Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I'm not sure if that's going to ever happen or not. I don't see a useful way to do it. The better custom maps have specific limitations on ships, and using those designs would totally skew the balance. I don't think it's worth doing a substandard mission for the sole purpose of showing revisions of ships that I've already put out there multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I think what I liked most about these procedural maps was dealing with vanilla level creeper again. It's so refreshing for a mortar to actually be able to make a noticeable dent in creep and not need a solid line of blasters to do anything.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Regallion posted:

You might also want to ask them to regale you with a story on how i was banned from there~ ^_^

That's unfortunate. I'll let you tell that story if you want to, or not. I have no need to stir the pot.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
I Apologize In Advance (1:56:25)

As promised, I'm back to Sorrontis with I Apologize In Advance. The first half-hour is just me figuring out what I need to do by failing (was actually a lot longer than that). One thing I'm curious about is whether there are better ideas for what to do with the conversion bombs and expanding more quickly once you get there - that section starts at 50-55 mins in and was quite the grind, which is why I cut most of it out. Started to get a bit frustrated at the very end of the level when I just wanted the final emitters to die already but overall it wasn't too bad. This is my last one before the CW4 demo, but if I can muster the mental fortitude I plan on trying Field of Glory after that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I just downloaded this map to double check.

The forge fits on the left and right rim of that entire part north of the command node. You could've built it as literally the very first thing after plopping down the command node.

Edit: Wow, at the end of the video, you noticed a relay on that long bit to the right couldn't quite connect to a nullifier sitting on the RIGHT side of that little square. So you deleted the nullifier and then put blasters and relays on the LEFT side of that square and did all you could to put the nullifier on top of the Digitalis. All while not realizing that if you can connect the relay to a blaster on the left side you could connect it to a nullifier on the left side (connection range is the same) so you never needed to bother clearing that digitalis right next to the emitter. I'm not sure if a nullifier from there would've reached the southernmost emitter but it certainly would've worked on the others.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 4, 2020

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Yeah it was a bit painful to hear "just need to rush the forge" and "all about the forge" when it could have been built 15 minutes earlier easily. I'm a bit amazed you didn't get overrun before it got up.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

On the Forge bit, I always think that as a major structure, it's going to have a bigger footprint than what it has *shrug*. That would have definitely saved a ton of time.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Son of a bitch, the singularity on that top right spawner. I didn't even think about that. I had all three Berthas, lines of mortars and anticreep on the walls, and eight or nine blasters with full upgrades on the islands all firing into that creep to make enough of a dent to build with and still needed perfect timing with the Bertha shots landing to make a nullifier last long enough to fire. God drat it, the singularity makes it all but trivial.

[facepalming intensifies]

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, the singularity is a very powerful tool but easy to forget you have it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I've definitely fallen prey to that myself on a number of occasions. FYI, the Steam Summer Games Festival has been pushed back a week: https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/5/21282038/steam-game-festival-summer-delayed-valve. That means i need to find another level to do ... I'm thinking probably finding a CSM one to butcher to fill the gap.

Official statement on what will be in the CW4 demo:

K75 on the discord posted:

There will be 7 missions. 5 missions which will also be the first 5 missions of the full game, with mostly guided gameplay to introduce concepts and mechanics. Then 2 more bonus missions, once from the Mark V map generator, and another from the maps knucracker made for his videos.

Tech, buildings and weapons are limited, there is no save/load and the map editor is not in the demo.

There are 3 Easter eggs hidden over the various maps. Some are rewards, others ... well.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 6, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

InkCSM-3 (1:57:00)

Long ago, this was suggested as a intro to tower chips. I thought those were an interesting wrinkle. The upgradeable emitters though I could do without. Partly because they became Death, Destroyer of Framerate. Partly because they add micro that's just tedious. Overall, a theme through this level is I was just overwhelmed by the busy-ness of the map with everything that is thrown at it. Just too much of a good thing IMO. CSM with stargates, special enemy emitters, perhaps the occasional bomb factory thingy? That works. Add all this on? It's just too much ... and clearly my PC agreed.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 10, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, the upgrader lag is something i could never work out how to remove, without some extreme QoL tradeoffs.

I'll clarify what energizers do - they directly add to ammo count of any structure in range. There is a version that only affects upgrading emitters. It should be noted that they cannot BUILD structures, only reinforce them.

Also, tower chips are up to the mapmaker to utilize correctly, much like bombs and other such features.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I think the reason you can't put it back up to 10 is because 10 on CSM maps is treated as infinite height, and it prevents you from being able to put up a 10 wall, flood a bunch behind it, then terp it all up to 10 and flow along the top and claim land with impunity. It makes you choose carefully about breaching an existing 10 high wall, too, sometimes it's worth only breaching through one tile of a 10 high path so that you still have a corridor that's small even if it can overflow a 9 wall.

Watching you fill both spots you could put a forge down early hurt a bit. There were two in direct range of your command node, right in the sealed off area you start nearby and a bit east of the thing you need to flood to start upgrading the emitters. If you're having trouble finding the spots on a map to place one, try setting the area to terraform to 5x5.

If the map maker wants you to not have forge upgrades, they could just disable your ability to build one even if you had room, so as a rule of thumb, if you have it buildable, it's just a matter of waving it around to see where it can go.

Also, you could have terped up the command center's landing pad a bit to its east if you pulled the reactors you had put there, then moved it east, then terped the left side down again to connect and get the power from those otherwise trapped emitters early on. I've seen quite a few CSM maps that it's really helpful to pull off a trick of moving it like that, even just one tile to connect the flow.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I hate to double post, but this merits it. The CW4 demo just went live on Steam!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Faylone posted:

I hate to double post, but this merits it. The CW4 demo just went live on Steam!

It is not available through the normal Steam store page. You have to get it using one of these links:

https://steamdb.info/app/1293770/

or

steam://install/1293770

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Yep. I've been fighting through technical issues (Steam and my PC haven't been getting along for a couple months now and this demo is the latest casualty), so who knows if I can even reliably run the thing. But I'm trying to get it going so I can do the necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My entire computer softlocks if I try to start a level with the "Quality" settings turned up. But if I click on "Performance" mode in the settings menu it works without trouble.

The softlock is probably because linux compatibility mode is usually the last thing on a game dev's mind but yeah.

I'll have to sort out which of the individual graphics qualities things I can actually turn on without my computer crashing.

Edit: CW4 LP thread is up now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928039