Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

It was far too early for Paisios. The curly haired young magus leaned to the side, propping up his head with his arm, eyes shut. A large, golden brown owl rested on a nearby empty chair, clearly asleep. The other magi likely wrote him off some time ago as apathetic to the problems being discussed. Nevertheless, he finally shook himself awake with a soft sigh, blinking sleep away from his dark, bleary eyes. He begins to speak softly, his speech tinged with the archaic tones the others had quickly come to associate with the Egyptian Greek.

"I will be able to divine a preliminary survey of the covenant buildings in a matter of days, unless you would prefer I focus my efforts on the island itself first. Stellar influences are strong here; my findings should be fairly thorough."

The owl blinks slowly awake, rasping softly and fluffing her feathers.

"Perhaps another can speak with good Alexios, should it be possible to interrupt his work. It would be prudent to compare my findings to his recollections."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melminius, Autocrat

"As I have informed the learned magi," the stern eunach begins, the fainest hint of irritation in his voice, "the village cannot support the work of your Order until dye production and trade can be resumed. The produce of fishermen and hunters alone struggles to support Master Alexios, much less a half dozen of his colleagues."

He calms, continuing, "Blessedly, I am informed that the magics required are quiet rudimentary. If the learned magi can simply call forth the loathsome snails from the sea, there are still many women who remember the trade. The only other requirement is copious salt, but as I understand, your magic can easily extract the required amounts from seawater?"

His eyes narrow and his nostrils flare, "There is, of course, also the matter of the change in governance..."

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Melminius, Autocrat

"I assure the learned magi that I more than capable of dealing with any mundane matters, should you not wish your work disturbed."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

"I believe that I can fairly quickly discern the method by which the wards on the library may be bypassed. Failing that, I can certainly determine if an alternate entrance is possible. The lighthouse may be somewhat more difficult, depending on the nature of the apparent haunting. As for ah, pagan spirits, that seems to be your area of expertise, Theodoros?"

"As for governance, I see no reason that we should not allow Melminius to maintain his position. Certainly he has managed effectively thus far, even in the face of... whatever has befallen the previous occupants. I see little reason for an sort of permanent or rotating office for the magi. A simple charter of duties and privileges, and periodic meetings, should suffice, I think?"

The owl narrows her eyes at Eliodoros' cat.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 29, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

"'Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets'" Paisios says sleepily, shutting his eyes again. "All of us here are blessed with wisdom, and can surely understand that generosity and loyalty will be met with the same."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

"If these matters are settled for now, I will begin my investigations this evening. We should meet again to discuss our findings in a few days time. Er, perhaps over dinner next time?" Paisios yawns.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

quote:

Library Divinations:
---Divine the door [InTe 25]: Discerns at voice range all mundane properties of the door (1.25 hours) Success
---Divine the enchantments [InTe 30]: Discerns at voice range all magical properties of the door (1.5 hours, needs 5+) Success
---Divine layout [InTe 15 with requisites]: Discern the visible mundane property of layout of the structure and its major contents (one round) Success
---Divine active magics [InVi 25]: Discern the presence, location, and approximate magnitude of any active magics in the structure (1.25 hours) Success

Library Divinations p1: 4#1d10 8 9 10->0 10->0

Library Divinations p1 botch checks: 2#1d10 3 1 (No Botches)

Paisos shook his head, a waste of time. The entire structure was substantially warded against prying eyes. Paranoid indeed, for magi benefiting from an Aegis. If nothing else, it proved the library substantially defended. Investigation would be impossible until they were more firmly established. The magus rubbed his temples, the conflicting messages in the stars were headache inducing. Perhaps he would have more luck with the lighthouse.

quote:

---Compile daily horoscope for lighthouse (1 hour) Compile daily horoscope: 1d10+11 13 Success
---Divine the recent traces of ghosts throughout the lighthouse (InVi 30) (3 hours total) Failure, then retry for Success
Lighthouse Divination: 1d10+25 35->25+1=26 Lighthouse Divination botch check: 1d10 9
Lighthouse Divination second attempt: 1d10+25 29+1=30

Mars in Carcer, Saturn in Mors, first Decan of Aquarius... not a welcome sign, but also not a terrible surprise: a demon was behind the unquiet spirits haunting the lighthouse. Paisios uttered a prayer quickly before continuing his reading. The demon had deceived some small number of lost souls into its service; it was possible it coerced the loyalty of minor devils as well. More hopefully, it meant that the destruction of the lead demon would likely end the haunting.

