Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:siren::siren:The last day to vote is Friday, January 12th. Posts after 12am CST on January 13th will not be counted.:siren::siren:

This feels like one of the strongest years in anime in a long while, so good luck making your shortlist! The usual rules apply:

Rules:
- Pick up to 5 series from the list.
- Rank them if you want. I feel like it's more interesting when people do, but it's totally optional.
- Write something about your choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I added more exclamation points this year, so you better do it.
- Feel free to discuss picks, but don't be a prick.

If you notice anything missing that finished this year, let me know so I can update the list accordingly. I did purposely ignore some stuff like Beyblade b/c I don't suppose anyone here watches it (if it even has subs), and some split-cour shows have been collapsed into a single list entry. Movies/OVAs are in kind of a gray area but I did include some OVA series that concluded this year and I know some high profile movies actually got subs within their release year...so feel free to throw in votes for those. I also wrote the list like last week, so if anything on it is unclear just ask and I'll try to figure out what I meant at the time.

code:
100% Teacher Pascal
18if
ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
Aho Girl
Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends
Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
Akiba's Trip The Animation
Alice & Zouroku
All Out!
Altair: A Record of Battles
Angel's 3Piece!
Animegataris
Anonymous Noise
Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Arc
Armed Girls' Machiavellianism
A Sister's All You Need.
Atom: The Beginning
Attack on Titan: Lost Girls
Attack on Titan Season 2
BanG Dream!
Battle Girl High School
Beast in the Skirt
Berserk 2nd Season
Blend S
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
Cardfight!! Vanguard G: Next
Centaur's Worries
Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas
Chaos;Child
Chii's Sweet Adventure
Children of the Whales
Chiruran 1/2
Chronos Ruler
Cinderella Girls Gekijou
Classicaloid
Classroom of the Elite
Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun
Clione no Akari
Clockwork Planet
Code:Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~
Convenience Store Boyfriends
Danmachi: Sword Oratoria
Dia Horizon
Dies Irae
Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters
Dive!!
Dream Festival! R
Dynamic Chord
eiDLIVE
Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
Eromanga-sensei
Evil or Live
Fastest Finger First
Fate/Apocrypha
Fireball Humorous
Forest Fairy Five
Frame Arms Girl
Future Card Buddyfight Triple D
Fuuka
Gabriel Dropout
Gamers!
Gintama.
Gintama.: Porori-hen
Girls' Last Tour
Glamorous Heroes
Granblue Fantasy The Animation
Grimoire of Zero
Gundam Build Fighters: Battlogue
Hand Shakers
Hell Girl: Fourth Twilight
Heybot!
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Hinako Note
Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic
Hitorijime My Hero
How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend .flat
Hozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season
ID-0
Idol Incidents
IDOLiSH7
Ikemen Sengoku: Bromances Across Time
In Another World With My Smartphone
Infini-T Force
Interviews with Monster Girls
Inuyashiki
Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor
Just Because!
Juuni Taisen: Zodiac Wars
Kabuki-bu!
KADO: The Right Answer
Kaito x Ansa
Kakegurui
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Kemono Friends
Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys
King's Game The Animation
Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series
Kirakira Precure A La Mode
Knight's & Magic
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Konohana Kitan
KonoSuba 2
Kyoukai no Rinne 3rd Season
Land of the Lustruous
Laughing Salesman NEW
Little Witch Academia
Long Riders!
Love and Lies
Love Is Like A Cocktail
Love Kome: We Love Rice
Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season
Love Tyrant
Made in Abyss
Magical Circle Guru Guru
Makeruna!! Aku no Gundan!
March Comes In Like A Lion S1
Marginal #4 The Animation
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Minami Kamakura High School Girls' Cycling Club
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Mobile Suit Gundam: Twilight Axis
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season
Monster Strike The Anime 2nd Season
My First Girlfriend is a Gal
My Girlfriend is Shobitch
My Hero Academia Season 2
Natsume's Book of Friends Season 6
Netsuzou TRap
New Game!!
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master
Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat
Nyanbo!
Nyanko Days
Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyoki na, Mondaiji.
One Room
Onihei
Our Love Has Always Been 10 Centimeters Apart.
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Piacevole: My Italian Cooking
Pikotarou's Lullaby La La Bye
Please Take My Brother Away
Princess Principal
PriPara
PriPri Chii-chan!!
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Re:Creators
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Reikenzan: Eichi e no Shikaku
Restaurant to Another World
Rewrite 2nd Season
RoboMasters the Animated Series
Room Mate
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Sagrada Reset
Saiyuuki Reload Blast
Sakura Quest
Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel
Scum's Wish
Seiren
Sengokuchojugiga
Sengoku Night Blood
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ
Seven Mortal Sins
Shokugeki no Soma: 3rd Plate
Shonen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
Souryo to Majiwaru Shikiyoku no Yoru ni...
Starmyu 2nd Season
SukaSuka
Super Lovers 2
Taisho Mebiusline: Chicchai-san
Tales of Zestiria the X
Teekyuu 9
The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star
The Eccentric Family 2
The iDOLM@STER SideM
The Reflection
The Royal Tutor
The Silver Guardian
The World YAMIZUKAN
Tiger Mask W
Time Bokan 24
Tomica Hyper Rescue Drive Head: Mobile Emergency Police
Trickster
Tsugumomo
Tsuki ga Kirei
Tsukipro The Animation
Tsurezure Children
Twin Angel Break
Twin Star Exorcists
Two Car
UQ Holder
Urahara
Urara Meirochou
Vatican Miracle Examiner
Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou
Welcome to the Ballroom
Yamishibai 4th Season
Yamishibai 5th Season
Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation
YuGiOh Arc-V
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Hero Chapter
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

1. Land of the Lustrous
2. Girls' Last Tour
3. Little Witch Academia
4. Made in Abyss
5. New Game!!

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 26, 2017

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
One of the best anime years in a while, and it ends with a bang with 2 anime of the year in Land of the Lustrous and Girls' Last Tour.

