Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Who changed my avatar who changed my avatar WHO CHANGED MY AVATAR

So it's time to talk about the bad things you watched in the last year. I promise not to judge you.

The rules
Worst Anime 2017 (aka most disappointing)
1.) Pick 3 titles from the list below that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want, but the votes are unweighted (weighted votes may be counted seperately)
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

To be clear, the reason for rule 1 is to avoid everyone's lists being filled with incest animes you didn't watch. I'd much rather focus on things you tried but didn't like, and the reasons why.

Most Avoided Anime 2016

The main worst anime votes require you to have put in at least a three episode test. This is different. This is about the anime that you felt the need to avoid based on the premise, the anime that you watched one episode then turned it off in disgust. This is your wildcard vote and will go into its own competition

1.) You only get one vote in this category. Choose wisely
2.) There is no minimum watch period. You don't even have to have seen it!
3.) Put a reason why you avoided it. Generate that discussion!
4.) Once again, feel free to debate and discuss choices

This is basically your vote for whatever orv likes
code:

2018 Year-End List v1.0
100% Teacher Pascal
18if
ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
Aho Girl
Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends
Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
Akiba's Trip The Animation
Alice & Zouroku
All Out!
Altair: A Record of Battles
Angel's 3Piece!
Animegataris
Anonymous Noise
Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Arc
Armed Girls' Machiavellianism
A Sister's All You Need.
Atom: The Beginning
Attack on Titan: Lost Girls
Attack on Titan Season 2
BanG Dream!
Battle Girl High School
Beast in the Skirt
Berserk 2nd Season
Blend S
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
Cardfight!! Vanguard G: Next
Centaur's Worries
Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas
Chaos;Child
Chii's Sweet Adventure
Children of the Whales
Chiruran 1/2
Chronos Ruler
Cinderella Girls Gekijou
Classicaloid
Classroom of the Elite
Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun
Clione no Akari
Clockwork Planet
Code:Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~
Convenience Store Boyfriends
Danmachi: Sword Oratoria
Dia Horizon
Dies Irae
Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters
Dive!!
Dream Festival! R
Dynamic Chord
eiDLIVE
Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
Eromanga-sensei
Evil or Live
Fastest Finger First
Fate/Apocrypha
Fireball Humorous
Forest Fairy Five
Frame Arms Girl
Future Card Buddyfight Triple D
Fuuka
Gabriel Dropout
Gamers!
Gintama.
Gintama.: Porori-hen
Girls' Last Tour
Glamorous Heroes
Granblue Fantasy The Animation
Grimoire of Zero
Gundam Build Fighters: Battlogue
Hand Shakers
Hell Girl: Fourth Twilight
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Hinako Note
Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic
Hitorijime My Hero
How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend .flat
Hozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season
ID-0
Idol Incidents
IDOLiSH7
Ikemen Sengoku: Bromances Across Time
In Another World With My Smartphone
Infini-T Force
Interviews with Monster Girls
Inuyashiki
Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor
Just Because!
Juuni Taisen: Zodiac Wars
Kabuki-bu!
KADO: The Right Answer
Kaito x Ansa
Kakegurui
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Kemono Friends
Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys
King's Game The Animation
Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series
Kirakira Precure A La Mode
Knight's & Magic
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Konohana Kitan
KonoSuba 2
Kyoukai no Rinne 3rd Season
Land of the Lustruous
Laughing Salesman NEW
Little Witch Academia
Long Riders!
Love and Lies
Love Is Like A Cocktail
Love Kome: We Love Rice
Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season
Love Tyrant
Made in Abyss
Magical Circle Guru Guru
Makeruna!! Aku no Gundan!
March Comes In Like A Lion S1
Marginal #4 The Animation
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Minami Kamakura High School Girls' Cycling Club
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Mobile Suit Gundam: Twilight Axis
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd Season
Monster Strike The Anime 2nd Season
My First Girlfriend is a Gal
My Girlfriend is Shobitch
My Hero Academia Season 2
Natsume's Book of Friends Season 6
Netsuzou TRap
New Game!!
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master
Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat
Nyanbo!
Nyanko Days
Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyoki na, Mondaiji.
One Room
Onihei
Our Love Has Always Been 10 Centimeters Apart.
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Piacevole: My Italian Cooking
Pikotarou's Lullaby La La Bye
Please Take My Brother Away
Princess Principal
PriPara
PriPri Chii-chan!!
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Re:Creators
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Reikenzan: Eichi e no Shikaku
Restaurant to Another World
Rewrite 2nd Season
RoboMasters the Animated Series
Room Mate
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Sagrada Reset
Saiyuuki Reload Blast
Sakura Quest
Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel
Scum's Wish
Seiren
Sengokuchojugiga
Sengoku Night Blood
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ
Seven Mortal Sins
Shonen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
Souryo to Majiwaru Shikiyoku no Yoru ni...
Starmyu 2nd Season
SukaSuka
Super Lovers 2
Taisho Mebiusline: Chicchai-san
Tales of Zestiria the X
Teekyuu 9
The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star
The Eccentric Family 2
The iDOLM@STER SideM
The Reflection
The Royal Tutor
The Silver Guardian
The World YAMIZUKAN
Tiger Mask W
Time Bokan 24
Tomica Hyper Rescue Drive Head: Mobile Emergency Police
Trickster
Tsugumomo
Tsuki ga Kirei
Tsukipro The Animation
Tsurezure Children
Twin Angel Break
Twin Star Exorcists
Two Car
UQ Holder
Urahara
Urara Meirochou
Vatican Miracle Examiner
Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou
Welcome to the Ballroom
Yamishibai 4th Season
Yamishibai 5th Season
Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation
YuGiOh Arc-V
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Hero Chapter
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Disappointing Anime:

