Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Second Hand Gold is as Good as New - Ken Alstad

As the sun rises and the day begins in Sanctuary, you make your way through market places stuffed with trade wares. The items for sale are unpredictable and haphazardly thrown together. The prices vary wildly and are in a state of constant flux as the internal economy of the market begins its morning dance. There's still a long way to go, but things are better than they were during The Lich Winter not so long ago. Back then, a shopper could buy something for 10g only to find it for sale at 1, 100, or even 1000 gold pieces within an hour. Supply and demand were unpredictable and chaotic forces in those days, wild animals that barked and bit and tore at the reigns of society. Now, finally, people are trying to get those wild beasts tamed again.

You sit together in a small waiting room in the central offices of LGM Incorporated. It's a large building, one of the largest businesses you've ever seen. It was once a tavern, or so you would guess from the wide open foyer and beamed ceilings. Clerks write with quills at long tables, bags of gold are measured in silver scales or using complicated tanks filled with different liquids. The place is a hive of busy workers scurrying back and forth, passing documents, gold and information to and fro. As you watch through one of the large long windows in the waiting room, the door to the office opens and two large women leave. They wear ceremonial robes and crowns from a local splinter religion and their great, muscular arms are tattooed with thorned vines. They smile to one another as a well dressed gnome hands them two bags of coin.

“Great work, ladies. Love to see you again soon. You need any more jobs, you get in contact, you hear? You four, you're my eight o'clock, right? Great, come in!”

He leads you into a simple, but well decorated office and takes a seat behind a desk heaving with papers. He drags four identical fliers from a stack and thrusts them into each of your hands. His voice is a rapid stream, flowing without interruption.

“Sign at the bottom, initial, then sign again. Waivers etc. You know how it is. So, you're here to come work for LGM, huh? Well you've chosen the perfect time! LGM Incorporated is here to stay and expanding, which means there's lots of gold up for grabs for those who can get it. You guys adventurers huh? Well that's great, just the kind of guys, I'm looking for!”

He digs into a pile of scrolls and pulls out three, each marked with separate wax insignias. He glances up at the desk and frowns at any unsigned waivers.

“Come on, come on, time is money! Okay, let's see what we got here. There's three jobs I'm looking to get done that you guys are eligible for. Oh wait, that reminds me, you're currently on probation. Can't offer you an employment contract until you've shown you have what it takes to get the jobs done. Until then, you're technically freelancers. You show me you got the stuff, I'll send an employment request up the pileline and get my boss to sign off on offering you more stable work. You could stay freelancers, but trust me, steady work is how you make the big money, and who doesn't want to make the big money, am I right?”

He slaps the scrolls down on the table without taking a breath.

“Okay, here's what we got. An incoming shipment has been stalled in Grendor Woods to the north, we need someone to go find it and bring it back. Typical banditry we figure, but who knows. We've got some miners in the hills just outside town who are getting attacked by goblins, they want protection. Or we've got an… acquisition job. A competitor is selling bags of holding for much cheaper than we can afford to. We're losing business to these guys, and we can't lower our cost of production to match theirs, so we need to get hold of one of those bags and find out how they're doing it. Thoughts?”

Okay, normal pbp rules apply.

Character sheets in first post. Names in bold at top of each post. Actions in italics. Use orokoros.

I'm new to Dming 5e so if I'm making mistakes or forgetting anything, let me know.

I'm not working off any existing D&D world where places and gods etc. are concerned, so feel free to make stuff up and throw it into the melting pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Characters

The FE36ers
Crimson the Tiefling Sorceror
Loghain the Dragonborn Paladin
Benny R Cane the half-elf Rogue
Rhys Underdraught

Yvee - Forewoman of the ore mine just o
utside Sanctuary.

[b]Journey

-The FE36ers take on a trial job for LGM Incorporated, agreeing to protect a gang of miners from goblin attacks in the mines outside Sanctuary.

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 31, 2017

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Benny R. Cane > 8 / 8 HP / 14 AC

Plot posted:

He leads you into a simple, but well decorated office and takes a seat behind a desk heaving with papers. He drags four identical fliers from a stack and thrusts them into each of your hands. His voice is a rapid stream, flowing without interruption. “Sign at the bottom, initial, then sign again. Waivers etc. You know how it is. So, you're here to come work for LGM, huh? Well you've chosen the perfect time! LGM Incorporated is here to stay and expanding, which means there's lots of gold up for grabs for those who can get it. You guys adventurers huh? Well that's great, just the kind of guys, I'm looking for!”
Benny gave the documents a quick once-over before signing, but it all seemed to be fairly standard. If he was being honest, he found it quaint to be working with quills and ink once more. He'd become accustomed to signing contracts in blood during his tenure with his ...previous employer... and this was all a rather welcome change of pace.