1. Land of the Lustrous - The entire package. Great OST, characters, story and action. I loved every one of the gems. The move to 3D was a great choice, and really made me look forward to 3d in anime. Episode 8 and 10 were insanely good and really made you feel for the characters.
2. Princess Principal - Opening of the Season. Great characters and some nice James Bond spycraft thriller. A nice take on the Prince and the Pauper story. Each character got their own arc to grow. Desperately hoping for a second season.
3. Girls' Last Tour - Chillin' in the apocalypse. The blend of chill and despair is something to be savored. The last episode's montage was a masterpiece and encompassed the whole show's message.
4. Little Witch Academia - Trigger has saved anime! Feel good show of the season, with Triggers always good animation.
5. Kemono Friends - Who knew an anime with this low of a budget could show this much heart? Also educational. Hopefully the second season isn't compromised by the drama. :rip: Grape-kun.

Honorable mentions:
Made in Abyss
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Tsurezure Children

The first half of 2018 seems stacked as well, so I'm excited.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 26, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
My favourite animes of the year were

ACCA - This was such a delightful story, all the locales were lovely and the bureaucratic espionage was really compelling. I'm glad of Mauve, the dreamiest character in a cast full of really charming individual
Eccentric Family 2 - Wonderful continuation to one of my favourite animes, features the absolute cutest tanukis. Really looking forward to the next part one day
Girls Last Tour - This was pretty much a flawless adaptation of a manga I really enjoy. Some real high-grade subdued but lovely stories about continuing on in the face of bleak hopelessness. Good robots and slugcats too
Land of the Lustrous - Just absurdly pretty and a really fascinating world. Go watch Gems now, it's amazing and I really hope it gets another season soon. Cinnabar is probably my favourite gem but they were all so charming in their own ways it's close
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - I watched both seasons of Rakugo this year so it all kinda blended together but drat if it isn't one of the best stories. Really powerful personal drama and some stunning performances, Kikohiko's rakugo is something I would absolutely watch a lot more of. They're all really cute too, would hug

also Isekai Shokudou, Tsuki Ga Kirei, Sengokuchojyugiga, Natsume and Made in Abyss were all great too, among many others, and people should go watch them. There was a lot of really good anime this year, wow

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

• 1. Land of the Lustrous
  • 2. Princess Principal
  • 3. Magical Circle Guru Guru
  • 4. Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon
  • 5. Kemono Friends

Almost but not quite top 5: Made in Abyss, Girls' Last Tour, KonoSuba 2, My Hero Academia 2, Little Witch Academia, MMO Junkie.
Best Short: Tzuredure Children

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 26, 2017

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
This was very difficult to select just five; even harder to rank.

1. Princess Principal - apparently steampunk spy stories grab something deep inside me and don't let go. Great characters, good actions scenes, and the non-linear episode order was a perfect choice. Remember, Beato will save them all.
2. Kemono Friends - good story with heart made animation quality irrelevant.
3. Girls' Last Tour - you know how some people shout at the movie or TV show when the characters look like they're about to be hurt, or worse? I don't do that. Except for this show, I did do that.
4. Gabriel Dropout - good comedic slice-of-life show, made me laugh and lord knows I need that
5. Saga of Tanya the Evil - cute killer loli thrown into war by angry god? 'nuff said.

Honorable Mentions: Land of the Lustrious, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Konohana Kitan, KonoSuba 2, Sakura Quest, Urara Meirochou (yeah, I like slice-of-life stuff quite a bit)

Beato Believer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 26, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

drat, I ended up not finishing very much current anime at all this year

I only finished three on that list and they are all my favorites this year.

ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department was really well done, awesome execution and art and music. Loved it all and my only complaint it that there isn't more.

Ninja Girl and Samurai Master was really good and taught me that Oda Nobunaga was a good person who killed lots of people just because he wanted to unite Japan, and that he had a cute ninja friend. I'd love to see more of this, as well.

Sengokuchojugiga taught me the back half of Oda Nobunaga history, and went into his secret gay life.

Thanknyou and that's all I finished, this year.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

1.) New Game!! - Excellent adaptation of a great manga. Great cast of fun characters who have tons of chemistry together, good balance of slice-o-life antics with serious stories of professional growth, it looks great - no real complaints. Found myself looking forward to it more than almost anything else this year.
2.) Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - Juuust got edged out by New Game because of a few gross jokes, but the highs are the highest I saw in any show all year. At its best, Maidragon's an immaculately produced story of love, family, and self-made homes.
3.) Girls' Last Tour - Really, I could defend putting these top 3 in any order, I loved them all to death. KyoAni production values just snuck Maidragon past this one, but Girls' Last Tour found a way to groove on a melancholy and bittersweet tone I'm extremely weak to, and that I've seen very little of outside Sound Of The Sky. Consistently well-crafted, melancholy, and sweet in equal measures.
4.) Princess Principal - Stylish and entertaining spy antics with a cute Yuri subplot and deceptively thoughtful character dynamics. That's a pretty easy way to win me over.
5.) Symphogear AXZ - Didn't match the uproarous highs of Season 1 or G, but avoided any of GX's missteps and was probably the most consistent season of Symphogear thus far. Not sure it had any particular stand up and cheer moment, but it was still recognizably Symphogear (which is to say that it was charismatic, endearing, and relentlessly fun) and set up some really exciting stuff for S5. Hope we get more details there soon.

Honorable Mentions: Made In Abyss, Little Witch Academia, Gabriel Dropout, Alice and Zoroku, Konohana Kitan, Dragon Ball Super, WorldEnd

The "I Really Need To Finish This One" Award: My Hero Academia S2 - loved S1, liked what I watched of S2, just haven't gotten back around to it. Hope to get to it before the holiday's over.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 26, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad we got gorf to finish acca

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous:
Brilliant show. Incredible character growth, animation, music, pacing, and design. It's also the first anime to get CG right to the point I could show it to people without them realizing it was CG.

