Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really like this game but it has some weird frustrating stuff some times. Like the other day I lost a game because my discontent was too high. The reason for that was because I had the overcrowding law signed, and all my sick people were piling into a single medical post even though I had enough posts for them all to fit comfortably. I tried shutting them down and opening them back up but they still kept packing in for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh of course it wasn't my only source of discontent, but if people had actually spread out instead of clown-carring into a single tent, I would have been able to get below 75% and avoid the game over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Everything else was fine. I wasn't reacting to anything, other than my workers cramming into a single medical post like idiots and then getting mad about it. That's probably not a thing that should happen!

p.s. I'm not asking for advice, thank you!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 13, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're right, and the game overcrowding people for no reason is the problem.

Like yeah, I know I need to plan ahead and not just react to problems. But I shouldn't have to plan for the game managing my people in an extremely stupid way, especially when there's nothing I can do about that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes. I know. It was still putting me over the 75% threshold and there was literally nothing I could do about it.

I went back and checked my save, I had one post with 7 people in it, one tent with 2 people in it, and one that was completely empty. Seriously why are you defending this? It's stupid regardless of whatever else I was doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

you are really defensive about this, it is not a big deal

Sorry, when I posted I was kind of hoping for some kind of helpful tip for dealing with the problem that I had maybe overlooked. Like I don't know, maybe there's a button hidden somewhere to spread out your sick dudes? Instead I got a bunch of goons pedantically blaming me for not anticipating my citizens acting like complete morons. My discontent was high, but if it wasn't for this dumb problem I wouldn't have gotten a game over. That's the issue, not whatever else I was doing.

But I've learned from it at least, and Overcrowding is kind of a trap option because it basically gives you a permanent discontent modifier. I'll go with Extra Rations from now on. Would be nice if this didn't happen though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

I did Extra Rations for my first couple of games then switched to Overcrowding and Overcrowding was by far the more useful law.

You may have run into some weird behaviour (or maybe your other medical facilities were not operating at that moment for some reason), but the person telling you that the overcrowding penalty was far from your biggest problem is 100% right. At this point you look like the guy spending $800 a month on candles insisting that he needs to cut down on his $40 food expenditure.

If you want to go with this analogy, it would be like saying that a grocery clerk overcharged you, and having a bunch of people tell you that it's your fault for buying too many candles.

Like yeah, if I knew ahead of time that this was going to happen, I would have compensated for it and not driven my discontent so high. I was playing on extreme so a lot of it was pretty necessary, I'm not sure what I would cut out of my discontent budget. But that's not really the issue. The issue is that this "weird behavior" is the straw that broke the camel's back, and a bunch of folks are telling me to take some food off of the camel to accommodate the straw.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would probably make more sense to have hunters behave more like scouts, where your beacon occasionally spots a small herd of animals, and you can send them out to bring back a small, random amount of raw food.

As opposed to having a massive fleet of zeppelins that takes off every night to harvest the unlimited supply of extremely healthy caribou living in the -100C apocalyptic hellscape.

Zagazunt posted:

Frostpunk: Not so much hunting as meat mining

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK, how do I actually get the Iron Savior achievement? The description says "Finish the New Home scenario with no deaths from cold, hunger, sickness or overwork on Hard difficulty," but that's obviously not the whole story because apparently death by polar bear also counts. So far I'm halfway through my current game, and I've had six people die in an accident event, and one person from the poet suicide event. You'd think that neither of those would count as "death from cold, hunger, sickness, or overwork," but you'd also think that about getting eaten by polar bears. It would be nice if I actually knew if I had to start over or not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what about the work accident event? I assume since it's work-related it disqualifies you, but is there any way to avoid it? I was running 14h shifts everywhere, but there was nothing in the event text to suggest that was the cause.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No. It was the "some people died in an accident, you can let people know about it or cover it up" event.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh OK so the propaganda center just magically kills people for no reason :thumbsup:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well then they probably should have included that in the event text, because as it is it just seems like random, unavoidable deaths.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why isn't there a research option that lets my automatons work at the pub?

As prostitutes?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The hardest part of Winterhome is unfucking the city layout.

For me the hardest scenario was the Refugees, by far. What a nightmare.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 2, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone got any good advice for The Refugees on survivor mode? Just starting out I immediately fall into a starvation spiral, because pulling people off my workforce to be hunters means I can't afford to build much else, including more hunter huts. I think I'm just going to have to let a lot of people die, but I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

There's a huge cache of food out in frostland that can let you cheese (lol) your food situation for quite awhile. I think that's almost necessary to get asap unless you have, like, perfect micromanagement skills.

iirc it's almost always only a couple stops from your city, to the west

I just tried that. It took me to the end of day 4 to reach the cannery. It is a fuckton of food, but by the time I brought it back my people were already dying of starvation and sickness. The upfront cost is just too high to try to rush it. Good idea, but it doesn't work in survivor mode.

e: though I did figure out that getting tents up ASAP doesn't reduce the number of sick I get on the first night, so that's pretty valuable information. If I delay tents until the second night, I can get a hunters hut up ASAP to get the food rolling.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 25, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I literally got them out as soon as possible. I didn't build anything aside from the workshop and beacon. Just gathering all the resources for it took until the end of the second day.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

But how quickly are you building those structures? Are you using emergency shifts to crank out the beacon research on the first night? Are you really collecting wood and steel as quickly as you can?