Animegataris - the last ep was kind of a mess in a way that didn't feel like a meta gag or anything, just bad. The last two eps had barely any of the gang just talking about anime, which was my favorite part of the show. I had lots of goodwill going into the last ep from the well done meta stuff in 11, but it pissed away most of it.

Kakegurui - another anime that I thought was amazing until the last ep, this was worse because I liked the material that the manga had for this that they ended up getting rid of. This game in the manga explored one of the student council girl's backstory and why she was such a fanatic for the president. The anime gets rid of that so she's just a background character and promotes the sidekick guy and now Yumeko is suddenly horny for him.

Black Clover - the insanely slow pacing for a manga that's really good about being snappy is dumb. It's an okay anime for when i want to watch a couple eps and skip through them for the good stuff that i know is there but i shouldn't have to do that. Like seriously the second ep covers probably 6 panels from the manga to do backstory that anyone with a functioning brain was going to pick up on

Avoided

Super Lovers - jfc

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

1. Seikaisuru Kado: this has the worst ending in anime since rokka. im going to spoil it. so this is a show about negotiating with a non hostile alien. turns out, hes hostile. how do we beat him? well, turns out one of the women in the negotiation team was also secretly an alien. so the mc fucks her, throws the baby and his poor best friend into the fire emblem hyperbolic time chamber until they grow up, goes and futilely fights the evil alien for no loving reason, gets hosed up and then has the daughter appear to murder the evil alien. terrible.

2. Princess Principal: just like with 1, disappointment is worse than something being bad from the start. this had a rather good start, with a very smart 2nd episode. after that however, it got very dull. a bunch of standard episodic episodes introducing the cast that overexplain everything. the asian girl absolutely did not need 3 different episodes dedicated to her that brought no new information. there was no need for a whole episode dedicated to a prince and the pauper replay after they already told the story twice. most of the other episodes also came from the great book of standard episodic storytelling. at least the fighting looked good. finally it ends with an overtly safe made from smartphone game expanded universe ending

3. Kimi no Koe wo Todoketai: i doubt anyone else has seen this. well don't. i paid good money to see this terrible movie in the theater. that was 2 hours of my time wasted. the cast is way too big, with most of them barely having a role in the movie and a fair amount just showing up to do 1 thing, after that hiding in the background. the name feels like bait to draw the silent voice/your name audience. the writing is just awful, with a large amount of the movie taken up by voiceless scenes of the characters interacting while awful background music plays, which has to substitute for actual character development, or the illusion of these girls growing closer together. the animation was bad as well. finally to add insult to injury, the company send a broken print to the theater, so it constantly had a timer on the screen and played a buzzing sound during the whole movie.

4. Tsuki ga Kirei: once again disappointment. let's start this one of by saying it is a hideous show. awful shadows, terrible cgi people and characters. that however i can live through, and i did at first because of the charming realistic writing. however they seem to have gotten confused later on, and apparently think realistic means you have to do the same uninspired plot beats i have seen in a thousand live action asian romcoms. nothing new to offer for anyone unless you have never seen anything from asia that isn't anime. just go watch the korean classics instead.

5. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2: the worst thing a comedy can do is just run the same jokes into the ground. season 1 had decent jokes. season 2 repeats these same jokes endlessly. there's other airing shows guilty of this...

6. Hungry Days: i spit on the creators of this, their vile corruption of classic anime and their cup noodles

7. Re:Creators: i forgot about this till i saw it in the list but im just going to say i told you so

8. Seiren : miserable cuckolding fetish anime

9. Shoukoku no Altair: even worse than altair, loving birds are not an answer for life's problems

10. Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?: this show ripped off classic comic 'the losers'

most avoided: i watch the first episode of (almost) everything. fairness rules

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

6. Hungry Days: i spit on the creators of this, their vile corruption of classic anime and their cup noodles

lol

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Attack on Titan s2 was completely terrible and its pacing was atrocious and I will kill Srice for getting me to watch it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dav most avoided is just the worst anime that you didn't give a 3 ep test to

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Avoided: One Room
Actually I watched one or two episodes, and it was the most creepy thing I've ever seen. First person camera leering at girls: The anime.

Bad: eiDLIVE
Generic shounen junk, I thought it looked somewhat interesting at first, but everything just turned into generic poo poo.

Bad: KADO
Really cool and interesting beginning, and it completely breaks down halfway and has the worst deus-ex-machina ending imaginable. See above.

Bad: Urara Meirochou
I didn't know CGDCT could be this bad, but it was just unfunny and annoying characters.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
1. Re:Creators: An interesting premise that could've gone somewhere really cool... but didn't. At all. This is the kind of lethargic, languidly introspective, tediously self-serious writing I should've expected from Rei "El Baile de la Muerte" Hiroe
2. Juuni Taisen: The first episode suckered me in with it's lavishly produced action shenanigans and then the rest of the show was just as stupid but markedly more ugly. I want the time I wasted waiting for it to look good again back!
3. Fate/Apocrypha: This show is kind of the opposite of 12 Taisen in that it saves it's fanciest animation tricks for the very end. But instead of luring me in the promise of fancy production values, I got suckered in thinking that the best saber Mode Red and her cool necromancer buddy were going to be primary characters, but instead we get the most boring homunclus of all time, the most boring saint of all time (acting like an awkward schoolgirl with a crush, because it wasn't stupid enough when King Arthur did that poo poo), and a version of Jack the Ripper who was concieved by people who thought the best addition one could add to one of history's most infamous serial killers is making them masturbatory material for pedophiles

that being said the animation in the last few episodes was p. on point so I don't hate it as much as the other 2

Most Avoided:: Eromanga-sensei. Hey y'know what'd make me avoid Oreimo even harder? If the sister was 12

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Most Avoided:: Eromanga-sensei. Hey y'know what'd make me avoid Oreimo even harder? If the sister was 12

I will let you know that I watched both imouto LN-author shows this year (the other being ImoSae/A Sister's All I Need) and thoroughly enjoyed both. Initially Eromanga-sensei was stronger, but ImoSae did win me over as it progressed, probably due to the older cast. The Eromanga-sensei sister, Sagiri, is fun as a character, but in retrospect not someone I'd want to know in real life.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Berserk - I watched every episode and hated nearly all of it. The animation is so cheap. This is one of those shows that is so stylized and that art is entirely lost in the art style of the anime.
Classicaloid - This should be a masterpiece. Its got a lot of funny stuff. The characters are mostly reincarnated classical composters who live in a house together and do music Magik. It really goes nowhere. There isn't any character development or plot development, at least for the first 6-7 episodes.
King's Game - I thought this would evolve into something interesting. The gimmick is that everyone in a class gets text messages ordering them to do things, and they have to do them under penalty of a grisly death. There are never any interesting orders and nothing anyone does ever makes any sense.

My First Girlfriend is a Gal - This just seems fanservicey but without any intent to be ironic or funny.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Disappointing:

Centaur's Worries
Maybe it just worked better in manga format? The anime felt strangely low budget and unfocused as it floated from one vignette to another.

Re:Creators
The concept sounded cool. I didn't expect it to be chuuni bait. Probably should've looked at more promo art first!

