Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios shakes his head sharply, almost a twitch of negation. "Sure we do" He interjects flatly. His eyes go glassy and lose focus for a few seconds as the assembled swing their own gazes around to look at him. After the moment passes, and just as someone else begins to speak he barrels on "There is a woman in the next room pretending to clean plates who is primarily standing at the window sighing."

Before anyone can respond to this apparant nonsequitur he moves on, evidently running through an speech composed in his long silence.



"The mundane concerns of the covenfolk will wait. It will take us some time to resolve more pressing matters. Until then, we should permit them to handle their own affairs. I see little reason to lord directly the covenfolk and less in traveling to the mainland to treat with lords wanting to deal in the village's produce. These villagers are surely capable of managing well without magi interference, given Alexios' habits. It is reasonable for us to augment the Covenant's food stores to support ourselves in the mean time, however tedious without a permanent solution.

We will need one of us to shepherd and tally our magical resources, and to facilitate voting. Why would we need a spokesman to speak on our behalf, and to whom?

Further, it stands to reason that if we are to resume industry, the previous covenant had methods to solve these issues. We should therefore make effort to recover details, if not devices, already within our reach before attempting to reinvent as well resume. I suggest that we apply ourselves first and foremost to subduing the covenant library. Once its defenses have been neutralised, it will be simple for me to catalogue its contents - magnifying our subsequent efforts.

Then we must apply ourselves to contracting a patron, and only then can issues of formal governance and commerce take priority."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios
"Eliodoros clearly wants to do this job, so let him do it." He turns to address the fretting eunuch, "You, find him if you need anything. Or find me and I'll find him for you. Once we sort our business, we'll sort yours."

Epiphanios

Shrugging, Epiphanios volunteers himself, "I've been assigned to help here for a few seasons, so whatever you need help with, I will probably be... around."

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


The meeting continues for a while as the assembled magi discuss the practical details of working together on new undertakings. Eventually, each retires to their varied lodgings for the night. In his quarters Klaudios sits in meditation, using skill and magic to review his memories of the day, as he does at the end of every day.

The only interesting event this day was the first meeting of the nascent covenant revival. Walking ghostlike among a perfect memory of the magi (and sole mundane) caught midspeech he notes the important beats, as he sees them: the points of inflection, in which each magi sets forth a clear goal. The motivations of the others are as always a half-revealed mystery, even after close repeated observation, but goals make sense.

Paisos - Divine the Keys to the Library
Johannes - Investigate the Labs
Eliodorus - Explore Caverns
Klaudios - Fixing Buildings and various Craft Magics/assisting Paisos
Theodorus - Investigate the Mysterious Fires

No consensus was reached on Covenant Governance, so the group will reconvene frequently to deal with issues as they arise. As they meet for a common evening meal at least every other day anyways, this will not present difficulty.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios applies himself busily to the practical problems facing the covenant and village, as posed by Melminius. First, the requirement of salt and other practical goods. The village is short on silver, as the lucrative trade in dyes and prepared food dried up as the former magi of the Covenant vanished. Once that trade is resumed, a portion of its proceeds will go back into the supplies required to continue industry. For now, Klaudios thinks he can supply the village with what it needs. He directs the fishermen of the village to the small rocky beach by the dock, and requires them to bring as many clean barrels and shovels as they can carry. Naturally, they do not take kindly to being ordered around by a scrawny stranger from up near the lighthouse, mage or no. After the generous assistance of Melminius, ever eager to seem important, this task is eventually completed and barrels line the beach.

Muttering under his breath, Klaudios gesticulates forcefully at the ground and a small section of sand tamps flat, a perfect circle pressing itself around the edge as if drawn by an invisible hand. The magus steps into the circle and begins humming and muttering under his breath, sometimes turning and looking at the sea, other times considering the barrels. Shortly, he stops this mysterious activity and begins another, even more mysterious but much more impressive activity. Sweeping from edge to center of the circle and back again in a complex pattern, Klaudios chants and gesticulates widely with his arms. It's almost as if he is tracing out the countours of invisible shapes or.. perhaps moving in response to an invisible current, like kelp caught in a riptide. The observant among the watchers just notice that his shuffling steps have traced out a shape like several nested circles when he stops and makes a whipcracking motion, calling out in Classical Greek "Hearken unto me, O waters, and yield me thy bounty!". All eyes stare expectantly at the sea, which twinkles in the late morning light, evidently unperturbed. A scant moment later the small crowd pivots as the barrels fill, one and all, with uncountable grains of good quality sea salt! With the work of minutes, Klaudios has more than replenished the village's salt supplies, necessary for preserving fish to trade for grain and other necessaries. It is true, mages have returned to the island, mages who will actually be helpfu- wait, where did he go?

