Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Additonal Content Poll

We've got five more CW2 missions coming for sure: four in the bonus and the special 'credits mission' thing. So, if everyone wants me to stop here, we could be moving on to CW3 as soon as about two weeks from now potentially. After CW1 the choice of the thread was to move on, but it seems the sentiment is different for the sequel here.

** Creeper World 3 it is! For those who have seen enough and want to keep this train on trucking.

** Let's try some Custom Maps! if you want to see more.

If you choose the Custom Maps option, I'd like to hear more suggestions if they are out there, and also some choices from among the already-suggested possibilities(if I missed any somehow, give me a virtual slap in the face and by all means throw it into the mix):

Peachfart posted:

I recommend the Lucid 7 part series. Really well designed, and only moderately difficult. Or, if you are looking for a more difficult series, the Dark Menace 6 part series is really fun.
Also it is possible I switched those two in my head, but I remember both being well designed and fun.

InwardChaos posted:

The levels that I'm going to recommend Thotimx play are the "Master of the Creeper" level set. Searching for "[MotC]" will bring up the 7 levels that comprise the set.
I found the levels unique without being a horrible grind-fest that some custom levels end up as, and it makes you play with Anti-Creeper a lot, which I personally found fun.

I should say that I'm willing to do up to about 10 more levels of this(purely for the sake of not dragging it on ... and on ... and on). So I'd consider as much as two of the above sets but wouldn't want to do all three as we'd then be in the mode of doing as much custom stuff as the main story covers, and I think it would get old hat for everyone a long time before that.

So argue and debate if you wish, check out these custom level sets or any others that are out there, campaign for what you want or don't want and feel free to change votes. Up until the point where I post the credits mission that is; after that I'm going to make a tally of the voting and proceed in whichever direction the community has chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a fun map that changes things up.

Other than wanting to see you tackle a few custom maps, I don't have too much of an opinion. I did enjoy "Ultimate System Failure", but it's a gimmicky map, and it might play well for the video portion, but I'm sure it'll suck in screenshot form.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Creeper World 3 it is! I feel CW3 is a pretty big step up in terms of how interesting the scripted missions are, wouldn't mind just moving on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Creeper World 3 it is!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Creeper World 3 it is!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Creep on to the third world! Maybe with particularly awesome custom CW maps here and there for a break, if there are any.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 8, 2018

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Creeper World 3 it is!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Lettuce try some custom maps! There've been a couple that i've been burning through that are pretty decent. when i get a chance to sit down and boot up steam again i'll throw out a recommendation... assuming the CW3 votes dont win out

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Custom maps because it sounded like there'd be some neat ones to look at.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
I would like to see you do some custom maps now you've had the tips from the thread, to see how that affects your play (if at all). Otherwise, soldier on.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Creeper World 3 it is! :neckbeard:

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013
Creeper World 3 it is!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Creeper World 3 please.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Creeper World 3 has FAR more to get through, there's a couple bonus levels in three I'm dying to see attempted.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Bonus 7: Barbarian Hordes

https://youtu.be/h8kAoayzmuU

Of course, it's mandatory to say the name of this mission like this guy:

A small map, but not necessarily an easy one. Three emitters, three gateways by them on the left, and drones will come from them. LOTS of drones. The narrow pathways make this mostly behave like a top-down map even though it isn't. And once again no gravity. So basically, it's just weird, but still quite an interesting challenge.

** Doom Timer: 1:07

There's just enough drones in the first group, five coming from the bottom emitter, to take out the Liberation Ship in just over a minute. This is most definitely another 'can you survive the start' mission, which seem to be the toughest CW type.

This is 50 seconds in so you can see what's going on. The gateways release at different rates and intervals but basically you're going to have an escalating amount of drones while the creeper makes it's way through the passageways. All converging on us. I've grabbed the goodies which is mandatory not just for resources but also for space; in no other level I've seen do you start off this cramped. A total of 600 energy comes in from the crystals, and that'll power the blasters ... but not for long.

