Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of unique ways of using the game's engine, someone used particle fleet to make a jigsaw puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Say... you said you wanted to do a vote on how much extra material gets covered, right?

I strongly suggest not making this some simple yes/no vote, but instead, or alongside with that, have people recommend extra maps.

The reason for that is that in CW2 and CW3 I know there's at least a couple of extra maps that use the design of the game in a unique way, creating a quite different game experience than you'd expect otherwise. And whether you try out the endless user-created and randomly generated maps or not, I think it would be worthwhile to at least show off a couple of those unique maps.
Sign me up. If there's fan-created stuff in the vein of the CW3 dungeon or the CW2 asteroid field, I'd love to know.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

carbon_dioxide posted:

I strongly suggest not making this some simple yes/no vote, but instead, or alongside with that, have people recommend extra maps.

Agreed, this is the plan. I don't want to do the vote yet because there's still some ways to go. First stage of bonus material will be the Conquest/Special Ops stuff(which will take as long as the main story itself to do just based on how many of them there are, actually more than the main story). Once I get partway through that I'll put up a vote. Anyone who wants to start looking through the several thousand user-created maps can do so anytime of course. It'll really depend on what you all want -- whether it's 'really, that's enough CW1, zzzzzzz, let's go do the sequel already' or 'Hey Thot, you're human garbage if you don't do these three dozen maps first' or anywhere in between.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

InwardChaos posted:

The next few levels are decently difficult, and provide a good sendoff for this first game.

Nice tactic on Ursa! But now everyone knows there are only 20 levels :(.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 16: Ix

:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYtR4DMVmfk&feature=youtu.be

So we need bombers, and now, in order to survive. Yay for a new toy!

This is looking rather dangerous. Those calderas aren't that big, and when they fill we figure to be in some trouble.

Doom Timer: 4:42

That's deceptively long, it doesn't seem particularly quick.

Building out to the left to get the nano-schematic seems a must. We also snag an upgrade along the way(10% more energy as always for the first selection).

So it's an 'automated' weapon ... that requires manual targeting. How is that automated again? OPS however says we need it. I'm inclined to agree.

First though, let's get a bunch of Blasters up to deal with the tide of creeper already sweeping down the mountain.

With both craters full and the blaster defenses quite busy, the intrepid Commander snags the final upgrade location and gets a drone base going.

Then he brilliantly doesn't use it at all, watches as multiple collectors and a Blaster are destroyed, pondering ruefully as his plan is revealed to be inadequate. We're collapsing on the left, barely holding on the right, and the drone base still isn't operational.

It's done though! Now I can target the craters and .... oh. Just the base is done. The bomber has to charge also. Well then. Meanwhile the defenses continue to crumble, bit by bit.

Hope you didn't have any sentimental attachment to the west side of the network, because it no longer exists.

Say goodbye to more collectors and that storage facility, but the bomber is finally deployed. The question is, has it bought us more than time? An impressive display of firepower against the right-side crater to be sure.

The Blasters can't keep up with even a lessened attack from the Creeper though, and once the drone returns and starts recharging, the remaining forces distintegrate. The once-confident Commander has no real idea what to do next. And at this point, it doesn't really matter. He flails about with his mouse pointer but doesn't do anything. Including using that upgrade point that he basically totally forgot about while trying not to get every last man, woman, and child of his species who is still alive slaughtered by the creeper.

After one last spiteful bombing run, there is nothing left to do. Behold the end of days: the light of mankind has gone out of the universe. We have failed.

It's a good thing this is just a game. Shall we try again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR51AMS6v0Y&feature=youtu.be

Started similarly but with a difference once we get an upgrade and the drone schematic. Getting a couple of these up quick is only viable because while they are expensive, they build slowly. Each one only consumes about one unit of energy per second while building, so I can still keep expanding a bit while they do so. It is probably self-evident that two of them will allow for one to target each caldera, thereby potentially keeping both of them under control and limiting the creeper that spills downwards to the plain where Odin City is. In theory, anyway.

Things still got dicey fairly quickly. By the time the drones were finished, and not-yet charged, the creeper was pouring down towards us once again. I put up a single Blaster as the bare minimum to hold them off.