Osomatsu Season 2:
Almost as funny as the first season with a lot of great jokes. They go the extra mile in the animation to push the humor. 50,000 SUMMA

Little Witch Academia:
Fun series with good designs. Was easy to watch an episode out of order, but the lack of strong plot through-line discouraged me a bit.

Ancient Magus Bride:
Good characters and visuals overcome the strange premise and lack of strong plot.

That's all I watched, aside from Berserk 2017 which I can't put on a "best of" list despite the songs from Susumu Hirasawa and the occasional good shot.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 26, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

March Lion S1 and Kemono friends are the only shows I finished this year I liked

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

GorfZaplen posted:

drat, I ended up not finishing very much current anime at all this year

I only finished three on that list and they are all my favorites this year.

ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department was really well done, awesome execution and art and music. Loved it all and my only complaint it that there isn't more.

Ninja Girl and Samurai Master was really good and taught me that Oda Nobunaga was a good person who killed lots of people just because he wanted to unite Japan, and that he had a cute ninja friend. I'd love to see more of this, as well.

Sengokuchojugiga taught me the back half of Oda Nobunaga history, and went into his secret gay life.

something about your choices makes me think you should watch this

As for me:
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master: Short, to the point, funny, and also interesting
Konosuba 2: Took the characters on an interesting new adventure, which is all you can ask for from a parody RPG series really
Hey You! Be a Netojuu! watching these sad nerds fall in love was pretty amusing
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ: Almost entirely on the strength of the alchemists. Finally the franchise has a group of "villains" that can stand shoulder to shoulder with last action hero Dr. Ver
Magical Circle Guru Guru: I was going to give this slot to Tiger Mask W for having a really strong ending, but then I remembered how the prior 40 or so episodes were lukewarm. This show, on the other hand, was running at full throttle almost the entire time. The breakneck pace might put some people off, but between how well some of the jokes land, the at times strikingly good animation, and it's general good nature, I figure it wins out

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I also did not finish much this year, but here are the five I remember having finished, roughly ranked.

1. ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department As Gorf said everything about it was incredibly well executed, and I still listen to the soundtrack at work, my favorite being the song that plays during the next episode previews. I will disagree in that I think it ended as it should have. It's a slow show but keeps tension the whole way through, and is absolutely worth watching. It's also a defense of the devoted rank and file people in a bureaucracy.

2. Recovery of an MMO Junkie Only barely edged out by ACCA for me as a recommendation, but I'm at an age and place in life where this show landed incredibly hard for me. Moriko is an incredibly relateable protagonist with problems that are not heavy drama but pretty ordinary. The show neither solely praises nor judges her retreat into NEETdom and an MMO, but shows the good that's coming from what social interactions she's having there and how it helps her return to the real world rather than running away into escapism (but without suggesting that she should ditch her MMO). It's definitely a good pick-me-up and has adorable 30ish year old teenagers. The greatest crime is that the OVA episode teases what a second season might have been, but the source material is on effectively permanent hiatus.

3. New Game season 2 While the first season was about meeting the characters and Aoba taking her first steps among an established cast who know what they are doing, season 2 shows those characters growing into new responsibilities and their own personal and professional anxieties like failure and rejection and fear of being exposed as a fraud. For a kinda fanservicey CGDCT show its portrayals are still relateable.

4. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid A great adaptation that stays true to the source material (for better or worse in some cases that may be too much for some to get past) while also transforming it into a cute story about family and love. How Kobayashi is changed by the new people in her life is fun to watch, and really driven home by some of the added material.

5. Symphogear AXZ Not the greatest season of Symphogear, but it's still Symphogear and has some great action scenes and an even more over the top opening than last season. Looking forward to season 5.

I still need to finish Girls' Last Tour and Land of the Lustrous, but I'm sure they'd be on this list and don't need my votes. Please watch ACCA and MMO Junkie.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
I didn't watch too many series, but I do wanna say Restaurant to Another World was real good. The premise was interesting and I liked all the characters stories. Of course, the food looked drat tasty as well. Lizard Man is maybe my favorite of them.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh, I know movies are kind of a weird thing in these lists but if we had an anime movie of the year, I'd vote for Night is short, Walk on girl - it's an incredible frenetic adventure of a film and an absolute blast to watch. Definitely try to see it however you can

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
1 Land of the Lustrous My favourite manga proving 3D Anime can work

2 Girl's Last Tour A great sense of melancholy throughout

3 Princess Principal Fun Spy Girl Action

4 Little Witch Academia More Sucy is always appreciated

5 Magical Circle Guru Guru Simply adorable

There are a lot of shows I need to get round to watching like Rakugo, March Comes in Like a Lion and The Eccentric Family S2, which are no doubt going to pop up in a lot of other people's lists.
Having two shows from the current season shows how strong it is, or at least maybe I only remember the most recent things I've watched.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

1)Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans Season 2: The first half of season 2 was kind of... softball, I thought. The show backed off from the implications of the plot at the last minute in the first season finale, and since then the show hadn't killed off anyone important. Even the arc about pointless loss and death had a glorified extra get two episodes of buildup for the death rather than kill off any of the regular leads.

Then 2017 hit, and Iron Blooded Orphans realized it had to pick up the pace if it wanted to beat Victory in the child soldier misery sweeps.

I'm not claiming it was anywhere near a perfect show, but it went places I didn't expect, did its best to consider some interesting questions, and had some pretty good fights. If you want brutal violence and serious attempts to consider the nature of inequality, you could do worse.

2) Konosuba Season 2: Speaking of doing worse at examining social issues...

Honestly, it felt like Konosuba didn't even try! It was just a show about a small group of idiots and/or weirdos repeatedly loving up and creating more and more disasters while claiming they were trying to save the world. Fortunately, that was exactly what it needed to be.

Darkness was pervier, Aqua was dumber, Megumin was more explosive happy, and Kazuma was even better at walking the line between scumbag and the only sane person on the show. Plus, we got Vanir. Good times.

3) My Hero Academia Season 2: Like usual for MHA, it covered the basics, but it did them very, very well. The anime original content added rather than detracted, the voices and animation were solid, and the pacing was good. Compare it to something like Black Clover, and My Hero looks even better.

4) Little Witch Academia: The overarcing plot could have been better handled, and it needed more Sucy, but yeah. Solid Trigger fun.

5)Kino's Journey: Never seen the first anime or read the book, so I can't offer a verdict there, but
for what it was, I enjoyed it. Weird countries, a gunslinging protagonist who just wanted to play tourist (and who'd bring hell down on anyone who insisted on making a fight anyway), and a talking motorcycle usually made for a nice show to watch.

Of course, all this comes with a gigantic asterisk for the place marker, since I saw Your Name in theaters this year, and it pretty much crushes everything else on the list like a bug under a steamroller. That's a really good movie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1: Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous: The best anime ever made, except for Symphogear. Incredibly well animated, gorgeous music, great use of CG, wonderful direction, incredibly endearing characters, great voice performances, funny, sad, exciting, interesting. literally my only complaint is 'a couple of individual shots look weird' and 'where they choose to end the episodes can sometimes feel a little forced to make a cliffhanger.'

2: Little Witch Academia: Funny, good animation, really expands on a pretty charming cast of characters. A couple of the episodes in the first half were kind of dull and a few of the side characters could have used more development relative to how much emphasis the show seems to place on them at times, but it's a good, well-made show.

3: Symphogear AXZ: The plotting is a little slapdash due to a need for fights to happen every episode, a couple of the episodes looked bad, and a few of heroes' character arcs were weird or kind of wasted, but it had excellent animation in other places, great music, and probably the best villains of any anime I watched this year, both the Illuminati Trio and their character arcs and Adam and his complete scumbaggery. Heck, I even felt a little bad for Tiki by the end, and she had like twenty lines. Not the best the show has to offer, but definitely above and beyond GX, and a good continuation.

4: New Game!!: A comedy that knows just how much drama to work in to make things compelling without feeling overwrought. The new additions to the cast were a little hit or miss the show was pretty obvious about which characters it actually cared about, but the characters it did care about got really satisfying arcs, and there were some good gags in there. Plus it dug into the game development side more than the first season did, since Aoba's there from start to finish.

5: KiraKira Precure: It started out a little weightless and weird, but by about episode 12ish the characters were really, really enjoyable, and it was fun to just hang out with them week to week. Plus, rad baking tips.

Honorable Mentions
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: I liked it as I was watching it, but it seemed like for every funny joke or sincere character moment there was a criminally unfunny joke or some weird thing that really didn't need to be there. There were some good moments, though, and KyoAni's as strong a studio as ever.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie: Likeable and warm, but the romance never really felt as natural to me as it could have.

Love Live Sunshine Season 2: I liked Season 1 a lot, I just haven't gotten around to this show. I'm sure I'd like it. TBH If I had watched it there's a decent chance it would knock off KiraKira.

Ancient Magus Bride: I like the manga a lot, but I didn't touch the anime. so hey.

Shion no Ou: This didn't air this year but I watched it this year and it's insane in a good way. A mute girl plays shogi to avenge her parent's murder but mostly everyone just sits around talking about how sexist the culture around shogi is. the op is a weird grunge rock song. please watch this show.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
1: Land of the Lustrous
My girlfriend had started reading the manga about a month before this came out and told me good things, so I was expecting good things, but this show just completely blew me away. The camera work and motion were just phenomenal all the way through, Phos' personal journey is engaging and bewildering, and the whole world is mysterious and unusual in a way I haven't seen in a while. I adored everything about Land of the Lustrous and will recommend it for years to come.

2: Girls' Last Tour
A neat, cozy little show about driving a tank through the apocalypse. This show is dark and somber, but never loses its glimmer of hope, which makes it feel earnest in a way I really love. Girls' Last Tour is going to be a show I recommend for life.

3: My Hero Academia Season 2
All the goodness of the manga, with none of the pacing issues of season 1. This season covered some really good arcs, and they went all in on animating some of the most spectacular moments.

4: Little Witch's Academia
Cute witches having fun in a well animated, action packed world. I enjoyed the adventure.

5: Made In Abyss
I loved this series for a lot of the same reasons I loved Land of the Lustrous, but it didn't do it quite as well, and there's that weird aura that comes with a series where children get naked a lot on camera that makes this show impossible to ever suggest to anyone. In spite of that, it was a really good adventure story with some dark tones that was written well, which is not common at all, so it still makes my list. But only barely - both LotL and Girls' Last Tour hit a lot of the same notes, but significantly better and without that creep factor, which is why both of those rank much higher on my list.

Honorable mentions go to nothing, because while I watched like 5 other shows this year, I didn't enjoy any of them nearly as much as I enjoyed anything else on this list. I found ACCA boring, Juuni Taisen was a trainwreck past episode 4, Urahara was a pacing nightmare, and Magus Bride plays it so safe I just kinda bounced off of it.

Good year for anime overall, though, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

DILBO
Dec 26, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

1: Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous: The best anime ever made, except for Symphogear. Incredibly well animated, gorgeous music, great use of CG, wonderful direction, incredibly endearing characters, great voice performances, funny, sad, exciting, interesting. literally my only complaint is 'a couple of individual shots look weird' and 'where they choose to end the episodes can sometimes feel a little forced to make a cliffhanger.'

2: Little Witch Academia: Funny, good animation, really expands on a pretty charming cast of characters. A couple of the episodes in the first half were kind of dull and a few of the side characters could have used more development relative to how much emphasis the show seems to place on them at times, but it's a good, well-made show.

