Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
5.Tiger Mask W

Sweaty muscular dudes beat the poo poo out of other sweaty muscular dudes. Occasionally, sweaty muscular ladies beat the poo poo out of other sweaty muscular ladies. The art is wild and rough, and the animation has a very strong sense of movement and impact. This show does have a handful of weak episodes, especially early on, and there is a huge amount of recycled animation, but on the whole it's a violent, bloody, rockin' good time.

4.Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Very sweet and pretty show about an office worker and a dragon's romance. The whole show had a lot of fun animation, especially when the dragons were in their reptilian form. Their eyes were very cool. Also, Fafnir is the best!

3.March Comes In Like a Lion Season 1

A show about depression and finding companionship. I really related to Rei and his struggles. I also love how the show goes out of it's way to humanize his Shogi opponents. If there's one thing I can't stand about a lot of sports fiction is that it villainizes the opposition quite a lot.

2.Made in Abyss

Quite possibly the strongest show of the year, from a purely production quality stand point. Beautiful backgrounds, lots of great prop art, and wonderful critter animation abound throughout, and the music matches the intensity and atmosphere perfectly. The show does get more hosed as it goes but it does a good job of easing you into it as Riko and Reg descend into the abyss. The ending credits scene was superb.

1.Land of the Lustrous

It's weird, beautiful and awesome. Lots of amazing action and art. The scale in some of the fight scenes is incredible. The cast is all great. I love how this show is actually incredibly violent but it can get away with a lot more thanks to the characters being made of rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
1. Land of the Lustrous - I love the manga, and this is a really good adaptation. Also, cannot praise the music and Phos noises enough. The only thing disappointing here was the ending.
2. Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ - this season had my favorite villain team of the show.
3. Princess Principal - Steampunk that does not fall over itself to fellate how cool it was to be upper class? Alright I'm in.
4. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - basically everything involving the Kobayashi family is great and I love it, but it gets dragged down a lot by almost everything involving Lucoa and Shouta.
5. Scum's Wish - Trashy junk, but it's my kind of trash, and I really like the ending.

Honorable Mention:
LWA, which I only watched the first half of when it went up on netflix and haven't finished yet.
March Comes In Like a Lion, which I still haven't finished the first season of, but what I've seen is really good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Silver2195 posted:

2. Centaur's Worries

I've said before that I'm not quite sure what to make of this show, which might be part of why I like it. It doesn't try to stick to a consistent tone - and why should it? It's depicting an entire world to some extent, and the real world doesn't have a consistent tone either. I'm not entirely sure what the creators' attitude is toward the society depicted, but I think the point is not so much to praise or condemn it as to explore how such a diverse society would almost have to work.

:agreed: I liked that about the show too, it was oddly naturalistic

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
1. Land of the Lustrous might well be the one show to finally convince most people that Studio Orange is great at 3D animation. Beyond the technical side of things, I found myself caring more for the characters and story than what I had initially expected, so I'm definitely on board to see any potential sequel (or even check out the manga one day).

2. Princess Principal was a lot of fun. Great setting, enjoyable characters and a number of memorable sequences. I am hoping we'll get to see this team of silly spies again in the not so distant future.

3. Made in Abyss is a great series. I cannot even begin to deny the strength of its world-building, soundtrack and the effective use of cruelty, regardless of occasionally having mixed feelings about certain things, such as the ages and designs of the characters.

4. The Ancient Magus' Bride is proof that you can take a potentially questionable premise and find ways to rise above it. The cast of characters is weird but definitely charming and I think it has only continued to get better after the OVA.

5. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 was quite a solid mecha anime melodrama in my experience, despite not necessarily being the biggest fan of the direction the story took towards the end. Leaving a couple of such disappointments aside, I was generally satisfied with the results in retrospect.

