Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
In the summer of 1886 the snowstorms began. Crops failed. People Starved. Millions fled south. They met only chaos, famine, and death.

In the farthest reaches of the resource-rich north, the British Empire began construction of heat-bearing generators, where a chosen few could survive from the chaos of crumbling civilization.

They ran out of time.

An apocalyptic ice storm came from the south, devouring all in its path. People fled in panic. Some managed to cross the seas and reach the site of a generator only to find it frozen solid.

The generator was designed to power a city capable to weather the end of the world.....

It falls to us to build it.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Welcome to my glorious city, I hope you're prepared to eat sawdust soup and put those kids to WORK!

PLATFORMS:

:pcgaming: PCMASTERRACE.JPEG :pcgaming:
And now consoles:
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/1116642207820320768

Frostpunk is released on April 24th
website | twitter | wikia

WHAT IS THIS GAME?
    Frostpunk is a city building RTS / survival game by the creators of "This War of Mine." In the Frostpunk timeline, humanity was right on the edge of developing some badass steampunk technology when the horrible specter of CLIMATE CHANGE! initiated an apocalyptic ice-age. Your job is to keep your city alive and your population hard at work making soup also alive. One of the key players in your success/ failure will be the "book of Laws" where you can set the rules and regulations for your city - as well as the decisions you make as events unfold through your game. Things such as Child Labor, adding sawdust to your soups to keep people more full, and re-opening the Mereen fighting pits are all options on the table. You will be managing your populations hope and discontent through these actions and through events which force you to make decisions. You will also be managing how goddanm cold it is around your city.

RESOURCES
  • Coal Powers your generator.

• Wood Used for building and research, great in soup.

• Steel Used for building, not great in soup.

• Raw food Delicious - especially when your people are starving and eat it and get sick from it.

• Food rations Also Delicious

• Steam Core A rare item which can only be found via exploration. Used to build advanced buildings and machinery.

PEOPLE!
  • Workers - Your weary survivors and citizens.

• Engineers - A specialized class of people, engineers can be assigned to grant a boost in production from buildings, they can also gather at a faster rate than workers.

• Children - Gather at a slower rate, depending on your choice of laws they may not be able to work in dangerous jobs or work at all.

• Tip: A human will eat 1 ration per day. Starving people eat 2 rations per day. If you have run out of rations people will eat 1 raw food per day. People eating raw food instead of processed rations are more likely to get sick.

Your city's people each have their own names, spouses, jobs, children, and homes. Each one is broken up into three general categories: Engineers, Workers, and Children. Each one of your resource gathering and other production buildings require you to assign people to work there. Your people will have their own daily schedule including working 10 hours each day. You can dictate exactly how many or how few people are dedicated to certain jobs. For example, you could take everybody off hunting and cooking to stockpile coal if a major temperature drop is arriving.

STRUCTURES

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Welcome to my city! Here's your tent. Now before you look at the price - remember that real estate is location, location, location. This tent is only 15 minutes from anywhere you'll be sent to work!
  • The Generator -This is your main building, central to your city, and the most important one. The generator is able to provide heat in a radius around it, after you fire her up with coal. Cycling the generator up, or "overcharging" it will generate "stress." When the generator is not in overdrive, the stress level will go down. If the stress level reaches 100%, it explodes and you lose. Managing the heat level around our city will be crucially important to keeping everybody warm and happy.

It consumes 6 coal per hour at base level (144/day) and can be sent into overdrive for a number of hours to increase the existing heat zone temperature by one level without consuming extra coal.

Tip: Overdrive is best used at night when everybody is at home to benefit from the extra heat, it can be turned off during the day to reduce the stress on the generator.

I would like to make a 40 foot robot

• The workshop -This is where your people research fun new technology (see below)

• Steam Hub Mini-generators which make heat for an area. They broadcast the same heat level as whatever the generator is at. (i.e. if the Generator is at +3 heat level, these broadcast a +3 heat level) They DO NOT STACK. (I.e. you cannot make a +4 heat level area by overlapping a +2 steam hub with another +2 heat zone)

• Workshop Large building which makes Automatons.

• Beacon A building which lets you view the overworld map and command scouts. Make scouts at this building.

