Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I'd say go in blind. Half the fun of a first run of A New Home is the constant "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh, phew, I finally have a handle on this wait no what, oh poo poo oh poo poo"

Agreed, a lot of the fun of the game to me is pausing the game, considering my options, making a plan, and then scrambling when a surprise messes it up. If you play on Medium difficulty you generally have enough margins to make a few mistakes without screwing yourself over permanently, and strategies that turn out to be sub-optimal can still work. Hard tends to be more unforgiving in that one or two big mistakes puts you in a death spiral that is hard to come out of. However, A New Home on medium is fine to go in blind and enjoy the story. This game does a really good job with atmosphere, so take the time to zoom in on things and savor the little details. One note to make is that laws cannot be undone, so consider the implications of laws down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Tylana posted:

Is it much better or worse than Sawdust, gameplay wise?

I ended up googling the gathering posts a bit and there is the argument they scrap down for a loss of like 2 wood 1 steel. Which isn't an awful cost for freeing up workers for other stuff (and obviously use them for Thumpers.) Only build it out of shift hours of course.

But it seems like the early choices of what to build in what order are a ripe ground for constant fiddling and arguing.

The main appeal of gathering posts is when you want to RP a bit as a benevolent captain and you want to minimize sick people. There is an arguable benefit to gathering posts in that you reduce the number of sick citizens, which increases productivity and allows you to focus your few engineers on getting to 3 working workshops ASAP. I think people in gathering posts work faster than manually collecting from the pile, though you cannot prioritize one resource over the other (e.g. a gathering post in range of a steel wreckage and wooden crates will gather from both equally in terms of manpower/effort). In A New Home, I like to get gathering posts before the temperature drops to -30 deg C, or by day 3, whichever comes sooner.

Echoing everyone else on soup. Soup-Fighting Pits-Moonshine is what I like to refer to as the Rage Soup Economy. It stretches your food by an additional 25% for a relatively manageable cost. Plus, once you get up an running it is easy to go back to regular rations.

I've never gotten to the point of cannibalism, as by the point where you have enough dead bodies to matter I'd already want to restart due to feelings of failure. Almost did at the end of The Builders, but discontent was too high to pass the law, so people just stared at the morgue hungrily and angrily. Seemed a little silly, they should have cannibalism reduce discontent but greatly reduce hope.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
A really nice feature about The Last Autumn that I didn't realize at first was that it adds a third mode to Endless, where you can now start out with a ruined generator and have to build it from scratch, in the snow. Definitely extends the replayability of the scenario, though not all features carry over (docks aren't a thing since the frost has already come, etc.). It is very satisfying to build a generator from scratch while your people huddle in cold houses awaiting the coming of their thermal salvation. Also really made me miss shrines in the LA scenario.