Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My theories are that if Sensei has decision making powers he either thinks the lunarians are sinners and don't deserve to be prayed away to nirvana. Or he wishes that humans will one day return and for that he needs the soul, flesh, and bone to all exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I think Ishikawa is actually going for something much more existential here. Aechmea tells Phos that the Lunarians can be freed by prayer, and that Sensei has been failing to pray for them. But all we have is Aechmea's word on the matter--the desperate theory of a desperate man in desperate pain. A man taking millennia-old scripture as "reliably established facts."

And I think we've already seen the truth:

Kongō's been praying this whole time. It doesn't matter. It was never in his power to free their souls.

And I think that once the Lunarians realize that the Prince's crusade has been meaningless, the moon poo poo is gonna hit the moon fan. And the poor gems duped by Phos will be in the middle of it.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 29, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
he did absolve the doggo and board from sin though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wasn't it said that they moved on on their own because they were satisfied having met sensei

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

lets hang out posted:

wasn't it said that they moved on on their own because they were satisfied having met sensei

you can't trust a robot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

The real real question is why can't the gems and jellyfish do the praying. If it's true that Sensei is a robot they're more human than he is.

I had the same idea when the twist was revealed. I wonder if the endgame here will be Phos doing the praying, eventually.

edit: another good theory, mentioned above, is that praying doesn't do poo poo, and they have to forgive and reach Nirvana themselves, like the board or the dog.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 29, 2017

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Maybe Phos has gold arms so they can do all the praying at once.

Japhers @ tumblr. Sadly most of the best pixiv artists hate reposting or I would do nothing but post gem art in this thread until you all begged me to stop.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Counterpoint to those saying Lunarians must forgive themselves as sinners before they can move on: Cicada is an extremely good person who has never done anything wrong in their life.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Pierson posted:

Counterpoint to those saying Lunarians must forgive themselves as sinners before they can move on: Cicada is an extremely good person who has never done anything wrong in their life.

I disagree with the idea that the Lunarians need "forgiveness." That's a very Christian sort of theosophy, and Ichikawa seems much more interested in semi-Buddhist ideas. If I had to wager, I'd say the Lunarians are trapped by their own desires, or perhaps by their own egos. (Which would make sense thematically, since HnK is obsessed with nothing so much as the notion of selfhood.)

Shiro, being a dog or at least the approximation of a dog, had very simple desires. Stripped of the need for food, shelter, sex, the general lower Maslow poo poo, all he had left to desire was the love and safety of his pack--that is, Sensei. And after receiving that last bit of affection from Sensei, Shiro was contented, and could go in peace.

But the Lunarians, being human, have much clingier desires, and more elaborate senses of self. On the lowest level, we have the gem-greedy hordes that represent desires for wealth, beauty, status, et cetera. On the highest level, we have Aechmea himself: invested in his role as the Prince even as he demurs from it, obsessed with finding external salvation for himself and his people, driven by vision to the point of atrocity. (His commitment to his ego is visible in his shifting psychic costume. The suit, the lab coat, the raiment of a bodhisattva, all symbols of authority.)

And this is maybe a better explanation for Cicada. Not an guilty creature, or a sinner in need of redemption. Desire is not inherently evil, nor is a sense of selfhood as distinct from the universe. But they do lead to suffering and isolation. And the empty tranquility of the void is a much harder, more terrifying thing to embrace. It's no mark against Cicada that he can't effortlessly surrender himself to oblivion.

But it would be very nice if he and his fellows stopped their genocidal crusade as a means of shortcutting enlightenment.

disclaimer I'm not buddhist or any kind of religious scholar, i am some rando bitch on the internet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
fyi the digital manga is on sale right now for ~$5 each which finally helped me to decide which version to get

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

fyi the digital manga is on sale right now for ~$5 each which finally helped me to decide which version to get

Link? edit: I suppose you meant amazon/comixiology
https://www.amazon.com/Land-Lustrous-Issues-4-Book/dp/B078MPJRLX/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1514654355&sr=8-12&keywords=land+of+the+lustrous

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh yeah sorry, I was assuming everyone already knew Kodansha was the publisher and it's their sale

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wild Horses posted:

you can't trust a robot.

It's a doggo, I doubt they are even capable of sinning. He just wanted to see his master before going to dog nirvana.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Chapter 64 is out https://mangadex.com/chapter/12159/1

apparently Sensei hasn't referred to Phos by name since they returned from the moon?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 25, 2018

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

God Red Diamond is precious

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Just how long exactly did Sensei wander the empty earth before finding the firstborn gems? I feel like 'evolution of an entire new kind of life' probably took a while. Did the Lunarians know he was down there the whole time?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Chapter 64 is out https://mangadex.com/chapter/12159/1

apparently Sensei hasn't referred to Phos by name since they returned from the moon?

It seems so. But I don't think he is retiring her name's because she is a traitor, but because he recognizes she changed at this point too much. Ship of thesseus,etc.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Squidster posted:

Just how long exactly did Sensei wander the empty earth before finding the firstborn gems? I feel like 'evolution of an entire new kind of life' probably took a while. Did the Lunarians know he was down there the whole time?

We're talking about something based on Budhism, which includes beings on other realms (devas) that live for more than a billion years, so it probably took a while.

Lol, I just checked wikipedia and...

quote:

Avīci । अभिचि – the "uninterrupted" Naraka. Life in this Naraka is 339,738,624*1010 years long.

quote:

The basic unit of time measurement is the mahākalpa or "Great Eon" (Jpn: 大劫 daigō; देवनागरीः महाकल्प / महाकप्प). The length of this time in human years is never defined exactly, but it is meant to be very long, to be measured in billions of years if not longer.

