Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Really Pants posted:

You really only need two mortars at the start.

Maybe if you are better at multi-tasking than me. I'd forget to move one of them in time, lose half my collector network, then crumble.

Inward Chaos posted:

There were no speed running threads for this level, only "How do I survive?!?!" threads.

Well done on beating it.

Thanks!

Dmar posted:

he thread and the videos are both real fun to read/watch, though I do admit to watching most of the early vids at 2x speed.

I appreciate you watching them period :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thotimx posted:

Maybe if you are better at multi-tasking than me. I'd forget to move one of them in time, lose half my collector network, then crumble.

Put them in the right spots, and you never have to move them.

These two mortars can cover all four pools and hold off the Creeper indefinitely while you slooooooowly build yourself back up out of the red.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

ReallyPants, I am not worthy. Impressive ... I didn't think you could hit both pools, esp. on the left, without ... something that isn't here yet to date in the game.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 12: Vela

:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g0efDPkeOg&feature=youtu.be

So now we get reactors. Other than that though, it seems the Commander is cracking up. Feeling fatalistic at the very least, though it's hard to blame him/us/them/whatever. OPS doesn't sound much more positive, but what can we do but keep going? Living another few days is better for Odin City than not, and those are basically the choices here.

The schematic is in the lower right. We're on elevated ground in the south, same for four emitters in the north. Naturally the Totems are right by the enemy. They can't ever be close to us -- that would be too easy. The large basin in the middle is the key aspect of the terrain. It would seem to require quite a lot of force to occupy it ... and as alluded to in the briefing, we don't have much.

Doom Timer: 25:15

What we do have is time, at least compared to Tucana. Compared to most worlds so far in fact. That's a big freaking basin to fill. This is more of a long-term, what do we do about the lack of good real-estate to build on issue. Not so much a 'get moving NOW or die' dilemma.

We've now snagged the Reactor schematic, and pretty much done the initial expansion. Any further growth will require some decisions. That mortar behind the wall in the east is meant to try and protect that area. As ideas go, it's a pretty bad one -- it's never going to do enough damage to keep all the creeper from flowing. With a wide basin like this, enough creeper won't collect in one place.

Go ahead. Read that first sentence without exasperated laughter. I dare you. Regardless of the technobabble however, this is my least favorite item in Creeper World. It turns the whole land-for-power dynamic on it's head. Land area is now nearly irrelevant. At 40 per, they do cost twice as much as a collector. But that's a very temporary setback. Only a fraction of the territory is now required. But there are a couple of times when they are virtually indispensable, and this is one of them.

Vela is the last world I played on my partial test-playthrough. I didn't finish -- I got stalemated and got annoyed with it and figured I'd seen enough. I did hit upon this idea of not bothering with the basin at all though. The problem is that it bottlenecks rather severely. I tried then to slowly expand with collectors and blasters. Couldn't make it work, partly because I was basically like 'I don't need no stinking reactors'. And this is probably still possible without them, but it's a lot harder.

A blaster is in place to defend our foothold on the north side, the mortar in the southeast continues to fire away nearly-pointlessly, a storage unit is up ... and a couple of reactors are being built to increase the supply. Nearly limitless energy FTW!

Oops there goes another rubber tree pla ... I mean, there goes the barricade in the southeast. Lost two collectors, but that was just going to happen anyway unless I wanted a blaster there forever. The mortar is moved to the new 'front', reactors/speed/storage are going up, and so is the deficit -- but like last time I don't care. I just want a couple strategically placed weapons to hold off the enemy while most of the energy goes to building, so overbuilding is the idea here.

More blasters, a few collectors on the far side, and I'm ready to start expanding our foothold. Notice that I've also inadertently created an 'alley' in the lower basin, right where the relays connect. Could just start building collectors down there and expand that way, but it just feels wrong. This map is telling us to to bridge that gap, don't conquer everything, just use reactors for energy.

Oh, and I also didn't even notice it at the time. But I would have done it this way anyhow. Soon it became obvious that I needed more energy, or the best I was going to be able to do was beat my head against the wall here and make obscenely slow progress. The mortar was disarmed, and MOAR REACTORS!