Problem solved, Klaudios stomps the ground back into blankness with a VERY well practiced little spell and trudges back off towards the covenant. Over the course of the afternoon, several other minor issues are resolved via magical intervention. For the most part, this is uneventful, though the solutions Klaudios supplies do not always satisfy their recipients for reasons that would be obvious to anyone but him. Chiefly, some dilapidated buildings are patched and improvements are made to chimneys and hearths. By the evening, Klaudios is tired of trying unsuccessfully to manually square his room and instead opts to "cheat" and cast a version of "Perfection of the Well Designed Chamber" intended for wooden buildings, to the alarm of other occupants as the place lets out several ominous creaks. Much better.

At the end of his day, he takes a final meal with Paisos in a common dining area, though this is in the middle of Paisos' "day". Upon hearing his news about the Library's enchantments, Klaudios sweeps the various dishes to one side of the table - Paisos manages to rescue his drink - and using a finger sketches out a rudimentary plan for a laboratory built around the door of the Library. This plan is eventually scrapped when Paisos points out that building the structure isn't the problem, even with a space for the laboratory the covenant doesn't as yet have the resources to put... a laboratory in the laboratory. This is indeed a problem, but one that will need to wait for tomorrow with all of the other problems of the world. Klaudios retires, with a plan to set out from his chamber early the next day to begin experimenting with cave mapping techniques.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios - The Lighthouse

The door to the lighthouse landing crashes open and Klaudios stomps into the room, bursting in on the quiet moment and immediatly beginning to speak.

"Paisios, I have better plans for the Very Large Lab. The Library is surprisingly well built. Instead of a detached structure conjoining to the door mechanism via vestibule, the lab could be easily braced against the Library. I spent all morning double checking my calculations."

As he goes on he takes in the scene, walking curiously over to the overturned jug and peering inside. He stops, and blinks owlishly at Paisus. "What?"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios The Lighthouse

Spurred by Paisos' decisive action to continue exploring the Lighthouse, Klaudios makes up his mind. "Very well, I will join you, I think I will be of great aid." he says. He treads no more delicately than before to stand directly beneath the now open trap door, head tilted sharply back to stare up at the hatch. After a second he looks back down and says...

[[Klaudios casts the rote "The Craftsman Observes His Distant Handiwork", shifting his viewpoint to look out from a point through the open trapdoor, and goes on to give a description of what he sees. Klaudios has a fine attention to detail but tends to care about different details than other people and has trouble understanding what someone else will find important.]]


Epiphanios Fires (The beach)

Epiphanios jumps out of the rowboat as it reaches ground, quickly stepping ahead of the two hunters still pulling the boat ashore to catch up with the magi. Quietly clearing his throat to make himself known without too much startlement, "Let me do the talkin' and I'll let y'all do the shockin' if it comes to it." he hoarsely stagewhispers, miming zapping attackers with a wiggling of his fingers.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Kla˙dios The Lighthouse

[[Kla˙dios relates the scene in the room above, as described on the previous page.]]


Epiphanios

Epiphanios laughs gaily and steps forward to accept the jug of wine, but sets it down without drinking any or offering it to the others. "Ah yes, a festival, I would be overjoyed to play for you! I am Epiktetos, friend and guide to these: Theokritos and... Polyteles, his guardsmaster. We have come to take record of the events here so that they can be sung through the ages! Theodo..kritos must keep a clear head to take his records and I've never seen this stoic man take even a drop of wine while on duty, I'm afraid" he patters, turning to place a hand on Praxiteles's shoulder, giving both him and Theodoro a conspiratorial wink in the process.