Here I've got some excavating done, and a few blasters. Right from the first time I use the initial 30 technytes to get one range and one firing rate upgrade. That's pretty much a non-negotiable IMO. As much as I'd like to upgrade the reactors with such limited space I don't really think that's an option here.

I don't get enough up in time though, and the energy deficit is already proving very problematic here. This is when I give up the first attempt, and it's not quite four minutes on the mission timer. One thing about this level is you don't go after for it half an hour only to realize you made too many mistakes. It becomes apparent pretty darned quickly.

** Take 2: 4:37 video, 0:37 mission timer

This is only 30 seconds before I gave up the first time, and you can see I'm holding much better, energy in the blasters and more reactors up wherever I can cram them. I find that with the upgrades, 3-4 blasters can hold each passageway.

After being not sure what to do and realizing more and more drones are coming all the time, I move the blasters forwards on the bottom passage in between groups of drones. But I move them too far, and this ends in catastrophe. You can't afford this kind of mistake on this level. All the blasters went down, and soon a bunch of reactors would have if not the ship itself before I could have stopped them. And even if I did, I would have been too crippled to recover.

Take 3: 8:29 video, 0:27 mission timer

Similar start, but with one wrinkle. You get 4000 ore to start with, I might as well use it: the anti-creeper will help some. Not enough to make a huge difference, but even a small one helps turn the tide. I also got a little better at the blaster build this time; 3 each direction to start, a fourth later.

Look at the bottom. Blasters don't even have to fire there; the AC takes out the drones before they get to me. The energy that saves can be used elsewhere. The maker proves more important than I expected.

I had this started well enough to succeed, and moved the blasters down in shorter jumps. Here though I didn't get them out to the corner soon enough and then got greedy, and paid for it. Without concentrated fire from all of them we can't hold back this many drones, and once again the defenses fall.

Take 4: 14:20 video, 6:52 mission timer

I've expanded upwards and downwards for more energy, but energy isn't the issue. Once again the bottom is falling apart, because I don't have enough room for constant fire and that's a lot of drones. They wear us down again. At this point, several minutes in, there are only small, far-between gaps in the drone groups.

Take 5: 15:29 video, 2:29 mission timer

This time I make a point of getting to the bottom as soon as possible, excavating a shortcut through, and placing a third pair of blasters. Then I can fill in behind them with lots of reactors.

I add a fourth pair just in case, though they prove basically unnecessary, then start pushing upwards on the top passage. After some reactors and for the first time a couple tech domes are added, I'm sufficient energy-wise and can gradually escalate, so I start chewing through some shortcuts up here as well. For the first time, I've managed to turn the corner.

The top was chosen because the drones are the fewest and furthest-between up here, so it's the path of least resistance.

For a while I crawl forward, regularly building more reactors and a nice batch of TechDomes to make darn sure I can handle anything that goes wrong. After this is up though I start attacking more aggressively.

No point in going all the way around: once the first top emitters/gateway combo is gone I just cut through to the second one. Around this point the staccato of constantly-firing blasters gets pretty darned annoying. They just won't shut up, because the drones don't stop coming.

After taking out the second pair, adding a few launchers and bringing forward the now-spare blaster additions, I think I'm ready to finish the job. As you can see here, I was wrong. Over half of the weapons take significant damage before I get things under control.

Finally they will all shut up now.

Carving out enough space to build the reactors you need to defend yourself effectively is basically the challenge here.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the mission that gave me a lot of trouble. I should have built a maker. The trick really is to make more space for yourself.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I wish they had done some more with the gravity during the main game; every level was the same gravity value, wasn't it? Getting a few levels of zero-grav or maybe extra strong gravity would have been neat.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil posted:

This is the mission that gave me a lot of trouble.

Thought so. I liked it just because of it being different, and doing a pretty traditional challenge with an engine that really wasn't meant for that kind of thing. Which leads me to …

ousire posted:

I wish they had done some more with the gravity during the main game; every level was the same gravity value, wasn't it?