UQ Holder
Why, why, why can't Akamatsu ever get a good anime adaptation? Even when he drop the harem stuff for an explicitly combat-oriented shonen series he gets the cheapest looking show on earth.

Avoided:

A Sister Is All You Need
I mean, look at the title.
Apparently it's fairly self-aware and about a bunch of writers just trying to make it in the cutthroat world of garbage light novels, though? I saw a webm where an accountant tries to convince the MC to report his anime figures as work expenses to pay less taxes.
Can I get a confirm/deny on the wokeness of this anim???

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've read the manga and I can confirm he did not drop the harems

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

HellCopter posted:

Even when he drop the harem stuff for an explicitly combat-oriented shonen series

lol.

people get so mad about Akamatsu anime being adaptions of the source material and not the imaginary story they made in their heads by ignoring 80% of what happens

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Avoided:

A Sister Is All You Need
Apparently it's fairly self-aware and about a bunch of writers just trying to make it in the cutthroat world of garbage light novels, though? I saw a webm where an accountant tries to convince the MC to report his anime figures as work expenses to pay less taxes.

It's not actually about the MC trying to get into the skirts of little girls, although he does write light novels about it. The final episode gives an explanation for why he fantasizes about having a younger sister, it's slightly sad. Really, it's mostly a group of young adults hanging out, eating food, playing board games, drinking beer (except those under 20 yo), and visiting places. If you don't mind the fanservice (especially one of the girls being very forward, and preferring to strip naked when she's writing) it's a good SOL show.

I will defend my imouto animes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Disappointments:

1) Juuni Taisen : Zodiac Wars

I wanted to like this one, and actually watched the whole thing hoping something would come of it. Between really inconsistent animation, poor pacing, and a really lack luster story, what really killed it was the ending. According to the watch thread the light novel does a much better job of telling the story, but that doesn't really help the case here. Also: Sure, farming out individual episodes to animation houses is an industry standard, but there were just too many wild swings in quality for me to forgive. Also Also: The random 3d animated episodes really stood out badly.

The ending was very disappointing for the promise it had. The story really could have been good, the characters had plenty to work with, and the setting was cool, but it just wasn't pulled together in the end.

2) Black Clover

Shonen by numbers. Enough said.

3) Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

This one was my most disappointing and only due to the story. That is to say: What was the loving story? The first season was great, and even though it swapped around arcs from the comic, it had at least an overarching story line that the crew were working on. This season? It was just a whole series of SoL filler episodes. Sure it was nice to get some background on the other characters, but not a whole seasons worth with NOTHING else to look at.

This season isn't technically over but having a mini arc in the final few episodes doesn't make up for 9 10 weeks of random vignettes. These should have been inter-spaced with a larger plot throughout 2 seasons not fit by themselves into one. They were still fun tho.

Avoided:

Dies Irae

I really don't need any Nazi poo poo in my life.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 26, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hmmm

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I usually find disappointment more compelling to talk about than the worst, so that's what my list is focused on.

1. Atom: The Beginning - Whoever decided that classic Tezuka manga need incredibly mediocre prequels needs to be stopped. It doesn't live up to the promise it shows off in its OP, favoring a much more bland approach instead. Do yourself a favor and watch the 2003 Astro Boy instead, it's a gorgeous anime that still looks amazing today, far far better than anything Atom: The Beginning manages. Fortunately there's hope on the horizon because they're making a Pluto anime.

2. Recovery of an MMO Junkie - After a strong start it spun its wheels far too long, the cast evolved into blushing teenagers in the bodies of adults and it decided that some of its jokes were so funny they had to be repeated several times. It was ultimately a rom-com where I burned out on the rom and the com wasn't delivering once it ran out of material.

3. Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series - I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of the original series but this was a completely lifeless adaption that proved the original series' strengths were entirely due to its director, not the material.

4. Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor - It feels mean to pick on such a nothing short, but on the other hand in a year with a fair number of strong revivals of older properties, it's hard not to look at a new anime related to such a classic and wonder, why the hell did they bring back Tylor in short form. Why are the episodes all about exposition instead of doing literally anything that people loved the original Tylor for. It's a bad format for Tylor and they make the worst of the runtime they have.

