Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Landis's original script where you can just sit down and learn magic if you do enough homework sounds way lamer than the movie we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Under the vegetable posted:

You don't speak for every black person you insane racist. Your entire first paragraph might as well be spoken into a mirror. I'm really sick of people who live on fomenting hatred and violence and try to shout down everyone working for peace. Maybe if you gave a single poo poo you'd know that the US doesn't just THINK black people should still be slaves, they're literally in robes in historically unprecedented numbers picking cotton for private individual's profits right now. The 13th only abolished slavery "except as punishment for a crime" and then America just doubled down since. And you're talking about how an anti-racist loving movie hurts.

The movie isn't anti racist, that you think so is the same dumb post racial bullshit Get Out was specifically pointing out. At most it's about 3 beings working to stay alive, even Ward admits repeatedly he's a piece of poo poo. The script was even intended for a white man, that will Smith plays him didn't change the words he says or the world he's in. You closing your eyes to that and calling me a racist for pointing that out would be ironic if it wasn't a part of the tried and true fragility guilt trip use to kick the actual race discussion down the road so you don't have to feel bad for being on the wrong side of it.

Also, something more than "nuhuh" is needed to actually back up your claim that the movie is anti racist, whatever that means. You do realize the nypd employs black people and they're considered a racist institution. So why would a fantasy version of that be enlightening?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 28, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

but a member of the cult fell in with a competing, opposed cult instead.
And the movie says nothing about her motivation to do so.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

She says "what you love is rotten and bad" or w/e and that's about as much motivation as she needs, really.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

bushisms.txt posted:

the tried and true fragility guilt trip use to kick the actual race discussion down the road so you don't have to feel bad for being on the wrong side of it.

this seems to be your entire position w this particular example of progressive art

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

this seems to be your entire position w this particular example of progressive art

Can you point out why it's progressive or you just gonna keep flailing at your hurt feelings about being a racist?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The thing I'm taking away from the populist backlash against criticism of Bright is that the issue of film quality is entirely one of ticket price and people will proudly scarf down garbage with a smile on their face so long as they don't have to pay for it up front.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
To be fair, I have MoviePass and it made Geostorm and Justice League much more tolerable than had I spent money to see them individually.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

The thing I'm taking away from the populist backlash against criticism of Bright is that the issue of film quality is entirely one of ticket price and people will proudly scarf down garbage with a smile on their face so long as they don't have to pay for it up front.

I mean... I just didn't think it was garbage. I thought it was basically fine. :shrug:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

bushisms.txt posted:

Can you point out why it's progressive or you just gonna keep flailing at your hurt feelings about being a racist?

I, and many others, have done so itt several times. You just keep screaming that it's racist because Mexicans are cast in the movie and poo poo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I, and many others, have done so itt several times. You just keep screaming that it's racist because Mexicans are cast in the movie and poo poo.

So, no, you can't, especially after we've discussed how a black man working in the nypd doesn't stop the institution from being racist. It's ok to not know how to articulate how you feel about a movie. Rolling around in ignorance like are, afraid of other people's takes, doesn't do you any favors.

Easy question: can you point to the moment when their relationship wasn't out of an obligation to staying alive? And remember, not killing someone doesn't mean you're not a racist, half the country has gotten by without doing it, so a cop being able to do it, shouldn't exactly be commendable.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 29, 2017

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They kept calling Ward a diversity hire and then he was very bad at his job, proving that he was in fact a diversity hire. The racists in the movie get proven right a few times.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

Is that some shocking discovery for you? That people have lower standards for things that cost less?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol about cost factoring into enjoying things in this day and age where everyone with 2 molecules can get something for free.

Bright is a good movie. The $10 CDN I pay for Netflix is well worth it for projects like this. And along with all the other amazing shows they put out (Master of None, Big Mouth, etc whatever you like).

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Gumball Gumption posted:

They kept calling Ward a diversity hire and then he was very bad at his job, proving that he was in fact a diversity hire. The racists in the movie get proven right a few times.

I assume you meant Jakoby, but him being bad at being a cop is actually a point in his favour. The cops are horrible racist violent assholes. Not being like them is a plus.

Also, he saves a kid from the cops, correctly decides to defend the wand when Ward wanted to bail out in the titty bar and insisted on saving plot device elf when Ward's plan would have killed her.

It's not subtle, Will Smith directly says to him "You're the man I wish I was".

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Gumball Gumption posted:

Will Smith (Ward) literally has a monologue like halfway into the movie where he says Jakoby is a better cop than he is because he actually took the job for the right reasons and wants to serve and improve the community---and that's what makes a good cop, not being able to noscope four dudes on a whiparound and car chases.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It was bad but not terrible. The dialogue was the least favourite thing for me. All these F-bombs, they were egregious.

Still I like my modern fantasy so I liked it. If there's a sequel I'll watch it.

Seriously though, Joel Edgerton's performance was the highlight of the film. Talk about shooting for the moon. He brings the goods

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Will Smith (Ward) literally has a monologue like halfway into the movie where he says Jakoby is a better cop than he is because he actually took the job for the right reasons and wants to serve and improve the community---and that's what makes a good cop, not being able to noscope four dudes on a whiparound and car chases.

If Jakoby wanted to serve and help his community he shouldn't have become a cop tbh.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghosthotel posted:

If Jakoby wanted to serve and help his community he shouldn't have become a cop tbh.