By the time it was needed and started firing, the drones were on their way, one to each crater. We might not win this, but we're going to put up more of a fight this time. There was still no time to spare.

Just look at all that clear terrain as the creeper pools are eviscerated. Tell me that's not a beautiful thing. As soon as the first bombing run was halfway through, I knew we'd struck upon a recipe for victory.

Once again ignoring an available upgrade like the ignoramus I can be on occasion, I expanded the collector network with blasters at the ready just in case and the creeper threat well under control. I can basically do whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want.

For those who like such things, it was easy to set up a near-perfect grid on the plain, though I didn't bother to build much on the mountain itself.

A very double-edged mission. The first time we met with disaster. On the retry, it was quite tense until it clearly became a complete walk in the park.

Who has a pithy and intelligent Scluptor reference handy?

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 17, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's a poor scluptor who blames his tlools.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Added Space fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 24, 2018

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I remember correctly, you should be able to use a single drone and target the spot between the two craters.

Edit: mumble grumble. Autocorrect on the last word is a pain.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 24, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

General Revil posted:

If I remember correctly, you should be able to use a single drone and target the spot between the two characters.

You can target a line :ssh:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil posted:

If I remember correctly, you should be able to use a single drone and target the spot between the two craters.

I thought character was funnier.

Pierzak posted:

You can target a line

The two of you are playing a higher-level game than I am. The guy doing the LP is most definitely not the teacher here.

@ AddedSpace: I don't even know what that is. I do know I am dumber for having seen it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Time for the final edition of Creeper 1: The Help Files.

Strategy Tips

Can't argue with any of that.

5 and 6 are much easier to do if you are a player who pauses. I like the point on Disarming about doing so when building up a force(or building a bunch of anything). Very sensible idea.

On 9 ... I WILL NOT! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!! Ahem. You can of course play more efficiently by doing this. #8 is a good idea in limited doses. Since you can't repair weapons, they can only take so much damage. And I've yet to do #10 except using the space bar every once in a while. Might work on doing this more as we get into the 'extra stuff'. My Creeper Fu is not strong enough for that yet.

There's only one thing in the help that has not yet been seen:

Even the help files refuse to spoil everything. As you can see on the left side here, we have everything else. Odin City and 9 of 10 buildable items. The tension builds ...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Thotimx posted:

The two of you are playing a higher-level game than I am.
Hey, don't lump me in with the guys shaving seconds off their speedruns, I'm nowhere that good. Defeating creeper/particulate is enough for me.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 17: Scluptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGIN_PwBDq0&feature=youtu.be

OPS really should go back and look at the first attempt of our last mission. Also appears to be getting a bit overly negative here. Perhaps a mental health exam is in order.

Doom Timer: 32:41

This is exceptionally high for this late in the game -- one of the highest period, in fact -- and that's partly because the dangerous-looking emitter due south is actually a total wuss. Not only that, but it will stop completely shortly after filling up that little hole it's in. However, while it takes a long time for the Creeper to reach our central island, it won't take long for it to flood most of the usable terrain. So while this is definitely easier than our last excursion, we will have to fight to achieve more than this starting foothold. Still, the briefing is definitely overly negative.

I felt we needed a mortar right away to keep the basins under control, as well as playing against that emitter in the south. However, this would have worked better if I'd actually used that blasted upgrade to get more energy ...

Once operational, the mortar sucks up a lot of energy and I've expanded south a bit. Time for a Blaster. If that emitter down here wasn't a weakling this would never have gotten done in time.

I did eventually use the 10% energy boost, and once the south island was covered with collectors I had a decent starting network to expand from. At that point the deficit had all but disappeared.

Struck out west for the second upgrade(reduced building costs), and a second mortar to handle the two basins on that side, and then it was time to fill the mid-level terrain with collectors. I should be able to keep these pathways safe indefinitely.

When that was done we reached about 7 energy, quite a sizable supply. Time to get some more blasters going and go after the low-lying Totems.

In the usual pattern, first one emitter was capped, then another, with the process gradually accelerating as we went. Could have done this faster by building more blasters here.

