Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Samizdata posted:

I didn't see a poll

The poll is in the little (i) in the top right of the video.. Quite hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Voted PR btw. Having Jack know what's going on with Monarch sounds interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
While the death of Willian Joyce is, of course, sad, it was also needed to preserve the mission, actors who are direct threats need to be dealt with. But while this may sound evil, the end goal is still saving humanity. Thus dealing with actors who aren't direct threats, especially civilians who have no idea what's going on, is going against the goal of the mission.

Seriously though Paul Serene doesn't sound like a stereotypical villain, so we shouldn't push him towards that. PR makes much more sense no matter how you look at it, while he might have magic time powers, Jack's still only one person, an entire city, if not a whole country becoming your enemy would be much, much worse.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 11, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

The poll is in the little (i) in the top right of the video.. Quite hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Voted PR btw. Having Jack know what's going on with Monarch sounds interesting to me.

I found it, but all the weak-willed weenies are picking PR. Cheers for the heads up. First YT poll I have ever seen.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Paul has mentioned that he's done the hard/immoral thing before, but I like to believe that, since he honestly believes he's doing the right thing overall, that he would only do terrible things like murdering women in cold blood if it was a hugely last resort. I want to believe that he knows that doing such would form a slippery slope until he becomes a mustache-twirling monster by the end. Paul doesn't seem to want to be "evil", and right now his plans are going relatively well; there's no need to be too drastic at this point.

Also I like villains who have at least some decency, so it's not as simple as rooting for the good guy just because the villain is worse.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I went with PR from Serene's point of view: If Jack is informed of what is going on, that sucks, but he's public enemy number one; people aren't likely to listen to him. Public opinion can go a long way, and having a radio propaganda machine can be drat useful.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Charlett posted:

Paul has mentioned that he's done the hard/immoral thing before, but I like to believe that, since he honestly believes he's doing the right thing overall, that he would only do terrible things like murdering women in cold blood if it was a hugely last resort. I want to believe that he knows that doing such would form a slippery slope until he becomes a mustache-twirling monster by the end. Paul doesn't seem to want to be "evil", and right now his plans are going relatively well; there's no need to be too drastic at this point.

Also I like villains who have at least some decency, so it's not as simple as rooting for the good guy just because the villain is worse.

Decency and evil can be somewhat situational, depending on your "vision".

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I gotta admit, there's something really off-putting for me when games are this explicit about the player being presented with a choice. It reminds me of this moment in BioShock -- it's the dramatic equivalent of a laughtrack, walloping your audience over the head with the fact that look, there is a choice here, see how much you're affecting the story!

To contrast, one of my favourite computer game moments was in the first Geneforge game. For context, the game is about a struggle to control a machine on a remote island that turns people into gods, bascially, and one option is to use it on yourself. In my playthrough, I did this and then escaped from the island. This gives you the worst ending: once I showed up on the mainland, everybody realised the Geneforge existed, headed over to use it on themselves, and destroyed the world in a war of godlike wizards. To get a better ending, you need to destroy the Geneforge before you leave, so that nobody else can use it.

Here's what I love: The game doesn't explicitly state that it's an option. After using the Geneforge, you're not presented with a "DESTROY THE GENEFORGE? LEAVE THE GENEFORGE INTACT?" binary choice; it's only if you think to click on the Geneforge again after becoming a god that the game will include in the dialogue choices the opportunity to destroy it. You have to think for yourself to tie your loose ends up, and if you don't, the game isn't going to prompt you to do it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...poo poo. Now I'm extremely interested in Paul Serene's past. The hell kind of life has he lived, in hiding from anyone who knew him?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Voted for the PR route, since I don't think Paul is some mustache twirling evil dude. How many branches like this are there in the game and what are the scopes of changes to the game?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think Paul would only do the terribly immoral thing if it had a clear-cut, obvious benefit towards stopping the end of time.

Inciting riots and earning Jack tons of help towards stopping Monarch isn't that.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I think I like PR more for Paul Serene. It makes sense to me thematically, and considering Jack Joyce's troubled history, would be more believable. Hardline is a better choice though. I would've liked to continue listening to Bobby on the radio. He sounds like the kind of late-night radio I'd like to tune in to.

I really like that vote thingy. Google might well be the new Evil Empire, but they do some up with interesting ideas.