3: Symphogear AXZ: The plotting is a little slapdash due to a need for fights to happen every episode, a couple of the episodes looked bad, and a few of heroes' character arcs were weird or kind of wasted, but it had excellent animation in other places, great music, and probably the best villains of any anime I watched this year, both the Illuminati Trio and their character arcs and Adam and his complete scumbaggery. Heck, I even felt a little bad for Tiki by the end, and she had like twenty lines. Not the best the show has to offer, but definitely above and beyond GX, and a good continuation.

4: New Game!!: A comedy that knows just how much drama to work in to make things compelling without feeling overwrought. The new additions to the cast were a little hit or miss the show was pretty obvious about which characters it actually cared about, but the characters it did care about got really satisfying arcs, and there were some good gags in there. Plus it dug into the game development side more than the first season did, since Aoba's there from start to finish.

5: KiraKira Precure: It started out a little weightless and weird, but by about episode 12ish the characters were really, really enjoyable, and it was fun to just hang out with them week to week. Plus, rad baking tips.

Honorable Mentions
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: I liked it as I was watching it, but it seemed like for every funny joke or sincere character moment there was a criminally unfunny joke or some weird thing that really didn't need to be there. There were some good moments, though, and KyoAni's as strong a studio as ever.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie: Likeable and warm, but the romance never really felt as natural to me as it could have.

Love Live Sunshine Season 2: I liked Season 1 a lot, I just haven't gotten around to this show. I'm sure I'd like it. TBH If I had watched it there's a decent chance it would knock off KiraKira.

Ancient Magus Bride: I like the manga a lot, but I didn't touch the anime. so hey.

Shion no Ou: This didn't air this year but I watched it this year and it's insane in a good way. A mute girl plays shogi to avenge her parent's murder but mostly everyone just sits around talking about how sexist the culture around shogi is. the op is a weird grunge rock song. please watch this show.

I agree with everything with this but AXZ, I loved the show but imo it felt lacking. I agree with you but Love live should replace symphogear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

post your own list, you have that power

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
1. Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous
This show is loving amazing and there's nothing I can think of that's quite like it. Everything about it hit me, from the drama to the moments of goofy lighthearted comedy it had the perfect mix to bring me in and keep me interested and I really really want a continuation. This show rocks.

2. Little Witch Academia
Just a goddamn pure, lovable and inspiring show, I was really hugely disappointed with Trigger's big show last year and this just ended up completely blowing my expectations away. It's a joy to look at and its writing left an even deeper impression on me than I expected. I was about to give it my number one spot before Houseki aired.

3. Girls' Last Tour
It's like 1:30am and i just remembered that this was like my third favorite show of the year but glt is the best loving anime about a pair of gay blobs pondering the reasons to live in a desolate empty wasteland ever made and the ending is perfect. watch this good poo poo

4. New Game!!
I thought the first season was decently funny and had some cool bits of character writing, so I came into season 2 expecting a bit more of the same and I got one of the most self-aware, genuine workplace comedies I've seen. Shifting the focus away from careless goofy antics, this season placed a bigger focus on the struggles of working in the industry and the arising drama and the rifts it creates between the people working there, and the growing sense of self-doubt within rising young artists, and just ending on regular-rear end relationship drama treated with enough weight to leave impact, but not so much that it just feels melodramatic, it just feels very simple and relatable and sweet. I can't think of many shows that have rocketed past my initial expectations like this one.

5. Symphogear AXZ
It's a bit shaky at times, but this season hammers in pretty much all the same stuff I liked about earlier seasons on top of having one of the more memorable and interesting bad guy gangs in the series, who are given way more time to just kind of interact with each other and give a sense of who they are as characters than the villains in the previous season. I had a lot of fun with this.

i might post my honorable mentions tomorrow i shouldn't even be up this late jesus christ

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Rakugo and Owari so far tied in last place with zero votes. ADTRW declaring unanimously: gently caress stories.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
1. Girl's Last Tour: Absolute masterpiece, all time classic anime. Masterful combination of melancholy, thoughtfulness and cute that blew me away pretty much every episode. Great soundtrack, great pacing, great characters. The ending was superb as well.

2. Princess Principal: This show was too much goddamn fun, and I loved the way it mixed up tones and themes from episode to episode. Between this and Flip Flappers Studio 3hz is killing it for me.

3. Land of the Lustrous: Amazing use of 3D, the first ever to use it well. The plot is consistently compelling and Phos is a great loveable gently caress up.

4. Tanya the Evil: Somehow one of the most accurate portrayals I've seen of navigating the military as an officer despite it being about a 12 year old girl who wants to kill God.

5. Made in Abyss: This would be higher if not for a couple of regrettable elements.

Honorable mention: Scum's Wish: doki doki

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

Rakugo and Owari so far tied in last place with zero votes. ADTRW declaring unanimously: gently caress stories.

i think most of these other anime have stories, also rakugo has a vote

kater
Nov 16, 2010

well fine.

DILBO
Dec 26, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
1. Inuyashiki: Last Hero
To me it wasn't the best show in the world, but super consistent their wasn't an episode where I was like "nani the gently caress" or anything serious. It made me question more but always filled my answers

Girls last tour
This is a good show I just cant rate it higher because the pacing. It's perfect for what it is is, bit I want more

2nd Gintama
It's always there for me, I don't have to say more. It's what it is

3rd Teekyuu 9
Yup this one, pure fun don't care

4th Re:creatores
This had some bad pacing issues but I did like it, it would have been ATOY IF if actually was more self aware for the poo poo egg it layed

5nd Gintama
It's always there for me, I don't have to say more. It's what it is

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

kater posted:

Your

List

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I think I watched anime this year

1. Made in Abyss
2. March Lion
3. Little Witch Academia
4. Konosuba season 2
5. Kemono Friends

But I haven't watched anything from the latest season...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lots of good shows I didn't have the time to watch this year, I'll just stick with the ones I completed...