Yep. They use a lot of zero-G in the bonus(and I assume custom as well) levels which makes me wonder if it was tacked on late in development after the story was finalized. It's way too significant a mechanic to just not have it appear once, at all, ever. Would have added some beneficial variety for sure.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Bonus 8: Assault

https://youtu.be/SCh8-mPNxPY

After everything else we've endured, I think we can handle a little mockery.

Shields whether I want them or not, and Phantoms in two minutes.

** Doom Timer: 2:04

Another mission where you either start well or perish. Do nothing, and you die before the phantoms even show up. That emitter sends out 100k three times a second. I've seen worse but that's not bad.

I grab the two energy crystals while waiting to see what's going on. I still don't know what that is, but there's obviously some wacky manipulation. Gravity is off again here.

"It's shooting Creeper projectiles! Isn't that special!!"

I try to throw up a few blasters and some more shields, but it's already too late. The defenses have failed. Exactly 70 seconds into the mission, and I'm doomed.

** Take 2: 1:43 video, misson start

Next idea is to add a second row of shields immediately upon grabbing the energy crystals.

I hoped that would buy me enough time to build a quartet of blasters behind them.

This was better. But definitely not good enough - right about the time the blasters came online, the creeper broke through the barrier.

** Take 3: 3:22 video, 0:26 mission timer

This time I grabbed the red crystal, and used that energy to start building up reactors while excavating for the second, green one.

Then as before, a second row of shields to buy time, and blasters behind it with a much better energy supply than before. I've still got a modest deficit here one minute in, and the creeper is wearing down the shields so it's not like everything's rosy.

A breakthrough at the bottom forced me to redeploy a blaster, but it didn't quite reach the reactors and all in all this was holding. Enough consistent firepower to keep from being overrun.

I was not even remotely ready for these, having forgotten about them. AGAIN.

** Take 4: 5:36 video, mission start

A few more reactors behind me, and they broke through at the bottom again. I've got some holes and weak spots but here as the Phantoms are released I'm ready for them. I have a real chance to defend and then shore up.

Oh look. These things again. More FBCCs, one clearly trying to look like a tank or turret there at the top. The general approach was to try to balance out blaster firepower and keeping a 2-wide shield wall.

Tech

Here's what I used the techytes for after excavating those. Didn't need the packet speed here, but range is a biggie trying to shoot past the shields and I like the other ones as well.

Ore Rigs, a TechDome, more reactors in the back tunnels and blasters at the ramparts, even as the Creeper presses it's attack harder. I'm keeping up with them and making gains, but it's slow.

I messed up and put some out behind the shield wall which eventually faded into nothing, but getting a maker out in front proved to be a turning point. With 4k in storage from the Remnants and the Rigs working on more, there's quite a bit of ore here. So if a little is good, more is better; I deployed four Makers.

Putting Beacons on these 'islands', facing away from the Creeper attacks, extended the operational range.

Then, with the anti-creeper flooding everything and disrupting any projectiles coming our way, I put some Launchers out in forward positions.

Once a gap was created in the creeper ring protecting the emitter and gateway, it was mop-up time.

The amount of ore on this map(I only used a fraction of it) makes this easier than the previous one IMO. Both are about mastering the early order of actions in order to get a stable foothold.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Bonus 9: Cubic

https://youtu.be/xVBoiOTV_6k

There's more below. It's a 3x3 'cube', in Zero-G once again. I'm completely secure here though. I could stay here forever. The trick is to successfully expand. The room directly below has a weird long-delay pulse emitter and that's it. 200k every minute. Actually not that much in the grand scheme of things. But it also has 10 HP. The room to the right is empty. And those are the two options before me.

Here's the rest of what's coming up later.

With no immediate threats for the first time in a few levels at least, I get reactors and tech domes up right away.

