Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wait, they added an endless mode with no generator?

i know what i'm spending my money on. does the generator get built eventually, followed by worse storms or is it permanent "last autum" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Truga posted:

wait, they added an endless mode with no generator?

i know what i'm spending my money on. does the generator get built eventually, followed by worse storms or is it permanent "last autum" thing?

You rebuild an exploded generator, with a 24-hour storm every 12 days (48 hours from the fifth storm onward). This gives you your effective time limit to get it finished and turned on.
On the plus side, you have more citizens (125 instead of 80) and a bunch more resources in the form of ruins, and 5 steam cores instead of one.

Once you have the generator up it's standard Endless mode, with relics, and storms at regular intervals.

Edit: Oh yeah, of course no hubs or automatons until the generator's switched on. Better tech up to houses and insulation ASAP.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 17, 2020

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I'm getting into it. It's "The Builders" mode which is similar to "the last Autumn" (might be from the same DLC).

No generator means no automatons, so you need to keep everyone healthy and working. Last time I made a serious try, I had like 26 amputees and had to make new limbs for all of them.

The real trick is figuring out how and when to get more survivors for more workers. I know that certain landmarks in the frostlands are more likely to have them than others but...heh.

So when you rush construction of the generator, it says it may cause problems "down the line" but what kind of problems we talking about?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
As far as I know it's stuff like overdrive being gimped by having stress rise quicker or never drop below a certain value, or nerfs to hubs like reduced radius or a cap on hub numbers.

Note that the flaws don't apply when you use extra steam exchangers to advance work 20%, only when you use the instant-complete button.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm. So, in Endless Mode, do we favor child labor or child shelters? I could see a case being made for either. More hands at work is usually good, but boosting all my tents with kids helping out as medical assistants so I get the sick people back on their feet faster sounds tempting for next time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Child Shelter gives one of the most powerful bonuses in the game once you upgrade them to medic apprentices. That's absolutely the preference, if you can hold out long enough to get it

Child Labor doesn't let you get the extremely good Child Shelter bonus but makes the early game much easier. For Rifts on Survivor mode there's almost no margin for error, I absolutely could not figure out a way to avoid getting Child Labor.

So the choice kind of lets you slide the difficulty around, Child Labor makes the early game way easier but goes away as a benefit as your camp gets bigger, and Child Shelter makes the mid game way easier thanks to that medic bonus

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In the endless builders scenario that's much less pressing, as you start out with a larger workforce. I go for engineer apprentices and get the medical bonus from snow pits and transplantation instead. Discontent is not an issue as Order gives you guard towers and patrols to easy suppress it even without going down the fash parts of the tree.
Engineer apprentices is vital because you really need to be upgrading houses, heaters and insulation as soon as possible. I've only played on Normal mode but you can have houses with full insulation by the first storm if you plan appropriately, which means you don't get dozens of frostbite cases from that storm, and so don't lose the first few days afterwards just to healing your workforce.

You're taking Order in The Builders mode because the Foreman ability lets you complete most of the generator construction stages in a single day, and each stage is a separate structure so the cooldown doesn't carry over to subsequent stages.

Edit: checking the wiki, the medic apprentices bonus is only active in the same hours as engineer apprentices (11:00-18:00), which makes it less than a 6% bonus over a 24-hour period.

Edit 2: even with extended shifts you only get a 14-hour day in workshops, which makes the effective bonus from engineer apprentices 10%

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 17, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: The achievements for completing scenarios on Hard difficulty specifically require you to be on Hard, in other words Extreme doesn't count.

I learned this after finishing The Last Autumn on Extreme with exactly 24 people left alive :shepicide:

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Outta nowhere, the last Frostpunk expansion came out today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147010/Frostpunk_On_The_Edge/

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
poo poo, I know what I'm playing tonight!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Diplomacy scenario? Trade networks? Throwing off the shackles of an oppressive ruler? That sounds fascinating

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Was not expecting this but pretty excited to play. I enjoyed the last expansion quite a bit.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Initial verdict, after 2 hours of play: Well, gently caress me!

You have no access to food other than what you trade for.
You have no control over which laws apply.
You have no generator for heat.
You have a single source of steel and steam cores, and these are also the things you need to trade for food.

First New London cut my daily food supply, and then they withheld it entirely until they got steel shipments. Ten days in, and I have the first deaths of starvation in 100+ hours of playing Frostpunk. This poo poo's gonna be tricky.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Initial verdict, after 2 hours of play: Well, gently caress me!

You have no access to food other than what you trade for.
You have no control over which laws apply.
You have no generator for heat.
You have a single source of steel and steam cores, and these are also the things you need to trade for food.

First New London cut my daily food supply, and then they withheld it entirely until they got steel shipments. Ten days in, and I have the first deaths of starvation in 100+ hours of playing Frostpunk. This poo poo's gonna be tricky.

