Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
What I don't really like about the game's sense of morality, is that it somehow expects me to maintain a relative utopia; horrible work conditions would be common back in London, and the concept of children's rights were pretty non-existent in Victorian society.

It's like, okay, maybe making a completely totalitarian society might be a hosed up thing to do even to save the species, but I shouldn't be chastised not for abolishing child labour in the 1880's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Ephemeron posted:

"Was the British Empire worth it?"

The past was definitely not worth the present.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Ah figures, to be honest I finished with the Good ending. It just rubbed me the wrong way that we maintained our humanity despite our "adaptation" to the crisis by practising:

Child labour
14 hour shifts
Overcrowding and general squalor

Like that's not adaptation. That's literally just continuing like before.

[edit] You should get some kind of pat on the back for making a better world by NOT using them is what I'm saying. We survived and became better for it.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 13, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The game really lacks a real Iron Man mode to truly tap it's potential for suspense.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

The game really lacks a real Iron Man mode to truly tap it's potential for suspense.

Yay!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The entire design is rather thermodynamically questionable. Just like having the life giving generator spew out heat into the wasteland through the big hole on the top.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's exhaust for the smoke, because it's a furnace.

There's an absurd amount of heat escaping, just saying.

Speedball posted:

Though frankly this world needs MORE global warming.

Isn't one of the in-game reasonings for the cold (apart from the loving Sun dimming) that the atmosphere is thick with light-blocking junk?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 2, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

just 19th century science being hilariously wrong about everything just like in real life.

I still have hope for humanity to escape into the warm safety of the hollow earth. The city is already near the north pole, it should be easy!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I want to know what's going on at the equator.

Brits exterminated everyone Congo-style to finance the reactors.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The initial cold was actually overstated, and the Late Victorian markets had a traditional mega-overreaction. Aided by a naive scientificist faith in the predictions of rather questionable scientists like Tesla, the British Empire as an whole started grinding the world up in a wild frenzy to secure their future. This, not too unlike the (now never happening) Great War, the rest of the Great Powers were similarly drawn into this mad arms race.

The truth is that the Great Winter would soon have passed, if not for the industrial nations of the late 19th century burning the entire globe into ash.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Also, don't forget that you can set hubs to automatically shut down after work hours. Plus you should use the heat map to turn off any excessive heating should the temperature rise, better insulation, etc. Coal consumption can be kept to a minimum through careful management.

e: It's a pretty good thing tbh. You can't really limit your consumption of other resources, besides from putting sawdust in bread or researching super-houses.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 6, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

boar guy posted:

game updated, by the way:

- - - GENERAL NOTES - - -

Building grid revamped - it is now easier to fit an optimal number of buildings within an area. Also, buildings will expand to adjacent, otherwise unusable single-cell spaces, resulting in cleaner layouts.

Hell yeah. The setting in general made it feel pretty awkward to leave a bunch of well heated empty plots.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Speaking of cheesing, turns out you can pause the game in Winterhome, dismantle a BUNCH of useless roads and get shitloads of wood immediately right off the bat.

e: shitload might be overstating it a bit, but still means starting building 5+ gathering posts before 8 am

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 27, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Yeah, as it is, it's free wood.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Aaaand I've just replaced all the medical outposts manned by skilled experts, with praying houses operated by literal children.

e: they now do organ transplants

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 28, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Huh, squeezed out 250 starving people, mostly children, on Hard difficulty. While the steel production was going steady, I failed to notice the declining food surpluses.
By day 17 the generator went out at -70, at a time people were already freezing. I had about two empty cabins, and about 70% of the food needed to feed all the passengers.

The game noted that we probably hosed up by only sending 25 engineers, but technically we managed to evacuate!

e: also people kept dying from lack of treatment despite plenty of free medical space. my theory is that 100% of some dumbly placed medical outpost caught the cold, immediately emptying the patients into the streets to cross half the city to the next one. Actually managing to get hope above 50% was pretty hard, given periodical deaths.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 5, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

I wonder how temperature works in endless mode.
e: Like how it will drop, because it pretty much can't drop forever.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 18, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Patch is out and it's a biggun.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Endless Mode is pretty much just a custom scenario of ~50 days, and it works pretty well for that. The storms stay the same after that and there's nothing much more to do, but at that point it's time to accept that it's over and quit.

From playing on hard in the narrow valley on survival, I guess there could be some rebalancing to keep it more tense, as the first storm is basically the hardest one, but for a mode they didn't actually plan to add it's quite good.