This mission demands a fairly slow start, though not as slow as I did it. After that though it's really quite routine.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 17, 2018

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was surprisingly easy for a late-game mission.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 18: Volan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOorHk5Rtc&feature=youtu.be

Limited high ground with five emitters. We're safe initially, but getting enough territory to effectively combat the enemy could be an issue.

Doom Timer: 4:13

It takes a bit for the Creeper to fill the whole map, but that emitter just below us won't take long to overflow its relatively small pool.

I grabbed the nearest upgrade to increase energy, and this blaster might have been a bit early. Probably was, but I thought we were going to need some quick defense the way the creeper was expanding. Other than that, pretty much sticking to the elevated path near the city.

It soon became apparent that we were going to be in some trouble in the northwest here. I've grabbed some more territory there but we don't seem to have enough firepower to hold the line, and there's really nowhere else we can build.

I got another blaster up there and starting relays to the small islands, the idea being to rescue that pod. However, none of that matters if Odin City gets destroyed -- it's under attack here with the emitter south of us overflowing a bit despite the blaster we have in place.

Interesting. Also, relocating the defensive blaster closer to the emitter seemed to do the trick -- it'll soak up more energy for ammunition from there, but the attacking creeper has receded. Odin City is safe for now.

Gradually the blasters in the north were giving ground, the ammunition supply not able to keep up. So what did I do here? Relocate the blaster in the east up there? Build reactors? Nope. Build more blasters that will make the ammo supply situation worse. The idea of taking out the southern emitter is good, but this isn't the way to go about it in the current situation.

I eventually tried to shift some blasters up there to salvage the situation, but it was too late. That whole section of the network was doomed to collapse.

Eventually I figured that out, retreated to high ground, and got a reactor going. Several collectors and a couple blasters were lost in the process, along with a full third of our energy supply. Note: do not try this at home. This is not the way to win Volan. It's more of 'how to salvage things' expedition now.

I must admit I didn't do a great job of that either. I should have built more than one reactor at a time, or deactivated a couple of Blasters, or maybe both. The quickest way of recovery here would be to use just enough ammunition energy to keep the Creeper at bay, and no more than that.

While the third reactor was getting constructed, I noticed a new problem(bottom middle); the creeper was flowing over another edge to threaten our main network. That could not be tolerated, so a blaster was relocated to keep things safe.

After we had a few reactors up, I decided to get a Mortar going on the small central island, with the goal of doing more significant damage to the creeper.

Up in the northeast near deep concentrations, the mortar made a number of bombing runs to start the process of literally turning the tide a bit.

Then we got enough blaster fire to cap off the southwest emitter, filling that pool with collectors. Finally we were getting somewhere.

Now we had a solid enough economic base for a more traditional, gradual expansion back into the northwest. With regular bombing runs aiding the cause and more blasters gradually added into service, I was on the comeback trail.

At about the same time, we capped off the central emitter and got the mortar a secure location. The fight would drag on for quite a while longer, but by this point the result was no longer in question.

Odin City was eventually relocated forward to speed things up, and nearly the entire map covered in our network. I don't think I've ever bothered to acquire more than the 15.2 collection income I had at the end of this one.

The red spikes show the most regular bombing runs I've ever done in a single mission. It worked though.

The end is nigh.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 17, 2018

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're almost at the end. The answers shall soon be revealed. Then you can go to conquest and spec ops and get your butt kicked.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if this game will answer why the creeper seems so intent on killing off humanity once we reach the ending. Hopefully!

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I picked up the game on the basis of the LP, and I ended up doing some science. Turns out you can cap emitters very easily by throwing four or five turrets directly on top of them. Also, when dealing with long supply lines, having more turrets is actually better, because each turret gets a separate ammo "requisition" (so long as you can actually power them).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

EagerSleeper posted:

I wonder if this game will answer why the creeper seems so intent on killing off humanity once we reach the ending. Hopefully!

the story for this game is really, really stupid; good thing it's fun

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It's been a looong time since I played CW1 but I think this level is best approached by immediately shutting down that southwestern emitter.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil posted:

go to conquest and spec ops and get your butt kicked.

I find your lack of faith ... disturbing. But not entirely inaccurate.

@ PresidentArk: Yep, that's exactly how I see it.