See the cloud of creeper vapor in the north? It's basically constant at this point. Expanded a bit more with the upgrade from 4 to 6 reactors. With the Mortar still disarmed, energy is nearly balanced.

Here's the key point that I never reached on my first attempt; moving off the peninsula. This is sheer force, advancing enough constantly-firing blasters to punch a hole. Once you get out here, expanding is much easier; more space to work with. And I cannot overemphasize the importance of Speed buildings. There's no forward spot to move Odin City to, so without at LEAST 2-3 of them, and I probably should have built a fourth, you can't supply the blasters with enough ammunition to get the job done.

10:49 to get here.

Exactly one minute later. I was able to move the mortar close enough to devastate the pools by the emitters, and the Creeper parted like ... you know. A highway was quickly crated to push up to capping range. And the rest would be handled with ease.

I'm sure General Revil does not approve, but we win having controlled probably not more than half of the terrain here.

I'm satisfied with the energy management and most things here, aside from the pointless, doomed mortar excursion early on.

What is a Pavo, anyway? From here on out, everything is new to me. Keep that in mind as maximum derp descends upon this LP.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 17, 2018

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Pavo is the Peacock constellation (and also the latin name for the genus). I used to play the online version of this all the drat time - load the map of the day, get on the train, clear map, get off, and got a hell of a lot of value for a free game. Glad to see the dev is making some money off it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
And here I was about to say that pavo was the spanish word for turkey. :v:

Loving the let's play, btw. The story of the game may not be the sharpest, but I do appreciate it the strange dread it has about the last of humanity attempting to escape extinction at the hands of a faceless/reasonless force of nature. It's honestly pretty cool in a way.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

man, I love trying to hold out a little island in a sea of creep. It's the best kind of Creeper World moment.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoubleCakes posted:

man, I love trying to hold out a little island in a sea of creep. It's the best kind of Creeper World moment.

Then you'll love the special op that starts you on a state (NC if I remember correctly). Speaking of special ops, the helicopter one is a bitch. Took me a bunch of tries to pull it off, but I learned a neat trick. The SAM's range is the range that it'll shoot at, but one a missile has been launched, it has unlimited range. Put two SAMs next to each other, and you can shoot an incoming spore, and snipe another one from across the map.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

LeschNyhan posted:

Pavo is the Peacock constellation (and also the latin name for the genus)

EagerSleeper posted:

pavo was the spanish word for turkey.

I've got to side with the first one in this context. Although who knows, maybe there'll be a turkey-shaped landmass. Kinda doubt it though.

quote:

strange dread it has about the last of humanity attempting to escape extinction at the hands of a faceless/reasonless force of nature. It's honestly pretty cool in a way.

It continues to strike me as just 'odd'. Not in a bad way, just in a 'there's nothing like this I"ve ever played before' way. And as mentioned, he's still at it 10 years later. Guys like this, Tarn Adams from DF, etc. are really interesting people to me.

DoubleCakes posted:

I love trying to hold out a little island in a sea of creep. It's the best kind of Creeper World moment.

I do too ... I just wish the reactor didn't largely trivialize things.

And watch out for North Carolina and the Helicopter. Noted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soooo what/who're the creeper anyway? Is it a natural phenomenon? Grey goo? Horrible blob?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Advanced Gameplay

Time for a second, brief foray into the help files.

Original graphics here: the Anniversary Edition didn't find it worthwhile to make a few new screenshots for this. SLACKERS!! *Ahem* The first point I still find easy to forget sometimes. When I do, I almost always pay for it.

Had to wait till now for this, because we just discovered reactors. The, uh, detail is rather light here. But I can say that all these are good points, if fairly obvious. Not sure how 'advanced' they are, but whatever. They're here, so I posted them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Sweeeet, this is looking pretty rad so far. Creeper World has been on my radar for a while now but I just haven't picked up a copy yet. Looking forward to seeing more of this game.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Soooo what/who're the creeper anyway? Is it a natural phenomenon? Grey goo? Horrible blob?