Plot posted:

“Okay, here's what we got. An incoming shipment has been stalled in Grendor Woods to the north, we need someone to go find it and bring it back. Typical banditry we figure, but who knows. We've got some miners in the hills just outside town who are getting attacked by goblins, they want protection. Or we've got an… acquisition job. A competitor is selling bags of holding for much cheaper than we can afford to. We're losing business to these guys, and we can't lower our cost of production to match theirs, so we need to get hold of one of those bags and find out how they're doing it. Thoughts?”
He considered the options for a moment, but quickly decided that he didn't have any particular preference. The missing shipment contained the caveat of 'bring it back', which sounded suspiciously like it would involve manual labor, but it seemed that the others might have that well in hand. Goblin blood took more than a little effort to get out of clothing, but he could probably keep that problem contained by not wandering into the front lines of battle. The final option sounded like he could walk away with a bag of holding or twelve as part of the deal, which was a pretty good sweetener, but it was also the most likely to result in a nasty lawsuit. It was, of course, also technically illegal. Rather than take charge in the contract negotiations, he decided to take the opportunity to get a feel for the morality and general worldview of his newfound companions, looking to the others and inquiring, "What do you guys think?"

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Long Rest: Hit Dice (1/1d8)
Item: Arrow (20) / Oil (2) / Ration (5)
Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Loghain > 11 / 11 HP / 16 AC

The dragonborn named Loghain inspects the waivers for a moment, but only a moment. His own armor is probably less sturdy than the legalese contained on the page. As he signs, the gnome is already moving on, knowing full well they really have no choice in the matter.

After the scrawny one (Barney?) speaks his piece, Loghain chimes in. "If bandits have indeed taken hold of that shipment, the worst they'll do is party with the perishables. Anything of true value, they'll need to come to town to fence. The protection job, as you call it, is far more urgent. As for...acquiring these bags of holding, I think you'll appreciate my current reluctance to steal for someone I barely know." He looks to the others for support, and for the first time realizes that his companions in this endeavor appear to be a shifty half-elf, a tiefling with devil's blood, and an ale-smelling dwarf. "Mother Danu protect us," he murmurs.

Long Rest: Hit Dice (1/1d10)
Item: Javelin (5) / Holy water (1) / Ration (10) / Torches (10)
Journal

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 27, 2017

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rhys > 15/15 HP / 15AC

Rhys has barely got time to get through the door before a stack of papers gets shoved in his face and a quill handed down. While he wasn't illiterate, the Dwarf's grasps on the ins and outs of contractually obligated jargon was non-existant, instead just scrawling his name on the bottom and handing it back when Benny asked for what he thought might be a good idea. "Well..." He began, ignoring the muttering of the Dragon-man. "If it's a delivery cart been attacked you'd need someone to follow footprints and the like, so it's a good thing ya boys got me wit'cha!" He laughed, "So that'd work out grand. Guarding against Gobbos might be fine too, can't be too difficult scaring a bunch of greenskins."

Long Rest: Hit Dice (1/1d12) , Rage (1/1)
Item: Javelin (4) / Hand Axe (2) / Ration (10) / Torches (10)
Journal

Manic_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 27, 2017

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Loghain posted:

"If bandits have indeed taken hold of that shipment, the worst they'll do is party with the perishables. Anything of true value, they'll need to come to town to fence. The protection job, as you call it, is far more urgent. As for...acquiring these bags of holding, I think you'll appreciate my current reluctance to steal for someone I barely know." He looks to the others for support, and for the first time realizes that his companions in this endeavor appear to be a shifty half-elf, a tiefling with devil's blood, and an ale-smelling dwarf.
Eager to make friends with each of his new coworkers, Benny is quick to support the dragonborn's assessment. He chimes in, "In terms of prioritization, I think that's the right of it."

Looking to their gnomish employer, he offers, "Piece of advice, there's no need to directly confront your competitor. Your plan has a slight risk of damaging your own corporate brand if you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar. Fact of the matter is, if they're able to sell enchanted bags well below market rates, they're either selling stolen gear, or using something in the production process that they shouldn't be using. If it's stolen, might be surplus from a wartime cache -- just filing off the serial numbers and slapping on a new coat of paint. If it's a production matter, probably using human souls as a reagent to save on the more expensive ingredients. It happens more often than you'd think." With a shrug, he elaborates, "In any event, you can probably shut that one down pretty quickly by filing a patent infringement claim. They have no idea how you make your equipment, and in order to defend the case in court they'll need to disclose their production process. Odds are they aren't going to disclose the human souls they're using to build them, or the military cache they've borrowed and are pretending to produce, so I would imagine they'll settle pretty quickly. I can draw up the skeleton of the lawsuit before we head out if you want."

Turning his attention back to the matter at hand, he continues, "As for the choice between the missing shipment and the goblins, odds are pretty good that goblins will result in a higher civilian body count than bandits. If part of the branding is that LGM Incorporated looks out 'for the little guy', coming to the defense of a mining town will earn you some goodwill, whereas looking after your corporate interests alone when it comes to banditry is likely to be ...less well received, I suppose."
Journal

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Crimson > 9 / 9 HP / 15 AC

Crimson takes his time carefully reading the document. Looking for any blind clauses or traps, anything that might catch him up if he simply skimmed the document. Once he is satisfied that the document is legitimate and not going to trap him in an unfavorable condition through some legal loop hole he will sign.

Crimson sits quietly and listens to the others opinions. He finally speaks in a deep rich, smouldering, voice. "Well if we shall be working together I believe we should introduce ourselves. I am Crimson. Lord of Phlegethos if you wish, though as we shall be working alongside each other I doubt that should be necessary. "

He steeples his fingers. "I believe our half-elf friend, I do apologize I did not catch your name, brings up a number of good points. As a growing company that intends to be THE COMPANY image is going to be quite important. The goodwill of the community is important. I cannot claim to have his mastery of the law in regards to patents and what not. The bag job is likely to be the most lucrative, but has the potential for a bad image or legal issues if it is discovered."

He moves on to the next point. "Finding the shipment is likely important for your stock, and it is good to deal with bandits to help the populace and improve commerce. Yet doing so can be seen as self serving if it is just to recoup losses and line your own pockets. It is hard to tell how the populace will take such actions.

And he finally comes to the final one. Yes goblins are more likely to attack random farmers, merchants, and such while bandits are likely to focus on merchant caravans, nobles and the like. The groups the bandits are most likely to attack are the groups most likely to have hired help. While the goblins will attack indiscriminately. Taking out the goblins will likely be seen in a better light, as our half-elf friend mentioned. This of course all assumes the goblins are attacking for the usual reasons and not for some new reason.

He finishes. "Well I believe the goblins are the best choice at the moment. We may be able to take care of the bandits afterwards, but the goblins are more pressing and more likely to bring goodwill from the populace."

Long Rest: Hit Dice (1/1d6), 1st level spells (2/2)
Item: Bolts (20) / Torches (10) / Ration (10)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The gnome smiles as you each make your case.

"Trust me, Mr Cane, LGM Incorporated are well aware of the legal ramifications of each of these jobs. Hence why, instead of tasking seasoned employees with such a task, it has been shipped down to me, and I in turn have passed it on as a potential task for yourselves."

He shrugs, takes two of the scrolls and inserts them, along with rolled up contract papers, into a recess in the wall behind his desk. There is a sound like rushing air and the documents are sucked up through a tube and disappear out of sight.

"Goblins it is then. I'll give you a brief run down of the situation, but Yvee the forewoman will give you the details. Basically, the mining operation there is all but dried up. The veins are weaker than Elvish tea and the product we're getting out right now from the hills is dreg. We're scraping bottom of the barrel. There's no doubt a whole bunch of clearer product deeper in the rock, and at some point we'll mine deeper and get it, but right now we're exploring in pre-dug tunnels for the last scraps. Problem is, the gobbies have been there for centuries. They live down in the dark pits, fighting and loving and breeding with impunity through the whole of The Lich Winter. There's tons of the things. Most are happy staying out of sight in secret tunnels, but we've got more and more of the nasty little bastards coming out and taking pot-shots at our miners. Like I said, Yvee will give you the details."

He smiles, then awkwardly motions to the door before suddenly clicking his fingers and rummaging around in his desk.

"poo poo, wait. Okay, um... let me see here. Here we go, ah yes. I need a name for your little group. Currently, you're known as Subcontract Group FE36. You want me to file a renaming requisition to something a bit more... heroic? Or shall I just send you through as Subcontract Group FE36?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Loghain > 11 / 11 HP / 16 AC

To Loghain, the half-elf's support not only rings false, but is transparently so. Everyone in the room probably knows it, and no one comments. Is this what bureaucracy is like? Maybe repeated exposure will dull the sour taste.

Forcing a small, polite smile, the paladin nods at the man called Cane and turns back to the gnome. "I submit that any moniker we have should be organic, earned through our deeds. Anything less will come off as false and undeserved. Perhaps resolving this goblin situation will help in that regard. Just my two bits, I'll go with whatever my new companions decide. On that note, I am Loghain, a humble knight of Lugh, and as of this moment, of LGM. Lord Crimson, Mr. Cane, and...I haven't heard your name yet, sir dwarf; how are you called?"

Journal

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Gnome posted:

"poo poo, wait. Okay, um... let me see here. Here we go, ah yes. I need a name for your little group. Currently, you're known as Subcontract Group FE36. You want me to file a renaming requisition to something a bit more... heroic? Or shall I just send you through as Subcontract Group FE36?"

Loghain posted:

"I submit that any moniker we have should be organic, earned through our deeds. Anything less will come off as false and undeserved. Perhaps resolving this goblin situation will help in that regard. Just my two bits, I'll go with whatever my new companions decide. On that note, I am Loghain, a humble knight of Lugh, and as of this moment, of LGM. Lord Crimson, Mr. Cane, and...I haven't heard your name yet, sir dwarf; how are you called?"
Benny shrugs and agrees, "Yeah, why not hold off on submitting the paperwork until we're done this first task? No sense filling it out if we all end up dead, right? Then you'd just have another set of papers to fill out. I'm sure we'll come up with something worthwhile by the time we get back."

Looking to the others, he inquires, "So, this goblin thing. Can we all agree going in to try to resolve the situation peacefully? Or at least try to take them alive?" Scratching the back of his head and wrinkling his eyebrows in apparent discomfort, he explains, "I don't really want to get haunted by goblin ghosts again, if it can be avoided."
Journal

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rhys > 15/15 HP / 15AC

Loghain posted:

"I submit that any moniker we have should be organic, earned through our deeds. Anything less will come off as false and undeserved. Perhaps resolving this goblin situation will help in that regard. Just my two bits, I'll go with whatever my new companions decide. On that note, I am Loghain, a humble knight of Lugh, and as of this moment, of LGM. Lord Crimson, Mr. Cane, and...I haven't heard your name yet, sir dwarf; how are you called?"

"The Name's Rhys Ungerdraught, Fifth Infantry of the Duke's, ser Loghain. ain't nothing humble 'bout being a knight" Rhys said, mumbling the last bit at a level at what he hoped was under his breath before Benny gave his opinion on how best to deal with the goblins. "Yer what? Peaceful? With a bunch of greenskins? Are you daft laddy!? These people of... wherever the heck they are... they're looking for protection, not a tea party." The small bruiser let out "If they wanted it done wit'out a fight then they wouldn't be putting it to me and Loghain who can probably toss the buggers through a set of uprights!"

Journal

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Rhys posted:

"Yer what? Peaceful? With a bunch of greenskins? Are you daft laddy!? These people of... wherever the heck they are... they're looking for protection, not a tea party." The small bruiser let out "If they wanted it done wit'out a fight then they wouldn't be putting it to me and Loghain who can probably toss the buggers through a set of uprights!"
He had mostly expected that reaction from a dwarf, and was prepared for it. Raising his palms and making a motion as if to wave away the smoke in a subtle bit of body language, Benny responds, "It's not like that. I'm just ... well, it's hard to explain." With a nod to their employer, he continues, "Our employer said it himself, sort of, though I'm not sure he's seen it clearly yet either."

Gnome posted:

"There's no doubt a whole bunch of clearer product deeper in the rock, and at some point we'll mine deeper and get it, but right now we're exploring in pre-dug tunnels for the last scraps. Problem is, the gobbies have been there for centuries. They live down in the dark pits, fighting and loving and breeding with impunity through the whole of The Lich Winter. There's tons of the things. Most are happy staying out of sight in secret tunnels, but we've got more and more of the nasty little bastards coming out and taking pot-shots at our miners."
Rotating his neck and cracking it in a few directions as if to work out a few kinks, Benny continues, "If I'm being honest, there are a few things I'm worried about. First on the list is that we haven't had our eye on this ball for a while. The 'Lich Winter', or whatever you want to call it, had the attention of pretty much everyone focused on other problems for a long while. We don't actually know what's happened in goblin society during that time, but we do know that they're getting braver, and more organized. Why?" He sighs and shakes his head, "Great unifiers are few and far between, but they do come. Without knowing the state of goblin society, I don't want to kick the hornet's nest unless we absolutely have to."

Pausing briefly to gather his thoughts, he soon continues, "The other issue, really, is the long game. We can clear out a few dozen goblins to secure this 'bottom of the barrel' ore, but what's the point? The real goal is the 'clearer product' deeper in the rock, which -- spoilers -- is deeper into goblin territory. Where does it end? A dozen goblins today for scrap metal we don't even really want? A thousand goblins next month for the ore we do want? A hundred thousand next year for the rest of it? And how many of our people will need to die for that? You can take the position that goblin lives don't matter, but what about dwarf lives? And other lives? How many goblins can you beat in a fight before they take you down? Five? Ten? At some point it's just math: if we want access to the ore deeper in those tunnels -- which if I'm not mistaken, we do -- either a whole shitload of people on both sides need to die, or we need to start a dialogue on the subject. And every goblin body we bury between now and when we have that first conversation is going to make it a hell of a lot more loving tense of a discussion, you know?"

Catching himself getting worked up a bit, he pauses to take a breath, and finishes his thought, "Look, if we need to 'take care of' a few goblins, I don't really give a poo poo, I guess. I just think we'd be better off making sure there isn't an easier way to get what we want before we start cutting people in half. Does that make sense?"
Journal

Waador fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 29, 2017

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The gnome strokes his chin, them bursts into laughter. He digs a limp cigar from his pocket, pops the end his mouth, and lights it.

"You guys are alright. Look, one thing you learn around here is that someone has always got a plan. Lucas Grimholt's brain works like a machine. Everything is all moving cogs her and there and everywhere. The two ladies who left just before you turned up? Monks of the Sapphire Rose. They think that they just did a simple freelance job like you fellas are about to do. Actually, we been targetting the temple with jobs for weeks, waiting for someone to bite. Lucas wanted a couple of freelancers sent on a simple task that they'd survive, then wanted me to pay them ten times more than the normal salary. Why? Because the Temple of the Sapphire Rose has a huge collection of occult and divine artifacts at their disposal. One of them is wanted by a business associate. One day, Lucas will want a line of communication with the temple, those two warrior monks will be it. It's all cogs. That's why Grimholt gets to be the G in LGM."

He twists his fingers together like the teeth of two gears.

"You're sharp Mr Cane. Don't lose that. But working for LGM Incorporated is like fishing. Sometimes you know there's something going on below the surface, but acknowledging it can frighten it away."

He gestures for the door.

"Kill the goblins, don't kill the goblins, take it up with Yvee. Anything else I can do for you? If not, go head to the mines."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Loghain > 11 / 11 HP / 18 AC

"He's right; we can suss out the details on the way. We'd better move before more damage is done. Let's ride, FE36!" He pauses, then adds: "We do need a better name than that someday."

Journal

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 1, 2018

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The journey to the mines is an easy one. It is essentailly a straight road on to the main street that bisects the town of Sanctuary, then north up into the outskirts. The road turns from recently paved streets to a rickety muddy pathway quickly. When travel was all but impossible to most people due to the blizzards and monsters, the roads fell into a state of disrepair. As society returns, they'll be repaved, or so the leaders of Sanctuary claim. You take the path through farmlands and fields until you reach the bottom of the hills to the north. Up ahead, a wooden sign has been driven into the ground. It's message is a slightly chilling one.

