Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what's the benefit of gathering posts as opposed to ordering the workers to get stuff manually? Do they freeze less? More efficient? Just starting out, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, good, though it does still take time and resources to build the dang thing and once you've razed everything around it it's useless again--how efficient is deconstructing stuff?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A cylindrical city-builder is pretty novel for an idea. Still wrapping my head around a few concepts. (also my computer keeps crashing for reasons I'm sure aren't Frostpunk's fault).

I love the big horn that plays when it's time to stop or start working. The sound design is phenominal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

First try, I wound up with like 40 amputees because I had horrible thermal coverage resulting in a lot of frostbite. Second try went a hell of a lot better until I kept running out of coal and the lazy fucks just wouldn't make enough coal to keep themselves alive and eventually all the Londoners gave up and left. Assholes.

I wasn't expecting Automatons to be gigantic quadrupeds straddling buildings like a Boston Dynamics dog.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sardonik posted:

I love them, of all the designs for robots they could have gone with they went with the most alien and unnerving, which is absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, they look like a four-legged Martian Tripod, I love it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So if going all the way and declaring yourself the ice pope locks down Hope forever, does being Coal Tyrant lock down discontent forever?

Either way, I saved the day. Barely. Had enough food stockpiled, not nearly enough coal, though. Generator almost shut down a few times, I almost exploded it by overclocking it too much. There’s going to be a lot of people with frostbite in the new world.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 2, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how streets have a pipe running through them. They're not just places to walk, they're piping the steam to the buildings.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, you wouldn't want to breathe that in. Though frankly this world needs MORE global warming.

Huh, the second scenario is "fifty guys and as many automatons as they can build" huh? Challenging because you don't have humans to reinforce you. Automatons may work better than humans but they aren't cheap to make!

Is there a place with renewable steam cores like Tesla City in the first scenario?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm. Can unassigned automatons build buildings?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't think people complain about being forced to build stuff out in the snow, which is good because that'd make a hard game impossible. They only care about working/sleeping in cold. That said I need to figure out how to ramp up coal production better so my dudes don't freeze so much.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, economy is going MUCH better this time around in the Arks.

Last few times I played the Arks, I hit an event where I needed to slow down the automotons or risk them stepping on people and turning them into amputees. I decided "gently caress it" and kept the robots going and OH GOD I had like 20 amputees needing prosthetics. Guess I won't do that next time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I wish I could zoom in closer, other than that this game is really sweet.

They're promising camera mode soon, so you'll get your wish.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hotfix today for the automaton-naming update, saves were taking too long to save (I noticed my game hanging whenever midnight's autosave hit) so that's good.

I underestimated how good upgraded Coal Thumpers are. It's manpower-intensive compared to a coal mine (up to 50 guys assuming you have no automatons) but yeah, having all those refugees man the coal thumpers paid for itself and gave them something to do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I hate the old Captain so much for the layout of Winterhome - he deserved whatever lynching he got.

Oh poo poo, Winterhome scenario?!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nice twist. You have all the workers and resources you need in Winterhome, it's just the city is in rotten shape.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nosfereefer posted:

I wonder how temperature works in endless mode.
e: Like how it will drop, because it pretty much can't drop forever.

Probably just fluctuates then.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

jokes posted:

Thumpers/coal are infinite. Food is infinite. Wood/steel aren't. Cores aren't. Seems outposts will be more important? I don't know what we'd need that much wood/steel for though.

wood and steel aren't but you can get wood and steel from outposts, so there's that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

the healing houses absolutely kill at least one person because prayer is not that great a substitute for medicine after all.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Faith is a bit better in the hope department, just stay away from its healing houses because they suck at actually healing people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The execution you get to do on heretics is metal as hell though

The execution is the same if you go Order. Burninating someone with the machine that keeps you all safe is very symbolic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you postpone the beacon, the giant death storm will still come at the same eventual time, and an almost dead guy from Winterhome will collapse outside of your city bringing the bad news anyway, so I say, build that beacon and get reinforcements as soon as you like.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You may feel guilty about it but turning away refugees to save the ones you can is an option that the game does not otherwise penalize you for. That kind of nasty decision is what the Winterhome scenario is all about...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus. The Endless variant where you have to build the generator from scratch is...tricky. Hard enough to scrounge the resources but you have to deal with workplace safety and ventilators. At least the storms are infrequent and the temperature is relatively livable (since, you know, no generator).

No generator also means no automatons. That's rough...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I'm getting into it. It's "The Builders" mode which is similar to "the last Autumn" (might be from the same DLC).

No generator means no automatons, so you need to keep everyone healthy and working. Last time I made a serious try, I had like 26 amputees and had to make new limbs for all of them.

The real trick is figuring out how and when to get more survivors for more workers. I know that certain landmarks in the frostlands are more likely to have them than others but...heh.

So when you rush construction of the generator, it says it may cause problems "down the line" but what kind of problems we talking about?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm. So, in Endless Mode, do we favor child labor or child shelters? I could see a case being made for either. More hands at work is usually good, but boosting all my tents with kids helping out as medical assistants so I get the sick people back on their feet faster sounds tempting for next time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, cool, you can add other settlements from On The Edge into Endless Modes now. while your city is still meant to be mostly self-sustaining getting in good with the other settlements helps out.

And there's a version of Endless Mode which is basically The Last Autumn except you're already in winter so you have to rebuild the destroyed generator. Oops. (Last Autumn's laws are pretty neat because instead of being Order or Faith, it's "do you favor the working class or the engineers"). I went Labor this time around and the morning bell to work became the sound of a guy clanging on a pot. Very dignified. Hah.

Labor laws in general seem to boost motivation which when maxed out make everything 30% more productive. That's worth whatever downsides there are. One of the final Labor laws lets anyone fill any job regardless of qualifications which means you can put regular workers in Engineer jobs. they take an efficiency penalty but who cares when my worker morale is through the loving roof.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 20, 2021

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

I really liked the first one too but couldn't get into the expansions. Is Last Autumn any good?

Definitely. You're racing against the clock in a different way. Temperature variance isn't a thing (yet) but you have to worry about toxic gasses that make the workplace more or less dangerous day by day. The dudes who sent you to build the generator are keeping a timetable on you and expect you to have it all done by a certain period of time, and the social mechanics are different than in the base game (labor relations, possibility of strikes, etc).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, that's the thing in Last Autumn, most of these idiots think they're going to have a home to go back to. We don't measure it but there's an unseen large amount of money changing hands, money which will surely become completely value-less once the apocalypse hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bold of you to assume that whatever bullshit froze the world didn't break the Earth's core.

At least in Snowpiercer the horrible freezing was man-made. A botched attempt at fixing global warming that worked way too well!