There's a little bit of story at the end of the campaign about this. However, CW3 tries to answer this.

Blind Sally posted:

Sweeeet, this is looking pretty rad so far. Creeper World has been on my radar for a while now but I just haven't picked up a copy yet. Looking forward to seeing more of this game.

You can always play the kongregate version for free, or download the trial.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 13: Pavo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KXDPnnx0WY&feature=youtu.be

Feast your eyes on this 'turkey', a wonderful wall of text. It seems the Commander(me) probably knows more than he's letting on. But I assure you, I don't know whatever it is I keeping secret -- but if I didn't know, how could I ... nvm. Does not compute. Moving on. But nanobot Upgrades! Those sound nice.

Pretty even mix of higher and lower elevations. And emitters. LOTS of emitters. Eight of them, guarding two of the Totems. Superb. The orange squarish things are the nanobots for the Upgrades. Which the help files say absolutely nothing about. Awesome. Makes me wonder if this concept was added late in development to spice things up.

Doom Timer: 8:31

Generally speaking, having emitters on higher elevation is not good. The creeper then rushes downhill, filling in the valleys more quickly and cutting off possible expansion areas. However, there's enough territory 'below' us that we do still have quite a bit of time. It'll be an uphill fight to get to the emitters, but this doesn't strike one immediately as being a particularly tough mission. The fact that it can get to us that quickly says a lot about just how much Creeper we have to contend with here.

It's not long before I get to the first nanobot site.

Here's the six upgrades. They all pretty much do what they say. I think the flat energy boost is clearly the best one. Unfortunately they aren't permanent -- they only last for the current mission. That means the sooner you get them, the better.

Having carpeted the starting plateau, I use relays to bridge over to the west, getting more territory before I have to start fighting. A mortar in the east to make sure things stay under control there, and blasters to clear a path up the west edge. I hope.

I go with increased fire rate for the second nanobot acquisition.

Takes some doing, but I slowly make my way towards the northwest. Eventually the ammunition requirements start to choke the economy, so naturally I place down a reactor instead of waiting for things to build. Thereby siphoning more energy away from the ammunition packets. Like night following day, this leads to the loss of another blaster(my second) and other bad things. Probably would have been better turning the mortar off periodically instead of building the reactors(or doing both?), but eventually it did work.

After more blasters bought it, I was eventually ready to start pushing up the hill(after having failed once a few minutes prior). It's interesting the progression in the learning curve here. On watching the replay and putting together this update, I kept thinking 'Speed.Modules. You have two when you need a solid four with that many blasters that far away. Enough energy but they are all almost running out of ammo'.

Once I got up there, it turned quickly as it has before. One emitter was capped right away, and after a bit of maneuvering I worked my way around to the others. Still four more to deal with and a couple more Totems, but that was routine.

We seem to be approaching another important juncture.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 17, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And an endorsement from Blind Sally!! I may as well quit now, nowhere to go but down at this point.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I was pretty stoked on the trailers for Creeper World 3 so that's what I have on my Steam wishlist. I might have to check out the congregate version though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Thotimx posted:

And an endorsement from Blind Sally!! I may as well quit now, nowhere to go but down at this point.

:negative:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think you showed quite well here why the Reactors aren't some sort of instant win button like you seemed to imply in the first mission they appeared.

They are a relatively large initial investment and for a fair comparison, the real value you should be working with is the time it costs when they've generated enough energy to pay back their own construction. Reactors cost 40 energy units, and they generate 0.3 energy units per second. That means it takes 40 / 0.3 = 133 seconds of being in operation before they start giving a net profit. For comparison, some internet source said that a collector that can reach its full area all by itself generates about 0.18 units per second, so there it only takes 10 / 0.18 = 55 seconds of being in operation before it pays itself back.

So, if you're going for speed, a reactor is only worth it if the time gained by having the additional energy is more than the 133 seconds + building time it costs.