As I move into the left-middle square with some blasters, creeper bars appear in the top-middle one, immediately destroying most of my buildings there. You just knew it was too easy to be true. I think, but am not sure, they are generated by the top-right chamber. Which is super great.

I put up a launcher to work on that a bit but mostly just keep focused on the left side, building three nullifiers at a crack to take down this emitter.

The square just on top of this gateway in the bottom-left contains one billion creeper. It's like the Nexus level, only no conversion bombs or dark beams. This is the instant after I release it. I, uh, didn't check how much was in there.

Less than a minute later as it bubbles upwards much more quickly than I can deal with it. Ok then.

** Take 2: 10:30 video, 7:15 mission timer.

I know I can claim the square directly below as a safe zone, so I go there first this time, building up energy and tech capabilities again. It seems safer to try to deal with what's along the top than to fight with a billion creeper.

Building reactors on the 'gaps' in between where the bars form after clearing them out, I move across and eventually discover that the top-right chamber has a different gimmick. Gravity shifts every so often(30 seconds). 40k creeper every half-second is produced by the emitter, but the biggest problem is getting a nullifier built before it shifts again and takes it out.

One of those places where packet speed is beneficial, I weaken the concentration and then eventually get it done.

Then it's time for fun with drones, for which I add a lot more Blasters to my collection. Once they've been slaughtered sufficiently in the chokepoint entrance, I've got almost half of the rooms under my control.

I overprepared for the middle room, but that's because I didn't know it was 'frozen'. It's just a case of enough firepower to take out a full chamber of 2M-density creeper.

Bottom-middle, where there's just an annoying, fast-moving creeper creature. Eventually the blasters rip it apart.

On to the bottom-right, which I really should have done earlier. Almost 2M density here as well, and this one with an emitter to replenish it. 200k from that thing six times a second, so over a million/sec. And I end up with a big deficit soon, but by that time I'd more than gained the upper hand.

You might say I wanted to be darn sure the next time I released 1 billion creeper that I was ready for it. I now have reactors on nearly every available surface.

It still wasn't close to enough; 43 energy in, 23 deficit. And the creeper threw a big fit, but this is as close as it got. My second line of defenses and shields ended up being completely unnecessary. But you can't be too careful.

After this demonstration of gimmicks on parade, there's one more to complete all of the 'official' material.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The message at the beginning and the level's design is clearly a reference to the movie Cube, in case you hadn't figured that out yet.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This answered one question that I was never sure of until now - whether or not you needed a clear path to the target for a nullifier to work (it's clearly implied, but it hadn't been tried yet by you). Of course if it did work, it'd trivialize some of the campaign levels. I wonder if that last gateway had some death-drone in it that only comes out if you take way too long to complete the rest.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Kangra posted:

This answered one question that I was never sure of until now - whether or not you needed a clear path to the target for a nullifier to work (it's clearly implied, but it hadn't been tried yet by you). Of course if it did work, it'd trivialize some of the campaign levels. I wonder if that last gateway had some death-drone in it that only comes out if you take way too long to complete the rest.

You do need a clear path, but shields don't count as obstructions. The emitter in the center-left room, for example, can be easily handled by just boxing it in with shields and throwing nullifiers at it. You can throw a second layer of shields around it if you aren't fast enough the first time.

Part of the reason Thotimx had such a tremendous deficit at the end was because resupplying a ton of guns takes a lot of energy. But the guns themselves are banked energy, so until you pull the trigger on opening the door, so to speak, you can build a ton of excess weapons to increase your initial punch. Opening a hole with a billion creeper that comes spilling out isn't something you can solve through fancy tricks (well, unless you have access to the experimental weapons) - the best you can do is buy time with shields and anti-creeper while you unload as much firepower as possible to bring it down to manageable levels before you run out of energy. Otherwise, it's a question of how much brute force you can bring to bear before being overwhelmed.