So yeah, a while

trucutru fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 25, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I like how the gems look when they are first born. I wonder if sensei gave them eyes to see with or if he just thought eye holes were too creepy lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Why the chapters have to be so short despite being a monthly manga, dammit. ;_;

trucutru posted:

We're talking about something based on Budhism, which includes beings on other realms (devas) that live for more than a billion years, so it probably took a while.

Lol, I just checked wikipedia and...

So yeah, a while

Actually, the sun will evaporate the oceans in 1 billion years so this story it is scientifically inaccurate!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 25, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

Why the chapters have to be so short despite being a monthly manga, dammit. ;_;

Actually, the sun will evaporate the oceans in 1 billion years so this story it is scientifically inaccurate!

Since the humans apparently survived six extra extintion-level events before finally going kaput, the story is probably set way after they discovered how to tame the sun, so it's hard sci-fi.

Xun posted:

I like how the gems look when they are first born. I wonder if sensei gave them eyes to see with or if he just thought eye holes were too creepy lol

It's pretty clear that he just wanted them to look like humans, who don't usually wander around without eyes.

Sensei is a great character but boy, does he have issues do to his nature.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

trucutru posted:

Since the humans apparently survived six extra extintion-level events before finally going kaput, the story is probably set way after they discovered how to tame the sun, so it's hard sci-fi.

It's pretty clear that he just wanted them to look like humans, who don't usually wander around without eyes.

Sensei is a great character but boy, does he have issues do to his nature.

The first 5 predate humans. The fifth one wiped out the dinosaurs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was cool. I'm glad we got to see pre-sculpting gems.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh of course that's why they do themselves up.

E: re the possibility of betrayal, I think it's way more interesting if the Lunarians are just shooting straight with Phos so of I hope it stays that way

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 27, 2018

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've binge read all the available chapters, and I'm just standing here after everything like... :pwn:

I like Cicada. I hope he isn't evil.

I wonder why Sensei isn't doing prayers anymore. Is it merely a fault in the programming, or is it a conscious decision? Sensei pls.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

EagerSleeper posted:

I've binge read all the available chapters, and I'm just standing here after everything like... :pwn:

I like Cicada. I hope he isn't evil.

I wonder why Sensei isn't doing prayers anymore. Is it merely a fault in the programming, or is it a conscious decision? Sensei pls.

My opinion is that he still prays and it just doesn't work on principle.
After all he said he's tired of praying.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Happy Nirvana/Parinirvana Day! Remember to do your prayers, be at peace, and send some sinful souls on their way!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Lurking Haro posted:

My opinion is that he still prays and it just doesn't work on principle.
After all he said he's tired of praying.

Well he was able to send the dog and that one other lunarian on their way, but they were ones he had personal connections to if I'm not misremembering things. So at a guess, it's a tad bit more complicated than them just needing generic prayer.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Eopia posted:

Well he was able to send the dog and that one other lunarian on their way, but they were ones he had personal connections to if I'm not misremembering things. So at a guess, it's a tad bit more complicated than them just needing generic prayer.

I don't think he had any role in making them move on except being there for them.
The lunarians hanging out on the moon and repeating the same daily life won't make them move on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aaaaa

https://mangadex.com/chapter/110980/1

so phos always fucks up, but by being willing to do so they provided motive force for a static society. sensei didn't get shocked into praying, but instead he was shocked into honesty and now he can work together with the gems to move forward. unfortunately, i don't think there will be a place for phos in whatever form their new society eventually takes any more than there was in the original society. what really sucks for phos is that they already tried talking with sensei before taking more drastic measures but they couldn't get through to him.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think Sensei really honestly tried to pray right there but couldn't. He's broken, not unwilling.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That translation was a bit odd. Either Sensei speaks in a really round-about way or the translators were having some trouble articulating what he's saying.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I really hate that the manga scans gender the gems, it's such a lovely and also almost totally arbitrary thing

bleh

and yeah a lot of the dialogue here was kind of hard to parse, especially Adam's

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I really hate that the manga scans gender the gems, it's such a lovely and also almost totally arbitrary thing

bleh

and yeah a lot of the dialogue here was kind of hard to parse, especially Adam's

What do you think the translators do instead? I believe there are some grammar/clarity problems using they instead of a gendered pronouns, and trying to resolve well is possibly above the translator's skill level. For awhile there the translations were entirely done by some guy who doesn't know japanese with google translate. I mean hell this chapter proves that the translators still aren't so great at clarity, even if Sensei is speaking in a weird roundabout way.

I personally think using male pronouns for the gems is a good compromise, since most people think they appear more feminine than androgynous due to the butts and hairstyles.

Ninja edit: on rereading I realize this could sound sarcastic, but I'm being 100% sincere :v: I just think it is interesting thinking about how to refer to someone without needing gender in English

Xun fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 25, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the official translation has no problem with using non-gendered pronouns and being pretty clear about it. i suppose i don't really expect a free fan tl to be on the same level, but it is still jarring and out of place to me every time i read the male pronouns. whether or not it is significantly harder, the translators obviously don't care to preserve this ambiguity (which is intentional on Ichikawa's part) and so they just go for the easy option and translate the pronouns as male.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
"They" and "Them" or just using their names is perfectly comprehensible in my opinion. Defaulting to masculine ruins a lot of the author's intentional gemder ambiguity.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is it really that ambiguous when the anime just makes them all cute girls anyway?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Is it really that ambiguous when the anime just makes them all cute girls anyway?

it is when they still have the menswear/schoolboy influenced clothing, purposely cast multiple VAs known for androgynous voices, and include the gems that aren't femme

also the sea king has breasts

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I like how this is wrong in two ways, cause you are wrong in calling them girls in the anime, and also it sounds like you are implying they weren't cute before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/4_fnf/status/952972949325201408