Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013
sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I ended up playing CW1 and CW3 because of this thread, so I'd like to see CW2.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Put me down for sequel. I originally played these back as they came out, from Training Sim on, but these days I find it hard to get into them, so I'm vicariously replaying them via you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sequel!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

sequel

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
The first game did a good job of setting the base mechanics for the rest of the series, but the sequels are so much better.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sequel please!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Gudrun 1-3

:siren:
https://youtu.be/yV1HNoIJlfU

Some decent relatively-high ground in our corner and a full set of upgrades make this a reasonably hospitable planet.

A fairly sizable network before the fighting starts. I take over most of the map before victory comes at 15:24.

https://youtu.be/vOnyTiw_-Mk

It's quite clear what's going on here. We've got the north, Creeper's got the south, and the test will come when we try to take the ravine in the middle.

Spore attacks complicate things, I make more than my usual share of errors, and eventually just go with a bunch of reactors to produce enough energy to brute-force a path across. 27 minutes for this struggle.

https://youtu.be/J8wpBQgzP1c

The plateau in the west seems the key strategic feature here.

I have to start fighting a bit sooner than I would have preferred. A compressed push of 4-5 blasters to the northwest gets me to the plateau.

An extra screenshot here as I got a little greedy with Odin City, moving it to the front as well. It worked ... barely. The city was more than halfway destroyed. Clearly the Commander should have more fully cleared the LZ first. All's well that ends well though, and this one ended in a 14+.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
A few interesting chornometer missions if there are any hard coded in

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting close to where I left off. I need to keep playing CW to finish these bonus stages before you do.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Thotimx posted:

An extra screenshot here as I got a little greedy with Odin City, moving it to the front as well. It worked ... barely. The city was more than halfway destroyed. Clearly the Commander should have more fully cleared the LZ first. All's well that ends well though, and this one ended in a 14+.

This one you could have been greedier, actually. I decided to gamble and ended up clearing it in 4 minutes by moving Odin City over there to start with. Little dicey, but with early blasters before things get too intense and the totems being all relatively near the plateau, I got away with it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I bought CW2 and have been playing my way through it, imo it is a better 'game' than CW1 in terms of being faster paced and really fun. Also it is really freaking hard at times.

Good luck on Horror.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I gave Bored to Death a try. Didn't beat it, but did find out that even though there isn't a limit on the amount of energy you can be collecting, there is a hard limit to the amount of energy you can deplete.
That limit is 32. Even if you have collection above 32, you will incur a deficit if you have to try to produce over 32 energy in packets. This also means that there is a fixed maximum in the number of weapon systems that can be supported. You will never reach this in any of the normal levels, but it is reachable in custom maps like Bored to Death.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finally beat all of conquest and special ops. Thanks for the motivation to finish the post-game Thotimx.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I blitzed your LP today and it got me to boot CW3 back up and play another mission.

Since I couldn't remember how anything worked, and the game doesn't have easily findable help files, I played it in the most inefficient way possible and took an hour and a half to complete it. :downs:

Weirdly enough I had fun, so I'll be keeping up with this LP and hacking out another mission later tonight!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Add me to the pile of those who got the last achievements because of this LP.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Akratic Method posted:

I decided to gamble and ended up clearing it in 4 minutes by moving Odin City over there to start with.

I thought about it and decided it was too risky. Cool!

Peachfart posted:

it is really freaking hard at times.

Good luck on Horror.

Strange story: I started recording CW2 a couple days ago and planned on playing 'a mission or two'. Naturally ended up binging it. Horror is the next one I didn't play. I decided to wait a bit longer after reading this.

InwardChaos posted:

there is a hard limit to the amount of energy you can deplete.
That limit is 32.

I'll take 'stuff no CW map should explore' for $200 Alex.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just wanted to let you know that I blitzed your LP today and it got me to boot CW3 back up and play another mission.

Glad you(and the others who have chimed in) are enjoying it!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Horror was the first mission where I lost a few times. I'm working my way through the game and I going to double down on 'CW2 is harder than CW1'. But also way more fun.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Gudrun 4-5

https://youtu.be/eCNi1FayQVI

Lots of low ground so getting a big network might be tough, but we've got a mid-sized safe plateau to claim.

2:15 in and I'm forced to start fighting already. I built three reactors, moved north avoiding the lowest terrain, and claimed the high ground in the northeast and northwest. After taking out a couple of emitters, getting to the Totems wasn't too difficult. 19 minutes here.

https://youtu.be/VrrPkp7fjtw

Spores, one upgrade, and there's really nowhere to go that's safe from the Creeper. Well, it is the last Conquest level.

The usual technique here of grabbing high, safe ground with collectors, using a mortar to pound deep areas and slow down the creeper, etc. Unfortunately, an avalanche of stupid would soon descend upon me. One of my biggest CW flaws, when I'm not particularly focused especially, is to forget about the Spores. So they came and caused some disruption.