And even if you're not playing exactly by numbers, building a reactor while already in a tight energy position is sometimes necessary - but also temporarily pulls a lot of energy away from your weapons. I'm glad reactors are in this game, they give us some additional strategic decisions to make.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That's a good point, on slow maps I normally hammer reactors out like mad. Most of my play style was building a stromg enough defensive position to fill my area with reactors.

Been years since I played though. The sense of urgency from not having the time to make tractors would be interesting.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Reactors particularly open up a better power grid design for sheer top power available, especially in long slog maps
code:
RRCRRRCRR
ROOORRRRR
COOOCRRRC
ROOORRRRR
RRCRCRRRC
O=Odin City C=Collector R=Reactor 
Where you plan ahead for reactors and place the collectors in that diamond grid shape first, then you can fill out with a bit of storage and speed, and then fill ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE with reactors.

This super dense pattern is particularly great for handling some maps where you've got quite a bit of time to prep at the start but are going to be hit ultra hard later on, and it can sometimes be worth moving odin city a little bit just to fit the grid better around cliffs.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
The fire rate upgrade can be a double-edged sword, as the amount of ammo a weapon can hold, and the ammo cost per shot, is not affected by the upgrade. Only the number of shots per second is affected. This means that Odin City needs to generate ammo packets 20% 15% faster in order to keep the weapons supplied, which in turn causes an increased energy consumption. Its fine when your network is large enough to compensate for the increased energy consumption, but hurts even more if you are in an energy deficit.
I personally prefer the weapon range upgrade if I have to choose only one upgrade. For blasters specifically, it allows you to build collectors within the firing shadow of the blasters, when you have to start pushing through the creeper.

Edit: Oops, faster attack is only 15%, not 20%.

InwardChaos fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 21, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think you need to watch the length of your packet travel a bit more. For the entire second half of the video, your packets were having to travel roughly the entire circumfrence of the map to get to where they were going. There was a big hole on the plateau you could have placed a couple relays in to greatly shorten the travel time, or placed more speed modules. That could have sped up your advance as your collector construction and ammo packets would have arrived far, far sooner. Plus, you'd have gotten that last upgrade doing so as well.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

carbon dioxide posted:

Reactors aren't some sort of instant win button like you seemed to imply in the first mission they appeared.

Not instant win. Your points are well-taken here, and without them you have to design levels with a certain amount of room for the player. It can be much less with them. I just think they break with a major theme of the game(the acquisition of territory), since you don't need much territory if you can build reactors.

Faylone posted:

This super dense pattern is particularly great for handling some maps where you've got quite a bit of time to prep at the start but are going to be hit ultra hard later on, and it can sometimes be worth moving odin city a little bit just to fit the grid better around cliffs.

It's unlikely I'll need to go to this level of meta, though that's partially up to all of you how much 'extra material' gets covered; vote coming on that down the road a ways.

Inward Chaos posted:

I personally prefer the weapon range upgrade if I have to choose only one upgrade. For blasters specifically, it allows you to build collectors within the firing shadow of the blasters, when you have to start pushing through the creeper.

I've come to agree with this since playing Pavo.

Slaan posted:

you need to watch the length of your packet travel a bit more. For the entire second half of the video, your packets were having to travel roughly the entire circumfrence of the map to get to where they were going. There was a big hole on the plateau you could have placed a couple relays in to greatly shorten the travel time, or placed more speed modules.

Very true. I should have had more speed modules regardless.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

General Revil posted:

There's a little bit of story at the end of the campaign about this. However, CW3 tries to answer this.

Oh dear. I suppose the explanation at the end of this campaign is completely unsatisfactory then?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 14: Ursa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrChXaG5gg&feature=youtu.be

This sounds decidedly bad.

Yep, it's bad. Only two emitters, but they're right by Odin City on a plateau so the creeper's going to come right to us. Definitely have to move -- east has more nanobot upgrades, west has more room. Decisions, decisions.

Doom Timer: 32 seconds.

That's ... fast. Real fast. As in don't hang around or go grab a bite to eat. Dead if you do.