This doesn't sound fun at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thought it was disappointingly short, easy and simple. after a single trial run to figure out the new mechanics in the first few days, i went and got both endings without much effort. there's really not much new there in comparison to last autumn. the other settlements come down to resource dumps and the only challenge is just waiting to get enough steel. coal or heat are never an issue and food is only a problem for about 2 days. you get choices with the other settlements but they barely matter

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Davincie posted:

i thought it was disappointingly short, easy and simple. after a single trial run to figure out the new mechanics in the first few days, i went and got both endings without much effort. there's really not much new there in comparison to last autumn. the other settlements come down to resource dumps and the only challenge is just waiting to get enough steel. coal or heat are never an issue and food is only a problem for about 2 days. you get choices with the other settlements but they barely matter

I had one early restart and then finished on hard. Enjoyed it, but agree, it wasn't as challenging as Last Autumn. I ended the scenario with fully upgraded houses, expecting more cold to come but it never did. I bought the season pass way back when and the 120something hours I have in the game were well worth it.
Will have to fire up an endless scenario though and see how the new trading mechanics work there.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I just finished it, and it wasn’t as good as the rest. Too many of the “moral quandary” interactions were the same, basically “do you let your partners do the stupid thing that hurts you but makes them happy, or do you tell them to stop being idiots and take a relationship penalty”. And the end game of oh the enemy is actually a sad and hosed up set of refugees who need help!!! was a rehash of the scenario where the Lords threaten to take back your city but oh it turns out they’re all sad and overwhelmed and beg for help.

The mechanics were... interesting, though. Steel being your main currency, having no food production and rapidly dwindling wood made the late game more of a trading juggle than I expected, though that’s because I fell for what I think is an intentional trap - most of the research you can do is just useless, you really just need some of the basic stuff, and putting too much time into the wrong research means you’re wasting the steel you need to trade or you need to make the infrastructure to make the steel to trade. I ended up with a lot of unemployment because I can’t refuse refugees and there just wasn’t much point to building a lot.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

n/a

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mostly like the DLC because you're basically playing as the outposts that you can set up in the original scenario and the "bad guy" was you, the player, loving up your city over and over and hoping that the shipments keep coming.

It's an interesting flip because your New London masters basically act how you do, paying for the initial setup and after that you're just a blip on a map to them with "+30 steel" written on it.

E. For new players, there is something that really hosed me up the first time that is a mechanical issue, so forewarn: You lose the construction crew that you send to make a new outpost at settlements. You DON'T lose the ones that you send out to make safe passages. Don't be like me and try and wait until you had thirty people to spare to make safe passages and lose out on tons of supplies. It's really lovely game design to change rules like that without saying anything.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 22, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Steam cores seizing (-90% to all steam core buildings) is the lamest, least fun random event.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
They're all way too rough at the beginning. -90% food from hunters after the first storm, for five days? You don't have stockpiles at that point and pivoting your entire food production to hothouses, which you probably have to research first at this point means you might as well restart.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just did an Endless run up to day 60 or so, and the settlements were a let-down. I fully upgraded all of them, and I got jack poo poo for it. After each storm one settlement will be in trouble and need help, and if I have another upgraded settlement with good will then I can... exhaust all that good will to save the troubled settlement, and save myself like 200 wood or coal or food or something else that I will always have thousands of.

As icing on the cake there appears to be a bug that removes all the benefits for upgrading settlement production, as they always give the pitiful starting amount when you trade, regardless of what the tooltip says they will send you.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Much like we all might go in a frozen hellscape, Frostpunk ends with not a bang, but a whimper.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Honestly I kinda feel you on that. I love the game, don't get me wrong. But I was ... expecting a big dramatic reveal about what was causing the earth to go cold and maybe to try to reverse it, but instead our last dlc is ... Coalition Builder Frostpunk?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cobbsprite posted:

Honestly I kinda feel you on that. I love the game, don't get me wrong. But I was ... expecting a big dramatic reveal about what was causing the earth to go cold and maybe to try to reverse it, but instead our last dlc is ... Coalition Builder Frostpunk?

Yeah from a code name like "project tvadgycgjr" I was expecting some kind of last ditch project to warm the planet back up, but that wouldn't have been grimdark enough i guess

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, so, having finally finished On the Edge, here's my impression:

If they had released this before Last Autumn, I'd probably have seen it as a cool little twist on the base game. But Last Autumn had gotten my hopes up, and I was expecting something more...well, different. On the Edge is just standard Frostpunk, with a tacked on trading system. At first it seemed like playing a small outpost with no generator and no native food supply would be the big challenge, but the temperature actually never dips that much and the trading system means that your resource management just comes down to ensuring a steady output of steel and steam cores for trade.

As for the "diplomacy" system...eh. The loyalty rating is meaningless until the last 12 hours of ingame time, and to raise it you have to plow ludicrous amounts of resources into improving the infrastructure of your trading partners for marginal trading gains. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure you'd get more in return just straight up trading for food/wood and ignoring everything else.

I finished the scenario, but I really don't feel like going back to try different choices, harder difficulties or achievements. That about says it all, really.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do you get The Union achievement (resolve the class conflict in The Refugees)? I got to the end, accepted all the groups of lords, didn't let Craven get lynched, got my discontent and hope at the right levels... and then a few hours later I got the "we are divided" ending. What did I do wrong?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno. I got the achievement, but can't quite remember what I did to get it. Maybe there's a couple of events where the refugees want to gently caress over the lords you've already accepted into the city?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I recently decided to replay some.

