Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros and his entourage have made themselves at home already. Expensive furnishings (carried in under Katja's stern direction), more expensive cat toys, and of course the wardrobe full of finely made and variously decorated robes. For the council meeting, such as it is, he has selected (or, perhaps, has had selected for him by the careful and watchful eyes of his familiar and his servant) a formal robe in white, adorned with black symbols of meaning to...well, mostly to Verditius crafters and, more specifically, to his own particular confraternity. He is not a large man - not by any stretch - but the outfit is designed to make him seem more imposing. Alexia has perched on his shoulder, while Katja stands back and waits.

"A survey is an excellent idea. I do not feel it prudent to interrupt Alexios more than is needed - his work is clearly important to him. We can meet with him when he comes down for his next meal. As far as governance - we are Greeks. The matter seems to me to be perfectly clear. We elect one among our number to serve as Speaker for a term, and in that capacity oversee the tedious aspects of governance. That way, we each will have a chance in turn to support the covenant without having our time taken permanently with dealing with such...mundane issues, as it were. Obviously, though, for more important matters, we would need to meet and debate."

Alexia purrs softly. "Service to the covenant is, itself, a good idea, Master. I should think that all would gain, were each to be required to serve the covenant in some way during that term."

"...mm. An even division of responsibilities and therefore of benefits as well might indeed serve."

He shakes his head, as the autocrat speaks. "As to salt...it should be relatively simple to separate salt from sea water. It is profoundly inefficient, however, to require a magus' attentions all the time. I could develop a tool that would do it much more quickly and effectively...but it would take me at least a season to develop, as well as sufficient vis. For now...well, if one of us is going to travel to the sea anyway in search of the nereids, that seems as good a time as any to do it for the present. As for what a tool would need...Katja." He holds out a hand, and the girl steps forward almost before her name is spoken, handing him a wax tablet and a small stick. He begins to do calculations.

I'm away from my books but I'd guess it would be a pretty darn simple item to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros holds his tablet out, and Katja quickly collects it.

"A simple tool to produce the effect would take me a single season to make, and require two pawns of vis. Aquam or Rego. I envision a container - copper, I think, so that the tarnish will not greatly affect it. Salt is easily removed from water by transformation to steam. Place water in the receptacle, it becomes steam, flows out through a funnel in the top and condenses once more in a barrel placed next to the container. Simple application of natural philosophy. You will need to scrape the salt out of the container afterwards."

The cat grooms herself, purring softly, as the owl stares at her.

"I concur that we are all selfish - but self-interest, in this case, dictates that we serve the covenant. And the tribunal - once we are settled, it will not do if we are poor citizens. As to their labs..." Eliodoros' lip curls up. "I would prefer to confirm their deaths before I entered them, but....well."

Alexia speaks up. "The law would likely not allow it were it done loudly. It should be quiet. Fortunately, I think this is possible, and certainly I can look into your library for you. You are not cats - you don't have my eyes, to see through walls."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"We cannot simply ignore the world around us. In time, we will have business with it - or do you expect me to refuse tradition and not offer my skills to those who can honor my costs? Likewise, we cannot ignore the people here - it is a poor craftsman who neglects his tools. Any of them." Eliodoros shakes his head. "It will not do if they do not at least have a representative to bring their needs to, when those needs cannot be solved easily on their own. And, of course, you are correct - someone must tally the numbers when it comes to vis usage."

Alexia stretches. "Which I suppose means we volunteer?"

Eliodoros looks down at his cat, then sighs. "If no one else will take the role and we can't agree on a rotation, I suppose that I can organize administrative works like that. But again, frankly, these services to the covenant should shift hands, so that everyone must carry the burdens of the whole in turn." He shakes his head. "On more interesting matters - I will happily look into the caves. I am an elementalist - the earth is no stranger to me."

Katja, meanwhile, has been taking notes on a separate wax tablet, keeping the minutes of the meeting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"Excellent. Katja - gather a small squad of grogs. Six? Six should do. Who knows what moved in while the Aegis was down?"

Katja scurries off to do this, while Eliodoros pets the cat on his shoulder. He turns to Johannus.