So, east or west? Well I went east, but just to get the upgrades. I think this is the best approach but you can't fiddle around if you're going to do it. I decided I did like the range better than the fire rate(note the Pavo discussion, although this was played well before that). This is one of few cases where it's worth getting move speed though IMO. That's because I've got to fly Odin City back across the map now.

Notice that I'm actually building the Totems while flying over them. I think it might be possible to beat this without fighting at all -- just store enough energy and fly around a bit, filling up the Totems as you get close enough to them. Perhaps one of the better players could inform on this bit of trickery?

By doing this back-and-forth aerial maneuver, I gain upgrades but lose time and have to rebuild a network once I get over to the west. And all the while that Spore clock is tick-tick-ticking away.

I don't have time to build as much as I'd like before getting a few SAM sites going.

They handle the job well, and Blasters are deployed to start dealing with the creeper. The lowlands are a veritable flood plain here; there are no good deep pools to pound with mortars. Four to start until I can expand income.

By the time the next spore salvo arrives, I've made a gradual push 'off-shore' and starting building support structures.

Once nice thing about this map is that it does make it easy to get back on Creeper Island. The north side never completely floods, it just pours off the sides after a certain point. A foothold is just a matter of getting there, so once you are set up, it's not hard at all.

Gradually pushing your way to cap the emitters is routine, and once that's done it's effectively over.

Could have done some things much faster; as noted in the Pavo mission there were some parts at the end where packets were going WAY AROUND the long way, but no big mistakes and I don't think I lost any equipment.

Another leg of the story is about to come to an end. The Rift will soon bring us to Canis.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 17, 2018

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't think it's possible to cheese this mission, the totems instantly lose charge as soon as the connection to Odin City is cut. You might be able to get the top and middle three with careful positioning and taking advantage of the blind spot but the bottom one is impossible.

Blind Sally posted:

I was pretty stoked on the trailers for Creeper World 3 so that's what I have on my Steam wishlist. I might have to check out the congregate version though.

3 is probably the best of the series so far, especially if you disregard Particle Fleet. I'd recommend playing the Kongregate version first just to see if you like it, though; it's twelve maps long, none of which show up in the actual game, so you won't spoil yourself or anything.

kvx687 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 23, 2018

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Video unavailable.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh dear. I suppose the explanation at the end of this campaign is completely unsatisfactory then?

CW isn't really about the story, and the final level plus the epilogue have about as much as you'd expect from a game like this, although it leaves a bit of a sequel hook.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Cokerpilot posted:

Video unavailable.

Thanks for this. Should be sorted now -- decided to make the playlist unlisted as that seemed more sensible for what I'm doing here(raw gameplay footage, no commentary) but I think I accidentally set it to private instead.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

No big mistakes he says, moves the blaster capping the left emitter :laugh:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Good point Ignatius. I ... err ... umm ... sort of missed that somehow on the replay.

Let's enshrine that moment of glory for posterity.

I hereby nominate this moment for the Wall of Shame in the John Arbuckle School of Great Moments in Stupidity.

I feel this is sufficient penance.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Could be worse. You could have a blaster acting as a relay between two sections of your network, and you move up said blaster, causing your entire frontline network to de-power, causing all of your blasters to run out of ammo and the creeper completely destroying your network, forcing a restart on the level you have been working on for 15 minutes.

...Not that I'm talking from experience... *whistles*

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

InwardChaos posted:

Could be worse. You could have a blaster acting as a relay between two sections of your network, and you move up said blaster, causing your entire frontline network to de-power, causing all of your blasters to run out of ammo and the creeper completely destroying your network, forcing a restart on the level you have been working on for 15 minutes.

...Not that I'm talking from experience... *whistles*

Good thing that it takes several seconds for blasters to run out and a disconnected network is immediately visible because all the green collector things go grey, so you can either quickly move the blaster back, or if you react fast enough, build a collector where it was and have no losses at all.