Honorable mentions:
ID-0 (decent show overall that almost nobody watched), Gundam Build Fighters: Battlogue (sweet mecha action but too short), Attack on Titan S2 (I've occasionally fallen off the train with this property, but this definitely wasn't bad), Saga of Tanya the Evil (this was enjoyable while it lasted, but I don't know if there's anything left to do with the concept), Fate/Apocrypha (it's down here mostly because I am admittedly not up to date on this one).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't realize March Comes in Like a Lion s1ended this year, so that should be on my list as well.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
1. ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department - A surprise hit this year. Chill and enjoyable the whole way through, and an absolutely gorgeous art style.
2. March Comes In Like A Lion S1 - This would have been close to my top last year too, if it had ended a bit earlier. As it is, it only barely gets edged out. A beautifully haunting depiction of depression. I loved it even when it hurt.
3. Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond - Even better than the first season. I adored the focus on the more ignored characters from s1, and the finish was extremely strong unlike last season.
4. Little Witch Academia - Even I'm surprised this got so low on my list this year. It was still a good show, it just got beat out by better shows.
5. Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Strong for the first half, got a bit weak near the end. Not a fan of the finish, but overall still a good show with an excellent protagonist (who has bad taste in men)

e: forgot to say:

best anime i watched this year that wasn't new: Initial D - A really good car show that's more than just memes about eurobeat and drifting.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 28, 2017

RME
Feb 20, 2012

initial d is legit

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
1. Rakugo2 Finally finished it recently after having fallen off of watching it during the season in which it aired. Funny, happy, tragic, beautiful... clearly the best show of the year in every way. I didn't think it was as good as Season 1, but still better than anything else that I watched.
2.Uchouten Kazoku 2
3. Sagrada Reset
4. Made in Abyss
5. Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism

HM: Lustrous, ACCA, Rokudenashi, Love Tyrant (Best OP of the year, too), Guruguru, Gamers, Owarimonogatari, Seiren, Youjitsu, Sukasuka, Maidragon, Demi-chan, Gabriel Dropout, Masamune-kun's Revenge, Kuzu no Honkai.

Best thread of the year: Attack on Titan 2. No spoilers that I, at least, saw, and watching it alongside a bunch of other goons as we learned things about the world and characters made for the show being a much better experience than it might have been on my own.

Really, the ranks after the first two (including moving between top 5 and HM) can easily change based on the particular moment I happen to be typing, but for me Eccentric2 and Rakugo2 stood head and shoulders over everything else this year. Note: I have not watched MarchLion past like season1ep8, but based on response that will likely be one of the things I work on in 2018, since it seems like many people feel that it's another of the year's standouts.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 28, 2017

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I loved all the animes about sexy children

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

March Lion

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

1 - Princess Principal: Nothing did action better this year quite frankly. This is just an all round brilliant and fun show that more people need to watch.

2 - Made in Abyss: A great adventure in a fascinating world, and the ability to back up the threatening nature of the Abyss with some of the most harrowing scenes this year.

3 - Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen: Not only is this show a great way to learn about an artform, here some funny stories and have a good time, that's all linked to a wonderful drama and some of my favourite characters.

4 - Konosuba 2: Also from the same season as Rakugo, from the same studio even, Konosuba remains as funny as it was before, and perhaps funnier at times.

5 - Tsuredure Children: A shorter series than most, since episodes were half the length of a normal series, Tsuredure hits all of the right notes that many other shows that would have been my 5th pick, but without any of the bullshit and with twice the comedic and emotional punch.

Gamers, MMO Junkie, Kobayashi, New Game!!, Scum's Wish, etc. are all great shows too and I'd highly recommend them, but Youjo Senki or Tanya the Evil was another really fun war series, and we don't get enough war. What a year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
New girlfriend means I rekindled my anime watching this fall. As such, we only got one season worth of anime watched from that:

1) Shokugeki No Soma: 3rd Plate - Strong season 3 from an epic show about cooking. I will have to go back and watch the first two seasons soon.

2) Magical Circle Guru Guru - 1 and a half episodes to go. I think I find it funnier than the girlfriend, but she's more attracted to the cuteness of it. Some excellent satirical, parody, or meta humor, including in the translation.

3) Recovery of an MMO Junkie - I'm really bummed that the source material is missing, but am sorta hoping that they continue the story anyway. I want an actual ending to the series!