"Katja can sketch the basic map, at least. The grogs will handle physical risks and carrying torches. I can keep an eye for dangerous terrain with magic, at least until we have some idea what we face, but it is taxing. My spells are well suited to handling trouble or shoring up dangerous areas, at least. We'll need to be ready to react to...well, whatever we find."

Alexia tilts her head. "My eyes see well in darkness - I can lead you." Her eyes shimmer faintly.

Alexia activates True Sight of the Air to boost her already being a cat and having cat eyes.

Once we get going, Eliodoros will be casting Eye of the Treacherous Terrain, which will almost certainly cost him 1 Fatigue Level: 13 after casting, so yeah, 1 fatigue level lost and now the spell lasts for concentration, once we set out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros frowns as he feels the magic fall off of him, and Alexia's fur bristles as she does the same.

"At a guess, it is meant to affect normal people. Grogs, Katja - be careful. Report to me if you feel anything strange at all as you enter."

A standing spell like this probably means a circle on the ground. Easily destroyed if necessary, but possibly not something he wants to do immediately, until he's sure what it does.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"...well, that would seem to be it. Hold there." Eliodoros kneels next to where the grogs turned back, inspecting the floor. "Alexia, help me find the circle. It should be simple enough to break once we've found it."

He's kept the Eyes of Treacherous Terrain spell up for now, moving deliberately so that he can maintain concentration, at least until he's sure neither he nor Alexia is about to step on something dangerous. Once he identifies where the circle is, it shouldn't be too hard to break it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"Of course it's sorcery! What else would it be here?" Eliodoros stands upright as Alexia pats him with a paw. He looks down at the cat, then follows her briefly until he can see the walls properly, dropping his spell and reaching into his robe to draw forth a small rod.

Chanting, he gestures grandly with the rod and his free hand. One of the runes carved on the walls glows brightly for a moment, then explodes in a massive shower of fine dust - larger than the thing should really produce, but that is more a consequence of Eliodoros' sigil. He pockets the rod once more.

"Mark this spot, Katja. The circle will be easy enough to repair if we desire it, and this was meant to protect something."

Fist of Shattering. No roll because I literally do not need one - I can cast this spell in my sleep.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"Mm...while your logic is sound, I see no sigil posted. And so, there is nothing to fear by looking." A technicality, of course, but Eliodoros is far more concerned with the letter than the spirit of this particular law. "Let us take a look. Alexia, lead the way."

The cat laughs. "Do I ever do anything else?"

Katja snorts, making some more notes on her tablet.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"Fascinating..."

Eliodoros examines the automata.

"One of our forebears must have been of the House - or a thief. These creations...they aren't my field, but they are quite well-made, I'd say." He watches the walking golems a few moments, then speaks to the one marked Greek. "Can you identify your purpose?"

He follows that question in Latin to the one marked Latin, and Arabic to the one marked Arabic.

It's worth a try, anyway.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"Yes, yes...we'll have to study these in depth. While they aren't the sort of creation that I hope to find...ah, the possibilities." He pauses, looking back at Jacques.

"Do you not know who you work for? Just stay out of their way for now and you should be fine."

Alexia purrs in a way that probably means she's laughing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"...are they intelligent? They speak and understand...that is work that, as far as I knew, was done only by the ancient masters. Heron, Virgil. This is an amazing find! Katja, mark this place. We will need to protect it." Eliodoros rubs his hands together excitedly as his maidservant marks her map. He turns to Johannus. "You understand the significance, yes? These are beyond anything we know of! Ah, I could spend ages questioning them! In fact-"

He turns back and selects the Greek one.

"What do you learn?"

Alexia is more circumspect, watching the golems cautiously. "I can see why this area was sealed off. We may need to remake the seal, when we are done here...but you can come back later, Kyrios. The other tunnels may hold equal treasures."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"...hm. Interesting to someone, I suppose, but I can't imagine the amount of labor for such a...strange goal." He looks over at Jacques again. "...monks. You -"

Alexia rubs against his leg. "Let him, let him, it entertains me."

"...ugh. Fine. Johannus, unless you have another idea here, shall we check the other passages? This one...well, we can come back to it."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"Now, a systematic search."

