Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Last night, in the red zone, my team mates expressed concern about driving through in a hippie van and I said something like "there's really very few strikes, what are the odds?". We were all dead within the minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd rather have, other than esports, a charity mode or something that lasts 48 hours with a huuuuge map and there are no scheduled breaks. Posts sentries while you sleep gamers, I'll watch highlights when it's done.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I had to pick one complaint it's how grass isn't rendered at long range.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
1 player is "it", wins by getting to an extraction point (and they're super tough). Everyone else has to kill him BUT also levels up by killing other players. So now not everyone is working together and you aren't spending all game working with 98 jerks to find one needle in a 10km haystack.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm new to the game but I've only been playing (and thus dropping) with experienced players, and I don't get these loot concerns. Literally every time we drop we get adequate gear within a minute or two (which I'd describe as at least one assault rifle and at least lv1 of everything, and then we spend the time between the early game and the mid game gaining sniper rifles, or mods, or lv2/3 gear, and stockpiling med and stim. Sometimes we drop in hot zones and die to early gunfights, but we've never landed in some lootless waste land where we end up running to the second or third zone with, like, pistols and a prayer.

I mean, you either drop somewhere good without people and loot in peace, or you drop somewhere with good loot but a lot of players and maybe die. Am I misunderstanding what constitutes good loot, or are people dropping in random 4 building compounds off of single lane dirt track roads and being surprised they couldn't find a full assortment of gear? Or at you guys dropping in, say, the multi story apartment buildings of Pecado and not getting what you need?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This game combines the replayability of an online shooter with that feeling from dark souls and old nes games; you die in the one of final zones and say "wait wait, I see what I did wrong, let me try again!"

That combination of mp competition and single player progression/iteration may be what people see in MOBAs, really. I can't say since they never clicked for me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
25 hours in and got my first chicken dinner. Almost fumbled it because I'd forgotten I'd set the ump down and ofc I forgot to press B after picking it back up. Nothing like moving across that final empty field, pressing LMB, and hearing a single pathetic "spiff" from the silencer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I decided a while ago that the m16a4 is "good enough" and I can always find one, so I'd rather master that then get a random theoretically better gun I've barely shot. It's a plan heavily based on only playing in squads and not having a lot of play time to sink into the game, but it's working well for me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's not that I think any AR can do everything, it's that if my squad finds a SR I'd rather give it to the people who practice with it. For example we won a chicken dinner last night where just about the first gun I found was a mini14. I traded it for a m16a4 asap but it's not like I threw it in the trash. I'd rather have a gun I know I can use well even if it has limitations-I was than effective at a 200+ meter mid game skirmish (no optics) but the team would have been worse off if I'd kept the mini14, not better.

It'd be way different if I was playing solo as anything other than hot drop death match practice for my squad games. And if we somehow found 3+ SRs I could ditch my smg for it because I'm confident I can use the m16a4 in a CQB.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does a chicken dinner taste better if you cook it yourself? I'm not sure; maybe it's always delicious.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When my gaming group isn't playing PUBG I sometimes drop as a 1-man squad and having my death be a foregone conclusion is so liberating.

Last night I was walking down a San Martin suburb and saw a Bronco parked alongside a multistory building and glimpsed a few people inside. I shotgunned one of the tires and ambled into the shoot house because gently caress them, I don't have to get to the zone, let's do this. The realities of 1 vs many firefights in PUBG means the odds are always against me but damned if I don't feel like some sort dime-store Joker.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo if this event is tpp only in live.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are the tpp vs fpp stats? Like usage.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That was awesome; and yeah any time I jump off a roof I'm always surprised by how little damage I take. Like, you can throw yourself off the roof of the apartments by the school on erangel and, as long as you catch some protrusion along the wall on the way down, you'll be fine.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Am I the only unimaginative smuck that only wants camouflage-ish clothes and gear? I know some people want the purple trench coat or whatever and that's fine, but all I want is the ability to pick the right shades of brown during the minute before the plane.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

FLORAL SHIRT (WHITE) for life, comrade.
it's all earth tones. Blends in nicely to a lot of poo poo

I'm going for various earth tones as well, and if someday I can get my zebra stripe police vest to be a dusty brown, great.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sks and mini are considered bad guns?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can't kick over a Miramar poo poo shack without finding a scar.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Question: you're in a house with an enemy: you've broken line of sight and there's only one way to get to each other. Do you push or do you wait? If your answer depends on other factors, what are they? Grenades, team mates, health?

For context, I started off assuming that letting them come to me would give me an advantage but the camping isn't working out in my favor. By default I blame myself but I'm dying for insights, comments, and suggestions. The new plan I'm forming is to wait a beat, then push in while prefiring, at least if I die then it isn't preceded by a solid minute of adsing a doorway or stairwell.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I finish off a downed enemy unless there's still another target immediately available. I understand it's not optimal compared to finding their friends but I guess I'm just mean? I dunno, it's what I wouldn't want done to me so...thats how I know I should do it them?