• Outpost Depot Lets you make outpost teams which establish a camp where there are resources and gives you regular shipments.

Pick things up / Put them Down

• Gathering Post Handy and cheap building which gives workers 1 heat insulation. Workers will automatically gather deposits in range (crates, wreckage, or coal piles)

• Resource Depot A relatively expensive building which increases the maximum storage capacity of a given resource. Mandatory for mid - late game. You will be looking for places to shove these late game.

• Stockpiles A useless building taking up valuable real estate close to the generator. It does nothing, does not require heat, and cannot be manned or removed.

Global Warming HERE WE COME

• Coal Thumper Large building which flushes coal piles up to the surface, ready to be collected by people at a Gathering Post our just on their own. (Use a gathering Post) Can be upgraded to a Steam Coal Thumper.

• Mine Built at a coal deposit, extracts coal, costs a steam core. Can be upgraded to a steam coal mine and an advanced steam coal mine.

• Charcoal Kiln Turns wood into coal. Requires a ton of wood if this is your primary coal production.

This is the only steel production.

• Steelworks Built at an iron deposit, extracts steel. Can be upgraded to a steam steelworks and an advanced steam steelworks.

Got Wood?

• Sawmill Harvests nearby frozen trees - limited by the surrounding tree amount. Can be upgraded to an advanced sawmill. These are limited to the number of nearby trees.

• Wall Drill Large structure which drills into the countryside and pulls back trees. Can be upgraded to a steam wall drill and advanced steam wall drill.

Num nums

• Hunting Lodge Hunters leave from here to check traps every night and return in the AM with the catch. You will need a healthy amount of them, especially early game. You can also cheese them, taking them off the building during the day - reassigning them elsewhere, and returning them at night to work 24/7

• Hunters Hanger Like the hunting lodge, except better and with blimps.

• Cookhouse Turns raw food into food rations, you can easily keep up with the food demand with only a couple of workers. (or children)

• Hothouse Greenhouse, needs to be heated well.

• Advanced Hothouse Bigger veggies.

gently caress it's cold.

• Tent Basic housing for 10, 1 heat insulation

• Bunkhouse Better housing for 10, 2 heat insulation

• House Best housing for 10, 3 heat insulation, can be upgraded to 4.

Booze, Whores, Fights

• Fighting Arena Place near your housing to reduce discontent during the evening times.

• Public House A bar which reduces discontent. Later, whores.

I'm really committed to playing hookey

• Medical Post A small medical facility staffed by 5 engineers which treats up to 5 patients.

• Infirmary A huge medical facility staffed by 5 engineers which treats up to 10 people twice as fast as a medical post.

I didn't do good with the two buildings above

• Cemetery Dead people go here, can be in a heat zone.

• Snow Pit Dead people go here, can not be in a heat zone.

Crips and Kids

• Child Shelter Building which houses 15 kids during the day - later can help with Workshop or Medical Post duties.

• Carehouse Place for the crippled and severely ill to go on half rations until you get them cyborg arms.

ORDER BUILDINGS

• Watchtower A small watchtower waiting to be upgraded to a Guard Post. Provides a hope bonus in the AoE around it.

• Guard Post Same as a watchtower - but bigger and better and you can use the guards to break up the rabble during events and go on patrol once you pass the law.

• Propaganda Center

"It is very warm in our glorious city!"

• Prison Put those filthy rabble rousers away for life! (or three days, whatever)

• Agitator Work harder, citizen.

PEGGIE FAITH BUILDINGS

• House of Prayer Similar to a guard post, but has a larger footprint, larger AoE, and doesn't need to be heated or manned.

• House of Healing Treats sick people with the power of prayer. Does not work as well as the power of medicine - but provides a hope bonus.

• Faith Keepers You know those dudes with the clubs in Game of Thrones that go around making people walk through Kings Landing naked? These are those dudes.

• Shrine Have faith! (and work harder).

• Soup Kitchen? Small cookhouse which distributes food to workplaces during the day - manned and provides a passive heat bonus to workplaces.

• The Temple Large building which gives further options to increase hope. No flying buttresses for some reason.