It's interesting that the Hardline decision has Liam Burke very prominently displayed. In the meantime, the PR decision has Martin Hatch.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
From a purely practical perspective, what have all these witnesses really seen? Like, no one's gonna believe in magical time powers, so the "Jack Joyce is a crazed terrorist, all the witnesses are all shook and possibly affected by him blowing up some research chemicals or whatever" story seems like it'd be pretty easy to sell.

Meanwhile, killing "witnesses" seems kinda difficult to pull off without immediately having word come out, unless the protests were much smaller than I assume. And even then, you probably had people working in nearby buildings, who'd have seen people being apprehended by Monarch personnel. Are you gonna kill them to, to ensure that no one knows that Monarch apprehended a bunch of people that later turned up dead? PR is the obvious choice even without taking morality into consideration.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

From a purely practical perspective, what have all these witnesses really seen? Like, no one's gonna believe in magical time powers, so the "Jack Joyce is a crazed terrorist, all the witnesses are all shook and possibly affected by him blowing up some research chemicals or whatever" story seems like it'd be pretty easy to sell.

Meanwhile, killing "witnesses" seems kinda difficult to pull off without immediately having word come out, unless the protests were much smaller than I assume. And even then, you probably had people working in nearby buildings, who'd have seen people being apprehended by Monarch personnel. Are you gonna kill them to, to ensure that no one knows that Monarch apprehended a bunch of people that later turned up dead? PR is the obvious choice even without taking morality into consideration.

Yeah, the same research chemicals the witnesses tragically died from exposure to. And that terrorist Jack shot some of our guards too!

(You make Hardline sound like it is a classic Nazi-style mass shooting/mass grave situation. I mean, really, it's a pity that all those protestors died when that building collapsed.) And, recall, despite his last name, Paul had ZERO issues with capping Jack's brother too.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I chose Hardline because Monarch seems to be at a stage in their plans where they're prepared to use force to solve all their problems, and confronting Jack directly, instead of having him sneak around getting classified information, is probably going to be less troubling even with all the angry protestors.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Add me to the pile of 'really impressed with the polish and presentation' fan club.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I must say YET is always very skilled at getting his viewers very invested in his LPs, and I hope all the discussions of Hardline (the only REAL way) versus PR (the little girly man way) really makes the nightmare of him presenting each path worthwhile.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, the same research chemicals the witnesses tragically died from exposure to. And that terrorist Jack shot some of our guards too!

(You make Hardline sound like it is a classic Nazi-style mass shooting/mass grave situation. I mean, really, it's a pity that all those protestors died when that building collapsed.) And, recall, despite his last name, Paul had ZERO issues with capping Jack's brother too.
It's the modern day, videos of witnesses getting apprehended are probably all over the web already. That would be a problem for either approach, but I think keeping witnesses around to sell the most plausible story you can come up with based on what information is already out there, would be the least bad option for Monarch - unless they, right from the start, were somehow preventing anyone anywhere near the protests from sending data somehow.

e: Actually, the most obvious reason to go for the PR approach is the fact that Paul knows Jack will meet up with a person he has in his custody - just put a tracker on her, and she'll lead you right to him. I assume Paul can't literally see what's shown, though if he could, he should just note the time when they're hanging out at the computer and blow the place up.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 13, 2018

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

lethial posted:

Voted for the PR route, since I don't think Paul is some mustache twirling evil dude. How many branches like this are there in the game and what are the scopes of changes to the game?

There's five or six, I think? They actually can change things pretty drastically, up to and including entire subplots getting written out/mutually exclusive characters/which bosses you fight.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's the modern day, videos of witnesses getting apprehended are probably all over the web already. That would be a problem for either approach, but I think keeping witnesses around to sell the most plausible story you can come up with based on what information is already out there, would be the least bad option for Monarch - unless they, right from the start, were somehow preventing anyone anywhere near the protests from sending data somehow.

e: Actually, the most obvious reason to go for the PR approach is the fact that Paul knows Jack will meet up with a person he has in his custody - just put a tracker on her, and she'll lead you right to him. I assume Paul can't literally see what's shown, though if he could, he should just note the time when they're hanging out at the computer and blow the place up.

