Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

On one hand I applaud them for the sincere and indepth transparency at what went into the decision and more game companys should communicate like that. Valve would have said nothing for 6 years then release Pubg2 with map select randomly with no warning.

On the other hand it does make them look kinda dumb that it took all that to add a choose map checkbox.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
People are getting hung up on "It's just a checkbox." My point was, they discussed at length their inputs and various build models for the IDEA OF MAP SELECTION.

"The idea of map selection" should literally be "let us choose what map we want to play." And in the end, guess what? That is EXACTLY what they ended up doing. Why did it take hundreds of hours of analyzing things to come up with this grandiose idea of how to implement map selection. As I said before, they should have implemented this for a week, gather data from that to see whether it broke a map or not, and go from there. Map selection isn't rocket science. I don't care what the UI looked like (ie: checkbox). They literally ended up with the most basic form of map selection (which is what we all wanted) and apparently spent hundreds of hours analyzing data to give it to us.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
As was pointed out before, we are talking about a UI that can't properly remember what region the user last played in.

Bluehole has to code the UI in binary to make it work.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm really curious what the rejected map selection ideas were

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

radios

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The checkboxes are there and all checked and you can't remove any until you get a checkmark remover out of a crate

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Yea, I have normal color vision and extremely good sight. My point was that whether you have red pants on or beige pants on, I am going to see you. Beige pants do not make it harder for me to spot you.

I was half-kidding, but still: you're not always gonna be scanning your surroundings like a hawk. Sometimes you'll be fighting an enemy and someone will pop out from behind a bush 200m away from you, on your peripheral vision. When that happens it'll be much easier to spot them if they're wearing a clownsuit and not camo clothes.

Elman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 19, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm really curious what the rejected map selection ideas were

all 90+ players vote and then it chooses the least popular

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a PvE mode where you had to fight your way to the correct gate at the airport to get on the right plane.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

all 90+ players vote and then it chooses the least popular

this would be the best

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Trabisnikof posted:

a PvE mode where you had to fight your way to the correct gate at the airport to get on the right plane.

This gets my vote.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Manky posted:

The checkboxes are there and all checked and you can't remove any until you get a checkmark remover out of a crate

alternatively: a chicken dinner on the map you want to skip

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It’s very strange that they seem very afraid of splitting the user base, but when you’re the most popular game ever, you should probably not be too afraid of that. Also, they can always undo or take out any changes, as we’ve seen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and if one of the maps is far less popular improve the map.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

and if one of the maps is far less popular improve the map.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

People are getting hung up on "It's just a checkbox." My point was, they discussed at length their inputs and various build models for the IDEA OF MAP SELECTION.

"The idea of map selection" should literally be "let us choose what map we want to play." And in the end, guess what? That is EXACTLY what they ended up doing. Why did it take hundreds of hours of analyzing things to come up with this grandiose idea of how to implement map selection. As I said before, they should have implemented this for a week, gather data from that to see whether it broke a map or not, and go from there. Map selection isn't rocket science. I don't care what the UI looked like (ie: checkbox). They literally ended up with the most basic form of map selection (which is what we all wanted) and apparently spent hundreds of hours analyzing data to give it to us.

someone had to justify their salary

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

developers should be paid more for having to read dumb comments like that

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Old Binsby posted:

alternatively: a chicken dinner on the map you want to skip

:discourse:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
New Erangel event called Metal Rain. Dynamic weather, 8 man teams (which don't have to be randos), flare guns (that are randomly spawned unlike the custom games), and armored UAZs that drop if you fire the flare outside the safe zone.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

this event looks super fun & I've got a busy weekend planned of doing outside things

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Armored UAZ is really bad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Armored UAZ is really bad.

How slow is it? Would it be good for running fools over if you could get a fleet of 8 of them?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hellsau posted:

How slow is it? Would it be good for running fools over if you could get a fleet of 8 of them?

