Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

Theodoros is sitting back in his chair. A big man, he's dressed simply, almost as if dressing were an afterthought, and he seems to be hard in concentration looking at a speck of dust. "It doesn't have to be the Nereid, you know. As our sponsor, I mean. I know she was before, but we can make new arrangements. Maybe even with a God; Poseidon, or Ares, or Apollo. No reason we can't try, at least. Be quite an honor to be sponsored by a God. Even if we can't, there's a lot of power around here. You can feel it. Lots of faerie spirits. Oh, have any of you looked at the charter yet? See if there's anything too offensive in there?" He keeps his eyes on the speck of dust.

"We need to find a way into the library too, you know, and figure out what those strange fires are at night. There are spirits that do that, you know. Light fires at night. Sometimes they guard treasure. Of course, they could just be ghosts. Could be anything, really." Then he smiles, the dust mote having apparently done something amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

"Ah, well, someone needs to be the, ah, well, the public face of the covenant, do they not? Deal with the non-mages and such, engage in matters of covenant governance. Most covenants have one, don't they? And, if so, no reason, it shouldn't be rotating. After all, we're not a tyranny here, and all should do their part. It's, err, a selfish man who only worries about his own affairs." He continues staring at the sunlight.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

"Those fires across the straits. If no one else is going to find out what those are, I suppose I'd better, shouldn't I?" He turns out of the light, and the other mages can see his eyes are bloodshot. "Could be something interesting. Could just be shipwrecked people, though."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

"Well, suppose I should get a boat and row on out to the channel. Anybody coming with me to look for the fires? Anybody?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Fr. Jean Chambris

A boat rows up to the island and man steps out of it. He observes the landscape around him warily, and then looks distracted for a moment. Finally he sighs and says, "You have led me here so that I might do His will. I will do so the best I can.", and walks up to the covenant, past the peasants gawking at him, Knocking on the door, he waits until it's opened by the doorman, and says, in poor Greek, "I is Father Jean. You have demon in house of light. I will help you."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

"We should move further up the shore and approach by land, I think. It's less threatening that way. Besides, best to cover our approach. I don't want to get a spear through my chest, and I'm sure you don't either", he whispers to Praxiteles . As they row past in the dark, Theodoros peers at the spearmen around the fire, hoping he can discover something....anything about them.

Awareness: 1d10+2 7

Jean

Jean examines the herm. "Pagan gods.", he says. "They are pagans, but pagan gods will not help against demons. Only the true God can do that, But faith and fortitude will see us through. And remember, demons always lie. All they say, all they show you will be lies." He speak to himself, and it seems like he almost is praying in French. "Advise me, angel, I beg. We face evil here."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

"Shh. We don't want to be spotted. Keep going, but row quietly", he whispers.

Just to remind you. We're not landing at the fires. We're beaching away from them and going forward on foot so as not to startle them.

Jean

Jean nods. "Yes, we must act. There are souls in danger." He looks inquiringly at the newcomer. "You are joining us, yes?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

Theodoros glances at Praxiteles for a moment, and then improvises. "Indeed, I am Theokritos the scribe. We've come because we've heard of your great deeds and seek to record them for the generations, so hail to thee!"

Jean

"I don't know the cause of their quarrel, but still, one man against nine isn't just, even spirits. We must stop them, peacefully if we can.", Jean whispers.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros

"Indeed", Thedoros...no, Theokritos says. "We honor you. Truly you are blessed, if you have arms and armor given to your ancestors by the Lord of Horses Himself. But where is your foe, that you don your breastplate of shining bronze?"

Jean

Jean tries to concentrate. He has trouble understanding these modern Easterners, but this dialect of Greek seems more like something understandable; more like the tongue of the ancients.

Trying to understand language: 1d10+4 12

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean(Lighthouse Adventure)

Jean is clearly not happy with the implication that Hermes is HIS patron, but still comes up to Paisos, and whispering in his ear, says, "Stop! Make no commitments or oaths! We don't know for sure why they're quarreling, or who's in the right here or the wrong, and if this place is infested by demons, they'll take advantage of your rashness to tempt you towards wickedness. For the love of God, be careful, and investigate this more!"

Theodoros (Fires Adventure)

Theodoros stands between the two men. "If you're both committed to your quarrel, then let it happen, but before it happen, I would have both your oaths. First, if this is a contest of arms, it is fought simply for honor and for the favor of Ares Oplokharís. Second, that once it is done, it is done, and there will be no more quarrel between the two of you, or between our groups. Third, that you will try to spare each other's lives if you can, but if there is a death, we will all participate in the rites together, and see the dead man down to Hades. Swear this before my mother, the daughter of Nereus."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean (Lighthouse Adventure)

"Just be careful your plan doesn't imperil your soul.", the priest whispers back.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Theodoros (Fires Adventure)

It's hard arranging a fight. "Then each of you swear in the name of the god you hold dearest", he grumbles, "And no more fighting, Before a fight is no time to get in an argument."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean (Lighthouse )

"That's often the way with demons. God allows them to roam on earth to tempt us to sin and to test our virtue.", the priest explains. "To defeat them can never be merely the casting of a single spell, although that might be the culmination of the affair. It will require courage, patience, fortitude, and wisdom: all traits that the demons lack, but that men and women can have in abundance. So be brave, clever, and patient, and with God's help, we won't fail."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean

Jean can, he thinks, follow the mathematics of Klaudios's speech, or at least some of them, but he seems visibly uncomfortable about the casual discussion of magic.