"I myself simply cannot play rightly unless I keep my wits about me! So, what exactly is the occasion?"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Kla˙dios The Lighthouse

Kla˙dios looks at Jean, then up at the ceiling, and then the floor. "Okay." he says, crouching to draw and trace over the floor. A scant two minutes later, he stands and shouts loudly in Classical Greek, "CLOSE!", at which the quality of shouting emanating from upstairs immediately changes. Quickly, he approaches and carefully steps over the line of salt to join the other mages inside the ward. "I stopped the fight." he says, not elaborating further as he crouches and starts drawing a small circle on the ground around a simple metal ring he pulled from a pocket, muttering and poking at it, clearly casting a second spell.

[[Klaudios spontaneously casts Barricade of Protecting Stone, creating a pace thick wall of granite in space between the makeshift barricade and door above. Casting Spont "Barricade of Protecting Stone" Level 10 (Base 3, R:Voice , D: Conc, T:Ind. Casting total:: (1d10+32)/2 20. He then works on casting his Ring version of Maintaining the Demanding Spell. Because it involves a perfect geometrical shape (his ring) he can cast it ceremonially due to Hermetic Geometry. This will take him 5 minutes so whatever happens next (Like people charging downstairs to investigate) will certainly happen as he does this. ]]

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Kla˙dios The Lighthouse
Kla˙dios finishes his second spell, wearing the ring he was fiddling with and straightening up as the figures clamber down the stairs. His brow furrows as they speak and he repeats back what they said under his breath, reaching for a translation.

[[
Casting Klaudios's ring version of Maintaining the Demanding Spell:
Casting Maintaining the Demanding Spell: 1d10+17 18
Casting Maintaining the Demanding Spell (Crit!): (1d10)*2+17 29

Comprehend Language: (So I botched my modifier here and it's actually +2 (I think), but I still succeed due to rolling a 1 and just meeting the EF.)
Language Roll for Ghosts: 1d10+4 5
Language Roll for Ghosts (Critical Hit!): (1d10)*2+4 14
]]

Epiphanios Fires

"Crap? No, not Crap, he said CAP! Such a wonderful bronze cap is so rare to see, he must have been taken by surprise. Do not let his thick accent deceive you, this man is a keen eyed appraiser of priceless relics - and your ancestral gear certainly is priceless: What quality, what wonderful history!

A swift elbow jab is administered where it will do most good.

[[Fast talking in the Fires Adventure, part 2. (+1 if compatible, +3 if faeries): 1d10+8 12]]

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at Jan 22, 2018 around 22:59

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Epiphanios The Fires
Making sure to seem as nonthreatening as possible Epiphanios edges away marginally, clutching his pipe as he sidles away from Praxiteles.

He considers, careful to keep his thoughts from his face. No, don't use that.. He carries an enchantment meant to make him appear harmless, innocent, and boyish. A lack of armor or sword should accomplish that among these. Running is always an option, ..a quick jump onto one of the rowboats should suffice to escape men in armor.

Epiphanios settles on the simplest course: do nothing and see what happens. Once tension cools a little, it should not be an issue to use his tricks to ingratiate himself again and continue investigation.

Epiphanos looks from one man to another, eyebrows raised.

Klaudios The Lighthouse

"I sealed the door above. We are Magi of the Order of Hermes, this is our tower and we have come to remove you demons." Klaudios responds, in his best, oldest classical greek.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios The Lighthouse

"We shall empower these spirits as our protectors as our instruments in this." Klaudios announces in Classical Greek. He then extends a hand to the spectres.

"You, come here."

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios The Lighthouse

"If you are not lying, I will extend a protection against diablerie over you, so that you can contain and isolate the threat above. Then we will purge it.

Otherwise, we shall seal the tower and destroy all demonic influence within it at the equinox. If you maintain your purity until then you spirits should be unharmed. If not, you will be destroyed.

Take my hand, you three, but careful: do not disturb our circle."

Klaudios maintains his open hand, reached forwards just to the inside border of the protective ward.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios The lighthouse

Nodding, satisfied by the ability of these spirits to cross the magical barrier, Klaudios smiles back at them. He clears his throat, "Oh, well. It will take a minute to arrange the spells. I will protect you against fell powers, my allies against mundane harms."

Epiphanios Fires

Laughing with well disguised false joviality, Faniskos breaks the wary tension still binding the bonfireside circle. "Now that matters of honor are settled, we return to party, brothers at arms! Come, play and drink, and I will accompany our wild celebration!"

Fetching the earlier discarded ewer of wine he presses it to one of the men standing dumbly at the edge of the assembled onlookers, trying to disperse the crowd so that Praxiteles may treat with the defeated soldier without further challenge or disruption. Moving on may be best, as not all the men might have settled in their hearts after the contest.

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2018 around 18:02

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios The Lighthouse

Blinking owlishly towards the door, Klaudios does not hesitate to reply, "Yes, if the demons within are not of exceptional strength. Construction will take some hours, but the tower can be sealed, yes. I will go out to the river and gather river clay, from which a durable ring of hard ceramic will be constructed. Purify the clay, and divide the ring diameter into arc segments to be joined and hardened. The diameter required will be approximatl- "

He continues on, rambling until uninterrupted about the exact methodology of constructing a ring that resists the elements as economically as possible, then continuing to describe the structural features of the lighthouse itself and something called an "arcanopraxic bounding shape", a term he appears to have made up on the spot. Pretty clearly, the answer is "probably".

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios
Klaudios casts two non-fatiguing spont on a large quantity of rough clay dredged from the river banks. First, a spell to shape lengths of clay into arcs of a great circle, mathematically calculated and precise and with a joining notch. Then, after this ring is set into the ground around the structure, a second spell to fire the pieces hard in an instant, turning them into an ugly and rough but very durable ceramic ring. It won't last forever, but unless someone takes a hammer to it, it should last quite a long time.

Sculptor's Precise Hand (ReTe 4) (Base 2, T:I R:T D:Conc)
The Quick Kiln (ReTe 4) (Base 2, T:I R:T D:Conc)


Then, the ward circle finished, Klaudios sets up a ritual space: inscribing intricate geometrical designs and patterns into a second much smaller circle touching the ward. At the appointed hour he begins the ceremony, burning scant amounts of sulfurous perfume as he stands stock still in the casting circle, head down and arms outstretched as he mutters to himself. Suddenly he lurches forwards and sets off tramping around the ward tracing out its boundaries with arms straining, upstretched. Finally, he returns to the circle and throws his arms down with a shout. The ugly smoke of the sulfur - used in the covenant for fumigating pest infested houses clears away in a rush.. but otherwise nothing appears to happen.

[[Casting "The strongest ReVim Ward against Demons possible".: 1d10+22 26]]

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Epiphanios Fires

Epiphanios whistles at the impressive show of tenacity and raw shown by the soldier setting his own shoulder, not an easy feat by any means. He brushes past Praxiteles and places a hand on his arm as he does so. "Be careful, and do not fall into this trap." he says softly as he goes by. "I will return, let us meet at our boats in a short time, go to the shore and carry a fire there as a signal to gather." he announces more loudly to his companions, then he is off.

The revelry is in full swing once more, and Fanisko is in his element again. Just another one of many faces flashing in the fire light, he winds among the revelers, making sure to keep the rowboats in sight. Sometimes he plays his panflutes and stamps his feet along with dancers, others he leads a small band in a raucous drinking song, always surreptitiously passing his rough hewn cup of wine to another without drinking any. Eventually he sidles up to a drunk yet still coherent soldier and greets him warmly as he has several others to no avail. "Well met, brother, and welcome ashore! What kept you noble men astride the waves all this time?"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Fires

Epiphanios moves on, but this grain of insight and others like it lodge in his mind, slowly coalescing into pearls of what is hopefully knowledge. After some time passes he notices bobbing light at the edge of the beach, too small and isolated to be anything but his companions ready to return to the island. Trading his place on the hunter's rowboat to take a ride in the small boat with Praxiteles and Theodoros, he shares what knowledge he gleaned.

As far as he can tell, these folk are some kind of seafloor denizens, likely some variety of faerie tasked with fighting creatures of the deep in accordance with the various rules and oaths of the faerie kind. He does not think that they represent any kind of immediate threat, though perhaps their oceanic battles might be of future concern. Why begrudge these straightforward folk their land celebration, just because their coming and going spooks the covenant folk? Surely if they are assured that the nighttime revel is not sinister, there won't be a problem!

