Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp. That was an extremely casual timeskip, wasn't it

Also, was this the very first time we've seen Adamant go directly against the earth gems' wishes? Even if it was basically in secret.

I absolutely love Adamant's expression on that last page. He's just utterly horrified by what he's caused, through a rigid hierarchy even he cannot escape. It's no small accomplishment to look more horrified than the shoddy gold/gem mess screaming at you to fulfill your basic function.

This story is absolutely loving impossible to predict, holy hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
terrible things happening to phos are very easy to predict at this point.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/Remilia_vee/status/1132487962506063872?s=19

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It loving sucks that everyone on the moon just stopped restoring the broken gems. Like what the hell. Lunarians and the gems both don't give a poo poo

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

It loving sucks that everyone on the moon just stopped restoring the broken gems. Like what the hell. Lunarians and the gems both don't give a poo poo

Everyone stopped giving poo poo, outside of Adamant and maybe Phos. Adamant outright said that Earth gems forgot about Phos.

At least Lunarians are no longer attacking I guess? :smith:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

The story seems to make a point about gems being both kinda vapid and extremely static. Like, obsessively and helplessly resistant to change.

Hell, even the arguably smartest gem around can't do anything but ask Adamant to pray, forever and ever. They know they're stuck in a torturous stalemate, yet they can't break out in any way.

If Phos is the only one able to cause any change whatsoever, why can't it happen through succeeding once :smith:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah Phos represents change, though through suffering.

The moon gems are interesting, they definitely changed and adapted to the Lunarian lifestyle (far better than I expected) but it still fucks me up that they don't give a poo poo about restoring the broken gems. Do it for Yellow's sake goddamn.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

boredsatellite posted:

The moon gems are interesting, they definitely changed and adapted to the Lunarian lifestyle (far better than I expected) but it still fucks me up that they don't give a poo poo about restoring the broken gems. Do it for Yellow's sake goddamn.

The gems who went to the moon didn't do it because they believed in Phos' cause, but because Phos promised them fulfillment on the Moon. Those that adapted were those who got what they wanted.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

That might be another facet of gem psychology: they tend to form crystal patterns, and that means including themselves in existing patterns. They even have a god-like figure in their midst again. It's the same thing all over again.

Now, restoring someone who's gone? That's disturbing the pattern. There is no void left by anyone, they've got a new structure of infinite cloud people, and aside from Yellow, they barely have any connection to those gems who were taken (and in some cases, even succeeded by gems from the same material). For Phos, the restoration started due to Antarctica and Ghost Quartz, but she proceeded anyway when that proved impossible. The others don't care, except Yellow, who's currently nuts.

Gems lack abstract empathy, y'all

Or they care a lot about moon snails, dunno

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Are they still letting the snails all die of natural causes before they restart gem restoration? Or is even that long-term plan on indefinite hiatus now.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I have to believe that the scientist guy is still doing that if anything else in preparation of having the project get restarted

The timeskip can be used for good right? Right?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is such an amazing shitshow. :allears:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Well I've spent the past several days blazing through this marvelous gem (pun intended) of a manga, and man oh man did I pick a bad time to start given this new timeskip. I need the next chapter badly, especially since, aside from some confusion during some of the battle scenes, the manga's been nothing short of fantastic.

Also I'm sorry OP, but Rutile is the best gem.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
New chapter

Uh i know this of course is no where close to the biggest reveal/development in this chapter, but lmao
idol

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 26, 2019

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

everyone passes on except for the one gem who wants to die i'm flipping my poo poo over this

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Snooze Cruise posted:

New chapter

Uh i know this of course is no where close to the biggest reveal/development in this chapter, but lmao
idol

Uh clearly the big development is Xtreme Sk8r Gemz

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did this get axed or something?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Did this get axed or something?

Nah, doesn't seem like it

They only just started the 21 minutes countdown, and we haven't even seen any of the effects down on earth yet, where it should happen sooner

And there's no fuckin way things are just gonna go down as Achmea imagined they would

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Torquemadras posted:

Nah, doesn't seem like it

They only just started the 21 minutes countdown, and we haven't even seen any of the effects down on earth yet, where it should happen sooner

And there's no fuckin way things are just gonna go down as Achmea imagined they would

The name of the next chapter is literally “End”.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

motherfucker

you can't just end the chapter like that again

ahhhh

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

The name of the next chapter is literally “End”.

It's literally the end of this chapter, not the title of the next one.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

It's literally the end of this chapter, not the title of the next one.

And here I was getting all confused

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wow, I’m a dipshit.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

New chapter

idol

Something interesting I saw pointed out elsewhere: Phos' reforming arms in the last panel of page 2 look strikingly like the human arm's bone structure.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Head Canon is Dia was singing "They were a skater gem, they said see you later, gem."

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the manga could end next chapter with everyone vaporizing and i wouldn't be surprised

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hooray, finally Phos suffered enough, time to free everyone from samsara. :toot:

Dia is the best. Who's the skateboarding gem?

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
I'm gonna guess Padparadscha.

Radparadscha

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i dont think i could handle padparadscha getting even MORE 90’s

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New chapter and I could barely make out what was happening in half the pages in it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I mostly got it but I can't remember what's with that box Phos is trying to reach

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
That's her old clipboard, from when she was thinking of things that Cinabarr could do, the chapter ends with her in Cinabarr's cave.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Phos when I said you were looking kinda Bloodborne that was not an invitation to try to look extremely Bloodborne!!!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Looks like phos is finally gonna get the last treasure of Buddhism (carnelian) from pad. Excited to see where it goes from here

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
phos is lookin good

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Phos' suffering now has a chart!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Grouchio posted:

Phos' suffering now has a chart!

Same

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Another chapter dropped! It's been so long since Phos saw their friends. I can't wait for them to catch up with each other!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Uuuh, Phos? You are kinda scaring me here, buddy.:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
All existence is suffering, but being Phosphophyllite is particularly bad suffering.