"Imbra Mines
Property of LGM Incorporated - trespassers will be prosecuted.
DEATH TO INDUSTRIALISTS!"

The lack of any symbol written beneath the hastily scrawled alteration means that the culprit is as likely to be a bored youth as it is to be a serious threat. Still, its a reminder - not everyone approves of mega corps.

The entrance to the mine is a hole in the mountain, bolstered by thick wooden beams. A set of iron rail lines descend into the torch-lit darkness but the metal is rusted and rickety. It appears to be a holdover from the before times.

A couple of dwarf guards in black chainmail wave you through as they pick at their weapons and the walls with boredom. Soon, you find yourself in a central chamber bustling with activity.

A burly dwarf with a heavy brow and an even heavier dog approaches. The hound is some breed you have not seen before - mongrel and mismatched features on a thick body like that of a lion. Its feet are the size of wagon wheels and make an audible WHUMPH as they pad at the floor. A thick pink tongue hangs dopily from its mouth as it sniffs at you and eyes you with brief disinterest.

"Ay up!" the woman barks. "I'm Yvee, what are you doin' here in my mine?"

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rhys > 15/15 HP / 15AC

Resisting all the urge to just go "Oh who's a good boy ya little scamp, yes you are, yes you are~" at the sight of the oversized dog, Rhys was still the first to speak up "You said you were having a wee problem with some goblins you wanted sorted to ya boss, and ya boss sent us. Not much more to it than that I reckon."

Journal

[/quote]

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Plot posted:

Up ahead, a wooden sign has been driven into the ground. It's message is a slightly chilling one. The lack of any symbol written beneath the hastily scrawled alteration means that the culprit is as likely to be a bored youth as it is to be a serious threat. Still, its a reminder - not everyone approves of mega corps.
On their journey toward the mine, he couldn't quite tell if the defaced sign was a foreshadowing of things to come or not. He made a mental note of it, though.

Dwarf posted:

"Ay up!" the woman barks. "I'm Yvee, what are you doin' here in my mine?"
The use of the term 'my mine' hadn't disarmed him, for better or worse.

Rhys posted:

"You said you were having a wee problem with some goblins you wanted sorted to ya boss, and ya boss sent us. Not much more to it than that I reckon."
Benny kept a close eye on the woman's body language as Rhys spoke to her, curious to see if she gave anything away. Was she a loyal employee, he wondered, or did she intend to take the mine for herself? He decides to add something to the mix, jerking his thumb back the way they entered, "Someone hosed up your sign down the hill, by the way." Thankfully, he spoke the dwarven language, so any murmurings from the nearby crew would also likely tip their hand.
pre:
Insight 13 vs. dwarf woman
Journal

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Crimson takes the time to stop and read the sign, trying to determine how old the paint over is, and if there was any indication of what kind of person painted it over. Before following the others in to the mine. As Yvee introduces herself Crimson bows. "Good day Yvee, I am Crimson. And as my compatriots have said, we are here to help with a problem of yours."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Loghain gives Yvee a small, polite nod, allowing his companions to do the introductions while he determines the dwarven woman's attitude towards the group and their employers.
Insight: 1d20+3 21

Journal

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Benny, you're not able to get much of a read on the dwarven woman, but she notices you studying here and raises an eyebrow. Loghain, you on the other hand notice that she seems very relieved to see you all. She seems like a friendly, hardworking woman. She smiles as her dog sniffs at your feet.

"He likes you," she mutters. "Alright, glad you're all here. Don't worry about the sign. We just stopped replacing them. We reckon its just kids anyhow, who knows though, right? Anyway, yeah, the goblins."

She leads you over to a rickety wooden table covered in ink stains and scratch marks. Shuffling paper around she pulls out a hastily scribbled map of some kind.

"This is this section of the mine and right now that's all I want you to worry about. Its basically a winding corridor with rooms off either side. Nothing too complicated. Except that each of those rooms has tiny cracks and holes in it and that's where the blood things are coming from. If we patch them up or cover them then the goblins either smash through the patches, or dig new holes. From where Harrison here keeps sniffing and barking, I reckon there's a whole network of tunnels and stuff round the outside of this patch, more like an ant's nest than a goblin mine."

She rolls the map up and puts it back in the pile of papers. She looks at you sternly.

"The other thing is - these things are weird. They've been down here the whole of The Lich Winter whilst the mine was unused. They've gone a bit... funny. Some of them are bigger than normal, some have tiny horns, I've seen a few that are...what's it called... all white and blind, but they look like they're doing magic. One of the boys says that he saw one with two heads once."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Dwarf posted:

"This is this section of the mine and right now that's all I want you to worry about. Its basically a winding corridor with rooms off either side. Nothing too complicated. Except that each of those rooms has tiny cracks and holes in it and that's where the blood things are coming from. If we patch them up or cover them then the goblins either smash through the patches, or dig new holes. From where Harrison here keeps sniffing and barking, I reckon there's a whole network of tunnels and stuff round the outside of this patch, more like an ant's nest than a goblin mine."
Benny studies the map as it is presented, eager to get a lay of the land. With dozens of fractures and holes and possible entry points, sealing up the mine seemed to be a fool's errand. Perhaps they could simply smoke the goblins out, but without knowing the extent of the size of their hidden lair, that would be a gamble at best.