TEMPERATURE

As mentioned earlier, it's crucial to manage the temperature in your city. Temperature can affect the health and well being of your population. The conditions outside, generator level, building placement and building insulation all have an affect on the temperature. Each individual in your city has to deal with the temperature both where they work and where they live. If it's too cold, they may get sick, or worse, die.

THE BOOK OF LAWS

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Huh... it says here that the mayor of the city gets to personally warm up one woman of his choosing every night. *Shrug* Big government at it again, am I right!?
The book of laws is where the real magic happens. And by that I mean it's where you get to decide how your city operates. Find ways to fight hunger, sickness, boredom and the human condition with The Book of Laws. The outcome of these decisions will impact the happiness and hope of your citizens. Think carefully as issued laws may block access to laws with opposing effects.

Allow or ban child labor? Establish an neighborhood watch, which might lead to guard stations or the introduction of propaganda creating a faction of deserters, or create a safe space for your citizens?

Will you open a fighting pit to keep people entertained? Will you put your children to work? Will you allow whorehouses? What fun things will you add to the soup? How will you deal with the corpses of the dead?

All these choices and more are yours to explore!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYiL_j890a0

TECHNOLOGY TREE

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The faster we get aerosol hairspray, the faster we can punch a hole in the ozone layer and warm it up a bit.
Researched from your workshop, new technology can grant you new structures, new upgrades, etc. You can research things like "Hunter's hut upgrade" which will decrease the amount of time it takes your hunters to get new raw food in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDHRcAQuBr8

HOPE and DISCONTENT

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

All I hear is complaining all friggin day: "My back hurts! - my feet hurt! - I'm only four!"
Current conditions in your city as well as actions you take will increase or decrease these two factors. Presumably doing things like "giving funerals to the dead" might increase hope and decrease discontent - and doing things like "giving funerals to the dead by way of shoving them into a furnace for heat" might increase discontent, yet keep your people warmer. Critical resource shortages and working / living conditions will also affect these factors. (i.e. don't out your housing a half mile from your generator where it's -30 degrees)

ANNOYING STREAMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IoOdpMaFvs -Because I find British accents tolerable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMmJay3ah2I -Good intro / explanation

A two and a half hour demo of the game from Lewis and Tom of the yogscast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZNWmfpBnE#t=395s

(I recommend checking this video out for a few minutes if you want to see what the game is about)
"Getting through the first 10 days with a solid base" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCAbUirA18

Trailer - Heartbeats (debut gameplay trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxTxUL_8VkA

Trailer - Whiteout (cinematic trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6saqbmVT9qk

Trailer - Serenity (date trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPCgltNJoHI

-----

Props to Drunkill for making a better post then conceding to mine.

------

Mayor Tinfoil's Tips
  • There are two resources which will make you lose the game outright - coal and food. Make these your priority and manage them well. Food shortages can sneak up on you quickly.
  • Early game, have your workers harvest from coal piles, crates, and wreckage which are not close to any other deposits. The reason being is that later you will want to make gathering posts at the clumped deposits later on when the weather is colder and you need the protection.
  • Wood and research will be your limiting factor for expanding your early city - make sure your coal and food production are solid then focus on wood. Coal is predictable, and you don't need to overdo it.
  • Keep an eye on future weather changes. If you see a -2 level drop incoming - make sure you get your city ready by researching better heating and increase your coal production ahead of time. If you can't, then get your medical posts ready for some new patients.
  • The general consensus is that child labor isn't worth what they can actually do. If you go the child shelter route- you can eventually enlist them to aid engineers or medical posts to improve efficiency and increase hope to boot. This is way more valuable then what they can accomplish in the coal mines.
  • Get your research up and your scouts out early.

Korthal posted:

You can rotate buildings with middle mouse button...

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've been ready for this since I first heard about it, I'm very eager to enrich myself with warmth while the plebs freeze.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This looks baller as gently caress and just the right aesthetic to get me into some kind of weird roguelike-citybuilder phase again.

Is it going to be an early access title or released complete?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wtf this looks cool

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Pierson posted:

This looks baller as gently caress and just the right aesthetic to get me into some kind of weird roguelike-citybuilder phase again.

Is it going to be an early access title or released complete?

