Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«152 »
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I neurotically open all doors from as far away and as at extreme an angle as possible.

Mainly because I'm so bad at shooting that the majority of my kills probably come from surprising people walking through doors without being careful enough.

I close doors behind me like a boyscout leaving a camp ground.

Rex-Goliath
Nov 12, 2016

HIS ROYAL MAJESTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJB8nzMJec#t=236s

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Stealthgerbil posted:

It definitely is when talking about how good guns are because someone with a higher KDR is going to be more familiar with the guns and have more kills overall then someone with a 'cowardly' playstyle. Like if someones playstyle is hiding all game, why would I ever take their advice about which guns to pick? They aren't going to be familiar with how they play out since they are most likely hiding till the end and shooting the last guy in the back. I'll listen to the guy with a 5 KDR who jumps school every game and is familiar with all the guns because they get 3x the kills each play session.

I don't think being a hider/sneaky person is how you get a low KDR! Being a hider/sneaky person is a good way to get a high KDR! This guy (I assume, and if not its because of other factors) has a high KDR and he's not necessarily going to know which sniper you should use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4BGRPNZ-vc

I do agree that on average, the person with the higher KDR is more likely to know which guns to use, but I don't think KDR is a high-quality signal in this regard.

Theres a few ways to get a low KDR and only one of them necessarily means the person doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to which guns are good. If you're just bad at shooting and video games, then sure there's no reason for anyone to listen to you on which guns to use. But there's also being someone who just runs around into the thick of it every single time or is often screwing around trying to win with a glock or whatever.

I'm not amazing but I also for the past couple years spend lots of time optimizing other things. I'm 40 years old and spent 20+ years optimizing KDR and win rates in FPS games... I find as I get older I have a lot of fun trying to win with a revolver or jumping into the School while reading my RSS feeds or trying win as many final circles via vehicular manslaughter as I can.

There's a certain strain of people that just get infuriated by the idea that other people are playing the game with different goals than KDR optimization or the idea that KDR isn't necessarily The One True Metric of Skill. There's someone reading this post right now and they can just feel their blood pressure arising. I know, I was one of them at some point.

If we could do some sort of analysis of everyone with low KDRs where we could extract exactly what percentage of them got that way just because they are bad at choosing a gun then we might be able to say "low KDR = bad opinions about guns". It's certainly within the realm of plausibility. But as it stands I'd listen to anyones opinion if they think they have some good reason for a recommendation.

(anyway, I don't think most people talking about guns in this thread are really recommending guns...just commiserating about what they have fun with)

(mostly I don't think there's a large spread in ability-to-chicken-dinner amongst guns in each class)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Apogee15 posted:

This is wrong. If you aim at someone's head at 100m, you'll be lucky to hit their feet. It goes straight up to about 30m, at which point you will start wanting to aim slightly above the head.

At 100m you should be using the 3rd dot to aim at people. At 50m you use the second.

Sorry, I meant 50m for the top/primary dot. The rest of my post stands re: the trajectory and drop on the crossbow.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

if you make a mark, jump, and then veer off and land somewhere else without changing your mark or saying something before I land, I'm going to loot a shotgun and ignore everything else to TK you.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

I AM A MIAMI DOLPHIN
I AM A WARRIOR AND A
MEMBER OF AN
UNBEATABLE TEAM

Does the new event mode have duos and squads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

It's squads only. Got 3 chicken dinners last night and it was hilarious fun. It's great to just go "gently caress it" and rush enemy squads with the pan and then come out on top.

«152 »