Dwarf posted:

"The other thing is - these things are weird. They've been down here the whole of The Lich Winter whilst the mine was unused. They've gone a bit... funny. Some of them are bigger than normal, some have tiny horns, I've seen a few that are...what's it called... all white and blind, but they look like they're doing magic. One of the boys says that he saw one with two heads once."
Benny frowns, and comments, "Booyahg, huh?" Looking to the others, he offers, "Can't say I've ever heard of a goblin wizard, but some sort of sorcery isn't out of the realm of possibility." He adds, "Tiny horns, multiple heads, magic powers. That all sort of points towards one thing, you know?" With a wink towards Crimson, he tactfully avoids saying anything inappropriate regarding the tiefling, though you can sort of tell he really wants to do so.
Journal

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Pushing the conversation a little further, and keeping their new dwarf friend involved, he asks, "How do they behave? Do they just attack and run off, or are they after something? Anything in particular they've been stealing or defensive about?"
Journal

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Crimson frowns at the description of the goblins, and notices Benny's wink. And the tact in not saying anything. He is quiet for a bit before eventually speaking. "It sounds as though they may have gone a bit crazy. Perhaps they have been stuck down there with something else. Something that speaks to them. Corrupts them. Teaches them. Dealing with the goblins will be of some importance, but I suspect we will need to look into the cause before this is all over."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Yvee shrugs at your various suggestions, scratching the head of the hulking dog at her side.

"Well, maybe. You're right, if the company wants to really get to the good down below, we'll have to do something about whatever is going on down there eventually. For now though, the jobs simple. We've got a cart heaving with product at the end of the rail. Every time we try and get it up here, the goblins attack. I reckon they're just upset by the noise of the cart screeching on the rails, few of the fellas think that they're smart enough to realise what they're doing. Either way, once we get the cart part way here, they spring out of the walls and..."

There is a still moment of calm as Yvee freezes. Her eyes widen at the same moment her dog leaps and bounds forward, snapping its jaws and barking. A yell of pain echoes down the mine a moment later. Everyone in the room runs for the walls, grabbing at hefty slabs of wood and metal as makeshift shields. You hear them suddenly, scattering footsteps as the first of several rusty arrows shoot forth into the room from various darkened doorways.

An ugly green monster pokes out from the nearest room, waving a crossbow and nattering in some goblinoid dialect. Before you can more to action, it is being shaken violently in the jaws of Yvee's dog.

"You boys want to prove yourselves? Get some target practice in before we move the cart, go clear a room!"

If you want to go fight, here's your chance. Burst into a room and roll initiative, or do something else if you like!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Loghain drops his torch and pulls his shield out moments before the first volley begins. He hefts a javelin and steps forward into the nearest doorway. "Now hear this, goblins! You'll harass these people's livelihood no longer. We shall give you but one chance to cease this senseless battle and declare your terms." Realizing his eloquent speech is probably wasted, he tries again in the off-chance one of the goblins speaks Common: "Stop fight! Talk first!"

Charisma: 1d20+3 18
I gain an additional +2 bonus if that counts as Persuasion. In any event, if the Charisma check doesn't immediately result in people dropping weapons:
Initiative: 1d20-1 14

Journal

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 3, 2018

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Benny casually eyes the goblin being shaken like a dead squirrel by the giant dog, and tries not to laugh. He wasn't fluent in the goblin tongue, though he knew a few Ghukliak words: 'booyagh' meant magic, as far as he'd been told, and 'bree-yark' was what you said when you wanted to surrender. That was, unfortunately, the extent of his knowledge on the subject, and neither seemed very useful in this particular case.

He spent a moment debating what to do. Practically, he wanted to talk it out with the goblins, but the situation didn't really allow for it. The greenskins had launched a surprise attack, so talking them down from their planned course of action would be challenging in the best of scenarios. With a dog the size of a bear eating one of their people alive, and half a dozen dwarven guards and miners rushing towards makeshift weapons and shields, he'd have to talk both sides down in the middle of a bloodbath, which was essentially impossible. Playing the game out a few moves ahead in his mind, it became clear that the best course of action was a show of force. If the goblin assault could be repelled, they would retreat to lick their wounds, and that would put them in a more talkative frame of mind.

That was the goblinoid side of things, anyway. There was also the perspective of the miners to consider. They were currently under attack, and it was an opportunity to make a first impression. If they wanted leeway to broker a peace later, they would need the respect and trust of the miners at that time. For better or worse, the fastest and most reliable way to earn the trust needed to establish peace later was to kill a few goblins now.

Loghain posted:

"Stop fight! Talk first!"
He was a little surprised that the dragonborn was making an effort for a peaceful resolution, and gave him a bit of credit for that. He didn't think it would work, but there was no sense sabotaging the effort.

pre:
Initiative 14
Drawing his bow and notching an arrow, Benny moves towards the door and readies a shot in case things progress down a more violent path.
pre:
Move up to 30' to the nearest door close to the fighting, to get a view of the next room.
Ready an action to attack the first goblin that takes a hostile action after Loghain's ultimatum.
Targeting and timing will wait for someone adjacent to an ally, so as to trigger sneak attack.
Journal

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Crimson looks to Loghain, a bit surprised at the dragonborn's words. Not very eloquent but it might be successful. Of course it might not. So he begins to draw on the fire within reading it to launch a bolt of fire at the first goblin to attempt to attack the party. If Loghain's words work then it is a bit of unnecessary worry, but if they fail then he would at least make the goblins regret their actions.