I believe they have said there will be no EA or beta - when it hits it'll be full. *Usually* they are able to give out a few early access copies out for marketing and game review types, of which streamers count.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Updated with some more info I was able to extract and more pics.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/956880081917480961

:pcgaming:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is it coming to Steam, or is there a website for this?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

clone on the phone posted:

Is it coming to Steam, or is there a website for this?

Yes http://store.steampowered.com/app/323190/Frostpunk/

and yes! http://www.frostpunkgame.com/

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Release this week, or at least release date announced this week:

https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/957967865185013761

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Release date is end of Q1, so by March 31st, hopefully. Lookin' forward to it. I like some THEY ARE BILLIONS, but it doesn't go deep enough on the gnarly stuff. And the This War Of Mine folks are about nothing if not gnarly stuff.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If you can choose to eat the dead, and children can die in work accidents, I hope they go the extra mile and let us have real baby back ribs.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Bogart posted:

Release date is end of Q1, so by March 31st, hopefully. Lookin' forward to it. I like some THEY ARE BILLIONS, but it doesn't go deep enough on the gnarly stuff. And the This War Of Mine folks are about nothing if not gnarly stuff.

While that stuff is cool, I do hope they also have normal/positive things you can do, which make the game significantly harder.

If it's just all misery all the time, it's going to be a very significant one trick pony of a thing.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Rookersh posted:

While that stuff is cool, I do hope they also have normal/positive things you can do, which make the game significantly harder.

If it's just all misery all the time, it's going to be a very significant one trick pony of a thing.

Your city has hope and discontent meters that have to be managed. So it comes down to where you want to make trade offs. If you ban child labor and order a school built for the children it will raise hope and lower misery, but you deprive yourself those workers and have to devote resources to actually building it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
You can also opt for giant mechanical spiders to do your bidding as well. I hope they step on some folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgJeLskhmo

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You can also opt for giant mechanical spiders to do your bidding as well. I hope they step on some folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgJeLskhmo

I saw something about these. An interviewer asked if they might rebel and go on killing sprees, to which the developer responded "if you are asking, you already know the answer." It may have been a joke, but given what I know if the game already, I suspect not.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/968805471133020160

I think we're getting closer!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The update describes some features of the Order path, but do we know what the alternative is? How many civic trees will there be?

Hype tho

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Pirate Radar posted:

The update describes some features of the Order path, but do we know what the alternative is? How many civic trees will there be?

Hype tho

They haven't said, I don't think. There's enough to indicate that there's solid end-game features to keep you interested and your city humming after the initial "hike through waist deep snow for coal" phase.

Also the screenshots look gorgeous.
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/969157279634411520

I'm hearing whispers that release is "end of March" but I can't find any official info.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

They haven't said, I don't think. There's enough to indicate that there's solid end-game features to keep you interested and your city humming after the initial "hike through waist deep snow for coal" phase.

Also the screenshots look gorgeous.
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/969157279634411520

I'm hearing whispers that release is "end of March" but I can't find any official info.

They said they’re still on track for that, yeah. Their goal has been “sometime in Q1 2018” for a while.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The correct answer was April 24th, come on down and claim your prize!

https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/972032998085419009

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's almost March! :negative:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hah, well, alright

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
That trailer for the release date is amazing, if a little (insanely) brutal. They dropped the sad cellos and violins from the other trailers and created contrast of the hyperdepressing reality with an upbeat blues, and still managed to make it mostly depressing. Pretty good. Also tons of little details, they really put a lot of work into that animation.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yay! A thread! I’ve been eagerly anticipating this game since December. The wait has been killing me.
Before the release date was announced everyone on the steam forum was crying about how the game was dead.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/981501914159435776

noice

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh, I like city-builders but not survival games, and I don't mind steampunk when it's done well (Rise of Legends). Will keep an eye on this, but I hope there's some sort of story to follow instead of just a sandbox. I like having a win condition.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I didn't see this thread and made one myself, oops. The game looks fantastic and I've been following it for awhile now, nice to know it comes out soon.

Check out this stream which has 2 and a bit hours of gameplay and is very in depth and good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZNWmfpBnE&t=395s

I'll quote my OP from the other thread here if people wanted to see it, mostly the same information.