Also I didn't feel too bad about being a dystopian tyrant, as the game never scolded me for it.

e: Like, we are going through -120 storms on the regular, and since the founding one singular person died due to an event. gently caress yeah, I'm comfortable to call myself the Snow Pope, you sheep owe your lives to me.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 30, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The Generator gives, and it takes.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

double nine posted:

I had all of them, basically. A few londoners left, but my city housed ~630 people, and I'd pretty much researched everything. My city was pretty much illness-free. The only issue was that once the storm hit, the number started ticking up fast, and I was unable to deal with the massive, sudden buildup of ill people.

are houses of healing actually worth it? the description made me keep away from them because I thought they might be a little too pray the frostbite away.

They are absolutely worth it. If sick people in large numbers are a problem, a few praying houses manned by literal children will save tons of lives.

[edit] The alternative being wandering around in the frost aimlessly until they double over. They will not stay at home and have chicken soup under ANY circumstances.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 11, 2019

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

In my headcanon, houses of healing are so efficient because of the many wrong assumptions of late-victorian medicine.

So instead of having a bunch of engineers doing dubious experiments in a tent, you rather provide the sick with a warm bed, and rest of body and mind.

Which, in a scenario where people are mostly getting sick through exposure, overwork and stress, turns out to work rather well.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

It shouldn't affect the achievement, since that specifically lists cold, hunger, sickness or overwork. The dead poet neither, or even stuffing a child into the generator.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

So having played New Home on survival, I'll have to say that the game balance is a bit off. The first 5-10 days are brutal as hell, but getting out of that in one piece and the rest of the scenario is a breeze by comparison.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Does dismantling the surplus streets still net you 80+ wood? Because that made the first few days a LOT easier.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Some self declared red guards took it upon themselves to shoot 10 engineers, and apparently this made the entire reactor project moot because we became the monster. WAS IT WORTH IT??! Yes, and it would have been even if the reactor never got finished. gently caress those engineers

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Yeah I get it. Shooting people without a trial is not really a good thing in general. But then I played siding with the engineers, and already a lot more than ten workers have been killed in strike breaking alone.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

But yeah, I realize that the developers are siding with the labourers pretty heavily in the DLC. Worker militias or literal slave labour camps as the penultimate laws? Yeah.

e: tbh, I'd say it's actually a weak point of the Last Autumn. The original law books both provide a nice slide into insanity from beginning with the basic need for hope and security.

The labour laws pretty much gives you the decision of going hardcore Victorian slave industry, or just saying gently caress off with that and eventually shooting the bastards. And since siding with the unions seems mechanically better, it's not even a choice between being pragmatic or humane.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 29, 2020

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

I guess I missed something here. My impression was that the "side with the workers" path seemed to be a lot more cynical and violent, whereas the engineers path was more about more process and optimization. I thought "Huh, they sure make a dictatorship of the proletariat not look too appealing", maybe because of Poland's experience with USSR-exported Marxism-Leninism? I felt like they were pretty biased towards intelligentsia in some of the choices offered, but I also haven't seen the end of the engineering tree, maybe it's as brutal as the state terror and executions path?

You're putting up watchtowers with armed guards to supervise the workers right off the bat. Then you institutionalize strike breaking, import prison labourers, and finally arrest any remaining non-prisoner workers for technicalities. It's just grim from the start.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

"Revocation of privileges" is kind of weird, in that it implies sending the engineers into the pit as well, but in practice it just means being able to quickly man extra sick tents in emergencies. You'll probably not have a surplus of idle engineers unless you specifically tried to.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Playing last autumn again, on hard this time, and why is "revocation of privileges" some regrettable sacrifice? Stuffing the workers with cocaine pills, running continuous 12 hour night shifts, piling the poors on top of each others into medical tents, is not mentioned. Also apparently giving workers prosthetics (which is lauded by said amputees) instead of sending them back as invalids to a collapsing London is also bad?

I'm getting mixed messages from the game proper and the endgame evaluation here, please help.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The workers seemed really happy by the prospect of the engineers getting their lilly white hands dirty. Which didn't even happen, as I was just massing research with workers in the end to finish up the last upgrades.

e: the engineers had to drink tea with the workers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

that still doesnt answer my question of why this is somehow worse than all the other stuff i did

prosthetics and sharing tea time, WAS IT WORTH IT?