Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Did they ever fix the fact that higher foliage settings were a disadvantage? A lot of people online say you wanna set foliage to very low, but those posts seem to be old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is it best to stay near the edge of the circle or somewhere closer to the middle? Assuming there's a vehicle available, I mean. Both options seem viable but I don't know if there's a better choice here.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The thing is there's this awkward phase between the bigger circles and the smaller ones (I think it's after the third circle?) where the area's big enough that you need a vehicle to reach the circle if you're near the edge and get unlucky, but it's also small enough that using a vehicle just doesn't feel safe since you'll be super easy to spot and you'll be spotted whenever you decide to pull over, which will get you surrounded and killed (on that note, yesterday we were holed up in an attic and a 2 man squad arrived and threw 8 frag nades at us :saddowns: ).

The fact that I suck at long range engagements probably doesn't help (I only bought the game recently, I'm still getting used to measuring distances and zeroing).

Parallel Playa posted:

Hiding in buildings in the middle of the circle and in general is boring though

I don't get this. You need to move to get to the middle of the circle and there's more action there. A lot of the time I find the choice is between moving around and being active to get near the middle, or sitting near the edge camping, hoping to catch stragglers as they walk by. How is the latter more fun?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I play EU FPP and the only fishy death I've had was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcEjMSsiVRw

It's hard to believe he spotted us there, and he didn't even hold his breath. He hit my friend a couple of times and myself 3-4, downing me. The way his aim snaps between the two of us (and a third guy maybe?) seems off too, but it could just be replay hijinks.

Still, that's a single weird one in ~40 hours of play.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It probably feels more fair too, since everyone in TPP has a wallhack! :haw:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

The old map was kind of boring and most fights ended up with people hugging trees or the occasional rock. Now they got rid of the trees and lessened the number of rocks. Possibly more important than the loss of the tree trunks themselves, the canopy cover that broke up sight lines is gone. Fights generally take place only in cities or over long distances in the open where it’s impossible to move up since there’s no cover. That’s bad.

That reminds me, I had a match where the last circle was this grassy field with nearly no cover. We were 2vs1 and the enemy went prone and we couldn't spot him. We went prone/crouched too and he couldn't see us either so it was basically one big mexican standoff. Eventually I got impatient and tried to move figuring if he shot me he'd give away his position but he had a silencer which allowed him to safely turn it into a 1vs1 and get the win.

What do you do in a situation like that if you have no nades? Spraying the grass gives away your position, standing up together to look for him is really risky, and they're never gonna stand up 1vs2.

I mean we could've camped till the circle disappeared and hope we'd outheal him but that's awful.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

That's fine and all but the problem is I'm not sure we'd be able to spot him even if we did stand up and walk around. He could easily shoot his silenced gun from the grass and we'd never get a chance to see him (that is exactly what happened when I eventually got tired of waiting and tried to look for him).

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah no, it runs like complete poo poo and it's terrible that it's become this successful while being unfinished, unoptimized garbage.

It's still fun cause it's a really good formula, but I do hope they'll pull their poo poo together. Or if they won't, that someone else will.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Varkas posted:

For those graphics, I believe what's current is:
-Anything range finding related
-4X Aim points for Kar98K and SKS
-8X Aim points for Kar98K and SKS

Outdated:
-4X aim points for 5.56 Assault Rifles and AKM

So how did the AR aim points change?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

esperterra posted:

Ever since the new patch, textures are never fully loaded when I drop into Miramar so loool when my squad does a hot drop and I have to run around for a minute or two to wait for it to load in, or levitate thru the buildings looting and run the risk of getting stuck in a wall/stairs when everything pops in.

Works for me.

https://gfycat.com/PlainLeadingBlackrussianterrier

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I tried FPP but it's a bit disorienting for some reason. I have that issue with no other games so I don't know why this one fucks me up. Think I should give it another go.

I want to play and like this game but the cheating is just so unbelievably rampant.

The game's clearly been designed with TPP in mind, so FPP feels kind of awkward at first compared to any other shooter. You'll get used to it after a few games, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

eriddy posted:

It's optional

I like how they're giving everyone 100,000 free coins and a few keys to spend on lootcrates in the test client. Have a taste of that dopamine rush now, come back later and buy some crates when they actually come out.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's really weird how ballistic masks and gas masks don't really do anything.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Counterpoint: I'm a potato and I have a lot of trouble spotting enemies when they shoot me with a silencer.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So the new Nvidia postprocessing feature is basically a hack.

Without:

With:

Look at the shadows. This poo poo shouldn't be allowed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

People have played CS:GO forever with vibrance cranked to 3rd hour on acid, this won't be any different.

You don't have to spot people hiding in the shade at 200m in CSGO.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Carecat posted:

That was debunked it's just a helper overlay.

Much like fullbright lighting is just a cosmetic option :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PSA:

I missed both of these shots and lost the game because I forgot weapons are zeroed at 100m and I was at 60m. Aiming uphill also means you need to lower your aim a bit, which made the problem worse. My bullets just flew by right above the target.

Ballistics matter :eng101:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

You saw where the bullet hit the tree, you should know the opposite side is probably the safest...

They did (try to) take cover there.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jerkface posted:

lets just suppose you cant find enough, if you have 1 or 2 guys with a suppressor you can pull off some gnarly flanks and baits if the unsuppressed players have any guts and the guy with the suppressor has any balls.