1. Mahoujin Guruguru. A fun, FUN and cute romp of the sort you seem to see very little of these days. Made Tuesdays the most fun day. WATCH THIS PEOPLE

2. MMO Junkie. Probably not a great show on paper, but kept impressing me with its warmth and charm. In the trifecta of this, Welcome to the NHK and Watamote, it definitely forms the optimistic counterpoint. People in MMO are supportive and nice, and online activities help you sort through your issues.

3. Maidragon. Unlike the previous two, it is absolutely no surprise I was gonna love this and I did. Kyoani does it again.

The top three are super easy, the rest... Hmm

4. Eccentric Family 2. Frankly this was a little disappointing. My big issue with it is Benten - I like the character, I like the mystery of her, but the mystery is getting too drawn out to the extent that I'm not sure if we can get a satisfying answer. Still, some really standout episodes.

5. Little Witch Academia. The other disappointment. I was expecting something less episodic and a lot of the individual stories felt formulaic and unmemorable. Still, that episode with the fish was pretty good.

WORST SHOW:

Welcome to the Ballroom. Other shows might be badly made or whatever. That's nothing. Someone died making this utterly mediocre show.

Virgin Soul is pretty good if you watch the first half of it, stop, and then imagine the rest.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 26, 2017

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Land of the Lustrous
Girls' Last Tour
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Kemono Friends

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

1. Showa Genblah blah Rakugo season 2 - This show is loving lit as gently caress. It takes your emotions, stabs them with a knife, and then both it and your emotions break a railing on a balcony and fall 50 meters into a river while clutching each other. At least, according to one witness.

2. ACCA - It tells a cool story, the setting is super interesting, and the characters are fun and lovable and sometimes even sexy. [s]Even[/s ]especially the bad guy.

3. Idolmaster Side M - Lots of really good characters in this one, including two who I absolutely adore. It's extremely cute, the music is great, the OP is great, watch it. Technically its not over yet and even if it was I haven't caught up but I don't give a drat, I want it on my list.

4. Katsugeki Touken Ranbu - This is such a wild ride. The two primary characters undergo real change over the course of the show, as a rift slowly forms between them. Its fantastic drama. Like the other Touken Ranbu anime, this is an underrated work of art.

5. Knight's and Magic - This is a fabulously charming anime where a little kid who really loves robots makes some insanely cool robots. I consider it a solid reminder that you don't need to have edgy, high stakes conflict to tell a good story.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

1. Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous : Visually, the most captivating anime I watched this year. Gorgeous use of CG, fascinating world-building, delightful characterization, excellent voice work and music, intriguing plot all wrapped around a bittersweet motif of how, when trying to find your place in the world, the world can (literally) break you apart and put you back together in ways you never imagined. This one definitely checked all the boxes for me.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju : I was all in on this one after the first season. This continuation, in my opinion, eclipsed the first part and the first season was already outstanding. Also, it was nice to see a show have enough confidence to tell its' story at its' own pace.

3. Demi-chan wa Kataritai/Interviews With Monster Girls : Dorky monster girls and their dorky teachers. I don't expect this one to be on a lot of lists, but it really resonated with me. An episodic anime that never lost sight that the titular Monster Girls were girls first and "monsters" second, with a very sweet message that inclusion of those considered different tends to enrich the lives of all parties. Also, sensei wins the award for "Best Arms".

4. Princess Principal : Loved the style, loved the characters, especially Dorothy and Beatrice, loved the music. I need more Steampunk Spy Girls in my life.

5. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou /Girls' Last Tour : Not much more to be said about this one that hasn't already been said. A story, both melancholy and hopeful, of two best friends always moving forward in their journey even if they are not quite sure what their destination is. Also with the message that mushroom cats make the best companions.

Honorable Mentions

ACCA, Konosuba Season 2, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, MMO Junkie, Made in Abyss, Tsuki ga Kirei

This was a good year for anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

i think after the fourth season of gatari people should probably have resigned themselves to it getting few to no votes by virtue of investment required

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All of my top 5 are from Winter 2017. The year opened with such a bang and then basically nothing else ever caught my interest afterwards.

1). Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen: I waffled a lot between this and March Lion, eventually settling upon Rakugo on the basis that unfortunately it was able to tell a complete story and tell it so loving well that March Lion, which of course was just getting started, could not compete with it ultimately. What a thing this was after all was said and done. It would not be an exaggeration to describe Rakugo as one of my favorite series of all time. An enthralling journey through time, weaving a tale of a man's life and his relationships that was as captivating as the tales he himself told. Season 2 in particular elevated this work as it was able to transition into more of the present and contained the fallout of many characters' decisions (both good and bad), and how they were able to rise (or not) from there. An anime I will remember for a long, long time.

2). March Comes In Like A Lion S1: March Lion is my favorite ongoing manga on the moment, and Shaft surprisingly turned out to be the best possible studio to take a crack at it. It's a story that loves to live in metaphor and symbolism, and the creativity Shaft likes to bring to many of its shots, landscapes, and character animations worked hand-in-hand with this seamlessly. The drama in this story is one of the best I've ever seen and every character is precious. It is incredibly heavy at times, but I also don't know if I can think of a more uplifting tale in which you could observe this lovely cast rising to the occasion to overcome their hardships. The only knock I can give it is that season 1 ends in kind of a weird spot, just before the amazing arc currently in season 2 was able to get going. I hope Shaft is in this for the long haul because it will be remembered as something really, really special by the end.

3). ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department: Outstanding political theatre and drama, with a pretty memorable cast, catchy OST, and a very pleasant art style/aesthetic.

4). Interviews with Monster Girls: As a fan of the manga, this was as good of an adaption as I could ask for. I'm not sure it really rose above the material to justify its place as an adaption (in the way that say March Lion did) but I'm glad it got made, was competent, and hopefully introduced a larger audience to the work. I like Hikari's vampire cape flapping animation in the OP.

5). Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: What I like about this show I really like (Kobayashi/Tohru's relationship, several side characters, beautiful animation/art, quirky/fun OP/ED), and what I dislike about this show I really dislike (basically everything else).

Honorable Mentions (really just the leftovers of stuff I bothered to finish):
Gabriel Dropout
KonoSuba 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Land of Lustrous would have probably worked its way in there if I had gotten to watch it yet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The stuff I liked this year I enjoyed much more than the stuff I liked last year, to the point where my weakest of my 2017 faves still beats out everything on my list last year. Crazy!

1. Night is Short, Walk on Girl - This is basically everything I would have wanted out of a spinoff to Tatami Galaxy. A movie that invokes some very similar style and emotions while still being clearly distinct. Able to juggle a lot of different subplots at once while never being weighed down. A movie that maintains a lot of surreal vibes while still full of human emotion. A story of one wild night leading to a variety of adventures. It's anime like this that makes me continue to look forward to every single thing Yuasa works on. In a lot of ways Science Saru has become what I wanted out of Trigger.

2. Kizumonogatari III - It'd be pretty easy to say "Hey this is -monogatari with a movie budget, of course it'd be pretty drat good". But that's selling it a bit short. After the Second Series (aka the third tv season, because that's how -monogatari rolls) I felt so satisfied with how it wrapped up that I wasn't following the series as closely as I used to. As a prequel it's a bit of an oddity; many of the characters act like the way they've developed in later entries, meaning that if you're a terrible person that decides to watch -monogatari chronologically, there will be some jarring changes to the cast. But that initial oddity wore off quickly, and by the third film (the only one to come out in 2017) it had long since settled into that usual -monogatari groove. Characters just shooting the poo poo and getting derailed from the big picture over petty details as Nisio's characters are wont to do, and it still feels as fresh as ever. It's impossible to recommend a -monogatari entry on its own at this point as it all builds on each other, but hey if like you've been a lapsed fan of the series consider checking Kizu out. It's by far the best the series has ever looked, as well as being the horniest and goriest. In other words, it's -monogatari with a movie budget, of course it'd be pretty drat good.

3. Lupin the Third: The Blood Spray of Goemon Ishikawa - As the followup to the excellent movie Jigen's Gravestone, this was a bit lacking. But as a Lupin movie in general, it's a very solid entry. Koike has been a fantastic director for these recent movies with his sharp attention to detail, body language, and his portrayal of violence that's able to stay just a few steps away from being too excessive for the subject matter. Much like Jigen's Gravestone it doesn't feel like rehashing the same old Lupin beats and instead makes a unique movie that still feels distinctly like Lupin, making it another fine entry in what has unquestionably been the best decade for Lupin since the 80s.

4. Attack on Titan S2 - I never thought that this would wind up one of my favorites of the year. I was mostly lukewarm on the original season due to a few issues, but they've all been fixed here. With so much manga available at this point the pacing was able to be a lot more natural, and because a significant portion of the season focused on side characters they were able to avoid the feeling of invincibility that the main cast has; for the most part it's the same result but hey at least there's the illusion that things could turn out differently this time. I've always felt that AoT is at its strongest when it's able to really push just how costly even the smallest victory can be, and while the stakes aren't as high as the first season that feeling still remains.

5. Lu Over the Wall - It's such a strong, charming movie in the first two acts that despite the third act's issues with not knowing what it wants to be (it winds up being a mess but it's such a consistently gorgeous mess even at its worst that I can't help but love it), it's still one of the better things I've seen this year. Whenever the main appeal of a tv anime is its animation and its animation alone, I usually regret watching it. But when it's contained within a single movie it's much more easy to look past the flaws on the writing side of things; not only is it one of the best-looking anime I've seen in 2017 it's absolutely the most visually creative anime I've seen this year bar none. For such a new studio to put out two visually stunning movies in one year just speaks to the strength of the team Yuasa brought with him. And hell, at some point I'll probably rewatch it to see if I can get a better sense of what it's going for in that third act. It's very possible it'll go down better on a second viewing and I'm more than willing to sit through it again to find out.

Honorable Mentions:

Laughing Salesman NEW - This twilight zone-esque anime had a rough start but once it got into its groove there were some fine episodes. I recommend checking out the last episode if you want a decent taste of it. It's all episodic anyways so you're not spoiling yourself.

Boruto - Shouting Boruto out here because it's gonna run for a long time thus making it ineligible for votes. I'm sure I'm not the only person here that got bored with Naruto during the war that lasted hundreds of chapters. Well, if you're like me then good news, Boruto is more like the early, good parts of Naruto than the later, bad parts. It might fall into the same trap someday but until then Boruto has remained a consistently solid show that I've been looking forward to each week.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
1. March Comes In Like A Lion S1

I loved this show and consider it one of my all-time favorites. Seeing Rei struggling to improve himself and grow as a person is very exciting. I particularly liked the Shimada arc from season 1 also. I wouldn't be surprised to see something very similar here when it comes to the best anime of 2018.

2. My Hero Academia Season 2

Yeah, it's another sequel. This is a really good show though. The Stain fight was a major highlight, as was the impressive animation in the Todoroki fight. I continue to look forward to more. I had read the manga for this one, but the anime adds enough that it still feels fresh and worth watching.

3. Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

I swear this is the last sequel on the last. But yeah, this was a huge improvement. I didn't love the first season of BBB, but the second season delivered everything I wanted. We got a closer look at the zany members of Libra and what they got up to. The episodes focusing on Chain (Mission Chainpossible is a great name also) and on K.K. were particularly good. I also really thought the finale was a home run, and made me appreciate Leo where sometimes I get a little tired of him.

4. Princess Principal

I enjoyed this show pretty thoroughly. The action was good and the characters fun and interesting. It also had the best OP of the year, I think. I'm hoping it gets a second season.

5. Recovery of an MMO Junkie

The romance was cute, Moriko was funny, and the MMO backdrop worked really well. It was just a well executed show.

Honorable mentions:

Owarimonogatari 2nd Season: It was a good end to the main storyline, but none of the arcs stood out to me that much in retrospect. I did like it though.

Little Witch Academia: The second half of this show was good, once the main antagonist is introduced, and we get some fun episodes focused on the secondary cast. The ending was also good. The first half of the show was pretty bad though, and it's hard to make up for that completely.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
1. Princess Principal - Spy stuff is right up my alley and this show was just a lot of fun all around.
2. Girls Last Tour - Everything about this show was great, and I think it did a great job of conveying all the feelings people living out the end of the world might go through. Also the last episode was a perfect way to end it.
3. MMO Junkie - I spent 2/3 of 2017 mostly just playing video games as an unemployed 30 year old after being laid off from a corporate job, so this show was way too real for me, but it was also cute and good
4. New Game!! - A very funny comedy that also did a great job of developing the main cast in season 2
5. Konosuba S2 - It was more konosuba

Honorable mentions: Kemono Friends, Made in Abyss, LL Sunshine S2

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

1. Land of the Lustrous - Anime of the decade. Everything about it is just flawlessly executed.
2. Made in Abyss - This one had a few issues, but I was pretty invested by the end.
3. Konosuba 2 - Still one of the funniest anime I've seen.
4. Recovery of an MMO Junkie - It's nice to see an anime protagonist play an MMO without getting trapped in it.
5. Anime Gataris - At first this show just seemed like the kind of harmless fluff that you forget about as soon as you're done watching it, but it becomes wonderfully weird toward the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Put the appropriate music to read this: 2017 was one of the best years for anime, and if people weren't watching, they weren't paying attention

1. Little Witch Academia. The best thing Trigger or anyone else did this loving year, which was beyond wild with good anime. As people have said, this is not a perfect show: There are a couple of episodes that miss the mark in the first half; afterwards, though? It's all gold diapers, tasty beverages, 4-cheese pizza on one side and 3-meat on the other. Its sheer joie de vivre is almost palpable. This is probably what I consider the 2nd best "Gateway" anime ever, but it is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best anime that came out in 2017 in my opinion. Even if you hate Netflix, just do the 30-day trial and watch it. Speaking of the best gateway series to come out this year...
  2. ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department. This is the show you can put with friends who are like "Ew, chinese cartoons!" and it will charm the pants, skirts, socks and everything else off of them. Especially if they don't care one fig about Ghibli / Hosoda / Shinkai movies. My parents LOVED it, and it's so far removed from their "strike zones" it's not even funny. My girlfriend loved it. It's one of the best adaptations I have seen of everything period. I don't know if this or LWA is better, to be perfectly honest. Yes, even taking into account...
  3. Land of the Lustrous. Yes, I'm a late-comer to this show, but I watched it in its entirety and I loved everything about it. From its themes, to its usage of 3D/CG/whatever it is. It only gets third place because the source material is still ongoing as opposed to Little Witch Academia (OGT) and ACCA (manga, which is complete and also FANTASTIC) and, while the presentation is loving gorgeous, I still liked the playful aesthetics that LWA and ACCA a bit better. Again, totally understand why everyone is so enamored with this show, and in my short time with it, I've come to love it as well. Just not as much as the first two places. Speaking of beloved things...
  4. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen. This show. This loving tragic, adorable, badass, flawed, incredibly awe-inspiring show. This season by itself only gets fourth place, but I can say, without any dumb exaggeration, that if we were to unfairly combine both season 1 and season 2 into one entry, it would DESTROY anything else in this list. Since I've been aware of Rakugo, it has come to occupy a similar place in my interests as that of Stand-up Comedy (and I've come to love it just as much), and this show just has amplified the sheer love I have for it. I hope that all these shows (meaning spots 1 through 4) eventually become new standard-bearers for stuff that newcomers can watch when taking their first steps into anime (I love Bebop and Eva just as much as the other guy, but we need to step out of our comfort zones as well, peeps).
  5. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! 2. I've re-watched the two seasons of this show at least three times this year alone. While at times I wished it adapted more of its source material given what I've read from people in several sites including this one, everything that's been adapted so far has been a goddamn riot. I love all the characters, even if they are irredeemably awful/flawed/dumb people. Aqua for best (useless) goddess.

Honorable mentions:
  • Girls' Last Tour. Pretty drat good show. Technically much better than KonoSuba's 2nd Season in every aspect except the funny.
  • Princess Principal. Pretty drat good show. Would've been an obvious top 3 in any other year.
  • Gintamas. Two Silver Souls for the price of one year, hot-drat! And last season is-a-coming!
  • March Comes In Like A Lion S1. Incredibly mature and excellently put-together. It's just... well, look at the year, you guys.
  • BBB and Beyond. Again, in any other year, the sheer badassitude, goofiness and up-to-earth moments would've made this a Top 3 series. Alas, not this year. Still pretty loving good show, though!
  • Gamers! I've read somewhere that this was "The Death Note of RomCom Misunderstandings". That was an incredibly dumb description, but the sheer amount of cute and dumb these kids have going on was endearing as hell.
  • Tsurezure Children. Short, (mostly) sweet and hella charming.
  • Love is like a cocktail. Shorter, sweeter and even more charming.
  • My Hero Academia's 2nd Season. This had the best episode of all year, bar none. (spoilers for guys who haven't seen/read it, because c'mon) When "You Say Run!" starts playing that drum fill after Deku yells "IT'S YOUR drat POWER, ISN'T IT? to Todoroki, all while fighting broken bones and trying to prove his own worth, I was getting choked up. I know it's a simple show, and that this was scripted to trying to tug at my heart-strings the hardest, but dammit, it was so well done. Again, it was a really good show, but so many rad shows came out this year.
There are at least 5 other shows that I watched to their completion which I loved, but enough already. Again, WHAT A YEAR! :dance:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 26, 2017

• Locked thread