A more chilling though came unbidden to Paisios' mind, inducing him to cross himself: one or more of these ghosts could be the trapped spirit of a previous inhabitant.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 5, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

A single candle lit the ground beneath the starry night. Paisios knelt, but held his head high and back straight. He stared down the accursed lighthouse, the sympathy in his heart raging against the tragedy the demon had wrought upon the lost souls trapped within. He closed his eyes, and issued a prayer for their salvation:

"Holy Balthasar, who loved the Lord even before His coming, we beg your prayers to our God for the salvation of these lost souls, that they might find rest in the Kingdom where there is no pain or sorrow or fear. We beg forgiveness for their sins by thought, word, and deed, for none save our Lord are without sin. We plead that by Christ, who through his Cross destroyed Death and defeated Satan, they be delivered from evil and granted life eternal. In the name of the Lord; Amen."

Pray to St Balthasar to lay the ghosts to rest: 1d10+2 10 (Nothing)

He would repeat the prayer each night. He could only hope that by the time he and the other magi banished the demon and its deluded followers, his prayers would be heard and the lost souls would escape the Hell the devil no doubt wished to drag them down to.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 6, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis (Lighthouse Adventure)

"Do not discount Thrice-Great Hermes, good father. While pagans called him a 'god', Lactantius and Holy Augustine tell us he was a wise prophet of the Lord. He is the patron of our Order for a reason." Paisios chided the foreign priest as he examined the shrine. Paisos froze as he heard the voices above. "Be prepared to retreat if we are overwhelmed, father, and do not break this circle!" he hissed as he begins to sprinkle salt while whispering a prayer the angel Gabriel.

quote:

Casts Circular Ward Against Demon (Level 15) Cast ward: 1d10+13 14 (Critical) -> Cast ward: 2*(1d10)+13 25 (Success)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Paisios stares at Klaudios, blinking several times. "Ah, perhaps later, my friend? There is devilry afoot higher in the tower." He looks about sheepishly, "Though it seems that it is disinclined to investigate our intrusion..." He turns to the priest at his side, "Perhaps we should continue our investigation?"

Jacques, Fallen Knight (Caves Adventure)

"Sorcery?!" the Frank rumbles in dull surprise, his single eye, still bloodshot from hangover, glaring into the darkness.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"I am not a strategist, but I dislike the idea of climbing through a hatch into what could be a waiting ambush... A moment."

Paisos ushers the others as far away from the trapdoor as possible, and begins incanting the magics of Mercury and Carcer. His hands blur as they trace planetary sigils in the air as his gaze bores into the trapdoor. As the spell reaches its crescendo, Paisos shouts "Open!". The trapdoor slowly, gentle begins to move.

quote:

Casting Unseen Porter: 1d10+13 23->13 (Success)
Botch test: 1d10 3 (No Botch)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

[Placeholder for translation]

quote:

Language: 1d10+5 13

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"Moving statues? Some kind of sorcerous slave?" the knight slurs suspiciously.

"Are they dangerous?" he says, gripping his oversized mace more tightly, and staring down the automatons.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"Ah!" Jacques cries sagely. "They're monks!" he says with a nod of his head. "They read books, then write books about the books they read!"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Paisios steps forward, placing a hand on Klaudios' chest.

"The thrice-great is our patron, and we wish to reclaim this tower in the name of our Order. We are willing of offer our assistance in your battle against your traitor, should that allow us to accomplish our goal."

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 25, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"Right. Monks typically aren't very dangerous anyway. That probably includes statue monks."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Paisios speaks softly and soothingly:

"Calm yourself, father. I have a plan."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"Can you trap the betrayer here until the equinox? If so, I can guarantee his banishment."

quote:

Identify Dardanoi Artes Liberales: 1d10+10 17

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 29, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Paisios frowns, turning towards his companions.

"We need to construct a way to mitigate the demon's influence temporarily."

