Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm rusty as nails cause I took a long rear end break but I'm currently streaming some FPP 1vsquads games here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Most killcams are jittery even without cheats though...

Unrelated: what is up with all the one-way fences on miramar :(

e: idk if they're one-way or just impenetrable but either wat they're dumb

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Never don't move

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

If one of your teammates is firing you should be moving.

Yes and also all the rest of the time

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

This was the statement I heard:

"Fire without movement is wasted.
Movement without fire [in a firefight] is suicide."

YMMV.

You misunderstand. I'll spell it out: don't ever stand completely still

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

Nah the replay functionality is real janky and almost everyone looks like they're cheating with it. It's only useful if you get killed unexpectedly and want to know how you hosed up.

I check it to see how much damage I dealt after I lose a duel sometimes. But yeah, there really isn't much use to killcams other than those two uses, and 'mine' is pretty arbitrary at that.

Really, dudes, everyone looks like they're cheating in killcams. If you really think there are that many, just play FPP for the time being.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

abigserve posted:

There is no way, in that clip, that guy isn't using aims.

Yeah, no. I'm not denying cheats are common but drat dude, you see it everywhere...

Also, gotta second the lmao at "feeling" with 100% certainty that you died to hacks, especially after that first clip of you immediately yelling cheats in that video you posted a while back.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Hiding in buildings in the middle of the circle and in general is boring though

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Elman posted:

I don't get this. You need to move to get to the middle of the circle and there's more action there. A lot of the time I find the choice is between moving around and being active to get near the middle, or sitting near the edge camping, hoping to catch stragglers as they walk by. How is the latter more fun?

I prefer dropping in a contested place and just running towards gunfire from then on. No one in their right mind should bother engaging people in houses - especially in game modes other than solos - so while the shooting gallery can be fun, it just doesn't get very intense.

I like being on the move and not always fighting on my own terms :shrug:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

AppleDan posted:

"no one ever cheats" is more aggravating than "everyone cheats" at this point. People think the only form of hacking is blatantly speedhacking around hipfiring 80 headshots a minute. It's come to the point where it seems like every conversation on hacking is scripted, invariably someone will chime in with "that doesnt look suspicious at all, gosh no one wants to admit they got outplayed/maybe youre just bad????". No you're completely right, this game doesn't have a massive cheater problem it has to be everyone who plays this game can't admit to being bad.

This isn't what is happening at all. The recurring situation is that someone posts a video that is hardly conclusive, at which point people respond by saying that that video is hardly conclusive. Yes, there's loads of cheaters, but there are so many situations where people just get lucky, hit a once in a lifetime shot, the game is janky, the killcam 'contradicts' itself in the sense that only one shot in particular seems strange where the rest seem to indicate regular gameplay, or the killcam is just janky overall, resulting in a questionable kill. It's also not about everyone being bad, it's about a knee-jerk reaction goons (but not just goons!) have that results in almost anything that cannot instantly be explained away being called cheats which, honestly, often just comes down to being bad at losing. It's simple: the game is a janky mess and a lot of weird poo poo happens in it in general, but the takeaway should be that losses are blamed on cheats much more often than they should be, which is bad because it results in the dismissal of any player error leading up to that loss, which in turn hampers improvement.

Think about it, how many times a day do you hit a shot where you think "well, that was bullshit luck/glitchy/the best shot of my life, that guy will be fuming when he sees the deathcam"? Maybe I should speak for myself, but I have that happen quite regularly.

As for those two videos, yeah, those are ridiculous. The latter especially is instantly clear, but that's just because recoil is weird as hell in replays and I (like HOH) haven't seen a killcam of a no-recoil hack before.

Rex-Goliath posted:

On top of the no-recoil the biggest tell is that after making a shitload of noise he immediately puts his gun away to run for a loot box that's at least 200 m away. So he clearly has no idea what he's doing

I know you're probably (half-)joking but this is exactly the kind of mental gymnastics that goons do during their assessment of whether someone was cheating, even though there are countless reasons for people to do stuff like that which are all much more likely than "poo poo decision-making yet he shot me in the head so he must've had help aiming" (e.g. he hit a lucky spray, he was confidently aware of his surroundings, circle is coming in, he needs meds badly, he hasn't had a kar all night and this is his last game and he's desperately hoping there is one on the corpse, etc). That's why people keep saying poo poo's inconclusive.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 2, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

AppleDan posted:

This is exactly what i'm talking about. "blamed on cheats more often than they should be" "being bad at losing" "maybe I should speak for myself", there are 3 different "ur just bad lol"s in this paragraph alone. Yes the game is a janky mess, which makes it easier to cheat in it. As clear as those videos are you can still see people debating whether or not theyre legit.

My phrasing wasn't the best but if that's what you gather from my post then let's just agree to disagree. My main point was that I believe it's beneficial for both my enjoyment playing this game as well as my improvement at it to not blame poo poo on cheats whenever I'm unable to instantly find an explanation for the other person's behaviour, especially because everyone gets lucky or outdoes themselves occasionally and the game itself fucks with what should and shouldn't happen, as well as with the way we get to see things in deathcams.

e. In response to this:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why do people lean while shooting when they're in the open?

I posted this way back in the old thread but: for me it's just force of habit and occasionally it helps with visibility. I find that, especially on the (old?) 4x, the verticle markers get in the way sometimes and leaning can help when they do.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 2, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Also, two-time your girl

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I like clips. Let's post clips.