Might just be me, but performance seems to have dipped quite a bit.

I really wish there was an option to just turn shadows off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are a bunch of events leading up to the end of the refugees, and I recall that you had to resolve all of them in the most amicable way to get the union ending. I think several of them require guards or faith keepers, and prisons or public penance, to break up things, imprison perpetrators, etc. If you're not actively working to treat the lords well then you won't get the union ending

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

How do you get The Union achievement (resolve the class conflict in The Refugees)? I got to the end, accepted all the groups of lords, didn't let Craven get lynched, got my discontent and hope at the right levels... and then a few hours later I got the "we are divided" ending. What did I do wrong?

You basically have to go mid way into disc/faith, but still treat them with a soft hand. The lords are starving and sick, if they beg for food and you have extra give it to them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I finished On The Edge last night and really enjoyed it. I like how it ties together a lot of the other scenarios, including A New Home, Winterhome, and Last Autumn. I think the game is implying that the scientists from The Arks all perished, as the seeds are probably being used by Hot Springs. I didn't see any references to Refugees but may have just missed it. Anyway, it's a cool capstone to the overarching story, explicitly taking place after The Great Storm and serving as an epilogue to the series.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaj posted:

You basically have to go mid way into disc/faith, but still treat them with a soft hand. The lords are starving and sick, if they beg for food and you have extra give it to them.

Ugh, I must have told one of them to gently caress off I guess. Time to try again.

Maybe I won't play on expert this time.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think this might be my game of the year.

I didn't quite get it at first - played around on normal trying to be a decent leader. Pretty tricky, but got the hang of it. Managed a zero death golden path run after a few tries. I'm thinking, oh, ok, it's not the easiest thing but you can quite easily avoid doing anything too egregious if you don't gently caress up entirely or get way unlucky, and I only really did the properly crazy stuff to see what happened.

Then I tried survivor. Oh holy poo poo. Ten minutes in and I actually scoff at my computer screen while clicking 'NO gently caress OFF' as people ask me to give kids more rations or a day off for injuring themselves. No no no. The temperature is about to drop and all my adults are hunting and we still don't have enough food so back down the mine with you on a bowl of gruel little Timmy. Oh jesus christ everyone is ill, pack them in like sardines. There is still no food. It's too cold for the cookhouse to function. Everyone's eating raw food and getting ill. Now half the hunters are ill and dying and no one is left to work the mines. The generator is off. Oh my god.

I don't think I've ever had a game capture that feeling of utter desperation like this lol. Best I've done on survivor so far is getting to the last day of the storm with basically everyone but 6 people dead (graveyard full of like 500 corpses lmao)*, all of them starving and freezing, and being executed hours before it passed because not even my executions and captain's words could keep discontent down. Tbf I had it coming. How the hell anyone has the zero death survivor run achievement I have no idea, and that's only on New Home. I don't even want to think about doing it on fall of winterhome.

*I would have loved to see the victory screen with like 2 surviving citizens, both half dead and surrounded by corpses, mind.

e: I've had no luck getting the cannibalism event to pop, which would have helped a lot when we ran out of food. I heard somewhere you need a snow pit over a graveyard for that? Or am I just (un)lucky?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
You need to have a snow pit and be out of food for several days. You'll probably lose over half your people to hunger in this time. This is paradoxically good for your city: the recently dead were contributing a lot to Discontent because they were hungry so that becomes slightly easier to manage for a few days. Then you'll get an event with a choice and sometime after that the ability to make it a law.

If I remember rightly.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, I've beaten all scenarios on hard, but expert is just a micromanagement nightmare. I can't even imagine enjoying this game on survivor.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Also I forgot to mention, the music in this is astronomically good. Like, it should win awards good.

Budgie posted:

You need to have a snow pit and be out of food for several days. You'll probably lose over half your people to hunger in this time. This is paradoxically good for your city: the recently dead were contributing a lot to Discontent because they were hungry so that becomes slightly easier to manage for a few days. Then you'll get an event with a choice and sometime after that the ability to make it a law.

If I remember rightly.

Cheers, will give it a go!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Man, I've beaten all scenarios on hard, but expert is just a micromanagement nightmare. I can't even imagine enjoying this game on survivor.

I've completed every scenario on Survivor and at the end of the day this game really comes down to the tightness of your build order. Each jump in difficulty just reduces the margin for error. You can use micromanagement to increase the margin for error, but at the end of the day that's just cheese; you really don't need those tricks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Winterhome Survivor is a special kind of hell. I had to cheat and backup my save file after clearing all the roads and assigning jobs, because doing that after every failed attempt was just miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think Winterhome Survivor is the one time that I felt compelled to use the trick where early on you turn off the generator during most of the day to save coal, and just turn it on for a handful of hours at night to prevent the event where a bunch of people freeze to death. Cheese for sure, I probably could have gotten out of those early days without doing it after enough failed tries, but :shrug: