Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaúdios The Lighthouse

[[Klaúdios relates the scene in the room above, as described on the previous page.]]


Epiphanios

Epiphanios laughs gaily and steps forward to accept the jug of wine, but sets it down without drinking any or offering it to the others. "Ah yes, a festival, I would be overjoyed to play for you! I am Epiktetos, friend and guide to these: Theokritos and... Polyteles, his guardsmaster. We have come to take record of the events here so that they can be sung through the ages! Theodo..kritos must keep a clear head to take his records and I've never seen this stoic man take even a drop of wine while on duty, I'm afraid" he patters, turning to place a hand on Praxiteles's shoulder, giving both him and Theodoro a conspiratorial wink in the process.

"I myself simply cannot play rightly unless I keep my wits about me! So, what exactly is the occasion?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Theodoros

Theodoros glances at Praxiteles for a moment, and then improvises. "Indeed, I am Theokritos the scribe. We've come because we've heard of your great deeds and seek to record them for the generations, so hail to thee!"

Jean

"I don't know the cause of their quarrel, but still, one man against nine isn't just, even spirits. We must stop them, peacefully if we can.", Jean whispers.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Praxiteles of Corfu - Fires Adventure

Prax just grunts as it comes around to his turn to introduce himself, having already forgotten whatever name Epiphanios had made up for him. "Nice party, but no drinking on duty. Where'd you get all the ancient bronze crap from? Find a tomb to loot or something?"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaúdios The Lighthouse

Klaúdios looks at Jean, then up at the ceiling, and then the floor. "Okay." he says, crouching to draw and trace over the floor. A scant two minutes later, he stands and shouts loudly in Classical Greek, "CLOSE!", at which the quality of shouting emanating from upstairs immediately changes. Quickly, he approaches and carefully steps over the line of salt to join the other mages inside the ward. "I stopped the fight." he says, not elaborating further as he crouches and starts drawing a small circle on the ground around a simple metal ring he pulled from a pocket, muttering and poking at it, clearly casting a second spell.

[[Klaudios spontaneously casts Barricade of Protecting Stone, creating a pace thick wall of granite in space between the makeshift barricade and door above. Casting Spont "Barricade of Protecting Stone" Level 10 (Base 3, R:Voice , D: Conc, T:Ind. Casting total:: (1d10+32)/2 20. He then works on casting his Ring version of Maintaining the Demanding Spell. Because it involves a perfect geometrical shape (his ring) he can cast it ceremonially due to Hermetic Geometry. This will take him 5 minutes so whatever happens next (Like people charging downstairs to investigate) will certainly happen as he does this. ]]

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

"Mm...while your logic is sound, I see no sigil posted. And so, there is nothing to fear by looking." A technicality, of course, but Eliodoros is far more concerned with the letter than the spirit of this particular law. "Let us take a look. Alexia, lead the way."

The cat laughs. "Do I ever do anything else?"

Katja snorts, making some more notes on her tablet.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lighthouse
Klaúdios casts his spell, and for a few moments, nothing happens. Then, the trapdoor opens, and two figures descend. They eye you all quizically, and move slowly, shields and spears out. Eventually, one of them speaks, in the same dialect of ancient greek. Give me romaic greek roll at a minus -3, or a classical greek roll at a minus -2. The ease factor is 12.

Cave Adventure
You enter through the small passage, expecting to find a lab, but... that is not what you find. Or at least, not a very conventional one. What you find on the other side is a small room, about as large as a one-person bedroom, and in it, several... automatons are walking around. They are slightly smaller than human, but mostly humanoid, and apparently made from rock. Each of them have a word written on their foreheads, but it seems to be the same word, in different languages. Well, after a fashion. On one of them is inscribed, in greek lettering, 'greek', and in another, in latin lettering 'latin.' You also spot what looks like Arabic, hebrew, and... Aramaic?