5. Animegataris - Hell, I like this show for the most part but I'm siding with Erg's post on this. Those last two episodes were messy and while some of the gags in the penultimate episode landed for me, the entire finale just left me wondering why. Is it fitting that a show that literally joked about jumping the shark near the end wound up jumping the shark? Yeah, but I wish it didn't! The show was at its strongest when it was relatively grounded and focused on exploring anime fandom with a dash of some pretty solid comedic timing. Meanwhile its finale is an incredibly meta plot that's lacking in humor and isn't interesting enough on its own to carry it through. Unlike the other shows on this list I don't regret watching it, I just wanted to share my disappointment with how it all wrapped up. Until that point I got a fair amount of enjoyment out of the show.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Hey now, I've come to expect 50% lightning anime battles and 50% anime tiddy from Akamatsu. The anime versions just tend to budget for the latter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My Hero Academia season 2 is the only thing other than Berserk 2017 that I watched more than three episodes of this year that I thought was bad. I dropped this but not Berserk 2017 so I guess that makes this worse but it's probably not in any fair or reasonable metric. This was a slow disaster of pacing though. It's not really the worst anime of the year but I'd have to rate it worse than Berserk 2017 because I couldn't stand it beyond what I watched.

Berserk 2017
Because we learned that Berserk 2016 was so bad because the director was a clueless idiot who left them with like 3 months to make everything before it got to air. Berserk 2017 barely improved, was worse than 2016 in places, didn't have that excuse of only having three months and ended with a threat of more to come. This probably is the worst anime of the year.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

1. Fate/Apocrypha - It has about two dozen characters that all have the possibility of being interesting, and every one of them is misused. Probably because there is two dozen of them and you can't focus on anything. Throw in a boring MC, with a bland love interest to boot, and you got a bunch of episodes of nothing. But hey, it has Astolfo.

2. Rage of the Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Similar to above, in that it misuses what should be good characters. It sure went through a lot of hoops to keep the genociding slave-driving king as the love interest. The MC good, at first, but when the show starts to focus on her relationship with that guy it all comes tumbling down.

3. Berkserk - Oh, it just looks awful. Same as season 1. Why would you do this to Miura's art. Oh nooooooo

Avoided: Uh, Hand Sahkers, I guess. That was this year, yeah? Looked visually piss

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A Sister's All You Need was decent to good for the most part. If there's ever a second season I wouldn't actually mind watching it, even if the aforementioned pervy 18-year-old girl will NEVER EVER EVER come even close to rivaling Rika Shiguma (it's from the same author as Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai) as far as overly perverted cute girls go.

From all the anime I saw, the things I didn't end up liking were mostly out of sheer disappointment.

First off, things I avoided:

• Berserk: I love the manga and I intend to keep it that way.
  • UQ Holder: Nope! I check the manga every once in a while and still sorta like it. I intend to keep it that way.
  • Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor: I liked the original and when everyone started asking "Why?", I decided "Excellent question! Why bother?". And that's that.
  • Hand Shakers: Heard from everyone that it was a miserable failure but that at least it tried to do something different image-wise. Decided to just give it a pass.
  • Eromanga Sensei: Nope. Not bothering with this. gently caress this show.

Now, for the list:
  • Kakegurui. This was a similar situation of the Rokka no Yuusha ending. A good-to-great anime and it ended up making GBS threads the bed at the last episode really badly with that wet fart of an ending. Most episodes were fun, but that ending seriously dampened the interest I had in the manga. The biggest disappointment because, for the most part, the show was pretty good. Visuals were overall consistently great, music was loving off the hook, and while the overall pacing could've used some more air to breathe, it was ok, but the voice work was what made this show, from the veterans like Sugita, Sawashiro, and Ise to the relative newbies like Minami Tanaka and Yuki Wakai but the undeniable star of this mad show was Saori Hayami and her portrayal of the equally crazy and beautiful Yumeko Jabami. A drat shame they couldn't just do any different for the last episode.
  • King's Game. Even if I'm a sucker for Battle Royale-like settings, this was awful. Dropped after three episodes.
  • Classroom of the Elite. gently caress this show. I thought it was going to be a semi-serious take on BakaTest's inter-class warfare. Apparently, the novel actually goes to interesting places? Not sure if I actually care about finding out.
  • Juuni Taisen. As it's been said in the thread for the show: If this was half the length, episode wise, it would've been pretty solid anime. As it stands, it was too much for too little of a payoff.
  • Re:Creators. You went full meta, show. Never go full meta. Unless you're funny like Gintama

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 26, 2017

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Fate/Apocrypha: I watched up to episode 4 and dropped it. I sorta knew that would happen though. I had read parts of the light novel and I knew I didn't like it too much, but thought the anime might help things. I just didn't want to deal with the two leads who are just way too boring.