Also take note of these two tips which are important and could be added to the current OP.
Tip: Overdrive is best used at night when everybody is at home to benefit from the extra heat, it can be turned off during the day to reduce the stress on the generator.
Tip: A human will eat 1 ration per day. Starving people eat 2 rations per day. If you have run out of rations people will eat 1 raw food per day. People eating raw food instead of processed rations are more likely to get sick.

drunkill posted:

Trailer: 'Heartbeats' (debut gameplay trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxTxUL_8VkA

:siren: Frostpunk is released on April 24th
website | twitter | wikia

THE CITY MUST SURVIVE
Frostpunk is a city-survival game where heat means life and every decision comes with a cost. Ensure you have enough food to survive while you scout for survivors, resources and a hope for the future.

Society is a group of people abiding the same rules and sharing similar beliefs. Establishing laws and customs will be a crucial factor shaping your society.

Will you allow child-labour? How will you treat the sick and wounded? Do you pad your food supply with sawdust? Will you banish criminals to the harsh wasteland? These choices will challenge a player’s tactical skills, while questioning one’s morality.

THE GENERATOR
The beating heart and main source of heat in your city. Keep it fed with coal to keep your people warm.
It consumes 6 coal per hour at base level (144/day) and can be sent into overdrive for a number of hours to increase the existing heat zone temperature by one level without consuming extra coal.

RESOURCES
Workers - Your weary survivors and citizens.
Engineers - A specialized class of people, engineers can be assigned to grant a boost in production from buildings, they can also gather at a faster rate than workers.
Children - Gather at a slower rate, depending on your choice of laws they may not be able to work in dangerous jobs or work at all.

Coal - Collect coal from surface deposits to feed the generator. Research and build a coalmine to gather longterm stockpiles.
Wood - Gathered from wooden crates or construct a sawmill to process frozen trees. Wood is used to build structures and research technologies.
Steel - Gather steel from wreckage or mine it from an iron deposit with a Steelworks.
Steam Core - A rare item which can only be found via exploration. Used to build advanced buildings and machinery.

Raw Food - Send out hunters to gather food, or let the populace eat corpses if the need arises.
Rations - Turn your raw food into two rations in a Cookhouse to boost efficiency.

Tip: A human will eat 1 ration per day. Starving people eat 2 rations per day. If you have run out of rations people will eat 1 raw food per day. People eating raw food instead of processed rations are more likely to get sick.

BOOK OF LAWS
Find ways to fight hunger, sickness, boredom and the human condition with The Book of Laws. The outcome of these decisions will impact the happiness and hope of your citizens. Think carefully as issued laws may block access to laws with opposing effects.

Allow or ban child labour? Establish an neighbourhood watch, which might lead to guard stations or the introduction of propaganda creating a faction of deserters, or create a safe space for your citizens?

Will you choose to establish a cemetery for your fallen citizens or will you use their bodies as a source of food and vital organs for your injured?

OTHER
A two and a half hour demo of the game from Lewis and Tom of the yogscast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZNWmfpBnE&t=395s
(I recommend checking this video out for a few minutes if you want to see what the game is about)

"Getting through the first 10 days with a solid base" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCAbUirA18

Trailer - Heartbeats (debut gameplay trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxTxUL_8VkA
Trailer - Whiteout (cinematic trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6saqbmVT9qk
Trailer - Serenity (date trailer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPCgltNJoHI

Victorian edition:
"Grab the Collector's Edition for just $34.99 USD! It includes a 56 page hardcover artbook, along with a physical install disk." Not sure where to buy it from.

I also should have titled the thread" Winter is coming"

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 5, 2018

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Looks interesting, but all I've seen seems to be about how you slowly turn your frosthole into a totalitarian hell. Admittedly I only found out this game existed last night so I haven't seen much, so is there any dev stuff about alternate law paths/society plans that aren't grimdark?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think they are keeping the other paths under wraps deliberatly

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Seems like OKing cannibalism would be an easy moral choice. Better that than actual living people coming to harm. Those guys aren't even using those bodies anymore even! It's gonna be like the Fremen except instead of water it's human flesh.

