Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Asehujiko posted:

Does anything ever come from that? Even if just the ending text?

I think, as with the French supplies, it’s left unspoken and for you to make your own measure of whether you can live with your actions. But given that the Winterhome scenario has the generator fall apart because it wasn’t put together right I think you can safely assume what your responsibility is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Trivia posted:

Jesus Last Autumn continually kicks my rear end. I am bad at this game.

The devs to a superb job of keeping you in that state of ever-uncomfortable. Juuuuust when you think you've got a handle, something shits up the works.

Something that will probably make your game a lot easier and isn't intuitive.

You can build multiple docks, you need to build at least two. Those docks can be upgraded, when they get upgraded they start producing 2 piles of resources each. Each of those piles can and should, have a steam-crane built on them. When I figured that out, I never ran out of Steel again. I ran my first dock as wood. Second dock as steel, then switched my wood dock to coal and made two fisherman's docks. I only built a single Advanced Steam-crane, I'm not sure you need the advanced steam cranes at all though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

They both become twisted if you go far enough, but instead of becoming fascists you slide into creating a "flay the non-believers" theocracy that culminates with you declaring yourself god-king

It's really good flavor, all told, as it's like...do you just say gently caress it, go for the mechanical advantage? Do you try to go for the one that's less bad? They both get oppressive and lovely as you go down the path but you can also just go for the basic stuff from the one you pick and stop. Even then though, do you push on because the bonuses are useful and will help you not die or do you take the moral high ground?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

This time I went religion and didn't even get faith keepers - still said I crossed a line though. :argh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Asehujiko posted:

Does anything ever come from that? Even if just the ending text?

The achievement for getting it is "It Was Me All Along", which is about as direct about what's going on as they're willing to go I guess

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Something that will probably make your game a lot easier and isn't intuitive.

You can build multiple docks, you need to build at least two. Those docks can be upgraded, when they get upgraded they start producing 2 piles of resources each. Each of those piles can and should, have a steam-crane built on them. When I figured that out, I never ran out of Steel again. I ran my first dock as wood. Second dock as steel, then switched my wood dock to coal and made two fisherman's docks. I only built a single Advanced Steam-crane, I'm not sure you need the advanced steam cranes at all though.

a non upgraded dock still works hard enough that a single upgraded crane will never empty it, that was enough to always keep me topped up for steel

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So I bought the DLC, and now any time I try to play the game (DLC or not), within a few minutes the screen goes black, the audio cuts out, and the keyboard/mouse lock up. I see people on Steam complaining about similar issues, but no one seems to have a fix. Anyone here run into this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jedi425 posted:

So I bought the DLC, and now any time I try to play the game (DLC or not), within a few minutes the screen goes black, the audio cuts out, and the keyboard/mouse lock up. I see people on Steam complaining about similar issues, but no one seems to have a fix. Anyone here run into this?

sounds like you were one of the other work sites

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
Got this game, played a new home.

Stockpiled a giant pile of coal in preparation for the storm, then one of the events had 3000+ coal stolen by a citizen.

Considering a pile of, like, 600 is the same size as a building, I wasn't even mad, I was just impressed by whoever managed to steal and hide enough coal to build a house out of it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DJPON3Vinyl posted:

Got this game, played a new home.

Stockpiled a giant pile of coal in preparation for the storm, then one of the events had 3000+ coal stolen by a citizen.

Considering a pile of, like, 600 is the same size as a building, I wasn't even mad, I was just impressed by whoever managed to steal and hide enough coal to build a house out of it.

Obviously you let capitalism run rampant if one person could have 3000 coal. :crossarms:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I researched everything and didn’t get an achievement. There was some dilemma and some weirdos freaked out about stealing lumber so I let them take like 2000 lumber for whatever purpose, knowing I already built everything. The final couple days was just me sitting there having won, not really a big deal.

The worst part is that people stop going to get food when it’s cold as gently caress, even though the entire city was sitting around jobless while my robots did all the work. Like, grab an extra food I guess.

Achievement hunting is fun, but it’s odd there’s no research everything achievement :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

I researched everything and didn’t get an achievement. There was some dilemma and some weirdos freaked out about stealing lumber so I let them take like 2000 lumber for whatever purpose, knowing I already built everything. The final couple days was just me sitting there having won, not really a big deal.

The worst part is that people stop going to get food when it’s cold as gently caress, even though the entire city was sitting around jobless while my robots did all the work. Like, grab an extra food I guess.

Achievement hunting is fun, but it’s odd there’s no research everything achievement :(

They stop going to get food because your cookhouses are all unstaffed, presumably because the workers all got sick or the cookhouse itself is too cold to operate.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

He's probably talking about raw food.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

jokes posted:

They stopped going to get raw food for you to process because it's cold enough to start freezing oxygen out of the air outside.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but they don’t eat cooked meals.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

Yeah but they don’t eat cooked meals.

See my post. For whatever reason the cookhouse has to be manned and warm-enough to operate and during the end-game so many people can get sick that you may have technically-unstaffed cookhouses. You can tell whether it's one or the other by looking at the temperature (check for the too-cold icon) or the efficiency (if it's 0% then no one is working)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Keep in mind you can assign your automatons to the cookhouse too. I don't remember if that's something you have to research.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Just played through Last Autumn twice, once siding with the workers and once with the engineers. Some quick observations:

* If you've played the regular scenarios, your first instinct on seeing the "Hearty meal vs Gruel" law choice will probably be "wtf is wrong with you we'll never have enough food for that bullshit it's gruel all the way!!". This is wrong. Go with Hearty Meal. You'll eventually have more than enough food, and the motivation bonus is really nice. Also, I ran into a bug where, once people had been eating gruel for a few days they complain and want me to provide decent food. I agree, only to see that I have three days to supply everyone with a Hearty Meal. Yeah, so, the reason I'm in this mess is becaue I choose the other law...

* 24 hour shifts are better than extended shifts, especially once you take the law that halves the night shift crew.

* Docks are good, get them up early. I ran three docks and one fishery on each playthrough. Also, I only realised towards the end of my last playthrough that each upgrade to a dock lets you place an extra reloading station on them.

I think that the Labour laws are a much more interesting split than the Purpouse laws. Siding with the workers will give you a whole bunch of stuff to negate strikes and help with motivation, siding with the engineers gives you stuff to improve safety and work efficiency - both useful and both mutually exclusive. However, I felt that going with the engineers forced you down towards the extreme laws in a way the workers didn't. In order to handle the motivation loss and strikes you more or less have to go with strike breakers and ultimately penal labour. Once you're there, the Panopticon paired with the ability to arrest more workers to turn into convicts just makes sense.

On my first playthrough, I had neglected coal and food production somewhat because hey, it's a balmy +10C out and we're literally hauling fish out of the sea. Then oops, the temperature starts dropping, the sea freezes and the foragers run out of animals to hunt. I was facing the last week with 4 days worth of coal and food. By the end everyone was starving and sick, but we made it. To be honest, I was disappointed when the rescue ships showed up. I was looking forward to an ending where the last survivor from the generator construction watches the refugees from Liverpool approaching across the frozen hellscape.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

limp_cheese posted:

Keep in mind you can assign your automatons to the cookhouse too. I don't remember if that's something you have to research.

mmmm boltmeal hot off the stove

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I think that the Labour laws are a much more interesting split than the Purpouse laws. Siding with the workers will give you a whole bunch of stuff to negate strikes and help with motivation, siding with the engineers gives you stuff to improve safety and work efficiency - both useful and both mutually exclusive. However, I felt that going with the engineers forced you down towards the extreme laws in a way the workers didn't. In order to handle the motivation loss and strikes you more or less have to go with strike breakers and ultimately penal labour. Once you're there, the Panopticon paired with the ability to arrest more workers to turn into convicts just makes sense.
the workers win outright just because their buttons are mostly actually good and not almost all mixed bags. the engineers make sense for a low/no law run because the safety bump from the inspectorate is very, very powerful compared to the union's base form. the difference being that the worker tree gives you other things you want to do and use to keep things humming along, while the engineer tree pushes you closer and closer to the edge and demands some fundamental reorderings of your camp right when you're supposed to be working the hardest.

sure, i can spend a lot of resources building convict housing and guarding convicts and importing convicts, or i could just hit a button that actually motivates instead of fake-motivates people and loving get back to work.

i feel like if you were expected to go to the failed sites and get THEIR generators up as well then the engineers would make a lot more sense. you could travel lighter and work more efficiently with convicts, and you could build the secondary bases the way you needed to rather than tearing down tents and reordering things around cell blocks halfway through the job. but as it stands it's like "hey, you have this camp that kind of works, you want to tear everything up by the roots and do something different?" and i'm all "MOTHERFUCKER I NEED ANOTHER 35 STEAM EXCHANGERS STOP BOTHERING ME"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
but panopticon is just so cool

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Is it a thing that if you have an extended shift at a place, the workers there will never eat because they only eat when the cookhouse is open?

I had a thing where I was consistently having people reporting as hungry but had loads of food. Only way to fix it was to turn off extended shifts for a while. I couldn't even fix it by having the cookhouse open on extended shift because then both places shut at the same time and the workers still don't eat. :shrug:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I've never experienced that. As far as I can tell, workers go to the cook house to eat whenever they have opportunity, regardless of whether it is active.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I do get larger clusters of hungry people more often with extended shifts, but I assumed that was just because I'm making them work longer hours; people don't grab food during working hours so there's a greater buildup of hunger throughout the day, and there's only so many seats that can be filled before it's time to go to sleep, so some workers just go home hungry. If the cookhouse has to be active to eat there then extended shift workers should basically always starve and die, which doesn't happen to me. It's like the cookhouse workers leave a bunch of soup on the counter for the late-shift workers to come grab or something.

My hunger groups never reach starving conditions so long as I keep a manned, normal-hours cookhouse with 2-3 people working it, which is all that really matters so long as you're not going for a temporary "feed everyone" goal. When I hit that goal then I trigger extended shifts on the cookhouse and everyone seems to eat

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I haven't totally figured it out but location of the cookhouse seems to matter too - I think your dudes need to physically walk there to eat, and that seems to happen less if it's further away from their work or home. Sometimes building an extra on the other side of town and putting half staffing on each seems to solve the problem for me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Workers reserve spots in buildings while they travel from point A to point B, so if nothing else a cookhouse that is very far away from everything else will have workers taking up seats for longer on average simply because it takes more time to walk there. Medical buildings have the same issue, if you put your infirmaries in some lonely corner of the map then those beds become occupied while sick workers are just navigating around the map, increasing the average time for beds to become available

This also means that having a sensible road layout is kind of important since workers don't walk through the snow unless they absolutely have to.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As Frostpunk and the Rifts DLC is on Humble Monthly this month, I thought I'd ask if any cool Goons has or wants to check over https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Frostpunk for any notable additions or changes and post them in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807

I started watching Northernlion play this on youtube and while it's not a surprise to see him struggle, he's got like 60 sick people on day 12 and I can't even figure out why. Is chilly really bad (tm) ?

Also, going to be a while until I can settle in for a proper playthrough, is there stuff early in the first campaign that I should try and keep as a surprise and stop watching over?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tylana posted:

As Frostpunk and the Rifts DLC is on Humble Monthly this month, I thought I'd ask if any cool Goons has or wants to check over https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Frostpunk for any notable additions or changes and post them in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807

I started watching Northernlion play this on youtube and while it's not a surprise to see him struggle, he's got like 60 sick people on day 12 and I can't even figure out why. Is chilly really bad (tm) ?

Also, going to be a while until I can settle in for a proper playthrough, is there stuff early in the first campaign that I should try and keep as a surprise and stop watching over?

Honestly I wouldn't agree with about a quarter of the items on that list, and some of them are just plainly wrong. "Morale" isn't even a thing (it's called Discontent and having too much of it is just as much of a loss condition as having too little Hope), and is this really suggesting that you want to put most of your engineers in workshops? Yikes. There are some fundamentally wrong things here.

Chilly isn't really bad, that's generally what I shoot for on Survivor mode; it causes some sickness risk but it's easy enough for medical infrastructure to handle Chilly homes and workplaces, so long as nothing is actually Cold. Cold workplaces carry an elevated risk of sickness and cause frostbite, which is very bad. To accumulate 60 sick people by day 12, like you have to be seriously neglecting your medical infrastructure to wind up with that many sick people that early on.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tylana posted:

I'd say go in blind. Half the fun of a first run of A New Home is the constant "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh, phew, I finally have a handle on this wait no what, oh poo poo oh poo poo"

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I'd say go in blind. Half the fun of a first run of A New Home is the constant "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh, phew, I finally have a handle on this wait no what, oh poo poo oh poo poo"

Agreed, a lot of the fun of the game to me is pausing the game, considering my options, making a plan, and then scrambling when a surprise messes it up. If you play on Medium difficulty you generally have enough margins to make a few mistakes without screwing yourself over permanently, and strategies that turn out to be sub-optimal can still work. Hard tends to be more unforgiving in that one or two big mistakes puts you in a death spiral that is hard to come out of. However, A New Home on medium is fine to go in blind and enjoy the story. This game does a really good job with atmosphere, so take the time to zoom in on things and savor the little details. One note to make is that laws cannot be undone, so consider the implications of laws down the road.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for the tips. Still a little glad I know not to build the hunter's hut next to the generator though. :D

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
"Soup isn't great" says someone who I can only presume plays on the easiest difficulty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've actually found gathering posts to be solid in the early game since you can assign more people to them than to a regular pile and they clear faster. Or has that changed?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The thing with gathering posts early game is that it's usually warm enough that you won't lose anyone to sickness having them pick by hand. And those resources you get should be put into houses, food, and a workshop.

vv: Souptime

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 11, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bogart posted:

"Soup isn't great" says someone who I can only presume plays on the easiest difficulty.

Soup and moonshine does the body good.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Is it much better or worse than Sawdust, gameplay wise?

I ended up googling the gathering posts a bit and there is the argument they scrap down for a loss of like 2 wood 1 steel. Which isn't an awful cost for freeing up workers for other stuff (and obviously use them for Thumpers.) Only build it out of shift hours of course.

But it seems like the early choices of what to build in what order are a ripe ground for constant fiddling and arguing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When it comes to the starter stacks, I used to play around with building early gathering posts but I've always been a lot more successful on the harder difficulties by rushing to Beacon, Wall Drill, Steelworks, and Steam Hub and letting people gather by hand in the meantime. It's too easy to run out of wood or steel early, after all of the stacks are gone and before you've been able to fully construct and staff the basic construction buildings. Early gathering posts just don't provide enough benefit to justify their cost

And Soup is definitely one of the better laws, it's an obvious pick. The Discontent is barely anything at all and gets cancelled out by Moonshine anyway, in exchange for what amounts to a massive reduction in food pressure

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Soup lets you stretch your food when you need it most and you can swap back to normal food if you don't need it, and allows for Moonshine down the line. I have never used sawdust because it's way grosser.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah and sawdust meals are just plain bad, it really needs to be boosted to 8 meals or something (e.g. "there's very little meat in these gym mats") to make it a potential choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Soup increases discontent, while sawdust increases sickness. You're very rarely in a position where more sick are easier to handle than more discontented.