Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pretty reasonable plan by Phos, they can always put the other gems back together afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
there's really not much to say about the past 3 chapters other than

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just caught up and I really am amazed by how much everything's changed. Like if you told me originally my most absolutely despised characters would be the earth gems I would've been pretty shocked. Seriously gently caress bort, gently caress cinnabar (don't give a gently caress about their need for approval or social inclusion or w/e, rip them apart phos), gently caress all of em. I want Phos to just go the Thing on them at this point, Bortz is seriously the worst, just like unilaterally stopping Third Impact...just cuz. And the way basically every earth gem constantly seems to react to Phos by immediately trying to rip them into pieces and scatter them around the globe now what the gently caress y'all. This is PHOS NOT OSIRIS.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just caught up and I really am amazed by how much everything's changed. Like if you told me originally my most absolutely despised characters would be the earth gems I would've been pretty shocked. Seriously gently caress bort, gently caress cinnabar (don't give a gently caress about their need for approval or social inclusion or w/e, rip them apart phos), gently caress all of em. I want Phos to just go the Thing on them at this point, Bortz is seriously the worst, just like unilaterally stopping Third Impact...just cuz. And the way basically every earth gem constantly seems to react to Phos by immediately trying to rip them into pieces and scatter them around the globe now what the gently caress y'all. This is PHOS NOT OSIRIS.

Funny how the 'gently caress the gems' has now a different sense than it had at first...
sorry for the bad joke

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The thing is, Phos was (and still is) wrong about everything. We now know that Adamant had a drat good reason for not praying and even the whole thing about him being cryptic and mysterious was a result of his lovely programming instead of some kind of malice. Meanwhile the side-effect of Achmea's goal is a literal genocide of all intelligent life left on Earth and he is completely ok with it. So yeah, Phos was wrong in distrusting Adamant. Phos was wrong in going to the Moon. Phos was wrong in trusting Achmea. Phos was wrong in returning and bringing other gems with them to the Moon. Phos was wrong in trying to get Adamant pray. And looking at their current mental state, I'm not too hot about hoping that next thing they'll try to do will turn out better. From perspective of earth gems, who have to live with consequences of Phoses decisions, Phos is literally Satan. And well...they are not wrong.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

The thing is, Phos was (and still is) wrong about everything. We now know that Adamant had a drat good reason for not praying and even the whole thing about him being cryptic and mysterious was a result of his lovely programming instead of some kind of malice. Meanwhile the side-effect of Achmea's goal is a literal genocide of all intelligent life left on Earth and he is completely ok with it. So yeah, Phos was wrong in distrusting Adamant. Phos was wrong in going to the Moon. Phos was wrong in trusting Achmea. Phos was wrong in returning and bringing other gems with them to the Moon. Phos was wrong in trying to get Adamant pray. And looking at their current mental state, I'm not too hot about hoping that next thing they'll try to do will turn out better. From perspective of earth gems, who have to live with consequences of Phoses decisions, Phos is literally Satan. And well...they are not wrong.

I disagree in the Phos was wrong in returning and bringing other gems with them to the Moon part.
I think it's positive some Gems discovered new things and interests in life, and interacted with other beings and grew as persons, it beats being in their static eternal microcosm in their small island.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It was also massive betrayal from the perspective of the earth gems and made any possibility of peaceful resolution a lot more difficult, if not outright impossible. It's the main reason why the current attempt at negotiation by Phos ended how it ended. While it may have an upside in allowing an individual growth for moon gems, it still made the overall situation a lot worse.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just want to see this whole thing burn down. :unsmigghh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The gems on Earth are bascially fighting for a perpetual status quo where nothing really ever changes or progresses forever. Achmea is pushing for oblivion. A change in the status quo. Phos and the gems that went with them, ultimately were not satisfied with the status quo as it was on Earth and left to change with Phos basically being the epicenter of that drive to change. The remaining gems on Earth largely can't see an existence all that different than what they were doing before and can't envision a future all that different either. Anything that's upset that vision is viewed as anathema, justifiably or unjustifiably so. Phos, otoh, merely seeks to upset the quo and make things change (for the universal better under their assumption), because they see that as a good thing. Neither are necessarily wrong, imo.