Initiative 1d20+2 11

Readying an action to use Firebolt upon the first hostile action by a goblin after Loghain's call for a cease fire.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rhys > 15/15 HP / 15AC

"What do ya think you're playing at? He ain't gonna understand ya." Rhys said as the Dragonborn attempted to negotiate with, of all things, a goblin! Still, the thing was in the jaws of Harrison so he could afford to just slowly ready his big hammer, and have a wee nip of the scotch. Even if the good knight good get this one to settle down, who knew how many more there were?

Initiative: 1d20+2 18

Journal

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Loghain's call for reason falls apparently on deaf ears. The chants and barks you hear from the goblins as they pour from the tunnels contain no trace of common, nor even true goblinoid. Instead, the battle breaks out in the different rooms,miners grabbing picks and hammers and lifting more sheets of metal as make-shift shields. Although this is not the carefully orchestrated action of a professional unit, the ease with which they run to their stations suggests that this is far from the first time this has happened.

Benny drops to the nearest door and takes a glance inside. Five ugly shapes are pouring from a hole in the corner, recently burst open with the blow of a hammer it seems. Large yellow eyes glare nastily out from the darkness and then they are in the room, scrabbling forward. They are larger than the creatures you have seen on the surface, though undoubtadly goblins all the same. These creatures are stockier too, built closer to dwarves though only half as tall. Though they are fairly identical to look at, they behave very differently. One charges for you, swinging a length of rusty chain about his head like a rowdy minstrel swinging ribbons. Another lifts a hammer and runs in a straight line for the doorway, bravely pushing his comrades aside to lead the charge. One sneaks to the corner of the room when he sees Benny's face, readying a poorly constructed crossbow and lifting it to chest height. The last stays back, clutching a long spear and clearly not keen to get hurt.

Behind you, there is the clash of metal on metal as the skirmishes break out in other rooms. What do you do?

Initiative: 1d20+2 4

You are all up - Benny and Crimson include your readied actions in your turns!

Loghain: Hp: 14/14 Ac:16
Benny: Hp: 8/8 Ac:14
Crimson: Hp: 9/9 Ac:15
Rhys: HP: 15/15 Ac:15

Rowdy Goblin: HP:7 Ac:15
Brave Goblin: HP:7 Ac:15
Sneaky Goblin: HP:7 Ac:15
Cowardly Goblin: HP:7 Ac:15

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rhys > 15/15 HP / 15AC

"Now This is more my speed, fellas! COME ON IF YA THINK YA HARD ENOUGH!"

Engaging RAGE
Getting in their face
Attacking the Brave Gobbo: 1d20+5 8

In his hurry to charge, Rhys had misjudged just where the Goblin was, and ended up swinging about 2 feet to the left of where he actually was.

Long Rest: Hit Dice (1/1d12) , Rage (1/2)
Journal

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

As the goblins rush forth on the attack Crimson lets loose the bolt of fire he had prepared, though the bolt goes a bit wide. It seems Loghain's words fell on deaf ears..

Taking a moment to adjust for the rush he fires off another bolt of fire at the charging goblin. This time the fires hit.

Readied Action Fire Bolt 1d20+6 9 for 1d10 7 fire damage if that somehow actually hit.

Fire Bolt vs Brave Goblin 1d20+6 22 for 1d10 3 fire damage.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Plot posted:

Loghain's call for reason falls apparently on deaf ears. The chants and barks you hear from the goblins as they pour from the tunnels contain no trace of common, nor even true goblinoid. Instead, the battle breaks out in the different rooms, miners grabbing picks and hammers and lifting more sheets of metal as make-shift shields. Although this is not the carefully orchestrated action of a professional unit, the ease with which they run to their stations suggests that this is far from the first time this has happened.
If anyone were to ask, he could honestly say they tried to find a peaceful solution to this matter. The goblins had either not understood it, or outright rejected it. Either way, he had what he needed to justify what was coming.

Plot posted:

Five ugly shapes are pouring from a hole in the corner, recently burst open with the blow of a hammer it seems.
One charges for you, swinging a length of rusty chain about his head like a rowdy minstrel swinging ribbons.
Another lifts a hammer and runs in a straight line for the doorway, bravely pushing his comrades aside to lead the charge.
One sneaks to the corner of the room when he sees Benny's face, readying a poorly constructed crossbow and lifting it to chest height.
The last stays back, clutching a long spear and clearly not keen to get hurt.
Nobody could ever accuse Benny R. Cane of not being a patient man. Knowing he would need to carefully choose his moment, the half-elf waits until one of his companions bravely charges into the enemy lines.