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: I finished this. I can't say it was bad, but my enjoyment of the show took a fairly sharp decline as it progressed and the jokes got worse and more repetitive. Not the savior KyoAni needed.

Yugioh Arc-V: I guess this is the only other show that qualifies? I watched up to the end of the 2nd season, didn't watch it for a while for various reasons, and ended up dropping it. I didn't like the sidelining of the main cast and then the fact that they were all brainwashed into antagonists for much of the rest of the series, and lost interest in how the plot wrapped up.

Most Avoided:
Hand Shakers: This looked legendarily bad based on the scenes I saw. It fits in the space right between 'hilarious' and 'I will never watch this show'.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HellCopter posted:

A Sister Is All You Need

Can confirm that ImoSae is a good show about working in a messed-up industry.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched shockingly little bad anime this year, and most of that was only the first ep, so this is more of a list of mediocrity.

- Re:Creators - A fun premise, but just really boring in execution. Just having the one girl exposit everything at the audience was incredibly dull, and the flashes of fun characters wasn't enough to save it. This was the only show this year that I deliberately dropped for being bad after more than one ep, rather than dropping after one or just kind of trailing off of it.

- Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 - There was cool stuff about this, but overall the season was unfocused, changed a lot of the characters for the worse, leaned hard on making GBS threads on female characters to motivate the male MCs, and it a really unsatisfying ending. A shame, 'cause I think the ending to s1 gave s2 a lot of interesting places they could have taken it. Easily the worst show I finished this year.

- Hinako Note - I like low-key CGDCT animes, but this show ias so boring that I've literally been using it as a sleep aid of last resort. As such, I've watched like 5 episodes of it in small chunks over the last several months. Only once did I manage to stay away for more than 10 minutes. It's actually kind of impressive, really.

Most avoided - Idol Incidents - I like my idol animes, but the first ep of this was just bad. It was ugly and boring, and nothing Polsy ever posted about it made me regret my decision.

Ugly animation award - Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou - Poor, poor animator-san. He tried, but several eps of this looked like powerpoint slides with panning. It's a shame, 'cause it's actually pretty decent otherwise, a welcome change from the lovely interseason movies.

Dishonorable mention - BanG Dream! - Nearly half of the run time of the third episode of this was devoted to our lead awkwardly singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on stage. It was horrible, and it just kept going. I dropped it after that, though I later watched most of the rest as part of the idolwatch. It never sunk to those depths again, but it was unremarkable. This after a pretty cute opening pair of eps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pedophilia power rankings

1: rorouni kenshin
2: made in abyss
3: dragon maid

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I won't say 'worst', only 'disappointing to me personally':

BanG Dream - I got 4 or so episodes into this and realized I simply didn't care about the characters. I like character driven shows, and even the music was not to my taste, so I just stopped watching.

Battle Girl High School - When in the middle of, I think it was the third episode, I realized I wasn't even trying to remember which character was which, and that I was rather bored with it, I dropped it.

Made in Abyss - before you finish the gallows with which to hang me, I know this show had fantastic animation, a good story, interesting characters and a fascinating world. But somewhere in episode 2 the warning robot in my head was screaming "Danger Will Robinson!" and I figured these interesting child characters were being set up for terrible things to happen to them, and I just stopped right there. For personal reasons, I just can't watch that kind of stuff, so I didn't. From what random notes about the show I've seen on the net, my decision was probably the right one for me.

Avoided:

Welcome to the Ballroom - whatever the target demographic is for this show, I am not in it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought this was going to be really hard, but the moment i would think of a show all the feeling just rushed out of me

1. KADO - this had the most wasted potential of a premise and beginning that i have ever had the displeasure to see. dav spoiled how utterly stupid the ending is upthread, but jesus christ it's like an ending to a completely different series and just shits all over any sense that the series was going to meaningfully explore the ideas being mulled around in the first half. this is also after it had a pre-air OVA just covering the mundane negotiation skills of the MC, which was oddly compelling and felt like it was going to give me a taste of what the main series would be. how completely wrong i was. the ending being poo poo made me retroactively hate the cg which was already unremarkable, and the dumbass alien guy has the same design as f/go merlin so i have to see a carbon copy of him all over the internet and be reminded of this awful show.

