Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Gort posted:

Why do I want this game on an SSD? There's like a minute countdown before the game even starts, shouldn't that be enough for map loading and all that jazz?

Also: if the game crashes you can still get back in the active session you had going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

Is there a way to see your latency or is all this assumption about being put on high ping servers guesswork?

I think it's pretty much assumptions. I made a post about this on the previous thread, but I don't think there's a clear way to know definitively.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Travic posted:

Ah thanks. All I really need to do is lower the resolution so it's not an ungodly huge file.

I think a simple program that can handle that is "Handbrake". Handbrake also can force the file to have a constant FPS (which I think helps resolve audio desync issues when you try to use the edit later in other editing software.

I'm only doing basic cuts, and "Hitfilm 4 Express" works fine for a free solution. I'm no expert at all in any of this though.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Soarer posted:

I believe that's counted as a miss. Why sometimes if you get a bad shot where they're only half in your cross hairs and it feels like they should have at least taken some damage it just does nothing.

That also explains some issues I've had with rails and other objects that obstruct some of the pellets...

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

So there I am minding my own business, when...

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Tweak posted:

my suggestion for field endings: bring a jeep. I can attribute 3 chicken dinners to this strategy and one 2nd place finish because I abandoned it prematurely.

Also on this point: you can shoot the tires out to lower it and protect your precious feet. You might also want to shoot it till it explodes at a convenient time so that it won't explode on you later when you're using it for critical cover.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, for dumb people, what is out of date from this?

For those graphics, I believe what's current is:
-Anything range finding related
-4X Aim points for Kar98K and SKS
-8X Aim points for Kar98K and SKS

Outdated:
-4X aim points for 5.56 Assault Rifles and AKM

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Elman posted:

So how did the AR aim points change?

I haven't seen any updated testing results on this from anyone (particularly WackyJacky), but I understand that there were changes to ballistics with the 1.0 release of the game.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Matazat posted:

If there was a test range where I could try them all out freely then I might be more keen on picking them up (cmon blue hole)

Nope! This is one of the highly requested features that's supposedly going to happen at some point, but no idea where it is in a timeline.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Extortionist posted:

I think this is the best thing I've seen happen in 200-something hours of this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTEV6jyPGhM

I was on the defending team and we spent a minute or two trying to figure out who to congratulate for the kills before we realized what happened.

Of course, we then went on to win the round.

I saw that grenade and was thinking how it was looking to be an amazing toss, but then... :doh:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Uh.... So ... I might have found my first hacker on EU FPP.
See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qkQqe5BDXY

Guy has a 20 k/d ratio right now and very few matches, of which he's won 4 / 7.

I guess I don't have a real point to this post, but by the way, why aren't we calling this game "plunkbat"?

Keep in mind that replays/kill cams are not a 1-to-1 representation of a user's actions--in particular where they're aiming exactly at a given moment. I wouldn't conclude that he was slam dunk cheating just from that recording alone. I'd say you should watch your whole replay for that game of the guy to get a better sense.

But that K/D ratio is pretty suspect.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Bouchehog posted:

For those who haven't seen it in discord, I have stolen various information (mostly from WackyJacky101) and am now claiming credit for it:

Edit: Apparently I'm an idiot so I've updated it slightly.

This is good, but it's a 640x400 image on imgbb. Most of the content is okay, but can't really make out the table values in the lower left.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Bouchehog posted:

Fixed. I hope.

All good now. Thanks!

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Elman posted:

PSA:

I missed both of these shots and lost the game because I forgot weapons are zeroed at 100m and I was at 60m. Aiming uphill also means you need to lower your aim a bit, which made the problem worse. My bullets just flew by right above the target.

Ballistics matter :eng101:

Ahhhhh, that explains a lot. It was so baffling at the time.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

BCRock posted:

This poo poo just started happening to me last night. My guess was that it had something to do with me enabling and messing with the new GeForce shader things that I turned on after reading about it here since I've never had it happen before and nobody else in my squad seemed to have it happen to them.