I wasn't about to let that happen a second time on the same time. SAMs everywhere. I'D SHOW THEM!!

Classic overbuilding. The protective blasters didn't get enough ammunition, and not long after this connections were severed to most of the network. Odin City eventually perished before I could get it enough help. I lost a Conquest mission. The shame. Oh, I showed them, all right.

IDIOT.

https://youtu.be/_T2064waMAQ

So I couldn't figure out a way to edit out the borders here without stretching the video way out of wack.

This is what I like to call 'the right way'. Or at least A right way. SAMs spread out, a few support structures, a reasonable amount of blasters pushing along both northern and southern ridges as the creeper is allowed to flow into the low points. You know, sensible strategy. Not the 'shoot yourself in the foot' option. Another 19-minute win, after which I got the 'Conquest King' achievement for having finished all the Conquest missions.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Special Ops: Air

https://youtu.be/LSfvQuWbtIM

I think this level is more visually interesting than anything else. We've got an 'artifact' and start in a depression surrounded by a triangular 'ring' of sorts. A four-corners setup for the emitters.

Doom Timer: 9:43

So long as you don't dawdle, there's more then enough setup time. Probably because there's less space to fill, the east side will flood first.

'Platius' returns and steps out of character a bit.

As shown here, covering the entire island in collectors can be achieved well before running out of time. Soon the three mortars proved enough to keep the Creeper at bay, and it became only a question of how to best attack.

A few blasters would start things off, supported by my single biggest simultaneous reactor investment. The idea of building them all at once was simply to get most of the energy going here and not to the mortars.

The resulting income was enough to make a push off the south end. From here, I intended to bottle up the southwest approach of the creeper, and push to the southeast, taking out one of the closer emitters.

That went smoothly, and I cut off the northern passage, leaving the northeast emitter isolated. Frankly, it's already been over for a while at this point and there's not a great deal more to see.

The last emitter, in the northwest, took some time to get to as there isn't any land especially close ... but overwhelming firepower made it just a matter of technique.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, Creeper World predicted the fidget spinner.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

366 deficit is uh... a lot.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So windows 10 is a pain and gave me the blue frowny face of doom for the grave sin of killing its reboot task to prevent it from forcefully updating and restarting. Instead, it crashed, updated and restarted.

Unfortunately, I had an unsaved notepad window open with the names and links of a bunch of custom CW1 maps that were fun. However, I've still got the names. Either way the vote went to go straight to the sequel, but if anyone wants to play these:

Zelda, Hexo, Ombus, Zamor, SFEGA-04.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

General Revil posted:

So windows 10 is a pain and gave me the blue frowny face of doom for the grave sin of killing its reboot task to prevent it from forcefully updating and restarting. Instead, it crashed, updated and restarted.

Unfortunately, I had an unsaved notepad window open with the names and links of a bunch of custom CW1 maps that were fun. However, I've still got the names. Either way the vote went to go straight to the sequel, but if anyone wants to play these:

Zelda, Hexo, Ombus, Zamor, SFEGA-04.

Why would you ever use bare notepad? Use an autosaving text editor like notepad++.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I use bare notepad when I'm writing because I'm way too easily distracted, and I'm in the habit of using it for notes to myself. I use NP++ in almost every other case though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Inertia. I use bare notepad because I've just always used it and it's always there. Notepad++ is much better though and I should get in the habit of using it more often.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The real sin here is Win 10 and its "I'm going to update now! Not convenient for you? gently caress you, I don't give a poo poo!" attitude.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RickVoid posted:

The real sin here is Win 10 and its "I'm going to update now! Not convenient for you? gently caress you, I don't give a poo poo!" attitude.

That and its random "turn on at 3AM despite all wake timers being turned off." Then depending on whether I was in high performance or balanced mode, it'll either go back to sleep in a few minutes or stay running all night and drain my battery.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Teledahn posted:

366 deficit is uh... a lot.

It is indeed.

BlindSally posted:

Inertia. I use bare notepad because I've just always used it and it's always there.

I resemble this remark, only with WordPad. I'm starting to use notepad++ more, but not enough.

RickVoid posted:

Win 10 and its "I'm going to update now! Not convenient for you? gently caress you, I don't give a poo poo!" attitude.

Truth.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RickVoid posted:

supposedly if you put your internet connection as a metered connection it'll stop auto-updates. Haven't tried it for long enough though.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Special Ops: KC

The grand finale of the official bonus content is here. KC ... Kansas City?

https://youtu.be/oPcVYcAEXtE

I must now defeat the official logo of Knuckle Cracker, which comes with a trio of strong, constantly-pulsing emitters and little contiguous ground for building an expansive network.

Doom Timer: 12:49

The narrow gaps around the two sections of the 'logo' provide for chokepoints which slow the enemy's expansion. It's one of those where it will occupy a majority of the terrain to a significant depth quite quickly, but takes a lot longer to swamp everything. Part of this is that it is a gap of three elevation 'levels' from the surrounding terrain to the logo itself. It's a 'deep' map, which adds to the time allowed.

So survival isn't difficult, but it is non-trivial to become strong enough to conquer the enemy all the same.

Doesn't take long for it to become clear that the west end in the map will be safest, longest. And that reactors will be needed to deal with this volume of Creeper efficiently. I build a couple while the relays are connecting things up to the southern section. Gotta use the energy for something and this is better than building weapons I don't want firing yet.

The final words from 'Platius'. I'll be leaving Double-Down mode quite well enough alone, thank you very much. Of course I could play all 55 maps that way ... but I'm not going to. But hey, if anyone else hasn't had enough Creeper World yet, by all means knock yourselves out.

There is more ground around the letters in 'Cracker' than there is in 'Knuckle' to use for collection, so I expand the network further down there. Drone bases also; I've learned that bombing emitters themselves when they are particularly strong ones can be quite effective, and I just basically like the drone's ability to strike wherever creeper is deepest, as opposed to needing to find a secure spot for a Mortar. After almost four minutes, it's time to start fighting back a bit.

Storage and speed buildings aren't necessary for Drone operations, but they really help. In this way a reserve can be quickly used to rearm and get them back out there. Add more than a few speed structures though, and CW likes to hitch and stutter. So I find a balance, or attempt to.

With some minor energy issues the only hiccup, the first quartet of blasters make their way to the central emitter and quiet it down. So far it's going well.

The next push doesn't go so hot. I underestimate how much energy the blasters will need and get a number of them(and collectors) destroyed trying to get the east end of the lower landmass pacified. A big part of this is that there's really no good spots here where they won't fire a lot of their ammo at the lower areas. I've also got more weapons than energy to power them, which is why I'm building more reactors here.

After several more minutes of steady drone pounding lowers the amount of total creeper on the map, and expanding to 14 total reactors, I do eventually prevail.

I round off my display of adequate-but-not-great gameplay by futzing up the crossing to the final emitter in the northeast a bit, but eventually sorting things out. The when, not if, stage was reached when the second emitter was capped.

For completing all of the content, I am awarded with a couple of bonus achievements along with the basic one for the level itself. "Supreme Victory" just about spells it out -- Creeper World 1(Anniversary Edition) has been conquered.

I thank and congratulate all of you who have stuck through this entire journey with me. The introduction is now complete. One game down, four in the series to go.

The vote results were as follows:

** Sequel(10)
** Additional content in some form(5)

So a pretty clear choice; we're done with this one and moving on. I'll have an announcement about how all that is going to work sometime in the next couple of days, and then CW2 will commence.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats on the supreme victory.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

General Revil posted:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

General Revil posted:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

A bit of housekeeping news first. When the first CW2 update goes live, I'll be making the original CW playlist public also and putting a link to that in the OP. It'll be there for posterity in case anyone new shows up to the thread, I just had everything unlisted up till now because there's no commentary on it, and therefore no context.

Creeper World 2: Redemption

And now, time for the second of the four(soonish to be five it appears) games in the Creeper World series. This was released in 2011, two years after the original. General consensus, although this thread appears to differ, is that the gameplay isn't as good but the story is better. Judge for yourselves, of course.

Wot I No

Not much. Unlike the first part of the original game, this will be an almost completely blind playthrough. Prior to starting it, I had seen part of one episode. From that, I know that:

** There are more characters in the story.
** The whole 'network' thing doesn't really exist anymore, but the basic gameplay concepts are otherwhise very much recognizable with some retained units/structures and some new ones.
** Cross-section instead of top-down approach to this this whole unique tower-defence potpourri.

LP Style Changes

A combination of video and screenshots will continue, with the difference being that my audio blather(I mean, incisive, witty commentary) is now included in the video segments. The pace of updates will also be reduced somewhat -- a lot of the time I was doing daily ones during the original CW, and that's probably going to be more like every second or third day now.

LP Length

The Story is the same -- 20 missions. The 'official bonus content' is less though; 10 here. So it's only a little over half the number of 'official' maps. As before, the option for custom maps will be put to a vote at the end. It appears that basically what was done is that the Conquest-style stuff was removed. I haven't touched any of them but I'm assuming the official bonus maps are roughly analogous to the Special Ops ones from the original.

I'll be getting this show on the road at the precise timeframe of Soon(tm), otherwhise known as When I Can(patent pending). Should be within the next few days at most.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am super curious about CW2! Good luck putting updates together!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am super curious about CW2! Good luck putting updates together!

I'm slightly curious, but really I'm just waiting for him to experience CW3

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Looking forward to the sequel! :yum:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Awesome work, looking forward to the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I wound up grabbing a copy of the Steam Creeper World. So good. Thanks, Thotimx!

Burned through the Kongregate Creeper World 2, and while I didn't like it at first, it did weirdly grow on me.