Fires adventures
The people seem jolly and friendly, at least at first. They gladly accept your explanations and respond merrily. "Ah, but the occation is simply the joy of life! Long have we been forced off-shore, under wine-red wave, but now, we can walk the shore freely, and resume our merry festivities!"
At praxiteles' comment, however, moods turn bitterer. "Looted? Ancient crap?" The man hefts his spear, which looks less than intimidating, as he is wavering back and forth to keep his balance. "This is the armor of my father; and before him, his father, and before him, the heroes of old! Gifted to us by poseidon himself!" Other figures are gathering around as well, and they do not look... pleased. not exactly agressive either, but not pleased.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaúdios The Lighthouse
Klaúdios finishes his second spell, wearing the ring he was fiddling with and straightening up as the figures clamber down the stairs. His brow furrows as they speak and he repeats back what they said under his breath, reaching for a translation.

[[
Casting Klaudios's ring version of Maintaining the Demanding Spell:
Casting Maintaining the Demanding Spell: 1d10+17 18
Casting Maintaining the Demanding Spell (Crit!): (1d10)*2+17 29

Comprehend Language: (So I botched my modifier here and it's actually +2 (I think), but I still succeed due to rolling a 1 and just meeting the EF.)
Language Roll for Ghosts: 1d10+4 5
Language Roll for Ghosts (Critical Hit!): (1d10)*2+4 14
]]

Epiphanios Fires

"Crap? No, not Crap, he said CAP! Such a wonderful bronze cap is so rare to see, he must have been taken by surprise. Do not let his thick accent deceive you, this man is a keen eyed appraiser of priceless relics - and your ancestral gear certainly is priceless: What quality, what wonderful history!

A swift elbow jab is administered where it will do most good.

[[Fast talking in the Fires Adventure, part 2. (+1 if compatible, +3 if faeries): 1d10+8 12]]

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at Jan 22, 2018 around 22:59

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Paisios, Adept of Ermis (Lighthouse Adventure)

[Placeholder for translation]

quote:

Language: 1d10+5 13

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Theodoros

"Indeed", Thedoros...no, Theokritos says. "We honor you. Truly you are blessed, if you have arms and armor given to your ancestors by the Lord of Horses Himself. But where is your foe, that you don your breastplate of shining bronze?"


Jean

Jean tries to concentrate. He has trouble understanding these modern Easterners, but this dialect of Greek seems more like something understandable; more like the tongue of the ancients.

Trying to understand language: 1d10+4 12

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

"Fascinating..."

Eliodoros examines the automata.

"One of our forebears must have been of the House - or a thief. These creations...they aren't my field, but they are quite well-made, I'd say." He watches the walking golems a few moments, then speaks to the one marked Greek. "Can you identify your purpose?"

He follows that question in Latin to the one marked Latin, and Arabic to the one marked Arabic.

It's worth a try, anyway.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Johannus - Cave Adventure

"But how did they make these keep moving? All automatons I know of need regular vis infusions to function... and I've never seen any like this. Why the different languages I wonder..." Johannes muses as he starts taking down notes on what was found in the lab. "Eliodoros, don't try too much. I don't want us to accidentally make these things start doing something when we don't know what they are supposed to do."

Praxiteles of Corfu - Fires Adventure

Prax snorts and gaze wanders over the tarnished bronze for a moment. "That armor is about as shiny as my rear-end. The old sea-king didn't keep any of it protected from the water. I bet those spearheads can't hold an edge because of corrosion. Armor might take a blow, but it's going to chafe like uncured wet leather, and probably fracture along corrosion patterns under a solid hit. I'd have a good smith melt it all down and recast it from molds. You'd loose a few pieces overall, from whatever impurities had to be taken from the slag, but the final gear would be less likely to get you killed." The scarred older warrior spits to the side, not used to talking so much at once.

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Jacques, Fallen Knight (Caves Adventure)

"Moving statues? Some kind of sorcerous slave?" the knight slurs suspiciously.