Everything would be running 100% fine until I started taking shots and then it'd be massive choppyness until I was dead.

I just started doing some testing with that Freestyle feature today and I do notice a noticeable drop of 5-10 FPS just in the game lobby, so it's conceivable it could be playing a role in this.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Shannow posted:

So my car got blown up and i got sent spinning into orbit

Godspeed Starman :patriot:

PSA for "fullscreen" users: when alt tabbing, if your game screen doesn't actually go black with a small bit of a transition delay, you're not actually in full screen. Evidently I've been running some form of Windowed mode for quite some time despite the in-game setting being set to "Fullscreen". I checked a number of things, but the last setting that seem to have made a difference was checking "Disable fullscreen optimizations" under the game exe's Properties -> compatibility tab. I'm getting quite a bit better FPS now as a result.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

(Yeah it crashes for me too, when I try to join a game and it shows the PUBG logo, it sometimes just hangs. I can't get the windows GUI back so I have to ctrl+alt+delete and click "log out". Then by the time I'm back in the match, of course the plane is halfway across the map, or I've been dumped out with the other AFK players.)

This never happened to me before, but I started getting it now once I fixed my fullscreen setting issues.

Edit- or maybe it is just the most recent patch...

Varkas fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 9, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

does anyone else get affected by "air currents" when parachuting? I've no idea if they're an actual thing but occasionally I just get pulled wildly off course for seemingly no reason. Really frustrating when you're trying to land on a roof.

Yes, but I've always thought of it as some sort of bug related to when I'm free looking around at the same time.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Whaaaat if...you got a flare gun from a crate drop, and this went into your pistol slot, and then you called down a single red zone artillery barrage with it?

Ehhh, probably way too powerful for the final circles if it had the same radius as it has now. That probably explains why I've never seen a red zone in the end-game too on that note.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

OxySnake posted:

Shotguns are annoyingly inconsistent and I try and use them as rarely as possible.

A bit more on that...

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'm not sure how to get better at rifles I rarely see/use because they are crate drops.

I really, really wish we had some practice mode of some sort, but the devs clearly don't think it's as high of a priority as I do.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I could just be poo poo but I’ve had a much easier time landing longer shots with an M4 than the QBZ. Up close it’s pretty gross tho

There might be a good reason for that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=890thQ54NCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

AnElegantPeacock posted:

That YouTuber is lying because ION runs like poo poo compared to PUBG. It is a cool middle ground between Fortnite cartoon bull poo poo and PUBG Military SIM though. I'm gonna keep playing it until I pass out drunk later this morning.

With max detail settings for ION, I get pretty much the same FPS as PUBG (which a mixture of detail settings). I think this is in the range of 50-80 FPS, depending on the area. So totally playable in my situation.

Things I like about ION so far:
-combat and movement feels responsive. I haven't noticed any desync issues yet where I'm taking damage even after I'm out of a shooters line of sight (I don't have a lot of actual playtime in yet though).
-First person only
-Has an actual shooting range to practice with all the weapons (important for scrubs like me that are working on improving recoil control in general)
-better inventory management UI (takes a bit of getting used to)
-crouch movement seems to be nearly silent? (perhaps they just don't have these implemented in yet?)
-There's an announcer that notes when the circle is changing status, and the circle edge is very audible when you're close to it
-Weapons are not hitscan

Neutral things:
-I'm not so sure about general bullet velocities though yet, and how much leading you need to apply at a moving target.
-Weapons do have some degree of bullet drop.
-General movement speed is quite a bit faster than PUBG
-Players contrast very much with the rest of the map. Not a lot of opportunities for hiding unless you're actually behind objects.
-No prone mechanic. So no snakes to worry about
-No lean mechanic
-Weapon recoils aren't as random as PUBG. They generally have pretty distinct patterns with how much/when they shift right/left.

Negative things:
-bunny hopping seems somewhat effective/annoying right now for certain ranges
-no vault mechanic (but you can jump/crouch through some windows)
-no doors to interact with for buildings? So with the lack of vaulting, there's fewer options for breaching a house