Unless someone objects, Eliodoros and Alexia will lead the group first to the nearby alcove to examine it, and then systematically down the two tunnels until something interesting is found.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Trapping suggests that this is rather more dangerous than the statues. "Mark this on the map, but do not disturb any of the marks here, I think. This could be a threat - we'll want a more full investigation by someone with experience in bindings...or, at least, more experience than I, I think."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

“All possible, but without knowing more, I hesitate to disturb the seals.” Pause. “More than I already did, anyway, but I think the larger circle was just for privacy.”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"...yes, thank you, we hadn't noticed." Eliodoros' tone is acidic. He doesn't mind the damp so much, though Alexia has hopped up onto his shoulders to keep her feet dry. Eliodoros heads towards the voice, largely unconcerned, at the moment, with risk. It could easily be the nereid that would place them back as a legal covenant, after all. Katja is more cautious, being not a wizard and therefore much less at ease with magic singing voices in a magic cave.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"Well, I would assume she speaks Greek. But if you mean breathing water...hm."

Alexia hops off his shoulder, flicking her ears. "Count me out. I am not swimming."

"I would not ask you to." Eliodoros shakes his head. "I have a better idea, anyway - I'm out of practice with that particular spell, but really, all we need is her attention." He turns to the Jacques, drawing a small rod from a pocket. "Throw your torch over the water and light another."

Then he forcefully gestures at the torch, pronouncing his spell. The flame begins to pop wildly, sizzling and releasing long strings of many-colored smoke. The flame bursts out in short streamers around it. It may be a good idea to throw in order to avoid minor (and relatively harmless, but painful) burns.

Casting Show of the Flames and Smoke to get attention, at least until the water puts out the torch. No roll needed - I can't fail it and I'm not stressed, so no botch chance.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros bows - not especially low, but enough to be polite. "I am Eliodoros of Verditius." Alexia hops off his shoulder and preens herself. "And I am Princess Alexia of the cats." Eliodoros does not miss a beat. "My companion and I, among others, have taken residence in this place anew. Am I to assume you were the guardian spirit of this covenant?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros smiles. "And a pleasure to meet you, Lady Ague. While we had heard that the covenant's former patron was a nereid, your beauty was not done justice in the descriptions. I hope that, despite the length, you would be willing to meet with our council above and renew that pact. It has been a long time since magi have lived on this island, but we have returned in force, and we would give you the honors due your station."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

"...ah." Eliodoros' smile fades. That changes things - and is potentially a risk. "Seeking what, then, and who? You may have come here before we did, but this is our place now. If you plan to stay, I should hope you plan to cooperate."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros returns from the caverns below, making a report to...well, anyone at the council that will listen, about the spirit he met in the caves and her search for her sister and some stolen trinket, and her belligerence, oath of vengeance and all that. He is quite clear that he thinks her a scheming and treacherous creature, though he is unsure if she is fae or not, and believes she will try to make herself a nuisance to the covenant in general and himself in particular. He also describes the golems they discovered.

"And," he adds, "I plan to spend the season working. If any of you have requests for items that might serve the common good, give them. If not, I will busy myself with work on a project of my choosing."

Haven't decided on seasonals for magus or companion yet, but tossing out some info.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros has a very busy season ahead of him. First, he prepares a letter, to be sent to his parens in Alexandria.

Honored Basia, Axiocersa, adelfi, I greet you in all love and honor.

May the hands of the twins guide your own. Alexia and I have settled well here. Already we are making allies and enemies, as I have had to assert our rights to a water-spirit of some variety who has been living on our home's site for some time. This was, perhaps, a reckless decision - she could have been our prostatis, to officialize ourselves. I hope for higher things, however, and will offer my fellows the possibility that we seek patronage from the Kabeiri themselves. Would this not be a coup?

I hestitate now to put pen to paper, for what else we have learned shakes the foundations. Here, in our very home, one of our forebears walked before us. Here, I have found automata of great ability - capable of speech, of understanding, of learning. I am undertaking a course of study, for such ability is known only to the ancients, to Heron of greatest fame and glory, and to Virgil, whose ways never came to these shores. My heart soars, for in this, there is hope. I had thought my quest to begin in Constantinople, in search of books, and here I find something much greater! I shall of course keep you informed of the status of my work, as I hope you shall with me.