Doogie Bloodfist, Orc MD would have been an awesome movie

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

So, no, you can't, especially after we've discussed how a black man working in the nypd doesn't stop the institution from being racist. It's ok to not know how to articulate how you feel about a movie. Rolling around in ignorance like are, afraid of other people's takes, doesn't do you any favors.

Easy question: can you point to the moment when their relationship wasn't out of an obligation to staying alive? And remember, not killing someone doesn't mean you're not a racist, half the country has gotten by without doing it, so a cop being able to do it, shouldn't exactly be commendable.

dude I don’t have a dog in this fight but just jumping in to say I can’t figure out what the gently caress point you’re arguing at this point and I doubt he can either

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

josh04 posted:

She says "what you love is rotten and bad" or w/e and that's about as much motivation as she needs, really.

If you're gonna have character go from being evil to good you need more than that. She's a major character and yet minor characters like latino gang leader is written with more agency and motivation than her. She has so little agency that she literally has to be carried around.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 29, 2017

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Really liked it, would actually prefer it was made into a TV series, 8/10 for me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mandrel posted:

dude I don’t have a dog in this fight but just jumping in to say I can’t figure out what the gently caress point you’re arguing at this point and I doubt he can either

Frankly there isn't a point as I'm just trying to figure out why they're so adverse to thinking about the movie outside of it's aesthetics by asking them questions that poke their theory, that the movie is racially progressive. That poster got mad that I and others pointed out this movie doesn't know what it's doing with race. They considered it as calling the film racist, which I've never once called the film racist, but it is using racist memes and tropes that never do anything with them. They continued going down some tangent about how we see racism cause we're racist, and now you're caught up. Django unchained also presents racism with out giving a satisfactory ending, but it's presented as part of the theme of the film, that there is no satisfactory response to racism. That this poster immediately jumped from film has racism in it to therefore it's racist is why we can't have these discussions in the first place.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 29, 2017

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The best thing about this "movie is or is not racist" argument is that if I take any of the more recent posts without looking at the username I can't tell which one of them posted it or which side it's on.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Alhazred posted:

If you're gonna have character go from being evil to good you need more than that. She's a major character and yet minor characters like latino gang leader is written with more agency and motivation than her. She has so little agency that she literally has to be carried around.

She doesn't go from being evil to good. She's a good guy at the start of the film and remains good till the end. She isn't really a major character, either, which is a shame, because the film is lacking fleshed-out female roles.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

josh04 posted:

She doesn't go from being evil to good. She's a good guy at the start of the film and remains good till the end. She isn't really a major character, either, which is a shame, because the film is lacking fleshed-out female roles.

I haven't read Max's script, but are all the female characters as dull on his script as it was on the final thing?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

roomforthetuna posted:

The premise of this movie is that someone in the LAPD was ordered "we've gotta get a token minority in the department" and misheard it as "we've gotta get a Tolkien minority in the department."
Quoting myself because I feel like this amazing joke that is the best thing in this thread or ever didn't get enough attention.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

josh04 posted:

She used to be part of the evil elf sect, when Smith and Orc meets her she has defected but we never learn why.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
We also never learn why the blue haired Magic Fed didn't become a line cook or how that centaur got his job.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

roomforthetuna posted:

Quoting myself because I feel like this amazing joke that is the best thing in this thread or ever didn't get enough attention.

The "Tolkein minority" joke was already made months ago when the only two white actors in Black Panther were Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Alhazred posted:

Honestly I don't think the movie needed to explain why someone would eventually realize the hosed up doomsday cult that raised them is bad and would try to run away. That happens IRL all the time.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Guy Mann posted:

It's more about expectations than price. If you came into this movie expecting any kind of social commentary you will go away disappointed as gently caress. If you recalibrate your expectations down to Bad Boys: Rivendell Edition, it's satisfying as hell. Elf ninjas and centaur cops all drat day.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

The "Tolkein minority" joke was already made months ago when the only two white actors in Black Panther were Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis.
I had to look that up, because the joke made no sense. Who remembers who played Bilbo and a CGI character?! What a waste of that joke, when it could have been saved for this movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

roomforthetuna posted:

I had to look that up, because the joke made no sense. Who remembers who played Bilbo and a CGI character?! What a waste of that joke, when it could have been saved for this movie.

Andy Serkis is pretty much known for playing CGI characters now, and Martin Freeman already has a lot of fans because of Sherlock.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
why'd Max landis rape those people, and figuratively the audience of bright

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

roomforthetuna posted:

it was good. Also I don’t remember centaur cop at all.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gone Fashing posted:

There's actually at least two centaur cops. Or maybe it was the same one in two different scenes. He had little kneepads on his horse-knees. It was great.

Seriously, I want to know more about the life of centaur cop. Do they have a pickup truck so he can go on ride-alongs?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Seriously, I want to know more about the life of centaur cop. Do they have a pickup truck so he can go on ride-alongs?

Perhaps he gets ridden by a human cop, like a real-world mounted policeman?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gone Fashing posted:

I think you can see one in the police barricade outside posh elf-town. The other one I don't remember because all I could think was "drat, centaur cop, awesome."

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's actually at least two centaur cops. Or maybe it was the same one in two different scenes. He had little kneepads on his horse-knees. It was great.

A mini-series of centaur cop daily life would be a dream come true. And I'm completely serious :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

The MSJ posted:

Andy Serkis is pretty much known for playing CGI characters now, and Martin Freeman already has a lot of fans because of Sherlock.

Also fuckin The Office

• Locked thread