Phos did nothing/everything wrong and that's okay. The path to enlightenment is built upon the greatest suffering and the one who's suffered most is Phos.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I think one of my favorite things about this manga is how it takes common stereotypes in anime and story telling in general, and flips them on their head by going meaningfully in the opposite way. Cinnabar starts Phos on their quest? Well now they're enemies and that initial promise has been thrown aside! Dia and Bort care about each other, but Bort's abrasiveness is causing conflicts? Dia just fuckin leaves! The villain preaches their philosophy to the protagonist? Phos says, "actually, that makes a lot of sense, I'm switching sides." It's made all character growth both believable, but entirely unpredictable, which has made every chapter and interaction all the more interesting.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Good times all round in the new chapter next chapter might be a slasher episode with Monster-Phos stalking the moon for victims given that weird nightmare

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Next chapter is entirely mooninites sighing and being slightly annoyed when Phos rips them to pieces.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Sindai posted:

Next chapter is entirely mooninites sighing and being slightly annoyed when Phos rips them to pieces.

accurate

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This would be a hell of a season 2, wouldn't it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hell yeah it would. Is Phos Mara now?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I just want to see this whole thing burn down. :unsmigghh:

Well... that's a wish granted, I guess!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The mooninite being annoyed at Phos's spines getting in the way of their outfit is hilarious.

Poor Benito, not really into murder but has a hard time saying no. Very relatable.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I love that Dia is just Phos with a hobby. They're full of self-loathing and murderous anger but are totally willing to put it on hold for an aspiring idol career

The anime adaptation of this part of the story is going to be absolutely insane.

edit: it's fun looking at the picture in this thread's OP after reading the latest chapter lol

Cephas fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 24, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shepface:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Idk if I've mentioned it before or not, but if you like Houseki no Kuni you should do yourself a favor and read the novel Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. It's about a bunch of ghosts (Abraham Lincoln's son included) who are stuck in Tibetan purgatory and the trials and tribulations that comes with that state of existence. For a novel that has Abraham Lincoln as a character it has really unexpectedly a lot in common with Houseki no Kuni (the author is a practicing Buddhist), and the prose style is nothing short of awe-inspiring.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Bring it in Guys!
It's Gemmaster Adamant's Birthday Bash! Every Gem from the Earth and Moon come in with everything for a HUGE Party

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yay party time! :dance:

I really like this chapter. We've spent so much time with Phos recently it's easy to lose perspective.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
This is the last time anyone in this manga will be happy.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
How nice of Phos and Achmea, bringing a proper, festive lightning to Adamant birthday party! :dance:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8qTE3d428s

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
New chapter drat Bort knows how to bring the pain

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Dia doing her best Randy Savage there.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Alexandrite trying to be badass, completely with blindfold and over-the-shoulder defiant remark as they remove their limiter and then instantly fainting instead of going berserk. Phos reaction was perfect too. :allears:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The gems are still dorks confirmed

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
I just realized what Phos looks like now, the Flatwoods Monster. The Phoswoods Monster.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blackfish posted:

I just realized what Phos looks like now, the Flatwoods Monster. The Phoswoods Monster.

Was just about to write that :argh:
Anybody knows about the buddistic relevance of philodendron leaves?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
me: good art
me later: lmao

10/10 chapter

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao dia's most powerful form

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I definitely want that scene to be animated. Just imaging all of the color and lights from Dia's side in contrast with Bort's dark monochrome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Phos trying to :what: with their horrifying mouth of knives is great.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 25, 2020

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OMG dia you fuckin nerd

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

OMG dia you fuckin nerd

Please don't be rude to Phos. They're trying.

Edit: read that as die

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
"Dia-chaaan!"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just caught up. Am considering rewatching the anime though it might make me too sad about lack of season 2.

Also I really enjoyed this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8q7raJMAs&list=PLeFuZCmrcEYb6WtzHbgeOKCF0Cz_r-uXO&index=8&t=0s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter

https://www.mangadex.org/chapter/814357

Whelp...that was brutal