"Are they dangerous?" he says, gripping his oversized mace more tightly, and staring down the automatons.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

"Yes, yes...we'll have to study these in depth. While they aren't the sort of creation that I hope to find...ah, the possibilities." He pauses, looking back at Jacques.

"Do you not know who you work for? Just stay out of their way for now and you should be fine."

Alexia purrs in a way that probably means she's laughing.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Caves adventure
Eliodoros, you ask the automata if they can identify their purposes. The each reply, in their respective languages, with the same response. "To speak. To learn. To speak again. To learn again."

Fires adventures
At first, the strangers seem to be mollified by Epiphanios' and Theodoros' words, but Praxiteles continued belittlement riles them up. At his suggestion that the stranger reforge their armor and weapons, there is a mightly shout of anger and discontent from the people who have gathered around you. The man who you have been talking to raises his spear and points it directly at Praxiteles. "You insult us, stranger! insult us and our ancestors! leave, be driven off, or prove your accusation in a contest of arms!"

Lighthouse adventure
Jean, Paisos and Klaudios you all understand the basic gist of the language spoken, though a few particulars remain unclear. "Who are you? Did you (Block? seal away? imprison?) the (Adulteror? Traitor?) and (Thief? kidnapper?)? Are you (priests? followers?) of fleet-footed Hermes?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

"...are they intelligent? They speak and understand...that is work that, as far as I knew, was done only by the ancient masters. Heron, Virgil. This is an amazing find! Katja, mark this place. We will need to protect it." Eliodoros rubs his hands together excitedly as his maidservant marks her map. He turns to Johannus. "You understand the significance, yes? These are beyond anything we know of! Ah, I could spend ages questioning them! In fact-"

He turns back and selects the Greek one.

"What do you learn?"

Alexia is more circumspect, watching the golems cautiously. "I can see why this area was sealed off. We may need to remake the seal, when we are done here...but you can come back later, Kyrios. The other tunnels may hold equal treasures."

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Jacques, Fallen Knight (Caves Adventure)

"Ah!" Jacques cries sagely. "They're monks!" he says with a nod of his head. "They read books, then write books about the books they read!"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Epiphanios The Fires
Making sure to seem as nonthreatening as possible Epiphanios edges away marginally, clutching his pipe as he sidles away from Praxiteles.

He considers, careful to keep his thoughts from his face. No, don't use that.. He carries an enchantment meant to make him appear harmless, innocent, and boyish. A lack of armor or sword should accomplish that among these. Running is always an option, ..a quick jump onto one of the rowboats should suffice to escape men in armor.

Epiphanios settles on the simplest course: do nothing and see what happens. Once tension cools a little, it should not be an issue to use his tricks to ingratiate himself again and continue investigation.

Epiphanos looks from one man to another, eyebrows raised.

Klaudios The Lighthouse

"I sealed the door above. We are Magi of the Order of Hermes, this is our tower and we have come to remove you demons." Klaudios responds, in his best, oldest classical greek.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Caves

The statues respond. "Worlds. Old words. Shared words. To speak, to learn, to speak again, to learn again."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

"...hm. Interesting to someone, I suppose, but I can't imagine the amount of labor for such a...strange goal." He looks over at Jacques again. "...monks. You -"

Alexia rubs against his leg. "Let him, let him, it entertains me."

"...ugh. Fine. Johannus, unless you have another idea here, shall we check the other passages? This one...well, we can come back to it."

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Paisios, Adept of Ermis (Lighthouse Adventure)

Paisios steps forward, placing a hand on Klaudios' chest.

"The thrice-great is our patron, and we wish to reclaim this tower in the name of our Order. We are willing of offer our assistance in your battle against your traitor, should that allow us to accomplish our goal."

fool_of_sound fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2018 around 20:23

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Johannus - Cave Adventure

"Astounding, truly astounding... but yes, we should finish exploring before coming back to this. Hopefully the maker left notes on these things..." Johannes mumbles as he writes down a brief description of the room and it's contents.