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Seasonal Activities for Spring 1220

Klaudios

Klaudios labors in the laboratory for a season, working towards finishing inventing his spell "Setting the Dramaturgical Memory Palace". Conceived as he traveled back from his pilgrimage to Samos. Irritated at the idle voyage back, he set about conceiving a way to keep his lab with him everywhere. Having heard of a spell that allowed the copying of an entire tome into the caster's Memory Palace, he had a good idea of where to start and set to work on it immediately upon returning. Traveling to Ilios interrupted this work, and now that everyone is somewhat established there is time to complete it. His experimentation in the first season of work paid off, so all that is left in this season is to finish the straightforward parts of spell formulation.

Klaudios requests the use of 5 of the covenant's pawns, 3 creo and 2 mentem, for use in casting his ritual.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios The Lighthouse

Klaudios eventually takes the censer offered to him, immediately setting it down on the ground.

"The barrier has held, it should be simple to use your enchantment to clear the premises - no saints required. I will go find us some people to hold the implements."

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios - The Lighthouse (End of Spring)

Klaudios looks from Jean to Paisios, who is making a sort of wafting swinging gesture at him, in confusion. Then his eyes slide down to the unlit censer on the ground in front of him and everything seems to connect up. Grumbling, he takes up the censer and it instantly is set alight at his touch. Collecting another, he sets it alight with a touch and it to Jean to hold while he continues incanting the holy mass. He then hurries ahead to overtake Paisios, leading the two other magi on a circuit of the enchanted boundary before entering into the tower itself for a winding journey of spiritual fumigation through it.

Klaudios - The Meeting (Start of Summer)

"We have no great forges here, why would these forge faeries want anything to do with us, or us with them?" Klaudios asks point blank.

Epiphanios At the docks: The Merchant's Ship

Fanisko wanders down the short dock, whistling merrily in the bright morning air as if he had nothing at all better to do. "Ah, a trading ship! And what chance, to be a ship I know well, as well as any landman can!" he exclaims, coming forwards through the gathered folk moving barrels to and fro. "Isaias, you lousy cur, good to see you!"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Klaudios and Epiphanios The meeting

"Oh. Right." says Klaudios, receding. The connection was not obvious, as it lay outside of his own activities of the season. Now that it has been pointed out it makes sense enough. It is still not quite clear to him what boon, useful to the people of this island, the forge gods of Samothrace could provide but it harms none to ask one.

Epiphanios leans in, tucking the small knife he had been using to clean under his nails after eating back into his belt. "Though our friend may have driven off the spirit in the caves, there are other watery gods here and spirits of the woodlands. While he is off insulting the gods of other places, I could seek them out? The strange men of the beaches seem to be in service to some great power of the seafloor, who may fight on our behalf if we intervene on his."




[[
To help keep track of what's going on, the current scenes are:

The meeting - Whereby the council of magi deliberate on Summer Activities in search of a patron. (All Magi)
The Ship - Wherein companion Isaias is introduced (Isaias, Epiphanios, Eliodoros)
The Stone - Melminius and Praxiteles organize an excavation not yet begun
Constantinople? - At which Jean visits the Church and bargains for educational rights (This scene may be over?)

The Meeting presumably happens near the start of summer as the magi decide what to do with their season, the ship could be any time after Isaias arrives as it's an rp scene I believe, and the Stone is an rp scene preparatory to a Summer seasonal activity. Constantinople is a Spring activity scene.
]]

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at Mar 26, 2018 around 02:54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Epiphanios (The Dock)

Laughing nervously, Epiphanios objects. "I think you have something mixed up friend, it was I who asked after the beasts of the south not some silly Levantine seeds, EhHhaha... Of course, as he says this he quickly pockets the small satchel of dried beans, attempting to deflect from the embarrassment of having received a delivery of aphrodisiac beans in front of another member of the Covenant. Chickpeas of one type or another are reasonably common all along the inland sea, but this particular rare black variety is difficult to come by even far to the south. The fistful of seeds should be enough to get a small garden of the legumes growing on the island, and perhaps eventually some growing wild in the faerie-rich forest soil on the mainland.

Clapping Isaias again on the shoulder Epiphanios launches on from the awkward laughter, now committed to his gambit. "So, where is the critter, did you bring it with you? I will fetch the silver I promised you!" Surely the trader will have something Epiphanios can use to save face without eating through all of his redcap wages.

  • Locked thread