"Without preparation, the demon is likely to simply brush off our magic." Paisios explains to the priest. "We may need to risk investigating the demon further, to discover an alternate weakness."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"Careful. Something is down here with us." the hungover knight whispers

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"We must protect the innocent, of course, but it is also vital that we trap the foul spirits within the confines of the lighthouse. Can you achieve both of those things, Klaudios?"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Paisios keeps up with Klaudios' explanation to the best of his ability, while trying and usually failing to get in a word edgewise. Eventually, when a lull is achieved, he manages to add his own contributions

"Right. Carcer is, of course, the the dominant house and certainly Pisces is a major influence. The Moon will govern the integrity of the circle and... hm, yes I should calculate for Saturn as well. It seems that the fiend in question draws from the negative influences of Mars... hm. I'll have to consider this."

quote:

Spell Horoscope: 1d10+11 15 (Creates a +5 spell horoscope for the ceremonial casting. The exact hour is up to Magnusth, if he cares)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

Paisios seeks out any covenfolk planning on making a journey to Abydos, so that he could purchase various incenses requires to banish the demons haunting the tower. He make a mental note to ask the other magi if they require anything.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The demon was definitely going to kill the arrogant sorcerer. It was going to happen, and it was going to be awful. Jacques slowly shuffled off to the side, his knuckles white on the hilt of his massive mace. Maybe the sharp tongued sorcerer would drive the demon into a fury, and give him an opening. Hopefully that would be enough.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Paisios, Adept of Ermis

Paisios sails for Abydos, to purchase frankincense, sulfur, and other useful reagents and incenses.

Upon his return he weaves purifying energies from the celestial spheres into the acquired incense, infusing it with the power to banish the demons of the lighthouse back to the Pit.

Lab Horoscope: 1d10+11 13 (+4)

Experimentation: 1d10 2 1d10 1 (+2, no extraordinary effect)

Perdo Vim Lab Total: 37 (5 Aura + 3 Int + 6 Magic Theory + 4 Perdo + 4 Vim + 3 Frankincense sympathy + 3 Sulfur sympathy + 4 Lab Horoscope + 3 Familiar + 2 Experiment)

Eight small bundles of fine white cloth, filled with frankincense and sulfur, enchanted with The Harrowing of the Faithfuls' Dwelling: Strips 10 Might from all demons within a touched structure

PeVi 20 (General Base, +1 Touch, +3 Structure) + 34 Penetration (+17 effect levels) = 37

[Eight Harrowing Incense bundles created as charged items]

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 4, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"So in short, the good father's exorcism, enhanced by this purified incense and assisted by Klaudios and I, should scourge the tower of infernal influences." Paisios explains, while insistently trying to hand Klaudios one of the prepared censers. The other magus appears to not understand the gesture.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Isaias, Merchant Adventurer

The covenfolk were deeply suspicious of the small, exotic looking ship that had sailed into their port overnight, and the Ethiopian crew who spoke little Greek. Their leader, a small but handsome man with darkest skin and a rich laugh, however, dispelled much of the distrust by sheer charm.

"A fine location indeed, my friends," Isaias chuckled, "Illias must have been a true wonder! The beauty, wealthy, and wonderful trade opportunities here... why, I would not be surprised that my grandchildren will find a true city here once again! How are you fairing, wise men? Please do not let me forget your gifts!"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Melminius, the Autocrat (to Prax)

"We've been fine without those wizards for a decade now. Recruit a few able bodied men and investigate yourselves before you bother them. The last thing we need it to make them think we they're needed for every problem!" the autocrat grunts ruefully. "Take that healer girl, Silvia, with you. She's been taught about that sort of thing."

(Silvia is one of my grogs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Isaias, Merchant Adventurer (The Dock)

"The war goes badly for the Latins in Egypt. They are confined to their foothold, and it is expected that they will lose even that. Across the Sea, the Prince of Rome's wars threaten my trade." the dark man says, shaking his head with a dark chuckle.

"Not all goes poorly, however. I have met a man in Alexandria with contacts among the desert caravans, and soon my hold may carry some exotic beasts from beyond even Ethiopia!" The strange white haired ape that Isaias kept as a pet, and according to his boasts, a scribe, bared his teeth and hissed at his master, who laughed. "Well, I know those of your order often are interested in oddities, and most treat them well. I have heard tales of one in particular: a sort of mole that creates castles beneath the earth. Now how's that for a tale!"

"These are yours, Epiphanios you scoundrel! I cannot imagine why you were so desperate to procure these, but nevertheless, chickpeas, cultivated by the Caliph's own gardeners." he says, tossing the man a small bag.

"And this is for you, Eliodorus." he continues, lifting another small parcel. A small, intricate brass box, no larger than an outstretched hand. "A young master in Alexandria has taken to making these, and they have grown popular with the wealthy. The mosaics in the lid can be moved, and are built into a cunning lock."

"And I've this ivory shatranj set for for my clever friend, Klaudios. And I supposed that laggard Paisios is still asleep..." he says, glancing up at the morning sun.

• Locked thread