Sadly, repulsors are mostly useless when you're talking about huge concentrations of creeper. They don't meaningfully slow them down, even when you stack multiple repulsors on top of one another, so they're just a drain on your energy to no appreciable effect. Better to spend energy on more launchers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I seem to remember completely breaking the Assault map because I realized you could fly out your ship off to the left and the creeper streams can't hit you. From that position, yo can quickly knock out most of the emitters and then it's just a bit of clean up. I tried the actual defensive position a few times before I found that and was rather chuffed with myself.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
In the video you briefly thought that the drones coming from the gateway in the middle-right were healing. I think what was actually happening is that the gateway was throwing out multiple drones stacked on each other. This seemed to be happening in the top lane of Barbarian Hordes as well, at least before anticreeper got involved.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

carbon dioxide posted:

e message at the beginning and the level's design is clearly a reference to the movie Cube, in case you hadn't figured that out yet.

Hadn't, and wouldn't ever have, since I wasn't aware of the movie's existence until you mentioned it.

Blind Sally posted:

I seem to remember completely breaking the Assault map because I realized you could fly out your ship off to the left and the creeper streams can't hit you.

Heh, good catch.

Malicus posted:

I think what was actually happening is that the gateway was throwing out multiple drones stacked on each other.

That does make more sense, interesting observation.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Bonus 10: Abyss

https://youtu.be/SPR3MlZT280

There's a number of different things here. One is just the sheer lack of room. Then we've got multiple 'bubbles' connected with micro-rifts, and there's the 20x gravity ensuring the creeper presses right down on us. No launchers, but you can see we can get schematics for the conversion bombs and dark beam. Both of those emitters produce 2M, pulsing once every 6 and two-thirds seconds. The density around the force field 'bubbles' starts at almost two million.

** Doom Timer: 6:45

Phantoms and drones will come for us. Eventually. But the urgency in Aliana's instructions really isn't there. So far as I can tell her invisible, completely utter fake-magic forcefields never get weaker or fall apart.

I do some excavating right away to snag some of the artifacts ... but the force fields don't protect everywhere, as I soon find out. Definitely want to keep a barrier against those in the form of terrain. So that's a quick restart.

Getting blasters up(to handle the drones) and coils for the phantoms in each bubble was essential. I also excavated below and set up what reactors I could.

This didn't even occur me during the mission, and this shot isn't in the video. I just made it really quick while doing the writeup. Having the blasters fire at drones early would have been a really, really good idea and saved me a ton of energy.

In terms of trying to attack, I figured my best option was the conversion bombs, and I started throwing them at the lower, higher-density areas. Also turned off some blasters in areas that weren't getting hit by the drones, as shown here.

Everything I converted got destroyed, but even so a significant weakening in the enemy force made itself apparent.

It seemed clear that the way to destroy the enemy was go straight up in the middle, towards the opening by the Gateway. Here I employed a dark beam after having lost a maker and some blasters up in that general direction, but I couldn't sustain the firing.

Eventually just throwing a few makers, blasters, and a microrift up that direction proved successful.

Once the gateway was down it was basically over, since those emitters only pulsed outwards. These two nullifiers eliminated that, and then cleanup.

Along with the normal level achievement, 'Bonusian' and 'Supreme Victory' were awarded as well. Another Creeper World game bites the dust; but there is as yet at least one more thing to do. Anyone else wanting to vote on the poll should do so soon.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I’d like to see some customer content. CW2 was always my favorite so I’d love to see more of it.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
I vote for doing a few customs before moving on. Of those talked about earlier I can second the recommendation for Lucid, liked Dark Menace other than #3, and didn't like MotC. A couple more I would recommend would be Wipeout Clock and Rainmaker.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
A few customs would be nice for CW2, since it particularly has some interesting things that can only be seen in custom maps

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
There's a small mechanic I saw in level 9 in the "demo" on Kongregate but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen in any of the non-fan content shown here. Can anyone confirm if it's only in the fan content or if it's just not implemented in the normal game at all?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Faylone posted:

