It's implied that the 9 races somehow saved the Orcs and the Orcs don't appreciate it? I've heard that argument from white supremacists about black people. It's disgusting.

The Dark Lord was an Elf that nearly destroyed the world, I assume with the wands, and was somehow vanquished.

Why are there three wands? If they have the power to alter reality, why not one? The tension is deflated when the (completely flat) villain has two wands that can do anything but is willing to die for the third because... greed? Why not use the other two to summon the third?
Should have just been one. The one the Dark Lord used.

Centaur Cop ruled, though.

The way the cops talked about the Orcs is how racist cops talk about black/Hispanic people. That couldn't have been more clumsy.
It seems like the Orcs are looked down upon for some vague tribalism?
They keep alluding to it but give not clear reason why everyone shits on them constantly.

You know what would have worked?
The Dark Lord being an Elf that used the wand to enslave the Orcs as his army. Not using Elves because he wouldn't was to sully their name but he saw Orcs as lesser.

Even though the Orcs didn't have a choice, people still harbor hate/distrust because of the war.

But no, we get clumsy racist allegories.

I have some bad news for you about the conspiratorial relationship many white supremacists believe in regarding Jewish people and black people.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Neo Rasa posted:

I have some bad news for you about the conspiratorial relationship many white supremacists believe in regarding Jewish people and black people.

Okay, yeah. Everything is trash.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does nobody give a poo poo about the giant loving dragon coasting over LA?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Unoriginal Name posted:

I liked the casual dragon. Just hanging around, NBD

Where was the dragon?

I liked the centaur.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, Shadowrun shouldn't try to distance itself from being a 80s vision of the future it should embrace it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Where was the dragon?

I liked the centaur.

There's a shot of the city at night with fat fuckin' dragon just flying by.

Also the Latino gangbangers rolling into the Orc punk mosh pit was pretty funny. And gently caress it, we gonna titty bar gunfight die is a genuinely funny line.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 24, 2017

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Inzombiac posted:

They explain that. Elves are at the top because they have the most mages (human Brights being rare as gently caress), not hard to see how having a near monopoly on magic would make you a different kind of 1%.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, yeah. Everything is trash.

It's really cool you subconsciously came up with an alt right talking point and all it took was a very thin racial metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Vhak lord of hate posted:

It's really cool you subconsciously came up with an alt right talking point and all it took was a very thin racial metaphor

People say the racial politics in this movie are clumsy and blunt when they're actually too realistic and subtle for most SA posters to get.

• Locked thread