4) Ancient Magus Bride - Enjoyable, nicely arted

5) Little Witch Academia - Watched this on my own in the spring. It was OK.

In my backlog:
March Comes In Like a Lion, Land of the Lustrous, Made in Abyss, Kino's Journey, ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 29, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The people who list the shows they didn't finish this year are automatically toxxing that they'll finish them next year.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't watch most of the show people really liked this season, so heres the best of what I saw

1) Interview With Monster Girls
It was just really good in every way. It was funny, and sweet, and super sympathetic to all the characters.

2)Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
Great action, great music, great characters, learned from the misstep of the first season.

3)Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends
The classic drama returns for a third season full of surprising twists, amazing backstories, and even some laughs. I haven't read the thread but I assume it's somewhere in everyone's top five this year.

4)Saga of Tanya the Evil
Super dramatic, great action, great music. I especially loved how well researched it was.

5)Minami Kamakura High School Girls' Cycling Club
Top of my list for worst anime this year, for making me want to go bicycling in Kamakura so bad :mad:

Special mentions
Long Riders!, the other good bicycling anime this year. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, very cute and sweet. Centaur's Worries, excellent world building, and I loved how it eschewed traditional notions of "tone"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Reading everyone's list and adding ACCA and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju to my list, they seem extremely My poo poo.

#5: Made in Abyss: A really interesting adventure show that gave me Big Classic JRPG Feelings. It built a super interesting and cohesive world and I'm genuinely interested in more of the mystery. I find it a little hard to reccomend tho due to it's content, I totally get why people would hate it. Anything that casts Toshiyuki Morikawa as a villain is good tho

#4: The Eccentric Family - Season 2: The Eccentric Family is one of my favorite slice of life shows and is only so low because of every other cool thing that came out this year. Just a good meditation on life, grief and fitting in. Constantly had me surprised, I loved it a lot.

#3: My Hero Academia - Season 2: I'm a huge sucker for shonen and this animated one of my favorite arcs, going above and beyond with it. It made me cry and places the manga never did. Maybe I'll Finally Read The Manga Now.

#2: Land of the Lustrous: Such a loving fascinating and beautiful show, not at all what I expected. I finished it like an hour ago and now I just want to rewatch it again, probably gonna end up buying the manga for it, it's so great.

#1: March Comes In Like Lion - Season 1: An absolutely perfect and stellar presentation of depression, anxiety, broken people, loneliness, but also family and love. I've never really related to a show this hard before and I want to run out and grab people by the shoulders and tell them about it, I love it so so much and I've barely scratched the surface of Season 2, I can't believe there's just more of it. I sound like a total fangirl but gently caress dude, i love it. One of my new personal all time favs, I really want the manga to get licensed.

2017, an absolutely godawful year in the irl space, but pretty loving great for media

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
1: Girls' Last Tour
2: Attack on Titan S2
3: Princess Principal

...and it turns out I didn't watch very many anime this year again and so there are only three things I saw that were good enough to go on the list.

Lunatic Crossing
Jan 21, 2007
AOTY:
March Comes In Like a Lion S1

In no particular order:
Rakugo S2
KonoSuba S2
Eccentric Family S2
ACCA

Honorable mentions:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

Wish I had a time machine, so I could tell past me to watch Made in Abyss, Girls' Last Tour and Land of the Lustrous instead of finishing garbage shows like Fate/Apocrypha and Re:Creators.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

1. In This Corner of the World
2. Land of the Lustrous
3. March Comes in Like a Lion
4. Owarimonogatari S2
5. Attack on Titan S2

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Can only really go for one noteworthy entry this year:

My Hero Academia Season 2
I had missed season 1 and figured Shonen was still bad and trash, but I got convinced to give this show a shot and I guess I was wrong. Nice show that made me wish for more.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, is My Hero Academia better or worse than HxH? That was the last shounen fightman show I watched.