Asehujiko posted:

I think this level is best approached by immediately shutting down that southwestern emitter.

I second this -- probably would have taken me half the time, at most, had I done it this way.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chapter 19: Pyxis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP-jiwT9VjM&feature=youtu.be

We now have more information about the Commander's history, and the mysterious Platius as well though this raises at least as many questions as it answers.

Lots of stuff here. That triple-emitter in the middle being closed in buys us some time as OPS mentioned. Better have our ducks in a row when it breaks loose though. An uphill fight is clearly on the menu, and while we have all six upgrades available we'll have to expand quite a bit to get them.

Doom Timer: 5:39

Almost exactly a minute longer than it will take for the creeper to eat through the retaining walls. Once it does so, it's coming downhill and it's coming fast. Of course at the time I played this, I had no such sense of the timeline. Let's see how I did.

Make for the upgrades, then use drones. I think the goal here was the extend the life of the barricade. Getting the nanobot upgrades quickly is definitely a good idea. Might be better though to keep building out the network at this point. I soon added blasters and more collectors, pushing the deficit into the mid-30s. Trying to do too much at once.

The drone did indeed do a number on the central emitters. Meanwhile a good line of blasters was established and the lowest tier filled in with collectors. Feeling pretty good about the overall here.

Clearly there is more to Platius than we have seen. Who are these others? And how does the Commander 'know what he must do'?? But once again we get ahead of ourselves, as we are far from being able to open the Rift here.

So far as I can tell, the drone bomber gained us exactly one second of time in terms of the walls breaking. However, there was a bit less creeper built up than there would have otherwhise been. Still, going for the drone that early was clearly not optimal. Which isn't to say that things are looking bad. We've got a foothold on the second tier now and the bomber can pound the small craters on each side to help us out here.

New collectors and blasters orders went a little bit overboard ... and the middle of our position collapsed under the strain. Don't Overbuild ... and yet I find myself doing it, even as I preach not to.

A few blasters and a number of collectors bought it, as the creeper attack nearly reached the outskirts of Odin City itself. It was partly self-correcting in a way, as less blasters meant less ammunition requests, but I definitely could have done with the energy losses.

The deficit reached 70, then spiked over 100 as I took the ultimately unnecessary step of building a couple of reactors. What was really need was a careful blaster advance, and eventually that's what happened.

Now we're back on the right track here, gradually gaining momentum.

Soon we were able to claim territory on the third tier, but still a troublesome energy shortfall. Those emitters are really pumping out the creeper, making things somewhat difficult.

After pausing long enough to get three more reactors up, we pushed further by sheer brute force. By this point I could sustain the required depletion rate of about 8.5 energy/second required to sustain a comfortable, slow-but-steady advance. 11 Blasters. Got to hand it to the creeper on Pyxis, they didn't just mail it in.

Capping the northwest emitter allowed us to attack sideways while most of the creeper moved downhill because gravity. Then knocking out that middle trio sealed the victory, and we escape once again ...

And now ... the mysteries of Loki beckon.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 17, 2018

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

help me, I can't believe I'm reading this...

(although I said that, I always praise a person for having a story idea they care about and working towards it. It just came as a really big surprise to me that the Commander, who I assumed was a no-nonsense type of person, is suddenly having a super special destiny backstory worthy of the finest of OCs.)

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thotimx posted:

Chapter XIV: Pyxis

It's chapter 19 not 14.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

help me, I can't believe I'm reading this...

(although I said that, I always praise a person for having a story idea they care about and working towards it. It just came as a really big surprise to me that the Commander, who I assumed was a no-nonsense type of person, is suddenly having a super special destiny backstory worthy of the finest of OCs.)

The story is quite novel, but it's written really cringey. The dev is definitely a better game designer than writer.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The story is quite novel, but it's written really cringey. The dev is definitely a better game designer than writer.

See new video of CW4. He needs to modify fluid physics. Or at least smooth it... But pretty. And brutal. Even if graphics is work in progress.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Well put. And GR, I changed the chapter title. Just for you.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

** Warning: This is a very long update. I thought about splitting it up, but it seemed dumb to do that with the video. So may the internet have mercy on your browsers.