Praxiteles of Corfu - Fires Adventure

With a sigh, Prax shakes his head in dismay. "I hate to hurt a man without reason, but if I let you walk off in that gear, all of you will end up dead in your first battle. Name your champion, I'll try not to hurt them too badly." One scarred arm reaches over his shoulder to loosen the iron-bound cudgel that lay across his back in it's leather harness.

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Jacques, Fallen Knight (Caves Adventure)

"Right. Monks typically aren't very dangerous anyway. That probably includes statue monks."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Jean(Lighthouse Adventure)

Jean is clearly not happy with the implication that Hermes is HIS patron, but still comes up to Paisos, and whispering in his ear, says, "Stop! Make no commitments or oaths! We don't know for sure why they're quarreling, or who's in the right here or the wrong, and if this place is infested by demons, they'll take advantage of your rashness to tempt you towards wickedness. For the love of God, be careful, and investigate this more!"

Theodoros (Fires Adventure)

Theodoros stands between the two men. "If you're both committed to your quarrel, then let it happen, but before it happen, I would have both your oaths. First, if this is a contest of arms, it is fought simply for honor and for the favor of Ares Oplokharís. Second, that once it is done, it is done, and there will be no more quarrel between the two of you, or between our groups. Third, that you will try to spare each other's lives if you can, but if there is a death, we will all participate in the rites together, and see the dead man down to Hades. Swear this before my mother, the daughter of Nereus."

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Paisios, Adept of Ermis (Lighthouse Adventure)

Paisios speaks softly and soothingly:

"Calm yourself, father. I have a plan."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Jean (Lighthouse Adventure)

"Just be careful your plan doesn't imperil your soul.", the priest whispers back.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lighthouse
The ghosts - you assume - talk among themselves for a few moments, then respond. you listen hard, and translate as best you can. "We are no (spirits? souls?). We are ghosts. We wish only to rest. But the (decietful? cowardly?) thrice-damned dardanian, the cowardly (prince? king? leader?), (spites? angers? insults?) us by some new power. We wish no (harm? wound? danger? upon you, (priests? followers?) of the psychopomp, but we must (vanquish? banish?) him to (hades? hell?)!"

Fires
The figure nods, and smiles. "I agree happily to those terms, but i swear only before poseidon, the rightfull king of the seas."

Caves
You note down what you can here, then return to the large, strangely circular cavern. There are two ways to go off in, and there is still a strange outcropping that breaks the otherwise mathematically perfect circle that forms the cavern's walls. What do you do?

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Paisios, Adept of Ermis (Lighthouse Adventure)

"Can you trap the betrayer here until the equinox? If so, I can guarantee his banishment."

quote:

Identify Dardanoi Artes Liberales: 1d10+10 17

fool_of_sound fucked around with this message at Jan 29, 2018 around 03:02

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

"Now, a systematic search."

Unless someone objects, Eliodoros and Alexia will lead the group first to the nearby alcove to examine it, and then systematically down the two tunnels until something interesting is found.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Praxiteles of Corfu - Fires Adventure

"I am fine with those rules, and I swear to so obey the rules of this contest in the name of the lady of night, Nox, whom I am sworn to serve. Sorry, I can't swear in anyone else's name... my mistress is the jealous type." Prax shrugs in a 'what can you do' fashion, club still in one hand.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Theodoros (Fires Adventure)

It's hard arranging a fight. "Then each of you swear in the name of the god you hold dearest", he grumbles, "And no more fighting, Before a fight is no time to get in an argument."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Fire Adventure
The strange man nods. "Very well. I swear by posidon to ophold these terms." At this, the other figures around you begin forming a circle. As soon as it is formed, he getures to Praxiteles, as if inviting him to take the first swing.

Cave adventure.
You investigate the nearest thing first; it is a large outcropping that breaks the perfect symmetry of the otherwise circular cave, jutting out at odd, jagged edges. upon further examination, you notice that one part of it has a... vauge, but definate resemblance to a face, each of its closed eyes marked with a hermetic seal of binding, blinding and trapping.
Do you examine it further, and if so, how? or do you continue onwards?