Accidentally moving a blaster while it acts as a relay? Happens to anyone. Then not noticing a disconnected part of your network for long enough that the creeper starts to overrun it? Now, that's wall-of-shame worthy.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Good thing that it takes several seconds for blasters to run out and a disconnected network is immediately visible because all the green collector things go grey, so you can either quickly move the blaster back, or if you react fast enough, build a collector where it was and have no losses at all.

Accidentally moving a blaster while it acts as a relay? Happens to anyone. Then not noticing a disconnected part of your network for long enough that the creeper starts to overrun it? Now, that's wall-of-shame worthy.

Actually, in the instance I was talking about, I was running at a 60+ deficit, so my blasters were actually already out of ammo, which is why I was moving the connecting blaster up as it still had ammo.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 15: Canis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC9aqs8qzKo&feature=youtu.be

Very brief and succinct, OPS. Are you ill? Of course there's an artifact -- how else would know where to search our eventual doom ... I mean escape to ... next?

Doom Timer: 2:19

Yeah, probably a good idea to move again. Low ground sucks. This mission didn't really much of an impression on me one way or the other; it was just kind of there.

This nearby location seemed as good as any, and netted a couple of early upgrades.

With plenty of time before the first Spore wave, I felt pretty good about myself with these two Mortars in place. All of the emitters had a place to drain, places that would not be allowed to overflow, and only a modest deficit. I could now expand at my leisure.

I'm not really sure why I felt the need to build these Blasters at this point. Some storage & speed is up, but in retrospect I probably would have been better off with some more collectors going towards the artifact in the north to expand energy income. This works though.

Eventually I do so, after capping the emitter in the southeast. Upon deciphering the Artifact, we end up with more questions than answers. What in the name of space-time is going on here ... and who the heck is Platius? The plot stinkens.

There are still two active Emitters, and three more Totems to reach though. Our work is not yet done -- the Commander's getting a bit ahead of himself.

The layout here strongly suggests a methodical, cover-the-map-in-green approach; you have to get close to all of the emitters to get the Totems. Here I've now finished up all the upgrades; only move speed remains unchosen.

Eventually the land was subdued, and it was time to follow the Commander's orders. Perhaps more of the mystery of Platius will be revealed at our next stop ...

For most of the conquest, I waited longer than I needed to before pushing forward. A couple spores almost got through, but I didn't see any actually hit. Extra energy most of the way through the mop-up. Interesting that the creeper-killing peak actually came quite early(basically immediately after getting the two mortars up).

Onward and inward, with Ix the next stop.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 17, 2018

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Many machines on Ix. New Machines. Better than those on Richese

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If you post without rhythm, you wont... attract the creeper?

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Third leg of the campaign is finished, and we are fast approaching the end of this first game. This 3rd set of planets starts off with arguably the hardest map in the campaign, and then drops the difficulty back down to reasonable levels.

Sector 3: Tucana - Canis

Tucana: 27:05 - (T) 36:15 - As a few people in the tread pointed out, it is possible to hold off the creeper in the 4 pools using only two Mortars firing on two pools each. Once they are up and running, you then have the slow and painful process of pushing the creeper back while building up the network behind your push. I skipped all of that, and attempted to utilize suicide runs to quickly cap one of the corners. This involves building a large number of Blasters, and floating them into place beside the emitter without a supporting network in place. With enough blasters, it is possible to cap the emitter and construct a supporting network to resupply the cap before you run out of ammo.
I could have finished faster if my first suicide run had succeeded, but I had only brought 5 blasters, and ran out of energy before the network was connected. 7 blasters did the job in the next 4 runs. I also could have utilized pausing to properly place the blasters, but I forgot that was a thing.

Vela: 18:11 - (T)17:11 - First time so far where Thotimx's time is better than mine. My strategy was the same; take the middle safe zone, and push out from there. If I re-did it, I'd utilize a few suicide runs to get mortars to shoot into the back lines so that my blasters would be able to push easier through the high ground.

Pavo: 22:41 - (T) 23:09 - Again, my strategy was essentially the same as Thotimx's. As I mentioned in my post, going for the range upgrade is generally better than the fire rate upgrade, at least until your network is capable of supporting the increased energy demands.