Chapter 20: Loki

A little something extra after the mission itself here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdajYojm8xU&feature=youtu.be

We begin to the tune of sharper, more bracing music that I've not heard previously or since. OPS thinks the best-case scenario is an endless stalemate. How encouraging. But we wouldn't want it to be easy now, would we ...

The Nexus is as bad as it looks. I'm not sure that it directly disperses Creeper though -- it appears to be more of a situation where it 'turbocharges', for lack of a better way of putting it, the eight emitters around it. But that's bad enough. On our end we have the defensive ridge but very little space between us and it, the Artifact, and all the upgrade nanobots we'll need to max out.

Doom Timer: 5:36

Almost the same as the last mission, actually three seconds faster but close. Don't be fooled by this though, as befits a finale this is much more difficult. There are a couple reasons why it takes so long; one, the opening in that protective ridge is very narrow, so not much Creeper can get through it. Secondly, the lowland here are elevation 2(out of 6). Odin City is on elevation 3 ... but the ridge is at a 4, which I didn't realize. It's actually above us. So it takes a lot of creeper to pool up and overflow it. So that five-minutes plus is basically how long it will take for the Nexus and it's attendants to flood the entire map. That thing doesn't play around.

Here's a good shot of how much it doesn't play around. Took less than 40 seconds for that Nexus to flood most of the map and reach the ridge. That's really encouraging.

Umm, Commander ... have you looked at the map? Everything we have is, at this early stage, jack squat -- and jack left town. Also, how in the heck does the Commander deduce all of that jibber-jabber from a single, nebulous-at-best question?? Furthermore I don't buy the Creeper having no purpose other than our destruction. There must be a reason for that destruction; does it think we pose a threat? Does it need a resource monopoly(no indication yet that it uses/gathers any)?? I mean ... SOMETHING.

Nope. Ok, you got it Commander. All ZERO of our weapons systems are charging up as we speak. Happy??

Underestimating the speed of the Creeper advance already cost us a blaster and a collector, and it'll soon cost us this one as well. Fortunately it's still seeping through that opening slowly, but it's also abundantly clear we are running out of time. Fast. To say nothing about how the west is filling up with much greater concentrations.

Third try has me building a blaster on higher ground, then putting it down in front of the City. Amazingly, that proves to be enough to combat the small amount coming through the opening. Safe-ish for the moment.

About three minutes in, timed scripting here I think, we receive this. So we're irrelevant -- but it's still important for us to be delivered to you. Roger that.

Brave words. He even seems to believe them. I'm not sure he knows, really knows, what they even mean though. 'the living question'? What kind of gobbledy-gook is that??

I don't think they mean nothing, but rather just them and not us. It certainly is sufficiently obvious that, as past generations of humanity found as well, negotiation with the creeper is not a viable option.

Pretty soon we've got a full complement, more or less, of collectors up along with a couple of Mortars. For the first and only time, I find their ability to shoot over walls useful. I'm not sure this does more than slow the rate of Creeper advance, but even at that it's welcome given the massive wave of the stuff headed towards us. As you can see here, a drone bomber base is next on my agenda.

OPS has clearly lost hope. Not that you can blame him.

Here's the full screen just after that. Our first drone bomber is about to be deployed to the far end of the map, taking out some of the deepest concentrations. Right now we appear to have reached equilibrium; the blaster and two mortars could probably keep the creeper from getting past that ridge indefinitely. That's all they are going to be able to do though. Even if we paper all our territory with reactors it might well not be enough. Got three collectors up on the walls, all the space there is for them, and support structures have begun to be put in place. There's really nothing else for it but to ramp up our firepower as much as possible.

What the ...

Could you be any more mysterious please? And why is it that only the Commander can do this?? Whatever 'this' is ...

Platius can make things appear out of thin air apparently. The how-why of his SpaceMagic(tm) are thus-far not explained.

The careful observer will note this thing looks like some kind of aircraft. It isn't far away, but it might as well be in another galaxy given that going out there means exposing ourselves to the might of the Nexus. This will not be easy. And by the way, how is it that this just-materialized object is immune to the Creeper's destructive power? It appears unaffected by our enemy. If Platius can make this thing appear, why couldn't he make it do so BEHIND the ridge?? The questions ... the questions that will probably never be answered. They just keep coming.