Here's a solo vs squads one from the day before yesterday that still kinda bums me out. I suck at CQC with the m16 :( Also, apologies for the loud breathing, I didn't realise my mic was on (or that it was that close to my face...)
https://clips.twitch.tv/ChillyFaintHareDoritosChip

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
That first one is really well played, especially that smooth jump up. Did you end up dying to the zone? The second has lovely spray control+transfer (although you did kinda let your friend die with that greedy first aid!). Nice clips.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
de_rats :dance:

I prefer Mrangel over Miramar too, but I gotta acknowledge that they once again managed to include fun mini-CS maps in Mirimar by way of Hacienda and Pecado. Those are fun.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Streaming some solo vs squads games again

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Long range: m16 > m4 > scar
Short range: m4 > scar > m16

Note: this does not mean the scar is bad, at all

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

very stable genius posted:

Is this ranking by the numbers or just a personal preference?

Both when it comes to scar vs m416 and long range m16. The latter when it comes to close range m16

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I lowered my resolution and have subsequently stopped sucking balls. Come witness: www.twitch.tv/lexneville

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Were you just having framerate issues and thats why you lowered your resolution, or is there some competitive reason you lowered it?

I had framerate issues so I lowered it to become more competitive.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

What'd you lower it to? Looks like my resolution (one under 1920x1080, changed to get a better framerate).

Also lol that kar98 shot through the fence.

Good shot.

1600x900. Thanks!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Here are three clips from my stream tonight that I thought were funny:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentTalentedManateeSpicyBoy
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlayfulSparklySnoodGivePLZ
https://clips.twitch.tv/DeafGleamingLardArgieB8

Big thanks to the goons who tuned in! I had a good time :)

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 10, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

completely unnecessary and forces you to take your eyes off combat.

Actually entirely dependent on the situation and your ability to gauge whether it's worth it or not in the heat of the moment. Definitely not a bad thing to consider if your situational awareness is good and you're comfortable with swapping attachments on the fly quickly.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 10, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Region lock would suck :(

I like playing with people from NA from time to time

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Pretty sure suppressors half the distances

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I was kept quiet for a couple of days but I plan on compensating for it by playing video games all day and streaming them. Tune in for flashy plays: https://www.twitch.tv/lexneville

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

DrNutt posted:

What was this all about? I saw people in the discord talking about it, but I received nothing so I assume it had something to do with playing and spending BP during a particular time frame or something?

There was a period where no BP was awarded. They're reimbursing it now. I believe it was around christmas.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I don't think you get more BP than you missed out on anyway, but I might be wrong

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

daslog posted:

This is my argument for using a suppressor. This is me getting hosed by a Suppressed SCAR. I'm sure a better player would have been able to find the sound sooner, but all I could hear was the bullets flying by my head and hitting the ground.

Feel free to critique my lovely play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RcgHcZcDG8

~175? Seems like there's a dude on the crest of the hill, but it's hard to see. You could definitely hear the shots coming from the south rather than north/west, though. Also, holy poo poo that guy is bad.

e: the numbers on the compass suck when you're not directly looking at them

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 12, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
This was a satisfying game:

https://clips.twitch.tv/AlluringSincereWolverineAMPEnergyCherry
https://clips.twitch.tv/BlazingMoralTapirTriHard

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
It's based on the in-game leaderboards but it really doesn't say much. It's pretty easy to climb and my experience is that I never noticed a difference in other players' skill between when I played seriously and was top 50 and now, where I gently caress around and am 'just' top 10%. It feels like there's really only two brackets: new players and not-new players. The consistency with which people manage to stream snipe kinda seems to confirm that notion as well. Going for rank can be a fun way to push yourself though, although honestly it does wear you out after a while.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 12, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Pecado is the best thing that's happened to this game since the addition of the groza.

But I hate the fact that the new 8x resets your zoom if you switch guns. It's dumb and stupid.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 12, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I am going to stream some games so you guys can admire me. www.twitch.tv/lexneville/

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The angled grip is the one that actually speeds up ADSing, though, which is actually pretty good

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Cinara posted:

This happened on FPP NA. I have noticed we run into WAY more cheaters when playing between 2-5am PST, during more normal hours we almost never see them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4fVLClMkdg

We have run into a decent amount of wallhacking, but this was by far the most blatant cheating and wasn't even killing my squad member on purpose.

That's hilarious cause it almost seems like the weirdest bug ever. The spot he snaps towards in the replay after downing the third guy isn't even on the same screen as your friend, let alone in your general direction. That's one hell of a speedy aimkey.

I'm curious to see the rest of that 3v1, if you have it readily available!

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 21, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The steam overlay kills fps

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The point where you stop looting should be based on time rather than items and depends on the game, but is generally "well before the third circle" at the latest.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Neutrino posted:

I was looking through some of the gameplay footage and spectating other nearby players when I found this player. As near as I can figure someone placed a bot there just to give them a line of sight on everything moving above ground. They probably had this view playing on another monitor so they could see hidden players.

lol

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, gently caress that. Same goes for distance indications for pins.

Also, here's how matchmaking works: there are two pools, one for the top 80% and one for the bottom 20.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I don't recall ever having been able (allowed?) to play an online game with people whose version of it differed from mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

speedtek posted:

After moping for a little while last night because I had no desire to play any other game, I realized there was still the Test Server. So I installed that and, though it took a few attempts per game to get into Matchmaking, it still worked.

Then I realized that since I suck, I should always play the Test Server until I git gud. Is this a terrible idea?

You haven't really outlined why you would. What's wrong with being bad on live?