Ursa: 7:45 - (T) 16:46 - A very easy level if you realize that the two emitters on the map are extremely weak, as in they don't pulse that often, and when they do, they only release a small amount of creeper. Flying to the right side for the upgrades, and then building a set of blasters (2 per emitter) to fly back over and pre-cap the emitters was how I was able to get such a quick time.

Canis: 15:55 - (T) 20:27 - Due to the layout of the map, this level naturally gets very grindy. Capping the bottom emitter quickly opens up quite a bit of expansion room, and having mortars holding off the northern emitters allows for safe building without much worry about firepower.

The next few levels are decently difficult, and provide a good sendoff for this first game.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sector 3: Tucana - Canis

Tucana: 15:02 - (G1)36:06 - (I)27:05 - (T) 36:15 - My original run was just about tied with Thotimx, but I cut that time drastically in my next run. Capture the east and west ridges ASAP. Place two mortars to cover two pools each. Build up your base. Once you've maxed your collectors, build 4 blasters, and push forward (NE looked the easiest). Build collectors as you advance. Soon enough you can win.

Vela: 10:34 - (G1)19:20 - (I)18:11 - (T)17:11 - And my time was even worse than Thotimx's and InwardChaos's. I distincly remember approaching from the left with relays. I think I may have tried to cover every bit of free space on my starting island with reactors, and the peninsula go covered up. But I may be misremembering.

This time, my strategy was to build up (always in two strands). The one collector I needed to put behind the wall was treated as a lost cause immediately. Once I had spare energy, relay to the penninsula, build a pair of blasters on the home island while waiting for the relays, and attack. Then it was just a case of balancing building blasters, reactors, and a few speed buildings. Build a mortar once there's enough production and blasters to move forward, and it'll be ready just about in time for when the blasters clear out some space to reach the back pool. Then, just like Thotimx did, build more blasters, split up, advance, and conquer. Move the mortar over to the NE once the north pool is empty enough to slow down that tide.

Pavo: 14:13 - (G1)23:46 - (I)22:41 - (T) 23:09 - Again, poor showing on my first time. Two strands as always. One to grab the nanomachines North of Odin, one East. Keep building collectors, relay across the gap to the west. When you have the spare energy, build a blaster to guard the choke point and protect the south section (fill it with collectors of course). Build a mortar on the east to thin out the creeper in that crater. Build a blaster to hold off the creeper from the west. Consolidate your gains, build more blasters and push up the left side with at least three blasters. Once the west mountain is capped, reconnect to Odin down the middle, then push on to the East tower, cap it, then grab the totem in the east crater and warp out.

Ursa: 10:52 - (G1)14:38 - (I)7:45 - (T) 16:46 - I can certainly see the advantage of grabbing the nanomachines from the east, but I just went west immediately. Otherwise, the same idea as Thotimx, but with a few less blasters. I'm going to have to try this again with IC's strategy.

Canis: 12:16 - (G1)18:34 - (I)15:55 - (T) 20:27 - This feels like a bad time, I didn't feel like I was really pushing forward as aggressively as I could, but I ran it a third time and I didn't improve. Move Odin up the ridge to safety. Build out, two strands as always. A blaster near the SE totem will almost cap the bottom emitter. Hold off the assault for later. A blaster can guard the fjord north of Odin city and give you more space and a shorter path for your network. Get mortars in place to hold off the tide from the east and NW (and don't have CW on silent while listening to a podcast while trying to delay those mortars for as long as possible to expand faster), hook some blasters up across the north to cut off and grab the NE totem. Two blasters can clear out a spot in the NW for a collector to reach the totem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Say... you said you wanted to do a vote on how much extra material gets covered, right?

I strongly suggest not making this some simple yes/no vote, but instead, or alongside with that, have people recommend extra maps.

The reason for that is that in CW2 and CW3 I know there's at least a couple of extra maps that use the design of the game in a unique way, creating a quite different game experience than you'd expect otherwise. And whether you try out the endless user-created and randomly generated maps or not, I think it would be worthwhile to at least show off a couple of those unique maps.