Part of me just wants to "accomplish something" in the round.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The event lured my team into trying TPP for the first time. Easy Chicken Dinner. It was like playing Overwatch on a free weekend, the combination of the more popular TPP + the event made for a really mixed crowd. We saw:

1) People hold ADS in one spot after they'd obviously been spotted and received fire
2) A truck that just drove in circles around a town tooting the horn
3) Our last enemy tenaciously held a ridge line...and, because he didn't seem to understand TPP, poured automatic weapon fire into the crest.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

I distinctly remember being told to git gud when I said I preferred the Uzi over shotguns in this thread

Shotguns in this game drive me nuts and yes the UZI is undervalued. It's not the best SMG but it's often the one you will get in early game and I'd take it over any shotgun in a game with this netcode.

"any smg" + "any AR with optics" is what I want each game. I have more specific desires within that category but if I can manage that I'm happy. But I'm opposed to having primaries share ammo for less than logical reasons.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One thing I really love about this game, and something that I don't see mattering in most others, is you can play quite differently based on your ammo reserve. 30 rounds of 5.56 can take you through an entire fight with judicious use of single shots, or you can spend it in a few moments of sustained fire or even just speculative or suppressing fire.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I almost never play solo, if I'm by myself I play 1 person squad. However, I tried some solo last night and the sniping end game seemed a lot more common and also unforgiving. Why would that be? Just less eyes and no knocks?

Also I'm eating crow regarding my dismissal of SRs; a m16a4 with a 4x feels pretty drat inadequate against a crate SR.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For me it's that I believe the other players act differently in the game modes; I'd rather practice facing an enemy squad than sink my solo play time into what I do think is a very different game mode.

For what it's worth when I do play solo the early and mid game feel like a breeze because I only have to deal with 1 v 1 encounters but I'm clearly lacking the subtleties of the solo end game, I get shot a lot from people I don't see and I think I've been relying on my squad to find people.

Oddly when I 1-squad and get to the top 10 it feels easier to see and not be seen, I guess just because the numbers are on your side both ways.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ILL Machina posted:

I think it would be cool to use this engine for something like a mount and blade fortress defense. Split the teams, throw in some respawn counts, maybe let you pick a loadout with limits for each team, instead of picking loot up. Maybe no snipers. Vehicle spawns like in BF1. Add shouts and musician roles. Bam.

I'm absolutely thinking forward to what the next big BR game could be, there's rumors DICE are going to try their hand using Battlefield.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not so much. I like `em, and there's some similiarties of military equipment and settings and tactical firefights, but there's some differences. The respawn, the equipment load out (you're almost always going to be fighting with your loadout, rather than making do with whatever you can find.)

Now, if DICE made a BR mode where you 1)landed on a large island in semi-random place 2) looted what you could and made do 3)operated under the fear of "perma death", and combined all that with (feels weird saying this) DICE's build quality and optimization, that could be some seriously enticing poo poo.

It's funny, DICE has a reputation among AAA shooters for being a bit buggy, but compared to PUBG they're in a totally different league of stability and quality. For example, I would be able to use shotguns with no regret.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh, and thinking about it a bit more; you're completely right that Battlefield is in that genre of a "huge world military combat game", as is the Operation Flashpoint/Arma type games that spawned PUBG. Battlefield is a lot more "arcadey" though. If you were going to draw a line charting shooter realism and you had Overwatch on one end and Arma on the other, Battlefield would be somewhere in between; sure there's characteristics it shares with PUBG but absolutely some real differences as well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Would you disagree with the basic idea "don't engage unless you think you will have an easy kill or you dont see a choice"?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought it was commonly accepted itt that how you play to practice or warm up isn't the same as how you chase the chicken on a particular run.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Honestly the biggest danger I find in fighting isn't dying to that guy, it's the half dozen people you didn't even realize were nearby who 1) become aware of you 2) stalk you 3) ambush and kill you.

This is because I'm a fool who doesn't know where people "should be". I just stare wildly at tree lines and roof tops like a U.S. soldier a half second from a war crime.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Of all the thing the devs get wrong, the appearance of a semi public alpha map isn't one of them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why are we supposing that people who avoid fighting can't fight? Relatedly, the caveat of shooting if you've got the advantage is really a big difference vs following the zone passively

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

VulgarandStupid posted:

If anything its more frustrating to have sat around for 30 minutes just to choke than it is to kill 3 dudes and die on the 4th early on.

I 100% agree with this.
Relatedly, If I drop in a big spot that is somehow empty and say " well, I'll wait here and kill whoever shows up" the waiting itself starts to get to me. I swear to god I start to feel like I'm in a horror game, roaming a house I have to keep reassuring myself is empty, watching the kill feed and the dwindling player count and always saying "eh, I'll wait here another minute" .

Its not a trap I fall into often but any time I do I regret it all over again. Optimal or not I feel better moving, advancing, proceeding. I find I do much, much better in a stressful game if I always have a "next step", something both positive and manageable I can pursue without stopping(not counting brief pauses like a deer at a road) is a very dangerous place for me, mentally, in a game like pubg.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 4, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Very nice summary, thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

VulgarandStupid posted:

But its important to know that he wants to switch his vertical grip for an angled. Who cares where the enemies are?

Who here, without any irony or even self awareness, screams "cooooontaaaaaaact" like they just saw the predator decapitate a good friend?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cam anyone post a screenshot of what this head only peeking would look like from fpp?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd just appreciate a link in how to peek from a ridge line, I'm very much out of my element in the open bunny hills.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm no engineer but pubg is one of those fps games that just removes the head and stick the camera in it's place. The gun is the same tpp or fpp, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
War mode is up. Some kinda TDM.