It’s not super slow, but it still only has 2-3 times the hit points of a regular UAZ. No one can fire out, so it probably only really works well for getting your guys into a compound that’s infested and probably only once. The driver visibility is really bad too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
lol I was thinking of the armored UAZ being some madmax monstrosity with places your dudes can shoot out of reasonably safely or whatever, my heart is broken

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

VulgarandStupid posted:

It’s not super slow, but it still only has 2-3 times the hit points of a regular UAZ. No one can fire out, so it probably only really works well for getting your guys into a compound that’s infested and probably only once. The driver visibility is really bad too.

I shot the tires out of every armored UAZ I saw which was really funny to ruin the enemy teams fun. We also blew up 2 of them, they suck. save your flare guns for weapons.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hellsau posted:

lol I was thinking of the armored UAZ being some madmax monstrosity with places your dudes can shoot out of reasonably safely or whatever, my heart is broken

its a normal uaz with venetians

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The absolute best use of flare guns is to drop them on a staircase you're watching :black101:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ihmemies posted:

I was a yuge nigga with an afro and somehow I got the feeling that I get spotted and hit too easily. Rolled a black bald woman and now I'm top 1%!!

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
What is wrong with you?

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Getting harder and harder to do this because they are mucking up the chances of getting the valuable ones by never totally phasing any of these old lovely crates out.

You have a 10% chance of getting a 5 cent crate and you have a 50% chance of getting a ~ 50 cent crate.

But yes, definitely sell your crates.

steam so garbage by the time the 3 weeks are up and your crates make it onto the auction house they already lost 90% of their value and you need to relist them and wait another 3 weeks and another price drop.

smoke sumthin bitch fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 20, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

steam so garbage by the time the 3 weeks are up and you crates make it onto the auction house they already lost 90% of their value and you need to relist them and wait another 3 weeks and another price drop.

My crates go on the market as soon as I list them :shrug:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

steam so garbage by the time the 3 weeks are up and you crates make it onto the auction house they already lost 90% of their value and you need to relist them and wait another 3 weeks and another price drop.

like, you know why that price drop happens just as the cooloff period for being able to sell your new crate goodies expires, right?

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thom P. Tiers posted:

My crates go on the market as soon as I list them :shrug:

yea cause youre a grampa who still has a phone line and steam is spying on you and selling your infos

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

yea cause youre a grampa who still has a phone line and steam is spying on you and selling your infos

:thunk:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've made about $20 back of the 30 the game costs doing nothing but immediately listing them for a penny less than the lowest on the market as soon as I get them. I generally alternate the two crates until both get to 2400 Pubg bux for the week then stop until the reset.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally decided to stop using the lesser snipers and get into some kar98 action and holy cow is it satisfying to one-shot people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
here's a thought: get the loving steam app on your phone and enable 2FA so you don't have to wait 3 weeks for marketplace trades, goddamn

if you don't have a smartphone just get bluestacks and pop the steam app on it, you'll lose a lot of the actual security benefit of 2FA but it'll bypass the stupid marketplace bullshit

(mine don't go up immediately but i just have to confirm them on my phone which takes like 2 seconds)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Elentor posted:

I finally decided to stop using the lesser snipers and get into some kar98 action and holy cow is it satisfying to one-shot people.

My two favorite things in this game:

kar98 headshots
shooting at vehicles

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

here's a thought: get the loving steam app on your phone and enable 2FA so you don't have to wait 3 weeks for marketplace trades, goddamn

if you don't have a smartphone just get bluestacks and pop the steam app on it, you'll lose a lot of the actual security benefit of 2FA but it'll bypass the stupid marketplace bullshit

(mine don't go up immediately but i just have to confirm them on my phone which takes like 2 seconds)

lol you grandpa gabe has all of your personal e-mails and texts now lol

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thom P. Tiers posted:

My two favorite things in this game:

kar98 headshots
shooting at vehicles

https://i.imgur.com/EhgsQDM.mp4

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I know but you need to have an active cell phone line to even sign up for the authenticator. They wont let me use voip or an email address.