Yeah, and I am sure things like the gunshots and partial building collapse made a whole lot of noise too. But, once again, that damned Jack shot all the witnesses and some guards too!

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Samizdata posted:

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, and I am sure things like the gunshots and partial building collapse made a whole lot of noise too. But, once again, that damned Jack shot all the witnesses and some guards too!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Paul Serene is the good guy of this game, and Jack *is* actually a crazed terrorist who has zero compunctions in killing anyone and everyone who comes near him.

I mean, it's a YET let's play; you know no-one is going to be left alive. The lucky will die of a bullet, the unlucky will die gruesome deaths from wierd time powers. Either way the last sound they'll hear is a deeply disturbing evil cackle as they die :ohdear:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Paul Serene is the good guy of this game, and Jack *is* actually a crazed terrorist who has zero compunctions in killing anyone and everyone who comes near him.

Hah! Jack's history and background are pretty sketchy. I don't think that a big budget game would be quite so perverse as to have the player character be an evil git. I think they're just trying to handwave Jack's apparent familiarity with firearms, and trying to explain why he wasn't in the country for so long.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I mean, it's a YET let's play; you know no-one is going to be left alive. The lucky will die of a bullet, the unlucky will die gruesome deaths from wierd time powers. Either way the last sound they'll hear is a deeply disturbing evil cackle as they die :ohdear:

Followed by the frenzied sound of apologies for the cackling.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I've got to say, notwithstanding how much Paul's been telling himself how harsh he's been in the past, I just don't think he has the grit to make the hardline choice if he can talk himself out of it. While he has all sorts of clever reasonings (and I think it's the smart choice for Monarch anyway), I think ultimately he just wouldn't bring himself to look Amy in the eye and order her death.

None of the above is my reason for voting PR, though, I just love seeing propaganda. I love seeing just how badly the truth can get wrenched and twisted.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well, I put off watching this for reasons unknown and I blitzed through the first three episodes and was about ready to buy the game myself before finding out that this is that drat Xbox 1 exclusive game I totally forgot about. So, great work on the videos, I was totally hooked but stopped by the fact that I don't have the right console for this game. Which is a shame but I'll live.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It's currently 75% off on Steam right now too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Well, I put off watching this for reasons unknown and I blitzed through the first three episodes and was about ready to buy the game myself before finding out that this is that drat Xbox 1 exclusive game I totally forgot about. So, great work on the videos, I was totally hooked but stopped by the fact that I don't have the right console for this game. Which is a shame but I'll live.

It is on PC now, you know?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RareAcumen posted:

It WAS an exclusive. It's still a hefty game to run on pc though.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is it also a massive download? Bandwidth is a problem for me.

I think I downloaded Just Cause 3 while I was staying at a hotel because it was a 40GB download.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mindblast posted:

It WAS an exclusive. It's still a hefty game to run on pc though.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It is on PC now, you know?

Vadoc posted:

It's currently 75% off on Steam right now too.

I absolutely cannot run it on my laptop so it might as well be exclusive to me. My laptop can barely play Darkest Dungeon at a respectable framerate, it's not running Quantum Break.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I absolutely cannot run it on my laptop so it might as well be exclusive to me. My laptop can barely play Darkest Dungeon at a respectable framerate, it's not running Quantum Break.

Crikey, my laptop can barely run Linux at a respectable frame rate, much less Windows.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

painedforever posted:

Hah! Jack's history and background are pretty sketchy. I don't think that a big budget game would be quite so perverse as to have the player character be an evil git. I think they're just trying to handwave Jack's apparent familiarity with firearms, and trying to explain why he wasn't in the country for so long.

I agree that it's probably just a handwave. Though I do find it suspicious that the game will never go into more detail about what Jack has gotten up to for the past 6 years... and I wonder if that is intentional? It's like Remedy are hinting that Jack is some kind of smuggler, maybe even a drug trafficker or gun-runner. Or maybe an anarchist or freedom fighter? (In which case the authorities and governments of those countries might consider him a terrorist!)

In the novel, Quantum Break: Zero State, he's also a freelance travel writer for online travel guides. He bums around far-east nations, just doing whatever, and when he runs out of money he writes a few articles about the local sights, things to do etc. And I guess he sometimes he gets mixed up in shady criminal activity.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

NYEEEAH HA HA HA HA!!!