Theodoros (Fires)

"Here, let me look." He heads over to the injured man? Fairy? Probably fairy. Still, his spells should work. He kneels next to the wounded warrior. "I know charms and incantations to Asklepios. They may help sooth your pain and speed your healing, if you are not too hurt. Let me see." He inspects the wounds, and then, placing his hands on the man's arm, begins to softly chant.

Casting Purification of the Festering Wounds, CrCo 20. Base casting total is 18 + Aura Modifier.

Purification of the Festering Wounds: 1d10+18 26

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Seasonal Activities for Spring 1220

Theodoros

Theodoros hurries into his study, troubled. Who were these Atlanteans (for that was what he had named them in his mind, though he had thought Atlantis was at the western end of the sea)? Were they spirits taking the form of men, or men in truth, merely warped and twisted by the gods. He would write his master, the wisest man he knew, and see if the man had any advice.

Theodoros to Lucan, his pater, gives greetings

Hail to you, most noble pater and kyrios. May you be blessed forever by the Twelve who dwell on Olympus. We have reestablished the covenant and are seeking a patron. However, we have encountered men of strange mien on an island next to the covenant. They all have strange countenances, and they claim to live on the ocean floor where they farm seaweed. Have you heard of any such communities near Anatolia? Could these be spirits, or actual men rewarded by the Earthshaker?

I finish this now so that the redcaps may collect it. My deepest love to you, dearest pater, and to all those of Aegeia. Know that I am yours to command should you but call on me."

The letter done, Theodoros puts it aside, and starts reading "The first flame of knowledge", in the hope that he will discover the secrets of intelligo.

Jean

Jean, meanwhile, the matter with the demons under control, at least, travels to Constantinople, to seek permission from the Emperor to build a church and a school.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 10, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean-Constantanople

Jean seems somewhat taken aback. This, then, is the Emperor's court? Much as it had fallen in decline, the city had been the second in the Empire....first, really, as Rome and the rest of the west had fallen into disunion and war. And, it had been founded by the Emperor Constantine as solely Christian, free of the pagan roots that had so marred Rome. And now he was being asked...what? To agree to a bribe by an official? A quid pro quo? The school for this man's brother getting the trade route for the dye the mages controlled. Jean wasn't naive. He really wasn't, and he knew about the corruption of courts; the desire for self enrichment over the public good, but that didn't mean he enjoyed being part of it. He'd have to be careful here. Although....

"You must understand, of course, that I'm not close to the magi on the island. They have no reason to listen to me. I can certainly mention to them that your brother is a merchant and is interested in trade, but I can make no guarantees that they will pick him. Nor do I know your brother's skill at his job, nor the solidity of his firm." He looks at the food on his plate, not looking at the administrator. "I would facilitate introductions for anyone who asked, sir. I thank you for the meal. Sadly, though, i find myself called away by other engagements. Good evening, sir."

Jean-the Lighthouse

Jean frowns. "I'm no exorcist, nor am I saint to cast out demons with a command. I will do my best, though. I am somewhat familiar with the ritual."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean-The Lighthouse

Jean looks sourly at Klaudios, and then, crossing himself, begins. "Confitemini Domino quoniam bonus, quoniam in saeculum misericordia eius."

Saying the mass.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean-The Tower

Jean looks around the tower warily, trying not to touch anything. The demon is gone, thank God, but his work here still isn't done. There are still the warrior ghosts. He's not sure about this; it's outside his experience, but still, he has to act anyway. These are restless souls; souls in need of peace. He walks over to them, and asks, "Friends, would you tell me more of what you believe?"

Theodoros-The Council Chamber

"It is not impossible that the Kabeiri be our patrons, of course, but would it not be better if our patron be a god or spirit of the sea? Consider, we live on an island. All our wealth comes from the sea. We know that we have neighbors under the waves sworn to Poseidon. Why not, then, find a spirit of the waves?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Jean

Jean tries to communicate, though the Greek is archaic. "I find your beliefs interesting, because I'm also interested in matters of religion", he explains. "But perhaps we can talk more about this? i can learn more of your beliefs and you of mine?"

Trying to engage in theological debate with the intention of converting the ghosts.

• Locked thread