Rhys posted:

In his hurry to charge, Rhys had misjudged just where the Goblin was, and ended up swinging about 2 feet to the left of where he actually was.
His dwarven companion made himself useful rather quickly, which Benny appreciated. Predictably, the goblins were significantly distracted by a rampaging dwarven marauder -- although Rhys' own attack missed the hammer-wielding goblin by half a mile, the wild swing quickly drew the attention of the goblins within its apparent effective range. His patience rewarded, Benny found the moment he had been waiting for: the goblin instinct for self-preservation briefly drew their focus towards Rhys ...and away from other possible threats. Adjusting the angle of his bow, Benny releases the tension on his already drawn shot, and with a satisfying 't'chi', he sends it careening through the air. The goblin swinging the rusty chain didn't even seem to register the arrow planted squarely in its right eye.
pre:
Reaction: Readied Attack vs. 'Rowdy Goblin'.
  Hit: 21
  Damage: 13 piercing (or 8 without sneak attack)
  Note: This technically occurs on Rhys' turn.
By now, the goblin that Rhys had attempted to carve in half was starting to realize that it was still alive, and Benny could tell that a counterattack against the off balance dwarf was beginning to cross its mind. He remained somewhat keen on the idea of making friends with his new coworkers, so he decided to take the opportunity to put the man into his debt. Given that the goblin was engaged in melee with a wildly swinging dwarf, there wasn't much wisdom in attempting a trick shot for something like the eye or throat. Quickly notching another arrow, the hammer-wielding goblin soon finds an arrow embedded in its center mass.
pre:
Action: Attack vs. 'Brave Goblin'.
  Hit: 21
  Damage: 7 piercing (or 5 without sneak attack)
With two goblins ...'investigated'... Benny was fairly sure he would soon be drawing a retaliatory volley from the crossbow wielding goblin. Intending to shift that risk to his dwarven companion, he ducks behind the doorway for cover, making himself a less attractive target in the process.
pre:
Move: Putting some cover between myself and the crossbow goblin.
Item: Arrow (18) / Oil (2) / Ration (5)
Journal

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Grumbling to himself about the lost art of conversation, the paladin hurls a javelin at the sneaky goblin, impaling it.

Javelin Attack: 1d20+5 15 1d6+3 9
Move to engage cowardly goblin

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Two goblins hit the ground, and one hits the wall, grunting and twitching before they breathe their last. From another room, you hear the sound of goblinoid cackling, followed by shouts of concern, then an small explosion.

"Put down those two!" Yvee barks commands from the central chamber. "That's LGM explosives they're throwing! Hey, you dicks! That doesn't belong to you!"

The sneaky goblin glares up at Loghain as he is backed into the corner. With a sudden, nasty thrust, he catches the dragonborn in the throat. Blood and pain spread forth from the wound, and in the panic, the goblin skitters free and bolts towards the doorway.

Spear Vs Loghain AC: 1d20+5 22
Damage: 1d6+2 7
Goblin gets a free disengage and runs for the door towards the central chamber.

Loghain: Hp: 7/14 Ac:16

Sneaky Goblin: HP:7 Ac:15

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Plot posted:

The sneaky goblin glares up at Loghain as he is backed into the corner. With a sudden, nasty thrust, he catches the dragonborn in the throat. Blood and pain spread forth from the wound, and in the panic, the goblin skitters free and bolts towards the doorway.
As Loghain gets intimately acquainted with goblin penetration techniques, Benny frowns and lays down some suppressing fire in an effort to try to save him from a fatal blow. He can't risk a body shot in the melee, so it ends up going wide and missing the mark, but it still serves as the distraction he was looking to offer.
pre:
Action: Attack vs. remaining goblin
  Hit: 7
Making eye contact with Rhys, he offers in a hurried tone, "You might want to get in on that!"
Item: Arrow (17) / Oil (2) / Ration (5)
Journal

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Crimson watches as one of the goblins tries to get free and run off toward the doorway after catching Loghain in the throat with a spear. "I am afraid I cannot allow that. Terribly sorry but you bring this on yourself."

He calls forth a bolt of fire and launches it at the fleeing goblin, hitting it square in the back with the magical bolt of fire.

Fire Bolt vs Goblin 1d20+6 21 for 1d10 4 fire damage.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rhys > 15/15 HP / 15AC

"I'M WORKING ON IT!" Rhys yelled as he went for the last Goblin, hoping that his vision would clear of alcohol vapour soon enough.

Attack the last Gobbo: 1d20+5 10

Not soon enough it seems as his hammer went wide again. "Dang midgets... too used to fighting armies not little buggers."

Journal

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Loghain > 4 / 11 HP / 18 AC

Loghain roars in pain, swinging wildly at the remaining goblin, but his blade fails to find purchase.

Mechanically this is a ranged attack
Javelin Attack: 1d20+5 13 1d6+3 7

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The sneaky goblin slips past your attacks with relative ease, taking only a small bolt of fire in the process. Cackling and snapping its jaws, it sneaks its way free to an ajoining room. It barks some words and the next thing you know, it returns, this time joined by two of its kin. These are slightly larger than the sneaky individual. One, with a scar across its chest, carries a nasty looking flail. The other, larger still, holds two sticks of dynamite in each hand. It grins at you with yellow, stubby teeth.

"Gods! Take down the ones holding explosives but don't let them drop that poo poo!" Yvee snaps. It's a moment before you realise that she is talking to another room entirely.

Loghain: Hp: 7/14 Ac:16

Sneaky Goblin: HP:3 Ac:15
Flail Goblin: HP: 11 AC: 15
Explosive Goblin: HP:21 AC:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rhys > 15/15 HP / 15AC

"Where the bleeding heck did these bastards come from!? And what's it got in it's hands?" Rhys yells as his vision starts to clear somewhat. Driven by his frustrations of his earlier poor aim, he tries to strike the big one.

Attack the Dynamite Goblin: 1d20+5 14

Raging Maul Damage: 2d6+3+2 12

Journal

• Locked thread