Samizdata posted:

Followed by the frenzied sound of apologies for the cackling.

Incinerating enemies with a flamethrower and declaring "I am a terrible person" is a statement of fact. I'm not sure if it also counts as an apology. ;)

Though I did feel bad when killing engineers in TimeShift, or brainwashed slaves in Inversion. The fact that Inversion throws hordes of brainwashed slaves at you and gives you a lava gun to deal with them is pretty drat dark. And yet ridiculously entertaining. And then you can't help but feel bad for finding it so entertaining.

RareAcumen posted:

One of the reasons I like to make my Let's Plays so thorough is that I expect that most viewers will never get to play the game themselves. Although viewers don't get the personal satisfaction of using the controls and defeating the enemies, in all other regards I hope the LP provides a comprehensive experience of playing the game.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Thanks for voting everyone! Here are the results:
PR: 76% (98)
Hardline: 23% (30)
Total responses: 128

Paul Serene chooses the PR approach, which leads us into the fifth and final part of Act 1, 'Monarch Solutions', the first episode of the live-action television series.

October 9th, 2016, 6:19am
When tasked with finding Jack's missing transport, Liam Burke starts to discover the truth behind Monarch's long-term plans.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

your evil twin posted:

Paul Serene chooses the PR approach, which leads us into the fifth and final part of Act 1, 'Monarch Solutions', the first episode of the live-action television series.

When tasked with finding Jack's missing transport, Liam Burke starts to discover the truth behind Monarch's long-term plans.

Neato. Loved the fight on the escalators, that was pretty awesome.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

your evil twin posted:

Yeah, go ahead after the whole Liam thing, and tell me Paul isn't a murder machine. Really. He wants to keep it on the down low after a car chase and automatic weapons fire in public? He's a bloody Bond villain, down to the standard duty thug uniforms, not to mention the omnipresent logo. Seriously evil as witnessed by the egg sandwich issue.

Loved how they nailed the time ripple effects in the live action too.

Cheers for the hard work, YET. Afraid I might have to get a copy at some point. Looks like you sold another game. You need affiliate links or something.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Everybody is using Windows Phone? Truly the end of time... That live show is pretty well done.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

klafbang posted:

Everybody is using Windows Phone? Truly the end of time... That live show is pretty well done.

The tablet they shoved in front of Amy's face was a Surface. Very subtle, Microsoft.

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 23, 2018

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

There's also lots of Nissan product placement. Practically everyone drives a Nissan, and in a future part we will be examining a Nissan car that is parked underneath a Nissan billboard! A little bit cringeworthy.

As for the phones and tablets... while there's an obvious real-world reason for the Windows phones (the game was published by Microsoft), an in-universe explanation could be that Monarch Solutions has a deal with Microsoft, and provides Windows phones / Surface tablets to all employees.

Except... that doesn't explain why Jack Joyce had a Windows phone back in part one. He's been bumming around Vietnam and Thailand, there's no way he should be using a Windows phone.

Personally, I like to think that in the world of Quantum Break, Monarch Solutions IS Microsoft. They both have the initials MS! And Monarch/Microsoft phones are the market leader, rather than Android or iPhone.

But seriously... Paul Serene - a time travelling, tech-savvy entrepreneur - founded Monarch in 1999. With his knowledge of future technology, society and trends, it makes sense that Monarch Solutions would be at the forefront of computers, phones and other gadgets. (In our world, Apple released the first iPhone in 2007, and the first Android device launched in 2008. And Microsoft launched the first Xbox in 2001.)

If it weren't for Microsoft product placement dollars, I'm sure those phones and tablets would have a little M or butterfly symbol at the bottom, rather than a Windows logo.

Funnily enough, in the novel Zero State, the lobby of Monarch HQ has a mock-up of a new games console that their entertainment division will be releasing next year.

I bet Remedy were chuckling to themselves at the thought that they were portraying the hand-that-feeds-them as an evil megacorporation.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The guy who plays Liam Burke is hot. I just had to put it out there.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

your evil twin posted:

I bet Remedy were chuckling to themselves at the thought that they were portraying the hand-that-feeds-them as an evil megacorporation.

This sort of things happens so I often I wonder how many companies are aware of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
A nice episode, though the action scenes have the annoying modern tendency of being filmed too close and cut too quickly.