Yeah, exactly. Everyone who's against suppressors is assuming a 1vs1 situation where the target is alert and ready to listen to your silenced shots straight away, but a lot of times you'll be shooting at the same time as other people and it's a lot harder to spot the silenced shots behind you when you're focusing on the unsilenced enemy in front of you.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Le0 posted:

All you guys with your nice clothes all I have is common crap despite opening many chests! :argh:

Stop opening chests, sell them and use the money to buy pretty clothes for your toy soldier.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Le0 posted:

I ment to ask a question also, what is better a lvl3 helmet nearly completely destroyed or a lvl2 helmet brand new? What about the same but for armor?

I usually just equip them both and pick the one with the higher armor number. I don't know if there's more nuance to it than that.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a point in using the Aim function in FPP? Is it more accurate than regular hipfiring?

(what I mean is hipfiring while "Aiming" with right click, not ADS)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

daslog posted:

In the the movie Battle Royal there was lots of teaming.

Yeah, it's a shame that kind of stuff can't happen organically in this game. It'd be neat to make friends with somebody and cooperate, even if you both knew you'd have to backstab each other eventually.

But of course in reality that only leads to this:

https://gfycat.com/OptimalExcellentDog

(maybe they didn't see each other?)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

there probably should be something that automatically bans you if you have a certain number of games with impossible kda and/or damage for even the best player having their best games over that stretch.

This would only stop blatant hackers (which are already easy to detect through traditional means) and do nothing against people who use more subtle cheats like wallhacks or ESP, or only toggle in the top 10.

Those are the real problem that makes you question the integrity of the game. Blatant hackers are annoying but they just highlight the fact that there's probably other, non obvious hackers around.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

They really need to fix weapons not spawning till well after you land. It feels bad being the first to reach School's roof or whatever only to find no items there. Either you leave and let everyone else loot it all, or you just kinda awkwardly hang around waiting for items that may or may not spawn anywhere near you.

And it's not just lag in crowded areas. Just yesterday I landed on an empty rooftop with no one else around, looted the house, then before leaving I figured I'd check the rooftop again just in case. I found an M4 and 90 bullets :what:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Speaking of things that should be banned, I've been using Nvidia's new shader settings with HDR set to 100% and it's super good. Unlike dumb settings like sharpening and oversatured colors, it doesn't make the game look ugly but it's definitely easier to spot dudes when you're outdoors in the sun and you look at a dark corner or window.

My player group calls it "elf eyes".

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What monitor do you have?

Eizo EV2450-BK. It's not like l can't see people in dark places, but obviously brightening them up still helps.

puppy party posted:

Where do you set this up?

Enable experimental features in the nvidia experience app, then alt+f3 in game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was just wondering if that is a real HDR monitor or not (it isn't), to see if it's worth bothering on my trash tier monitor to try this.

It's not actual hdr, it just makes the shadows brighter.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

daslog posted:

What new settings?

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-freestyle-fortnite-shadowplay-highlights-new-ansel-ui

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Oh hey, I pulled off a perfect landing with an m4 right at my fee--nevermind... :smith:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does anyone else get really weird lagspikes when running into an enemy or getting shot? I mean stuff like this.

The game just randomly chokes from time to time, usually right around the time I get shot. It basically kills any chance I might have of reacting, and it happens often enough to be a pain. I think it only started after last patch?

Killer_Bees! posted:

Is there any real point to crates other than your starting outfit ?

Nope. Sell them in the market and make bank.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's not the ping that's the main problem, it's tickrate. When tickrate drops down to like 2 in the final zones (not hyperbole) it just compounds everything.

What? Why would that happen? You'd think it'd run better when there's ~10 people alive.

Varkas posted:

I just started doing some testing with that Freestyle feature today and I do notice a noticeable drop of 5-10 FPS just in the game lobby, so it's conceivable it could be playing a role in this.

Yeah I'll check, seems like that might actually be the cause.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Are they ever going the region lock China?

I don't know, but the patch notes' comments are about 150 pages of:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Stop bragging about your Top X% when your KDR is less than 2.

NtotheTC posted:

Conversely, stop saying KDR matters when you drop school every round, get 2 kills then die in 80th place.

Only wins matter.

If you're 2nd place because of bad last circle luck get the gently caress out of here.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Cinara posted:

Not really, besides an educated guess based on the layout of the building and the type of sound the footstep is making based on terrain. Directional sound is pretty good in this game but vertical sound is really hard.

I don't think there's vertical sound at all. You can sit at a 4th floor and hear people walking down the street no problem.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Hi, I'm that guy in the 3rd/4th circle who hosed up their positioning and had no chance to reach the circle in time, so I just shot you in the back to bring you down with me.

What's up?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, and most of the map is desert and walking close to the road is suicide since you're completely exposed. Finding a car feels a lot harder.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

2) Make it so you can't loot while moving. The looty wiggle dance is some dumb poo poo.

It's already super easy to kill people while they're looting, making it even easier would be a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Honestly, I think right now the problem isn't map size, but the fact that everyone lands close together which leads to people dying early, making for a rather boring mid game.

That said all that map size comes to waste since final circles tend to end up somewhere in the middle anyway:

They need to rework the circle picking algorithm to pick the circles in reverse order, evening the odds a little.