In my experience, if you get the scouts out quickly enough and run straight to the cannery and back then you don't even need to build that first hunter's hut. But you do need a cookhouse, to convert the raw food that you start with (and then iirc I'd actually break mine down, to recover the wood and get my scouts out faster)

Yes, I am absolutely certain that I'm doing things as quickly as possible. Even with 24 hour shifts every where and child labor, the soonest I can get the beacon up is late in day 2. Also the position of the cannery is random so I can't always go straight there. On my latest attempt I didn't even find it until day 4, and didn't reach it at all before I got a game over from too much discontent.

Are you really sure you did this on survivor mode?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just did another attempt, made it eight whole days without ever finding the cannery. I don't think that relying on rushing it is a very good strategy!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I was looking more for a build order, thanks. I already know all those tricks for keeping things efficient, plus a few others. Like how you can send sick people on scouting expeditions. They'll still be sick when you eventually disband the expedition, but they won't get sicker or die while they're out there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

Hothouses are really bad in my opinion. You need to keep them warm, they cost a steam core, they take up a lot of space, they don't really produce a LOT of food, etc. I'd much, much rather just have a gently caress load of hunters' huts and have my steam cores be generating a constant supply of coal/wood/steel and have my citizens safe and warm in their homes and praying away their hunger/frostbite.

Also hunter huts don't suffer efficiency losses for hunters being treated for sickness, for some reason.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have walked the Golden Path.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Great job! How many tries?

The only times I had to save scum was for the bear cave and Tesla City, and once when I didn't notice that I had a single chilly home.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: The achievements for completing scenarios on Hard difficulty specifically require you to be on Hard, in other words Extreme doesn't count.

I learned this after finishing The Last Autumn on Extreme with exactly 24 people left alive :shepicide:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do you get The Union achievement (resolve the class conflict in The Refugees)? I got to the end, accepted all the groups of lords, didn't let Craven get lynched, got my discontent and hope at the right levels... and then a few hours later I got the "we are divided" ending. What did I do wrong?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaj posted:

You basically have to go mid way into disc/faith, but still treat them with a soft hand. The lords are starving and sick, if they beg for food and you have extra give it to them.

Ugh, I must have told one of them to gently caress off I guess. Time to try again.

Maybe I won't play on expert this time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Winterhome Survivor is a special kind of hell. I had to cheat and backup my save file after clearing all the roads and assigning jobs, because doing that after every failed attempt was just miserable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Last Autumn is really good and definitely worth it. Haven't tried On the Edge yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfHUN4gFiw

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd like some UI and QOL improvements, maybe some design changes like being able to modify or repeal laws, oh and modding tools of course.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One big tip that I wish I was told when I first started playing is how to manage sick people at work. When you assign people to work at a building, it will take any healthy people first, then any ill people, then any terminally ill people. If you have enough space in medical facilities, the sick people won't work. So what you can do, before the start of each work day, is unassign all of your workers, and then fill your buildings back up stating with the most important ones so that the healthy people go to them first.

If you want to be a little cheesy you can also disable your medical posts during the work day. This forces the sick workers back to work and frees up the engineers, and having a bigger workforce is very important in the early game. As long as you turn the posts back on at night, the sick people won't get any sicker, but they also won't get healthy. You'll also get more sick people, so it's not something you can do for very long, just until you get better facilities.

Another handy tip is that you can mostly get away with leaving the generator off during the day for the first few days, because most people are going to be out gathering resources anyway.

There are lots of other little optimizations you can do as you learn.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

PSA the sawmill upgrades are a waste of time, get wall drills instead

Coal mines are kind of mid, thumpers are way better. Coal mines are pretty alright still just not great

Coal mines at the very least are more labor and space efficient if those are a concern.

Never use charcoal burners, you've really hosed up if you need to use those.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gathering posts are extremely important in the early game, not only do they make your workers more efficient, they also keep them relatively warmer and less prone to sickness. And you get the majority of the building cost back when you scrap them when the piles run out.

QuarkJets posted:

oh yeah that's a good point, scouting is an insanely lucrative option that you should really prioritize early on, this isn't obvious

Speaking of scouting, here's another cool trick, spoiler if you don't want to cheese: you can assign sick and starving people to your scouting teams, and they will never die as long as you don't disband the team. They will probably die when you do eventually disband them, but it's a good way to get rid of 5 sick and/or starving people in the early days.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trying to think of all the other tips I know, I haven't played in a long time and they're coming to me slowly.

Running out of steel can really gently caress you up in the midgame. You don't need a lot of it early on so wood will be your main bottleneck. But once your piles run out, the only way to get more is from iron mines, scouting, or an outpost if you have one. If you don't keep up on iron mine upgrades you'll have problems.

Like roadie said, upgrading the generator range is a bad idea, but upgrading its heat output is very good, since it improves the output of steam hubs too. Spending more coal on heating means you can put off researching bunks and houses and spend the resources on other things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best thing about organ transplants is that you don't even need any dead people for it to work. Don't ask where they're getting the organs from.

Fertilizer does need corpses though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah! Another HUGE tip!!! Scout teams move twice as fast when heading to a location that has already been scouted. So if you're sending them way out to scout a new spot and there's a spot that has already been scouted roughly in between, send them to the scouted place first, it will save a ton of time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think sometimes people just stay in care houses if there's room, maybe?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beating Winterhome on Extreme Survivor is one of the toughest challenges I've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's another neat little optimization I just remembered: people working in medical facilities can't get sick. It's very useful in the early game because you can stick all your engineers in medical posts overnight and not have to worry about losing research efficiency during the day. It also means that you don't have to heat medical facilities beyond the minimum to keep them operating, because the patients won't get sicker as long as they're being treated.