Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Creeper World is a really original and fun game series! I enjoyed playing through the story line, too.

I never really got into the thousands of available fan-created levels, but if the story modes aren't enough for you, there's always that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You can lose to taking too long but that's because in some maps, the creeper is fast enough to overpower you if you don't get your defenses up immediately.

There are also a couple campaign maps where something plot-related happens halfway through the level, giving you either a hard time limit or making the level harder by adding emitters and stuff. Not sure if this is in all of the games.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For those who focus on the screenshot version over the video version:

When you pick up the artifact, a short message pops up that it's an enigma and the Odin scientists will have to study it for a while.

I think it would be nice if any of those little story bits are included in the screenshot version.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Deathwind posted:

Just wanted to mention, the 4th game is in development and is looking good.
https://youtu.be/sRT0-ejllwY

That looks quite nice. Note that it contains gameplay 'spoilers' for things that are introduced in CW2 and 3.

Speaking of which - I wouldn't mind of a sequel with the kind of gameplay seen in CW2. But I suppose we'll get to why I also like that game after CW1.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

General Revil posted:

Hope: 0:48 - (G1)0:50 - (I)1:20 - (T)2:49 - Pulled my time down by two seconds. I think it's RNG from when you have a non-integer component to your energy production.

I always assumed there's no RNG in your own buildings. Instead, energy production is a very simple average: if it's at 2.5 packets per second, it will release a packet every 1 / 2.5 seconds. I never confirmed that though. It could be that some bit of the code, such as internally updating the amount of packet production, only happens every 2 seconds or so.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think you showed quite well here why the Reactors aren't some sort of instant win button like you seemed to imply in the first mission they appeared.

They are a relatively large initial investment and for a fair comparison, the real value you should be working with is the time it costs when they've generated enough energy to pay back their own construction. Reactors cost 40 energy units, and they generate 0.3 energy units per second. That means it takes 40 / 0.3 = 133 seconds of being in operation before they start giving a net profit. For comparison, some internet source said that a collector that can reach its full area all by itself generates about 0.18 units per second, so there it only takes 10 / 0.18 = 55 seconds of being in operation before it pays itself back.

So, if you're going for speed, a reactor is only worth it if the time gained by having the additional energy is more than the 133 seconds + building time it costs.

And even if you're not playing exactly by numbers, building a reactor while already in a tight energy position is sometimes necessary - but also temporarily pulls a lot of energy away from your weapons. I'm glad reactors are in this game, they give us some additional strategic decisions to make.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

InwardChaos posted:

Could be worse. You could have a blaster acting as a relay between two sections of your network, and you move up said blaster, causing your entire frontline network to de-power, causing all of your blasters to run out of ammo and the creeper completely destroying your network, forcing a restart on the level you have been working on for 15 minutes.

...Not that I'm talking from experience... *whistles*

Good thing that it takes several seconds for blasters to run out and a disconnected network is immediately visible because all the green collector things go grey, so you can either quickly move the blaster back, or if you react fast enough, build a collector where it was and have no losses at all.

Accidentally moving a blaster while it acts as a relay? Happens to anyone. Then not noticing a disconnected part of your network for long enough that the creeper starts to overrun it? Now, that's wall-of-shame worthy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Say... you said you wanted to do a vote on how much extra material gets covered, right?

I strongly suggest not making this some simple yes/no vote, but instead, or alongside with that, have people recommend extra maps.

The reason for that is that in CW2 and CW3 I know there's at least a couple of extra maps that use the design of the game in a unique way, creating a quite different game experience than you'd expect otherwise. And whether you try out the endless user-created and randomly generated maps or not, I think it would be worthwhile to at least show off a couple of those unique maps.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

hey girl you up posted:

Having never played this game (and I couldn't find the flash version people mentioned, just a tutorial and the sequels) is there a reason you didn't throw blasters on the ridge? They can shoot down, right?

Either way, it's a cool game, a neat LP, and while I was wondering why you were down on the almost nonexistent story early on, I can't say I blame you now. (I was expecting a stable time loop, tbh.)

Except for the little bit to the south, that ridge is just barely a few pixels too small to build stuff on, I think. It just barely won't hold blasters. In other words, they thought of that idea and prevented it.

Ashsaber posted:

I only ever played the third game in the series, so seeing the rough edges in this was kinda surprising. I know that its to be expected, but woo boy you're in for a treat when you hit the third game if you enjoyed this at all.
Yes, the third game is really good. And I think the second game might surprise you quite a bit. It's very good too... but different.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Olesh posted:

I just got around to trying this, but you beat me to it.

I could have saved quite a lot of time if I had known that you have to actually collect the artifact and the Thor, instead of carefully building around them, grumble grumble.

It's also worth mentioning that the Creeper Nexus is just an obstruction, it doesn't actually do anything.

If some video on Youtube from someone else is to be believed, you can actually build right on top of the Nexus. It's just a static image, nothing more.

Also, it's the original emitter graphic, but made larger. A bit weird that they didn't change that one for the Anniversary Edition.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ChopRaider was an earlier game by the creator of Creeper World, Virgil Wall.

It's a rather simple flash game. I never really played it but I can't say it looks very interesting.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To quote the Knuckle Cracker wiki:
The map is based off a popular tower defence game called Desktop Tower Defence (DTD) made by Paul Preece.

I have no idea what the deal with the survivor pods is. You probably need to get them all before you can win the level but that doesn't seem like much of a problem in normal play. Maybe it's a reference to DTD?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's a steam sale this weekend. All CW games are 20% off, too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I say play any specific suggestions from people in this thread, then move on. I'd much rather see you spend a longer time on custom maps in CW3, they're more diverse than anything possible in CW1.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, Creeper World predicted the fidget spinner.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

General Revil posted:

So windows 10 is a pain and gave me the blue frowny face of doom for the grave sin of killing its reboot task to prevent it from forcefully updating and restarting. Instead, it crashed, updated and restarted.

Unfortunately, I had an unsaved notepad window open with the names and links of a bunch of custom CW1 maps that were fun. However, I've still got the names. Either way the vote went to go straight to the sequel, but if anyone wants to play these:

Zelda, Hexo, Ombus, Zamor, SFEGA-04.

Why would you ever use bare notepad? Use an autosaving text editor like notepad++.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tip when using a maker to vacuum up unused anti-creeper: keep moving it back and forth. Anti-creeper flows SLOOOWLY and has to come to the maker so if you just have it sit at the bottom of a pool, it'll take ages to suck it all up. If you move it to where the anti-creeper is it will suck it up much faster. The annoying thing is you have to keep doing that.

Also an important fact: once a Maker is built it will use NO ENERGY WHATSOEVER. Just ore. In the story missions I've never found a good reason to put a producing maker on anything less than 4x speed.
And there's another advantage to this: packets cannot move through solid terrain and have another limit which you'll find out quickly enough. But makers don't need packets, they just need to be in general range of a beacon. So you can move a maker to a place cut off from the ship, and as long as it's in range of a beacon it will keep producing AC. It's a good way to early infiltrate some deep creeper-filled caves (just don't sit your structures directly in creeper, they don't like that).

Edit: And some more ease of use tips: Shift + click to select multiple units, and double click to select units of the same type near the one you clicked.
There's even more complicated keyboard shortcuts like assigning groups of units in the help file, but I never use those.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 2, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx, I know this is a bit early but there's a thing I'd like to point out before I forget it.

There's a 'hidden' thing in the game that I didn't know existed until very recently and it would be a shame if you didn't notice it either and don't show it off. At least in this game and in the next, there's an extra mission waiting behind the Credits button in the main menu.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Unless I've misunderstood--is this something that was missed in Creeper World 1 or are we talking about CW2. Shiiiiiiiiit, did I just own myself?

It's in CW2 and 3. Don't know about the other games, I don't think it's in 1.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Olesh posted:

It doesn't seem like anti-creeper is particularly necessary, but looking at this it seems like the apparent drop-off of usefulness is just a function of not bothering to move them closer, right? It seems to me like you could use shields to backstop the anti-creeper, and occasionally leapfrog them forward and backstop them with more shields to keep the pressure up.

Yeah, I do that, and if my ore is running low I tend to build a Maker and set it up as a 4x vacuum and use it to mop up any AC left behind the shields. Makers don't use energy beyond the amount needed to build them in the first place, anyway so why not.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx posted:

I'm also not a huge fan of the way it changes 'formation'

Press F once at the start of a level so it says 'Formation' in the top bar, and units WILL stay in formation during multi-unit movement.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For the mission intro speech, page 3/16 is missing. Instead you got a duplicate 2/16.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of range, in some cases, where you're fighting creeper through a narrow corridor or around a corner, it might be worth it to just excavate a single corner block to give your blasters a more direct line of sight to the creeper. This does increase the attack surface for the creeper as well, so make sure you have enough power to handle that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A surprising amount of things can go through Rifts. Packets, movable units, launcher rockets, and also some things we haven't seen yet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx posted:

It is best to just accept it. Smile, nod, and move on.

Sounds good -- although you may wish to start a bribing campaign of your fellow readers and contributors. Last time the vote was pretty solidly in favor of 'let's move on to the sequel'.

Just make sure you keep options open in a new vote.

As in don't ask "hi do you want me to spend 50 episodes on extra levels or move on to CW3?" but see if people are interested in at least some extra levels. I think most people would be, as long as people who know what maps are out there can recommend some good stuff. There's also a huge difference between playing a selection of extra maps that show game design ideas that didn't come up in the main levels vs. playing all kinds of maps just to show off how good you are.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 10, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A couple comments on this mission:

- For the first capsule on the top, I believe I started out with a repulsor pointing into that one-square gap the creeper pours from. It buys time and it means that even after getting that capsule you can just leave the one blaster there and move it inward whenever you think of checking and you don't need to bother with it as much. I'm not sure if it actually saves energy though.

- For the excavation to the final capsule, I'm rather surprised at your approach. My strategy here was to excavate as far in as I could WITHOUT releasing the creeper, put all my blasters and launchers in the corridor, make sure I got a couple blasters on backup, and then excavate the final block. When the creeper is released it might destroy one or two blasters (which you can replace with your backups) but it won't be able to flow into the tunnel at all. No need to fight your way into that tunnel first.

This is actually what I did for most missions that requires excavating into dense creeper. I excavated as much as I could without releasing the creeper, moved all my weapons in there, then excavated the blocks keeping the creeper in, with the wider the attack surface at that point, the better. So, removing all the blocks between the creeper and my weapons.

Also I'll admit that in missions like these, I started save scumming at some point. It's very annoying to have the first half down but then have to start over again because you don't know the winning strategy for the second half. Just save after the first half, then restart there if you lose.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's no autosave, but you can save a game mid-mission behind the Game button to the bottom left I think. It's behind one of those buttons at least.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only real kind of strategy advice I found for these games (outside what we're talking about here) is those youtube videos where people win a map four times faster than any sane person.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's kinda nice to see how powerful you get with all upgrades maxed out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx posted:

More SCIENCE. I've expanded operations a bit, and you can see that the blaster just fired at this drone ... but one shot isn't enough. These things take multiple shots to kill, despite me imploring the weapon: "Fight it! Shoot it! Blow it up!!" Well, it did succeed in shooting it, but the drone still took out a reactor.
I'm gonna assume you did this not just by shouting at your screen, but by carefully, thoughtfully and thoroughly checking out your options, including the blaster settings to prioritize Drones or Creeper. The default is actually pretty good in this level but later on, dividing the tasks up among the weapons can be quite helpful.

Wait, when did you start recording commentary? The first videos in CW1 didn't have any commentary and I don't care about uncommentated vids so I just followed the screenshots, and I stopped bothering to click on the video links. Now I click on one at random and there's commentary in it?

InwardChaos posted:

If you are fast enough, you manually disable the rift by clicking it and pressing "Q". This will prevent the Drones from entering the rift.
drat, I did not realize that you can disable rifts. The times that drones got too close to one I panicked and destroyed the rift instead.

Also, I can't be the only one who thinks that from afar, the drones look a bit like a skull with crossbones behind it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Indeed. I had no idea it was even possible to win this stage without doing that!

Even then, you need to hurry with those repulsors before you get overrun from both the top and the bottom.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This mission is where I learned how valuable saves are between 'challenges' within a mission.

Also, I believe that row of creeper you said was 'optional' is what generates the fast moving squares of creeper in the corridor around it. They're not much of a hazard but it's just a bit safer to take it out so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well done, in the end. Took you a bit but you figured out a solid strategy.

By the way, the super drones take a chunk of damage every time they take out on of your units. It's very hard to take them out with weapons alone, but if you can build new units fast enough, sacrificing some cheap units is well worth it.

I think I approached the bit with the super drone by breaching the wall next to the gate, so I didn't have as much creeper to fight before I could take out the gate. Not sure if that matters a whole lot, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx posted:

Now the briefings do say this whole thing is just basically to attack the Nexus core anyway,

[...]

But given everything else that's covered in the briefing, I really think Aliana should have mentioned this in there somewhere. A single sentence is all that would have been required.

Ahem.

quote:

And to answer your question: Please keep playing blindly. Just don't play more than 2 or so missions ahead of the thread so you can apply thread tips from earlier missions in your later ones.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 7, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The message at the beginning and the level's design is clearly a reference to the movie Cube, in case you hadn't figured that out yet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Faylone posted:

A few customs would be nice for CW2, since it particularly has some interesting things that can only be seen in custom maps

Voting for this, too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx posted:

and I also think I'm worse at it than the first two games from what I've seen so far.

oh no

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

InwardChaos posted:

Hmm... you're right, it doesn't appear in the main game. Granted, anti-creeper emitters also are not part of the main game, but are an option in custom levels, as shown in the levels we've seen so far.
Another option available to level designers is to change the payload of Phantoms to Anti-creeper. MotC 3 utilizes this, for example. Though sometimes people take it too far. One bad level I played had 10 Phantoms spawning every second that dispensed 10k Anti-creeper whenever they hit, and it lagged the game into an un-playable state on my computer.

Worse than that, every phantom launch causes the alarm to sound, and if there's multiple in the same second, the game STACKS the sounds, and it becomes unbearably loud.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shields can be used to force projectile'd creeper out of its force field so it starts acting like normal creeper but usually that isn't worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for showing off this extra stuff, it was neat to see.

For CW3, I'm gonna give some advice that would just be as relevant as for CW2: every unit has this little control panel with buttons at the bottom, like the CW2 maker having "produce" and "vacuum", right? Do not ignore the control panels. They exist for a reason.