A few customs would be nice for CW2, since it particularly has some interesting things that can only be seen in custom maps

Voting for this, too.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Vote currently stands at 9 for move on, and 7 for custom CW2 content.

lokicubed
May 14, 2009
A few customs would be great.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I mean, I'm not gonna be super upset if the thread goes for some customs, just hoping that doesn't mean that it'll take a month to get to the greatness that is CW3.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Bonus Extra: Credits

https://youtu.be/CRmyNnUR_z8

Thanks to whoever it was who pointed this out; I wouldn't have found it otherwhise

The menu hints at it by giving you this mouseover score thingy.

Got a chuckle out of this; CW2 is so obsessed with Obliteration that it even implies we should destroy the credits themselves.

Here we are. No area beyond this to explore. No blathering on from the characters in the CW2 Story. We have an emitter, a gateway, some artifacts ... and a Holocube?!? And in true screw-it-up fashion, I got distracted by all kinds of shiny things and didn't notice the two-minute Incoming Phantoms countdown timer. In fact I really did lots of stupid things here. Prepare yourself for the pain.

It would be hilarious if I lost the credits mission, but that's impossible unless you try(i.e., moving the Liberation Ship directly into harm's way). So no Doom Timer here.

It 'rains creeper' or whatever the heck you call this just a few seconds in.

A few things going on here; an amusing moment from the credits on the right, gravity weirdness makes the just-arrived Creeper spell out 'Creeper World 2', and drones are eating away at the message 'Another cool game by Knuckle Cracker' in the enclosed area, which is spelled out in anti-creeper. Meanwhile I'm grabbing up the energy crystals.

One last bit of 'briefing text'.

Because my brain is apparently on vacation, I decide to build a bunch of weapons. Wouldn't want to get an economic base with some reactors or put up any defensive phantom coils. That would make too much sense.

I do get a couple of reactor rows up, which doesn't matter a whole lot when the Phantoms strike and take out half of them. Also like this part of the credits. It's taken just over two minutes to make it through all of them. There'll be plenty of time to see anything we missed.

"It's just ... STUPID. This is how not to play Creeper World 2. That's what this is right now."

I was rather annoyed with myself, in case you can't tell.

Here's me mass-building makers, leading to a deficit, leading to my blockade at the right side of the credits window getting flooded, overwhelmed, and eventually completely destroyed.

A while later. Now I'm doing something vaguely sensible. Reactors everywhere I can, a few blasters to deal with the right side, concentrated push up the middle of the screen(left here) otherwhise, the most open area to attack in.

After making some room at the top, I send the makers up and we've got competing forces trying to spell 'World'. Insert joke here.

After taking out that lone emitter, I head back left to handle the 'Cree' and what remains of the AC message.

The usual tactics here; massed blasters at the entrance to deal with the drone rush, then gradually move in and close on the objective.

I think this is the only game I've ever played in which I can say that I beat the Credits. So whatever that's worth, it just happened.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Official Post-Content Poll Results

Out of the gate it was Custom Maps with an early lead, but Creeper World 3 made a huge rally and soon had a commanding lead. So much so, that going into the last few missions I was completely sure we were going to move on. However, at literally the last minute(between the end of Abyss and posting of Credits), custom material made a last-ditch rally. It was a photo finish at the end, with the final count:

Custom Maps 9, Creeper World 3 9. A tie!! Wow. (I counted twice, and all further recounts will be thrown out).

So what now? Well I guess I must break the tie. First of all, major thanks to all who gave a darn enough to vote. And nobody tried to skew the results by the 'vote early and often' method either, which I also appreciate. Thought about just doing it via RNG but that didn't seem right. I have to say that it seems sensible to me to err on the side of more content vs. less. So we're going to do some custom material, but those who wanted to move on are noted as well; I will be keeping the extra levels to a minimum. What exactly I haven't completely decided on. Normally I'd have this figured out by now -- but since it seemed we had a clear 'move on' victor, I didn't put any thought into it. So now I need to.