Lighthouse
The spirit furrows its brows. "I... Cannot know. We (Fail? Betray?) as he grows; at first, we held him for many moons, but he has become Alexandros Areios, and each that falls to (Terror? Rage? ) returns to guard his flank, and we (betray? flee?) ever-faster"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

Trapping suggests that this is rather more dangerous than the statues. "Mark this on the map, but do not disturb any of the marks here, I think. This could be a threat - we'll want a more full investigation by someone with experience in bindings...or, at least, more experience than I, I think."

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Paisios, Adept of Ermis (Lighthouse Adventure)

Paisios frowns, turning towards his companions.

"We need to construct a way to mitigate the demon's influence temporarily."

"Without preparation, the demon is likely to simply brush off our magic." Paisios explains to the priest. "We may need to risk investigating the demon further, to discover an alternate weakness."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Jean (Lighthouse )

"That's often the way with demons. God allows them to roam on earth to tempt us to sin and to test our virtue.", the priest explains. "To defeat them can never be merely the casting of a single spell, although that might be the culmination of the affair. It will require courage, patience, fortitude, and wisdom: all traits that the demons lack, but that men and women can have in abundance. So be brave, clever, and patient, and with God's help, we won't fail."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Johannus - Cave Adventure
"Hmm, is this a warning, a defense or some kind of cave-fey that is bound? It didn't do anything when we passed it. Worth examining later, I think. Maybe it's tied to the automata in the other room." Johannus muses as he writes down a brief description of the face.

Praxiteles of Corfu - Fires Adventure

With a nod to his opponent, Prax grips his club with both hands and winds up into a heavy swing, aiming to strike his opponent in the chest with enough force to wind the man but not seriously injure him.

Attack roll: 1d10+12 14 - spending confidence for +3, giving me a total of 17.
Damage is 11 + attack modifier

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2018 around 18:20

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios The Lighthouse

"We shall empower these spirits as our protectors as our instruments in this." Klaudios announces in Classical Greek. He then extends a hand to the spectres.

"You, come here."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

“All possible, but without knowing more, I hesitate to disturb the seals.” Pause. “More than I already did, anyway, but I think the larger circle was just for privacy.”

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lighthous adventure
The spirit moves forward, slowly. "What do you plan to do?" he asks.

Cave adventures
Taking a few notes, the group ventures on, down one of the two exit paths. Like before, there is a definate path carved, noticable with your intellego magic. As you walk, the tunnel slowly dips downward and expands out, becoming more like a cave propper, instead of the more narrow tunnel. The cave also becomes wetter and damper, and you see small pools of water around. After a while, you begin hearing... singing? yes, there is definately a feminine voice singing something. it sounds greek-ish, but you can't make out the words.

Fires adventures.
You swing at your opponent, a mighty swing, both fast and strong, but your opponent is quick and just - only just - manages to catch your blow on his shield, though he is driven back. His shield, a bronze shield, feels... more solid than it should be, judging by its corrosion, but still no more solid than you would expect a bronze shield to be. He smiles, shifts his feet, and drives his spear forwards towards you.

defense roll: 1d10+11 18
Attack roll tbd over discord

fool_of_sound
Oct 10, 2012


Soiled Meat

Jacques, Fallen Knight (Caves Adventure)

"Careful. Something is down here with us." the hungover knight whispers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Eliodoros

"...yes, thank you, we hadn't noticed." Eliodoros' tone is acidic. He doesn't mind the damp so much, though Alexia has hopped up onto his shoulders to keep her feet dry. Eliodoros heads towards the voice, largely unconcerned, at the moment, with risk. It could easily be the nereid that would place them back as a legal covenant, after all. Katja is more cautious, being not a wizard and therefore much less at ease with magic singing voices in a magic cave.

  • Locked thread