Alexia sends her love and regards, and has thoroughly claimed ownership of the local felines. I look forward to seeing you again, and of walking deeper into the caverns of knowledge with you. i must end now, that I do not keep the Redcaps waiting overlong.

Forever your adelfos,
Eliodoros, Axieros

Having sent that off, he assigns to Alexia the task of procuring and organizing agents in the city of Constantinople. (Alexia, being a cat, is perhaps not going to have the easiest time of this, but she is a very skilled plotter and believes herself well up to the task. She dictates a number of letters to Katja, to be sent to prospective agents in order to begin recruiting and searching for rumors of uncorrupted texts of Heron in the city.)

With their correspondence finished, the pair then begin the work of selecting one of the golems - the one that speaks Greek, ideally - and herding it into their lab, where a season of investigation begins. Eliodoros puts the creature through its paces, testing the limits of its knowledge and physical abilities, taking copious notes all the while. It is a tiring matter, but the pursuit of Heron and the secrets of the mechanika drive Eliodoros to heights of scholarship.

This is a TN 18 Int+Magic Theory check, with +3 from Inventive Genius.
RPBotBOT - Today at 8:29 AM
@morsrattus rolled 15. (4, 11)
Pushed to 18 by spending a Confidence point; if the thing can be made a source of Insight into the secrets of one of Awakened Device ('it is a person') or Mutable Device ('its enchantment can be altered') then it is. Eliodoros ends the season with a lab text detailing an effect that will provide research points when created, even if he is not yet capable of making it.

He also gets the following as a total to tell how the thing's abilities are utilized, per the Study Mechanika rules:
RPBotBOT - Today at 9:01 AM
@morsrattus rolled 30. (6, 24)
30 vs its spell or effect level.

Spending the adventure XP instead of the 2 lab xp, tho.

Thorald Bragason

Thorald, for his part, is happy to spend the season avoiding having to deal with the magi directly, and instead working to drill the local turb, as is his job. He's a good commander, if not the best teacher - he's more in the hands-on drilling line of work, though he is slowly improving. What free time he has is spent with Aliye, Sigrun and Derya. His wife Aliye is a minor scribe among the covenfolk, and the two are a common sight together whenever both are free; they are deeply in love. Their children are children. Sigrun is around seven and is a rowdy, troublemaking little girl who gets into mischief, while her sister Derya is a five-year-old who mostly follows her (and sometimes other people) around and asks questions, ranging from silly to surprisingly clever to extremely embarrassing.

Thorald is maintaining his lifestyle by doing his job for the one season he has to, thanks to his wealth. He earns 2 XP for doing so, I think, having not been on an adventure.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros

Eliodoros calls for, if not a meeting of the council, at least as many of the magi as will listen to him. Once he does, he explains: "I have an idea as to where we might get a patron, far better than the aqueous temptress that is squatting beneath our home could ever have been. There is an island near here, Samothrace, which is known well to me. It is home to an ancient temple to the gods known as the Kabeiri, the forge-brothers of Hephaestus. Their power is great, and it would be an honor for any covenant to have their patronage. I know of their rites, and I believe they would be excellent patrons, should we provide for them a worthy sacrifice and argue our case." He also notes, though far less urgently, that in the autumn his mater, Basia, will be coming to visit from Alexandria, and that he intends to show her full honors.

In short, Eliodoros wants to head to Samothrace to try and recruit the gods he worships as the patrons of the covenant. It's a short trip - the place is very close.

Thorald

Thorald, meanwhile, putters about the covenant, playing with his kids and spending time with his wife. He is a large Norse man, happy to help anyone who speaks to him

Thorald will be happy to hang out with and help anyone that needs it. He's big and strong and knows a surprising amount about the local area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliodoros - The Meeting

"Do we not? We have automata below that are unlike anything that has been made in centuries. We have two Verditius here - and myself a smith. Do you think we will not make wonders? Besides...the Kabeiri are my gods, to be quite frank. I know their rituals because I have performed them. They are already my patrons - why not have them be our patrons?"

Eliodoros - The Ship

Eliodoros, likewise, is ready to meet the ship when it arrives. "Isaias, my friend! Welcome to our home. With luck, this place will thrive well before your grandchildren are born! Luck, and perhaps some work we've already begun...but come, come! You must tell us of your travels, as well!"

• Locked thread