I'll pick something from the few recommended series that are out there, unless a search gives me something more compelling or someone comes up with different specifics soon. And by soon, I mean in the next 24 hours.

Blind Sally posted:

when i get a chance to sit down and boot up steam again i'll throw out a recommendation..

Feel free to follow through on this threat. You or anyone else. As the saying goes, speak now or forever hold your peace. One day at the most, and then I want to make a decision and get on recording some more dubiously-played CW2. I will spoil one other thing; I have started CW3 a while back. But in response to the quite sensible feeback here, I'm not going to get too far into it before getting the thread caught up. I've got about 10 missions of it done so far, which for those who haven't dabbled in it; that would be a lot in CW1/CW2, but not so much in the next game. It appears to be rather uh, long. It's very apparent that I'm not even halfway into getting a clue about the story and I also think I'm worse at it than the first two games from what I've seen so far. But all that is for another time, other than to say I'll be keeping a much tighter rein on the whole playing ahead thing once we get there. For now, I've got some CW2 stuff to ponder …..

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Lucid 3 is an interesting one, since it makes use of several mechanics that aren't used much in the main game (gravity, build directio and limits your weapons to basically force you to use repulsors and anticreeper to your advantage. I'd recommend giving that a shot just for variety's sake.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx posted:

and I also think I'm worse at it than the first two games from what I've seen so far.

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Custom Maps Agenda

Ok decision time. I spent 2+ hours skimming through the 2,829 custom maps available for CW2 last night. After doing a quick search for recommendations I came upon an idea that seemed reasonable: using the feedback from the greater Creeper World community to guide the choices. Specifically, the Likes/Dislikes for a particular map. In looking through them I found some interesting stuff. Some were rather out there, like combating a over-fizzy beer bottle or coffee pot 'boiling over' with creeper, or making one's way through a maze thematically grabbing elements from a particularly troublesome or routine work day. There were also maps based on at least the following: Space Invaders, Pokémon, Super Mario, StarCraft, Minesweeper, Zelda, Frosty the Snowman, Minesweeper, and Doctor Who.

I did a quick-and-dirty evaluation grabbing the top scores, as defined by Likes - Dislikes. There were a significant minority with negative scores, and roughly equal-sized number at +100 or more. Most were in the middle of that, with something around +40 probably the 'average'. Just a ballpark there to give you a sense of how well-regarded or popular the ones I'll be doing are. I decided to take five selections; one each from the three series recommended here, and then two that really scored a cut above the rest in this scoring method. The following order will be observed:

** Lucid Example(The first two in the series tied for the highest score, but I'll be doing Lucid 3 since it was recommended by Aesculus)
** Dark Menace Example(best-scoring in the campaign)
** Master of the Creeper Example(best-scoring in the campaign)
** #2 stand-alone map by Community Score
** #1 stand-alone map by Community Score

I should mention that there are a number of other 'series' or 'campaigns' that were put together by various people. Some were perceived as garbage as always happens: one guy put together an entire alternate Story(and then some) consisting of 32 missions. Almost all of which got a negative rating. Others got mixed scores. There were a half-dozen that ranked above the rest, all having a decent length of several missions and getting decent or better scores for all maps in the collection. So if anybody's interested, in addition to Lucid/Dark Menace/Master of the Creeper, the other three I found were Rebirth, The Purge of the Galaxy, and simply '2'(by Link327, who made a few collections and just named them 1, 2, 3. Not exactly descriptive or original there, but the missions themselves were named and rated pretty well). Suffice to say that I could have easily found 50 or so relatively good-quality maps without even trying. What I'll be going into here will not even scratch the surface, but hopefully we'll see a few interesting moments -- and judging by the starts, there will probably be an epic slog or two in the group. In any case, I hope/expect to get through these in a couple of weeks at most, and then we'll get to the next game in the series.