Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johannus

"Do you really imagine that any of us are not selfish? Still, I imagine that having some kind of organization in place will result in fewer unscheduled disruptions to our individual workings. And speaking of... I strongly feel that we should investigate what works our former colleagues may have left interrupted in their labs when they disappeared. Alexios seems... unlikely to have done any poking around himself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johannus

Johannus gives Klaudios an odd look at his non-sequitor, but otherwise ignores it. "Look, we have plenty of time. Each of us can poke around where we feel best, figure out what we have to work with, and make plans from there. I agree that the villagers and servants can look out for themselves while we take stock. We should each claim our room, mark our labs so the others know where to avoid, and then we can meet again in... lets say a week, to go over what each of us has found. I would suggest that we not hide anything we find during this time, and treat all discoveries as shared resources. We may be selfish, but trying to hide things from each other will only lead to us antagonizing each other more than usual."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johannus

"We aren't discussing ignoring the covenfolk entirely, just that we don't need to deal with them today or this week. I have no issue with handling their needs and complaints as long as we can schedule times that they can bring their issues to us. Anyways, I'll take a look at each lab as we find it, make a list of what it contains. I won't remove anything unless we come to a consensus on what we consider the final status of our former covenmembers to be."

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Dec 29, 2017 around 18:14

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johannus

"Elidoros, I shall offer my assistance in mapping out the caves, since there are likely labs hidden away in the depths."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johannus - Cave Adventure

With a somewhat annoyed sigh, Johannus spends a moment to slowly and clumsily focus his gift in ways that he was rarely used to, seeking to feel the magic that had touched his Parma Magica and find where it had come from. Glancing at the floor, the young mage shrugs and looks back at the grogs to motion them in. "Room is enchanted. Weak, not sure what it does, but it's probably not going to kill anyone. Lets keep moving."

Detecting magic - Intelligo Vim spontanious casting (Base 5, +1 touch, +0 momentary) = (16 + stress die)/2 = 12 - Success!
This takes 2 rounds (slow caster) and a point of fatigue

Praxiteles of Corfu - Fires Adventure

Already stiff from the boatride, Praxiteles stands up in the rocking boat to look out at the fire and the dancing figures. Spitting off the side of the boat, narrowly missing one of the rowers, the older guardsman grunts and looks back at Theodoros. "Could be bandits with too much wine. Might be pagans having a party or a ritual. Could be something else. Don't like the look of those sticks though. Want us to get in closer? I could, uh, try to get a closer look myself, if we pull in down the coast. Sneaky like."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Assuming that somebody went through the effort of spelling a passage through the rock and keeping grogs away for a reason, this is probably one of the labs. Care to take a peek so we can map it out before moving on?" Johannus asks Eliodoros. "If you don't feel comfortable, I can come back after we finish mapping out everything else."

The strange speech and shapes of the party-goers confuses Prax for a moment. None of the other locals looked or spoke anything like this, and surely such odd folk would have been gossiped about! He could barely understand half of what they said. Something was odd here...

Glaring menacingly at the man even as he takes the jug of wine that is handed to him, the warrior invokes his Second Sight.

Second Sight: 1d10+2 8

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Prax just grunts as it comes around to his turn to introduce himself, having already forgotten whatever name Epiphanios had made up for him. "Nice party, but no drinking on duty. Where'd you get all the ancient bronze crap from? Find a tomb to loot or something?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"But how did they make these keep moving? All automatons I know of need regular vis infusions to function... and I've never seen any like this. Why the different languages I wonder..." Johannes muses as he starts taking down notes on what was found in the lab. "Eliodoros, don't try too much. I don't want us to accidentally make these things start doing something when we don't know what they are supposed to do."

Prax snorts and gaze wanders over the tarnished bronze for a moment. "That armor is about as shiny as my rear-end. The old sea-king didn't keep any of it protected from the water. I bet those spearheads can't hold an edge because of corrosion. Armor might take a blow, but it's going to chafe like uncured wet leather, and probably fracture along corrosion patterns under a solid hit. I'd have a good smith melt it all down and recast it from molds. You'd loose a few pieces overall, from whatever impurities had to be taken from the slag, but the final gear would be less likely to get you killed." The scarred older warrior spits to the side, not used to talking so much at once.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Astounding, truly astounding... but yes, we should finish exploring before coming back to this. Hopefully the maker left notes on these things..." Johannes mumbles as he writes down a brief description of the room and it's contents.