2. Kings Game The Animation - now, unlike 95% of other people i do not hate this show and actually find joy and entertainment in its stupid gorefest. however, there were definitely lulls in the show where there wasn't enough stupidity or gore on screen to justify watching a badly animated and written piece of media, and this culminated in all the momentum of the show dying at the end, up to just not finishing the show and leaving on a to be continued note. i didn't expect a good ending, but i'm disappointed that it couldn't even deliver an entertaining one.

3. Juni Taisen: Zodiac Wars - i loved reading the novel of this, which i only even did because the first three episodes of the anime were so strong. for a while i was incredibly into following the anime and manga adaptations, measuring them against the novel and seeing places where they excelled or stumbled. well, about halfway in this show had a series of stumbles so significant it was never fully able to recover, and it was truly sad to see. not only had i lost the enjoyment of watching it, i was seeing almost the entire fan following of the show turn on it for the shoddy production quality and laborious pacing. the anime's early strengths of fleshing out character backstories quickly became a weakness as they struggled to make characters interesting. instead, they created entire episodes of dull flashback that were not even a fraction as interesting or endearing as the standard single page bios in the novel. maybe the worst part of all of this is the poor reception of the anime has me worried about any chances of the sequel novel being translated, fan or otherwise.

Most Avoided: Beast in the Skirt - i braved the premise of this but it was really just softcore porn. no thanks

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

5. ACCA I didn't particularly hate this show, but it started letting me down early on and by the midway point, I wasn't sure why I was watching at all. The focus on Jean's life and his job and sweets and all that chill poo poo never made compelling bedfollows w the neutered political intrigue stuff, and whenever that side of the narrative tries to assert itself, it only highlights the total non-stakes of the situation to a cartoonish extent. It just never came together.
4. Inuyashiki Came to such an intriguing start only to quickly nosedive in production value, plotting and thematic coherence. That one-dimensional, childish sociopath Hiro still somehow had more dimension than the supposedly inspiring Ichiro says it all, really. You could have taken this wild story in so many different directions, but the author ultimately falls to his worst, most manipulative instincts.
3. Dynamic Chord lol those poor poor animators.
2. Hand Shakers Never show this to Hayao Miyazaki or dude's head might explode.
1. King's Game Least it's fun to hatewatch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pootybutt posted:

2. Hand Shakers Never show this to Hayao Miyazaki or dude's head might explode.

i have a plan

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Didn't watch that much poo poo anime this year, but I did watch enough to have an entry.

Re:Creators.

So much potential. So much wasted. Where the show could have gone in for action, philosophical discussion, or character development, instead it decided to go all in on dull exposition. Characters who seemed potentially interesting died or got sidelined so we could have more from the dull protagonist, philosophically empty godmoding villain, and the exposition machine.

Almost every fight ended without accomplishing anything, almost every conversation was about the plot rather than building the cast, and the characters seldom got anywhere.

What a waste of everyone's time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I realized I do have a show to talk about for this thread.

Elegant Youkai Apartment Life is a messy show, where the tone often swings from terrible things happening to good people to wacky antics at the drop of a hat. But moreover, Youkai Apartment is hateful in its philosophy. Though at a first glance, Youkai Apartment looks like another Natsume clone about helping people with their problems, it is emphatically its polar opposite. Anyone rude or antagonistic in the show is treated by the main cast as people to avoid at all costs. Any justification or explanation for their behavior is perfunctory at best if one is even given at all. The protagonist often comes across as a self-righteous dick, but with the show always framing him in the right, it appears more as clumsy characterization instead of a legitimate character flaw. I hear people often bring up the series often falls into the author’s soapbox lectures about kids these days, but it’s worse than that. Youkai Apartment is fundamentally selfish at its core, and that casts a large shadow over anything redeeming about the series.

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013
Hand Shakers
Made me physically ill to watch the first episode, and once it slowed down it grossed me out in other ways.

Hinako Note
A presumably chill slice of life show that was crushed under the weight of extremely jarring and out of place horniness that never went away.

Kado
Shifted gears to stupid anime bullshit halfway through, pissing off the only audience who would have sat through the hard sci fi of the first half. Ending is just the worst. I thought the weird 3D animation was going to be the topic of discussion for Kado but nobody could have predicted those twists would be so terrible.