Only finished a few shows this year, but gotta throw the one vote that matters:
March Comes in Like a Lion

Honorable mentions to Osomatsu-san and Fate/Apocrypha. Season 1 of Osomatsu waaaaaaaayyyyyy better. This was okay, but a lot of the jokes everyone else liked fell flat to me. The only bits I really liked were Totoko-chan being a raging bitch, the Cicada bit, and Kamen Summer. And F/Apo because I'm just a Fate fanboy. :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are both good and it is up to personal taste which is better. they aren't terribly similar, either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

So, is My Hero Academia better or worse than HxH? That was the last shounen fightman show I watched.

HxH and MHA often get compared but they're not similar.
MHA is a straight laced by the books shonen and good at that for a solid 90% of its run in the manga to date. The oddest thing is that MHA is already roughly half as long as HxH is. :(

As for which is better, personal taste.

But the answer is HxH by a mile. Cough cough.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If we're talking the animes, the action in MHA is better by nature of not being really long running like hxh. I think hxh has more interesting plots (after the first couple), even if the pacing is slower.

They're both good and worth your time

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah like everyone has said, they're not comparable at all beyond both being action shows with magic powers

they're both very good and worth your time if you like one of the two

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

If we're talking the animes, the action in MHA is better by nature of not being really long running like hxh
i think the action in hxh is way better in the big fight scenes tho i guess mha has its action across a much smaller timeframe, but like, hisoka vs gon or mereum vs netero blows anything in mha out of the water and i like mha

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think the action in hxh is way better in the big fight scenes tho i guess mha has its action across a much smaller timeframe, but like, hisoka vs gon or mereum vs netero blows anything in mha out of the water and i like mha

I’m hoping that the big fight scene next season approaches Meruem vs. Netero in quality - it’s of a similar scale and importance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i think the action in hxh being more spaced out isn't a long running thing necessarily, hxh 2011 never really had to stall for time, its more to do with just the pacing of the story. hxh doesnt really want to be constant action, it's long periods of intrigue, or discussion, or character buildings, punctuated by huge bursts of action. even the tournament arc-ish story, heaven's arena, has lots of buildup of intrigue about hisoka and explanations of how nen works, building up to hisoka vs gon. and obviously yorknew is more about this giant game of cat and mouse than about fighting a group of bad guys, and chimera ant dedicates like 70% of its runtime to building up the ants and mereum specifically.

like yeah it's way longer than mha because there's more to go off of, but even if mha was finished and the same length as hxh, itd have more action than hxh because hxh is a lot more interested in worldbuilding, mood, etc, and the action exists mostly to punctuate that, not for its own sake.

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m hoping that the big fight scene next season approaches Meruem vs. Netero in quality - it’s of a similar scale and importance.
mha has some good people on staff but it seems to have much rougher scheduling than hxh 2011 did. season 2 patched it up a bit but there were still palces where some shots just felt rushed? hxh 2011 felt really smooth in comparison, with only really heaven's arena and greed island having any noticeable instances of corners being cut. i hope they can pull off something really good with the season 3 stuff since i love that arc in mha, and they've done some great stuff in mha, but it might just not be possible to reach the levels hxh 2011 did. idk, we'll see.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To this day it still baffles me that HxH is still considered "Jump" taking into account how... bleak can Togashi's handiwork get.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

To this day it still baffles me that HxH is still considered "Jump" taking into account how... bleak can Togashi's handiwork get.
i mean keep in mind stuff like hnk with post-apocalyptic gory head explosions is what made jump popular to begin with. plus by the time the chimera ant arc started jump's readership was already 40% adults.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

1. Owarimonogatari: Second Season: A fantastic, beautiful finale for the Bakemonogatari story so far. It gives you what you expect from another season of -monogatari: fantastic visuals, funny jokes, baffling wordplay, philosophy and good girls. But this season adapted three particularly great arcs. Mayoi Hell is good, Hitagi Rendezvous is fantastic and adorable, and Ougi Dark is the perfect finale to Araragi's high school life. Went in completely blind, and the resolution to Ougi's story was so great that it had me on my feet cheering for Araragi. dark cherry mystery is probably my new favorite OP. Honestly can't gush enough about it, but I'm desperately trying not to spoil anything, so I guess I'll stop. Great show, great season. Please watch it.

2. Interviews with Monster Girls: A show about a good teacher, trying to understand the unique situations of his three monster girl students and his succubi colleague. Funny and heartwarming.

3. Konosuba S2: More of these idiots. Funnier than the first season, which was already pretty drat good.

4. Aho Girl: A giant rear end in a top hat and his extremely stupid childhood "friend" get into hijinks. Pretty funny short show. A little fanservicey and pervy at times, which might not be to everyone's taste, but suited me just fine. Yoshiko's mom pulls some crazy loving poo poo, including one scene that had me dead laughing.

5. My Hero Academia S2: Shounen fight anime, but like, really good shounen. There's a tournament arc this season, that didn't feel like a bullshit slog to watch. As a recovered superhero comic fan, MHA has always scratched that spandex itch for me while reminding me that capeshit can still be, uh, Good.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

70 voters so far, 1 show is the clear frontrunner, but all the rest of the rankings are still up for grabs.

There are lots of invalid votes too. Please make a new post to make a correction if desired, as opposed to editing your original, tia.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

1. ACCA - Out of everything I watched this year, ACCA is the only show I feel perfectly content with. Studio Pablo's stellar background work made this world (or rather its many individual, smaller worlds) distinct and beautiful as the show treated me to a strangely relaxed travelogue for a show ostensibly about a coup. The character design work was also excellent, adapting Ono's original designs handily while giving them a bit more variety and also life through use of color. I loved that food was such a central focus as a representation of both culture and history. Characters whether complicated (Nino, Grossular) or petty/shallow (Schwan, Rail) were all a delight to follow, and I really enjoyed the sort of mythologizing of the second princess' disappearance. To cap it all off, the show had an excellent OST that never felt particularly overbearing or misused, even when using a vocal insert song during Nino and Jean's flashback.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - Honestly this one just fell from top spot because I really disliked the implications of the tail end, and wonder why they had to be included at all. Otherwise this was an excellent conclusion to the series and honestly the better of the two halves for me.

3. Land of the Lustrous - Lustrous was the only show I followed so closely that I was watching episodes the day they aired with no exceptions. It turned me on to reading the manga early on, and I grew to love the characters and be deeply intrigued by the world they live in and how their actions might change it. The anime was an absolute masterwork of CG anime both for when it indulged in full CG and when it blended CG and 2D. The backgrounds and use of color (a gem's hue falling over "their" scenes) brought new depth to the world, sharply defining the often sparse environments of the manga. Similarly, the well-placed OST and excellent VA performances elevate the action on screen and fill the characters with a life that I don't feel was as present in the manga. My main detraction would be preferring the stronger androgyny of the manga's artstyle, and the few scenes where I feel their surreal nature was enhanced by the almost void-like quality of the manga backgrounds.

4. Made in Abyss - I came to Abyss as someone having already read the manga (in preparation for the anime, really), so the beginning felt a bit slower than I would like and some scenes (Ozen vs Reg) lacked significant impact in comparison. Outside of those complaints, Abyss hit every note with amazing backgrounds, music/VA, and Kou Yoshinari's unsettling monster animation. Some format decisions like stopping for an original episode following Riko and a double-length finale worked even more in the show's favor for me, and get points for modifying the source to better create a narrative.

5. Heybot! - There were plenty of other shows that may be better crafted from even a slightly objective standpoint, but Heybot (like the runners-up below) was a show that really clicked with me. Animegataris is getting attention this season for its consistent metacommentary, but Heybot spent an entire year engaging in similar subjects while also slowly turning what it initially presented as throwaway nonsense into recurring characters and details central to the plot. The show's constant playfulness with anime tropes, its status as a toy tie-in, the various ways it toed the line of appropriateness, and its relationship to its viewers culminated in a climax that was incisive against children's entertainment while going out on a touching note of appreciation for fans and the powers of fandom. Heybot was really more of an experience, and one I was glad to have.

Runners Up

Time Bokan 24 - Like Heybot, this was another show that really resonated with me and for similar reasons. As a revival of the Time Bokan franchise, it takes the classic formula but brings a sensibility that comments on the expectations and history of past entries, and also directly addresses the audience in as much of a real-time basis as a traditional anime production could. Sourcing humor from corruptions of history also allowed for a breadth of gags that were enriched by knowing history trivia, while also having educational accuracy unexpected for a show that was on it's face irreverent. This is even more notable given the currently airing season's shift to a rote trivia show approach that blatantly states facts.

Laughing Salesman NEW - I'm just gonna steal my own tiny spiel for this show, that I posted when it finished earlier this year: "It was a rare show that was so obviously aimed at an older audience and dealt with the social pressures and issues that come with age, employment, and family, while keeping a sense of humor. The visual style stood out when compared to most modern anime, and beyond that uniqueness it was just very solid and had the proper cartoony-ness to complement the show's tone."

Magical Circle Guru Guru - This was an adorable sorta-rom-com with some impressive animation. I enjoyed the light-hearted skewering of JRPG tropes, even if some jokes were a bit played out. Between that, the hyperactivity, and some of the crassness, it really did evoke a feeling of 90's anime that I enjoyed going back to.

Children of the Whales - I was skeptical about this show for far too long, but when it so readily bucked my expectations in the first third it really started to grow on me. Despite being an adaptation of ongoing manga, this show built an intriguingly odd world with a hint of mystery that is satisfyingly "solved" by the end. The sketchbook and watercolor style of the backgrounds is beautiful, as are the designs of the strange psychic mollusc-gods central to the plot. The show lacks a particularly strong central character, but the early focus on the Mud Whale as a society and later characters like Ouni and Lykos' brother step out to carry the story well on their own.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

i mean keep in mind stuff like hnk with post-apocalyptic gory head explosions is what made jump popular to begin with. plus by the time the chimera ant arc started jump's readership was already 40% adults.
Oh, absolutely. The thing that I feel differentiates HxH is that, while there are similar hellish landscapes/situations to HNK (Meteor City and the dark continent come to mind), it feels a lot more ambiguous and, subsequently, bleaker.

Like a friend that likes a lot of Old-school Jump and started watching HxH this year said after watching the whole series that he found it weird that he kept coming back to old characters when watching Gon and Kurapika and the decisions they made.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HnK is bleak and a ton of people die but Kenshiro and co are always the good guys, in contrast everyone in HxH is an rear end in a top hat likely to murder you as soon as look at you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

HnK is bleak and a ton of people die but Kenshiro and co are always the good guys, in contrast everyone in HxH is an rear end in a top hat likely to murder you as soon as look at you.
leorio has done literally nothing wrong, ever, in his entire life

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay maybe not him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cast of hunter x hunter won't murder you unless they're really angry and confused and think you might try to murder them and it would be strategically smarter to kill you first

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I didn't watch a lot of stuff this year so my selection pool is kinda small.

Girls' Last Tour: An excellent adaption. A bittersweet, poignant story about two people traveling through the ruins of dying world.

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: A burnt out office worker finds happiness. Kyoani did a great job with the adaption and with smoothing over some of the author's predilections.

New Game!!: Continuation of the previous series with more character development.

Kemono Friends: You all know why.

ID-0: Felt like it was largely overlooked due to being A) CGI and B) gated by Netflix. Ultimately it was a well put together science fiction series (having the Planetes director probably helped a lot) that got somewhat rushed near the end and had a real couple of :wtc: episodes that rival some scifi novels I've read where everything got weird in the final act.

Honorable mentions:

Gabriel Dropout: The Azumanga/Nichijou/Yuyushiki "wacky girls doing wacky things" show of the year, though not quite on the same level of quality.

Tsurezure Children: All those tiresome romantic comedies that spend 11 episodes going nowhere, distilled down to a few minutes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Colonel posted:

the cast of hunter x hunter won't murder you unless they're really angry and confused and think you might try to murder them and it would be strategically smarter to kill you first

Or you really, really piss Gon off.

Or are near someone who really, really pissed Gon off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

uh, or you happen to be walking nearby killua while he's in a bad mood

• Locked thread