Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As Frostpunk and the Rifts DLC is on Humble Monthly this month, I thought I'd ask if any cool Goons has or wants to check over https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Frostpunk for any notable additions or changes and post them in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807

I started watching Northernlion play this on youtube and while it's not a surprise to see him struggle, he's got like 60 sick people on day 12 and I can't even figure out why. Is chilly really bad (tm) ?

Also, going to be a while until I can settle in for a proper playthrough, is there stuff early in the first campaign that I should try and keep as a surprise and stop watching over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for the tips. Still a little glad I know not to build the hunter's hut next to the generator though. :D

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Is it much better or worse than Sawdust, gameplay wise?

I ended up googling the gathering posts a bit and there is the argument they scrap down for a loss of like 2 wood 1 steel. Which isn't an awful cost for freeing up workers for other stuff (and obviously use them for Thumpers.) Only build it out of shift hours of course.

But it seems like the early choices of what to build in what order are a ripe ground for constant fiddling and arguing.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Finally beat the first scenario on Medium. Was mostly just a romp, although losing people because I thought I only needed them back before SPOILER. Not like SPOILER days before was annoying.

Apparently I went too far despite refusing to make a religious police, just a religious spy network.

Great game. Doubt I'll poke it at max difficulty or anything, but cool and I might try the different scenarios.

EDIT : And I was stuck on 2 Londoners for days, then loaded a save, it dropped to 0, still had some leave while losing 0 people. I could even have given 0 rations to 0 people to have less discontent.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 20, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I was trying the Arks, thought I'd skip tents as the starting temperature is highish (and pushing research like Hothouse and Beacon).

Then the first night 12 people died. On medium. o.O I mean, the generator was off but. Surprised me.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The main depth as far as I know is the higher difficulties are much less forgiving. There's also the other scenarios and the endless mode (with different city maps to work with) in combination with such. But that's just from seeing people chatter in the thread.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You get four difficulty sliders, plus the option of a Survivor mode where you can't even pause the game. Try the scenarios you'll have unlocked though, they offer different stories and approaches. The Arks has you trying to achieve a specific goal with like 55 engineers, for instance. If you found the base game too easy on medium, definitely try the other stuff a tick higher.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If the gennie is on, they can huddle around it it seems (especially during warmer days). Just caught me by surprise. Was an early restart on the Arks. lol.

Have done Arks and Refugees now. Was pretty fun. Both had a healthy margin thanks to Medium difficulty. Though a sudden pivot to like 5 hot houses in Ark was fun. Took like three or four runs at the first few days of Refugees until I realised there are SOME trees for a sawmill on the map. (Yes, they aren't amazing but when I'm struggling to get enough wood for tier 2 tech at all they are cheep and work.)

Fall of Winterhome is tempting next. Not sure if I want to try it AND bumping difficulty up or not.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'd seen that tip somewhere. Maybe the wiki when I was just poking at what scenarios are around. A little sad I don't have Last Autumn, but got the game on Humble Monthy so can't complain. Might have to buy Last Autumn or the season pass just so the company gets some money for making a cool game. (Pretty sure Humble is usually just a lump sum regardless of how many keys they give out.)

EDIT : Also I like Sawmills because they tidy up the place. Is that weird? :P In Refugees though I built over all the coal mine spaces and got grumpy the deposits still block building.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
So I started playing Fall of Winterhome and now it's 3am.

I did use the tip to springboard some stuff by a day, not that important in the end I think. Though remembering you can is handy for fitting in buildings too

I managed to fully do it but the end was a big rush scrapping every spare house and resource depot I could. My desire to make prosthetics actually set me up decently, though I wish I'd researched Outpost speed earlier (always so much to research though, and I didn't get shift laws for ages, priorities.) I had just had my "This is the last time you can do this" event.

The map does have what seems like a gotcha at the start though. The snow pit for corpses in within the generators heat zone. Got lot a of sick. That or child labor even in nice conditions wears the buggers out.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I like Snow Pit for Organ transplant too. They are less useful if you put them in a heat zone though. I don't know if you get a warning over them.

It feels hard to justify Hothouses usually. Though I guess Foreman/Agitator/Shrine buffs work and you can automaton or long shift them.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I poked at the Endless Mode Builder option and aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I was foolish enough to try it on the rifts map too. Probably screwed this run but any tips? Also do things that usually wipe out wipe still wipe them out?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I poked at that without doing Last Autumn. You have to manage cold snaps and storms without a generator. Seems scary to me.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Or, having recently listened to the old Watch Out For Fireballs on Frostpunk.

"Yes I became a dictator and had daily executions during the storm to maintain power. But humanity survived and the Captain will someday die."

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Congratulations! How horrible did you have to be?

Now try the other scenarios! (Maybe after a break to clear your head.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Some of the pivots scenarios ask for side-goals are pretty big. I think I frantically ran like 6 upgraded hothouses or seomthing.