The Donner Party did nothing wrong.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 5, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im wondering how much depth there actually is to this game. with all maps ive seen basically taking place in the same circle that removes one of the most major forms of depth in the genre and idk if placement in the circle and the decision system can compensate. i found this war of mine rather shallow and it wasnt really great for replayability

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Davincie posted:

im wondering how much depth there actually is to this game. with all maps ive seen basically taking place in the same circle that removes one of the most major forms of depth in the genre and idk if placement in the circle and the decision system can compensate. i found this war of mine rather shallow and it wasnt really great for replayability

As far as I know the crater is the crater is the crater. Replayability will be meant to come from the book of laws and the branching storyline.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

drunkill posted:

I didn't see this thread and made one myself, oops. The game looks fantastic and I've been following it for awhile now, nice to know it comes out soon.

Check out this stream which has 2 and a bit hours of gameplay and is very in depth and good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZNWmfpBnE&t=395s

I'll quote my OP from the other thread here if people wanted to see it, mostly the same information.

Also take note of these two tips which are important and could be added to the current OP.

I also should have titled the thread" Winter is coming"

Well done, I took the liberty to merge your superior post into mine so now I can take all the credit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Davincie posted:

These games i think are mainly for the story and sadly most stories are only enough to hold most people once.

Granted i played through this war of mine like, 3 times.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Really enjoyed This War of Mine and this looks awesome too. Really hoping that there's multiple optimal ways to build your victorian apocalypse hellhole. I watched some streamer play this the other day and he was basically huddling all housing and industry together as much as possible near the generator for warmth vs. some of the videos posted here where all residential is near the generator and all industry is on the outskirts (HE had to add steam plants or something to get warmth on the outskirts but apparently that can suck up coal fast). Some other brit dude youtube video recommended getting the beacon ASAP for mass influx of warm bodies and children to throw into the generator.

Tech tree looks pretty extensive from the amount of stuff obscured and the law tree looks interesting. Should be worth $30 for sure.

I think I only played through This War of Mine only a few times too, but that was due to OCD min/maxing fatigue and trying to build guns and weapons as early as possible and other stupid poo poo rather than just trying to play out every life regardless of what I got rolled with.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 5, 2018

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Please be good, I really could use a new survival/building game. I didn't like Surviving Mars and did a Steam refund after less than 2 hours, because I found the game stale and one-dimensional. I hope this will be better....

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Hammerstein posted:

Please be good, I really could use a new survival/building game. I didn't like Surviving Mars and did a Steam refund after less than 2 hours, because I found the game stale and one-dimensional. I hope this will be better....

You can force people to work a 24 hour shift while you pass a secret law to chop up the corpses of the dead and put it in the soup, of which you've already spiked with sawdust.

Avalanche posted:

Really enjoyed This War of Mine and this looks awesome too. Really hoping that there's multiple optimal ways to build your victorian apocalypse hellhole. I watched some streamer play this the other day and he was basically huddling all housing and industry together as much as possible near the generator for warmth vs. some of the videos posted here where all residential is near the generator and all industry is on the outskirts (HE had to add steam plants or something to get warmth on the outskirts but apparently that can suck up coal fast). Some other brit dude youtube video recommended getting the beacon ASAP for mass influx of warm bodies and children to throw into the generator.

Tech tree looks pretty extensive from the amount of stuff obscured and the law tree looks interesting. Should be worth $30 for sure.

I think I only played through This War of Mine only a few times too, but that was due to OCD min/maxing fatigue and trying to build guns and weapons as early as possible and other stupid poo poo rather than just trying to play out every life regardless of what I got rolled with.

I tried TWoM last night for a few - I wasn't really sure what I was doing. Some dude was sick, and by day 2 I had two people who needed to sleep and I had no beds or clue how to properly rest them. Visuals are very nice, I'll have to play some more during the free trial period. It's also on sale for like 70% off so.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would say stick with it. It's difficult to get started on but once you get a feel for it, it opens up.

I still end up playing the game like a horrible murderer every time i play it now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You can force people to work a 24 hour shift while you pass a secret law to chop up the corpses of the dead and put it in the soup, of which you've already spiked with sawdust.

Immediately preordered !