6:08 on the timer. Make a note of that. Let's see how long it takes us to get to this thing.

Here's the first idea. The drone bomber targets the area of creeper midway between us and the Nexus. The idea is to thin out what's coming our way, hoping it can do so enough to get some sort of push out to that object. There's still way too much of it though, and that's not even close to being good enough. So it's time for Moar Reactors.

Over ten minutes in. More than doubled the reactor complement(from 3 to 7) and a second drone base to pound the deeper concentrations. I try throwing a blaster just in front of the ridge. No dice, and I eventually withdraw it after it is unable to clear any kind of safe zone. You can't even see it, only where it is due to the persisent vapor of incinerated creeper. It's not long before I withdraw the blaster.

Ok, how about a couple more mortars and some additional reactors?

This results in a noticeably expanded zone of fairly-thin creeper nearby. It's progress ... but our network is getting crowded. There's only so much we can cram in. I send the blaster back out. It does better than before, but is still eventually overwhelmed by the creeper and destroyed.

FINE THEN. Fourteen minutes in now, eight since the object from Platius showed up. More reactors ... a lot more. A couple more blasters ready. Double the bomber bases to four. Anything worth doing is worth over-doing ... right?!?

Tough to get a good shot of it as the bombers keep flying off-screen, but I implement a 'four corners' approach. Spaced out in various locations in the deep areas around the Nexus plateau, the drones pummel the Creeper, giving it plenty of not-at-us places to run off.

Then I move two blasters out in front of the opening in the ridge. It's just enough ... barely ... for them to survive and make excruciatingly-slow headway. Eventually moving a third one out creates just enough room for a collector, hooking up the network to that object. Finally. At 15:39, almost ten minutes after it appeared.

Apparently only the Commander, because reasons, is worthy to wield the power of Thor.

Others? As in, plural? It seems Platius is not the only one of his 'kind'. Whatever/whoever that is. We had only to remove one collector to start building the thunder deity. And of course, more reactors. Even so, Thor is sucking up stupid amounts of energy as predicted. The deficit spiked to almost 80, threatening our blasters which could barely keep enough ammo to hold off the enemy. As construction reached the midpoint roughly ...

Yes, yes, we will all be undone soon. We know. Repeating it won't make us more aware of your threats. Once finished, Thor does this with a strange whirring/warbling sound:

I literally didn't realize what was happening at first. A large section of terrain just had all the creeper on it vaporized here(south, just west of the ridge). That thing is ridiculous.

It seems you simply can't fight back without the Nexus getting all ticked off about it.

There doesn't seem to be any reason given, even a total hogwash one, for where these new coordinates come from. In the Commander we trust, and in Platius he trusts. Such is the fate of humanity a dozen millenia into the future.

It took me a bit to begin to grasp the enormity of Thor's power. When I did so, I moved the ship forward, and it vaporized all resistance in it's path. Literally.

Brave words, jerks.

You keep saying those words('there has to be a way'). I don't think they mean what you think they mean.

That could be problematic. We have no SAMs in place ...

That's a lot of spores(some of which you can't see here due to the vapor). Thor's missiles swat them from the sky with ease. That thing really can do everything, it seems.

Thor parks itself above the Nexus to keep everything under control while the network expands. The creeper tide is all but vanquished, and we have only to wait for the Totems to activate now.

Congratulations, Commander. You've finally done it. You've killed our entire species. I hope you're happy.

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

This is partway through the process, as everything is sucked into that green-ish black vortex, then explodes.

Err, almost everything. Once the rest is gone, the Nexus itself gives in to the pull and goes in, followed by a huge blue explosion.

Wait ...

Ok, here's my question. How is it that so far Thor and Odin City have managed to resist the pull of the black hole, but the Nexus couldn't? Neither have moved an inch. I'm sure this too will be explained ... and here goes the Commander to sacrifice himself and save us.

After Thor enters, this massive explosion occurs. And everything slowly fades to black on Loki ...

In other words, the Creeper/Loki are a race of depraved children who can't stand any life other than themselves existing anywhere in the 'multi-verse'. Okey-dokey.

What a freaking hero.

