Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just got this game and I'm loving it except I am not loving the way the autosave has its date and in-game day updated in the load menu but on loading you find out not actually been saving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've only been playing the base game so far, but I'm having a blast.
As far as I can tell the expansions just add more scenarios, but I've just bought them and I'll let you know if they alter the original as well.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Any new news recently about project tvadg-whatever? I remember hearing that the name was some sort of cypher for the word reconquest, which is interesting, but doesn't help to nail down much of what the dlc would actually be about.
Apparently called "On The Edge"
https://www.pcgamer.com/frostpunks-final-expansion-now-has-a-teaser-trailer-and-a-better-name-than-tvadgycgjr/

The article text mentions more internal strife in the city, but the teaser voiceover says "They say that the snow is dead. But we've learned to the contrary."
Some kind of external threat?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
We survived, with the generator at about 97-98% stress when the storm broke.
Tense but exhilarating!

The time lapse was pretty cool, too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tylana posted:

Congratulations! How horrible did you have to be?

Not very.

I'm obsessive about perfect layouts so I googled for some and noticed that had way more food gathering than you'd expect to just maintain levels, and I'd heard there was a huge storm at the end so I ended up with 10+ days of food and coal
I also scrubbed and restarted a bunch of times to get a good first few days, although in retrospect I left scouting later than I should have and could have had more population earlier.

Generator range feels like a trap for people who don't read numbers real good.

Edit: it also really helped me get in the mood that winter's just started here and I'm sitting in my room with the window open and my fingers cold.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
First time I played Endless Builders mode I found 6 steam cores after the first storm. I started a new game and still nothing after the third.

Trying to go for the vegetarian option this run and all I find are groups of 70 survivors and never a loving steam core

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tehan posted:

I read somewhere that steam cores are (almost?) always on the outermost 'ring' of locations, so if you're only checking the ones closest to your settlement that might be why you're not getting any.

I gave up and read the wiki page on scouting, and made a list of the location names that usually yield steam cores. I justify this with the Captain instructing the scouts that steam cores vital for the city to persevere, and to accordingly pay more attention to anything that looks like it may contain one.

The landmarks that yield cores are:
Huge Crate
Isolated Shelter
Lone Automaton
Research Outpost
Scattered Sleds
Snowbound Dreadnought
Steam Lorry
Supply Trailer
Upright Sled
Whalers Cabin

I have had one of those be directly adjacent to my city, after the second? third? storm

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Speedball posted:

Jesus. The Endless variant where you have to build the generator from scratch is...tricky. Hard enough to scrounge the resources but you have to deal with workplace safety and ventilators. At least the storms are infrequent and the temperature is relatively livable (since, you know, no generator).

No generator also means no automatons. That's rough...

On the other hand, you start with a decently-sized workforce, 5 steam cores (at least on medium difficulty) and a bunch of wood and steel in the form of the ruins. In a way, the start is easier than A New Home.

Note also that you can produce and stockpile all the generator materials before starting to actually build the structure. From memory, if there's no toxic gases then only one of the factories still needs a ventilator to be safe after doing the associated research.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Truga posted:

wait, they added an endless mode with no generator?

i know what i'm spending my money on. does the generator get built eventually, followed by worse storms or is it permanent "last autum" thing?

You rebuild an exploded generator, with a 24-hour storm every 12 days (48 hours from the fifth storm onward). This gives you your effective time limit to get it finished and turned on.
On the plus side, you have more citizens (125 instead of 80) and a bunch more resources in the form of ruins, and 5 steam cores instead of one.

Once you have the generator up it's standard Endless mode, with relics, and storms at regular intervals.

Edit: Oh yeah, of course no hubs or automatons until the generator's switched on. Better tech up to houses and insulation ASAP.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 17, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
As far as I know it's stuff like overdrive being gimped by having stress rise quicker or never drop below a certain value, or nerfs to hubs like reduced radius or a cap on hub numbers.

Note that the flaws don't apply when you use extra steam exchangers to advance work 20%, only when you use the instant-complete button.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In the endless builders scenario that's much less pressing, as you start out with a larger workforce. I go for engineer apprentices and get the medical bonus from snow pits and transplantation instead. Discontent is not an issue as Order gives you guard towers and patrols to easy suppress it even without going down the fash parts of the tree.
Engineer apprentices is vital because you really need to be upgrading houses, heaters and insulation as soon as possible. I've only played on Normal mode but you can have houses with full insulation by the first storm if you plan appropriately, which means you don't get dozens of frostbite cases from that storm, and so don't lose the first few days afterwards just to healing your workforce.

You're taking Order in The Builders mode because the Foreman ability lets you complete most of the generator construction stages in a single day, and each stage is a separate structure so the cooldown doesn't carry over to subsequent stages.

Edit: checking the wiki, the medic apprentices bonus is only active in the same hours as engineer apprentices (11:00-18:00), which makes it less than a 6% bonus over a 24-hour period.

Edit 2: even with extended shifts you only get a 14-hour day in workshops, which makes the effective bonus from engineer apprentices 10%

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 17, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Steam cores seizing (-90% to all steam core buildings) is the lamest, least fun random event.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just did an Endless run up to day 60 or so, and the settlements were a let-down. I fully upgraded all of them, and I got jack poo poo for it. After each storm one settlement will be in trouble and need help, and if I have another upgraded settlement with good will then I can... exhaust all that good will to save the troubled settlement, and save myself like 200 wood or coal or food or something else that I will always have thousands of.

As icing on the cake there appears to be a bug that removes all the benefits for upgrading settlement production, as they always give the pitiful starting amount when you trade, regardless of what the tooltip says they will send you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I much preferred the scenario where you rebuild the exploded generator. You don't have intermediate deadlines, just the upcoming storm that will wipe you out if you don't have it online by that point.