So lovely it's not even on the list - 6HeartsPrincess
Started as a goof on Heartcatch PreCure, changed hands a few times, aired on tv half-finished and with a public apology at the start of the year. Signs point to 6HP having continued with two more episodes but there's no way to watch it, which is a blessing since it's maybe the single worst thing i've seen in my entire life. Might at one point have been a magical girl parody but has since turned into pedophile garbage that was buried deep for a reason.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Here's another post confirming that Imouto sae ireba ii is actually a good anime that does not belong in this thread.

As for the most disappointing series, my pick would be Kado, ID-0 and Animegataris. The problem with all 3 was, that they started off really promising but then the ending was just so bad, that it ruined the series for me.
I'm especially sad the first two turned out to be bad, because while I've mostly avoided full 3DCG shows before, these two actually did it kinda well (Kado with its crazy visual effects, while ID-0 profited a lot from the fact that most of the cast where robots and most scenes taking place in zero gravity, making floaty movements not feel out of place).

Dishonorable mention: Juuni Taisen. Could have been good as a movie or a series of OVA episodes, but trying to stretch it out to 12 episodes just didn't work.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i thought i'd put akiba's trip on this list but i can't really think to describe why i was repulsed by it when i liked the game so instead i'll put the show i was really disappointed in

Re:Creators: i thought the first few episodes having exposition were going to build into something and then while i was waiting to hear if it got better all i heard was that they killed off a gay magical girl

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I guess I'm the only one who liked the ending of Anime-gataris. I don't think it was as strong as it could have been, but it still made me smile. I do think it was a mistake to completely drop the Gataris part of Anime-Gataris, though.

Avoided:
- Black Clover: it just seems so boring
- Girlfriend is a Gal: I'm not against fanservicey shows if they deliver on another axis, but everything I've heard is that this is just honest-to-god cruelty and and misogyny top to bottom. Gross.
- Eromanga-Sensei: Pedo-Incest... Bad? :thunk:

Worst:
- Fate / Apocrypha: What a boring mess. Even the action scenes were disappointing - there was no sense of movement or place. Only Astolfo, Mordred, and necromancer guy were remotely interesting, and I can't even remember necromancer dude's name because he had no screen time in the seven episodes I watched.

- Rage of Bahamut - Virgin Soul: DON'T KISS HITLER JUST BECAUSE HE'S A GOOD DANCER. A gorgeous show with a charming cast of characters written straight off a cliff. gently caress. I'm still kind of mad.

- Blend-S: this isnt really "worst" - Blend-S is fine. It's exactly the level of tepid that keeps you watching because you can see the glimmer of a good idea, even though it never delivers. I have no idea how the show was able to create two characters with actual romantic chemistry, and then completely sideline them in favor of a Dino-Maika "romance" that is at best bland and at worst intensely creepy. It says a lot about a show when it would be improved by removing it's main characters.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 27, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Davincie posted:

8. Seiren : miserable cuckolding fetish anime

Wait, I'm pretty sure I watched this, but don't remember it well because of how forgettable it was, but I don't think this was the cuckold anime, are you sure you didn't mean Scum's Wish or something? (fake edit: or even the show literally called NtR?)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anaconda when you count these please only take the first 3 things off davs list of regrets

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Namtab posted:

Anaconda when you count these please only take the first 3 things off davs list of regrets

As a man who loves data and statistics almost as much as anime, I will of course be following this procedure.

And as the creator of your last av I'm happy it got so much mileage, and the new one is quite swell, no hard feelings :shobon:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Wait, I'm pretty sure I watched this, but don't remember it well because of how forgettable it was, but I don't think this was the cuckold anime, are you sure you didn't mean Scum's Wish or something? (fake edit: or even the show literally called NtR?)

yes, first arc. i dropped it halfway through the 2nd arc cause it was so dull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Bad:
Re:Creators - I wanted to like this, and there are a few characters I like, but overall it's just such an underwhelming show. Why was there so much exposition. Why was so much of the exposition repeated. The world may never know.
Welcome to the Ballroom - I dropped this around episode 6 I think, and I hear that it does get some good animation later, but for a show about dancing, taking that long is a deal breaker.
Fate/Apocrypha - Sieg is the worst and actively ruins things.

Avoided:
Eromanga-sensei - Yeah I'm not watching the pedo incest anime.

• Locked thread