That's definitely playing the 'long game'.

In addition to the usual planetary achievement, I am also given the "Lord of the Story" honor.

Credits follow. I find them rather amusing, particularly the musical ones and the various titles that the developer gives himself. Concept art is interesting as well. If anyone wants to see just that part, go to timestamp 35:45 on the video.

Now what? Well since this was so long, I'll give people a chance to process it a bit and then talk about how I plan to proceed with the bonus content in a couple days. It can now be said that I have officially beaten Creeper World 1: Anniversary Edition -- but there is much left to do before we move on.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 17, 2018

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
You have the "Am I Dead" text screenshot where you picked up the Thor schematic.

On a different note, congrats on beating the story mode. Now for the Conquest and Special Ops levels.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Thanks! Also. ...

GAH!! Fixed that incorrect link.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats on the win. There isn't much of a need for drones on this mission. Some mortars for covering fire to hold back the massive tide and three blasters will be enough to open a space for a collector to grab Thor.

That's the end. I wouldn't call it a satisfying ending, but the story here really is just a placeholder for the gameplay. It's all about capping emitters and turning the entire map green before warping out to the next world, or seeing how fast you can beat a level, or anything in between.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I only ever played the third game in the series, so seeing the rough edges in this was kinda surprising. I know that its to be expected, but woo boy you're in for a treat when you hit the third game if you enjoyed this at all.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So is it possible to win while ignoring the thor and the artifact?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Eopia posted:

So is it possible to win while ignoring the thor and the artifact?

I'll try this tomorrow. Ignoring the artifact itself is going to be difficult to pull off (since it means no building directly near the most convenient breakout point), but considering you can reach an indefinite stalemate with the creeper at a single blaster and two mortars, the map is already effectively won at that point and it should be doable. Watching the videos, it really seems like Thotimx goes for a very minimalist approach, building as few Blasters as possible, whereas I find it's generally more effective to go ham with Blasters once I've gotten the initial economy rush under control and the creeper is stalled.

Edit: Also, in the video, Thotimx, you consistently launched your drones in the corners and edges of the map, but it looked like the drones simply won't bomb as effectively that way - they do straight line bombing runs of three bombs normally, but most of the time your drones flew off the map and didn't drop the third bomb on the run, and then skipped the first bomb on the return trip.

I'm looking forward to see what's next, as I haven't played any of the other games in the series yet.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 29, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I don't think you can ignore the artifact. In all the other levels, you have to get the artifact or it doesn't let you activate the Totems.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Sign me up. If there's fan-created stuff in the vein of the CW3 dungeon or the CW2 asteroid field, I'd love to know.

Colonial Space maps 76 and 146 are what you're looking for. There's others that have been done in the same style since but they're REALLY not as interesting map designs.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I never could beat that last planet. Glad to see you do it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Having never played this game (and I couldn't find the flash version people mentioned, just a tutorial and the sequels) is there a reason you didn't throw blasters on the ridge? They can shoot down, right?

Either way, it's a cool game, a neat LP, and while I was wondering why you were down on the almost nonexistent story early on, I can't say I blame you now. (I was expecting a stable time loop, tbh.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hey girl you up posted:

Having never played this game (and I couldn't find the flash version people mentioned, just a tutorial and the sequels) is there a reason you didn't throw blasters on the ridge? They can shoot down, right?

There are a few flash versions: Training Sim was the first, User Space has sixteen user-designed levels, and Evermore has a new procedurally-generated level every day.

Blasters wouldn't be effective against creeper that deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

hey girl you up posted:

Either way, it's a cool game, a neat LP, and while I was wondering why you were down on the almost nonexistent story early on, I can't say I blame you now. (I was expecting a stable time loop, tbh.)

Except for the little bit to the south, that ridge is just barely a few pixels too small to build stuff on, I think. It just barely won't hold blasters. In other words, they thought of that idea and prevented it.

Ashsaber posted:

I only ever played the third game in the series, so seeing the rough edges in this was kinda surprising. I know that its to be expected, but woo boy you're in for a treat when you hit the third game if you enjoyed this at all.
Yes, the third game is really good. And I think the second game might surprise you quite a bit. It's very good too... but different.