With a sigh, Prax shakes his head in dismay. "I hate to hurt a man without reason, but if I let you walk off in that gear, all of you will end up dead in your first battle. Name your champion, I'll try not to hurt them too badly." One scarred arm reaches over his shoulder to loosen the iron-bound cudgel that lay across his back in it's leather harness.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"I am fine with those rules, and I swear to so obey the rules of this contest in the name of the lady of night, Nox, whom I am sworn to serve. Sorry, I can't swear in anyone else's name... my mistress is the jealous type." Prax shrugs in a 'what can you do' fashion, club still in one hand.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Hmm, is this a warning, a defense or some kind of cave-fey that is bound? It didn't do anything when we passed it. Worth examining later, I think. Maybe it's tied to the automata in the other room." Johannus muses as he writes down a brief description of the face.

With a nod to his opponent, Prax grips his club with both hands and winds up into a heavy swing, aiming to strike his opponent in the chest with enough force to wind the man but not seriously injure him.

Attack roll: 1d10+12 14 - spending confidence for +3, giving me a total of 17.
Damage is 11 + attack modifier

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2018 around 18:20

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Such beautiful sound" Johannus mumbles as he stares into the water. "Maybe this is where the Siren lives? Do we have any way to talk to her?"

Stepping back from the fight, Prax shoulders his club and raises his left hand in a sign of peace. "Sorry about that. Thought you'd deflect that blow like the others, I should have held back more. Got anyone here good at bone setting?" The scarred face grins after a moment. "At least your gear held up better than I thought it would. Guess Poseidon keeps better care o' your fathers stuff than I thought."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johannus will create a spell for creating the snails our villagers need for dye production. He has absolutely no experience in Aquam, but that's alright, it gives him an excuse to experiment.

Spell Name: Bounty of the Sea
Rego Aquam 20
Range: Touch
Duration: Momentary
Target: Group
Effect: Causes a mass of sea snails to generate in a body of sea water
(Base 5, Touch +1, Group +2)

Lab Total = 22 (6 Rego + 0 Aquam + 2 Intelligence + 3 Magic Theory + 5 Magic Aura Level +6 Inventive Genius)

Experimentation Simple Die: 1d10 1 - Lab total is now 23
Experimentation Stress Die: 1d10 1 - Explode
Stress Die Explode: 1d10 6 - Extraordinary results of 12 - roll twice.
Experimentation Stress Die (roll twice): 2#1d10 1 5 - another explosion and 5
Experimentation Stress Die (explosion 2): 1d10 3 - becomes 6.
Exciting Experimentation stress die: 1d10 7

Exciting Experimentation Roll 1: Roll twice - Two side effects!
Side Effects: 2#1d10 10 6 - Minor side effect + Fatal Flaw
Exciting Experimentation Roll 2: No Benefit

End result: Snails that cannot dye anything!

Prax will spend the season exploring the surrounding lands

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2018 around 19:13

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Johannus

Why didn't it work, Johannus kept asking himself as he glared at the notes he had scrawled on paper. The spell worked on basic principles, it created the vermin that he needed, but they were... imperfect, somehow. It was beyond baffling. Part of him wanted to try again, to see if he could experiment until the spell worked perfectly. It was challenging him, after all. Another part of him knew that a flaw in such a simple spell, dealing not with the control portion but the aquam portion, meant that his understanding of aquam itself was in fact flawed. His parens had never cared much for it, so he had rarely been shown anything dealing with it.

So close to the ocean though, an understanding of aquam might certainly help his crafting later on. Wood imbued by seawater was an idea that kept coming up in his mind, though he had not yet bothered to do a real investigation of it.

Johannus is going to skip straight to studying aquam vis this season, to try and figure out why his new spell has failed in such an odd way.

Prax

Upon his return from exploring the surrounding land, Prax returns to the Covenant to resume his guard duties, but makes it a point to locate Melminius the Autocrat to report his few odd findings.

"So I went for a wander, get to know the land and see if there was any sign of rogues or squatters. Didn't find any real sign of those, just a burned patch of grass, but... well, I see things true, if you get what I mean. And I found this stone that's not actually there, and it's hiding the corner of a building that's mostly inside a cliff. Like the cliff grew up around it, somehow. It might be worth looking into, but I'd rather have a magus around if anything queer is going on. Oh, and I found a spirit goat, but it just wanted to be left alone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Prax

"Something was here, foundation's intact... The sea and wind probably pushed sand over it at some point, but I don't see any walls, just stone hidden from normal sight." Prax complains to himself. "Lets see if we can dig a bit deeper here, looks like an entryway to me. Might be something intact behind it."

Prax directs the grogs to dig around the opening against the dune