Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

And just like that it was over. Poor Deak Leaflover failed in his divine quest in Chapter 2, felled by a bounty hunter in Naskel inn. It was an unfortunate death I think, perhaps complacent on my part. On the road to Nashkell there are now 3x Flaming Fist guards in platemail armour and between Neera's blindness spell and Deak's flameblade we managed to dispatch them with ease. This must have given the company false confidence, leading to a mass hold person / confusion barrage from the bounty hunter in the inn. With everyone except Imoen incapacitated Deak had no chance with his leather armour.

That being said, I am so impressed with how well the EE version works on my pc now I am considering playing through Planescape Torment instead of yet-another-BG-run. I've grabbed it for £5 in the sale which seems like a steal and all the chat about it in the main thread has tingled my nostalgia-gland. Obviously I have an Autosave of poor Deak, but its not in the spirit of this thread to continue his adventures.

mitochondritom fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So let's try this again.

Meet Corbomite B. Hayes, Half-Elf Dragon Disciple

Not a born hero at all.

(Not pictured: Corbomite A. Hayes, who thought he could Burning Hands some skellingtons to death at level one. He...could not.)

After the usual Candlekeep stuff (Shank and Carbos eat a chromatic orb to the face and then a dagger to the face, and I wander off with Firebead's my Identify scroll and Nessie's my Antidote potion), Corbo heads off to Beregost with an eye toward assembling a party of upstanding and reliable adventuring folk to assist in his quest for vengeance and also fire.

Like this wandering megalomaniac!

And this dwarf who is not at all drunk.

Also Finch, Combat Librarian.

We sort out the caravan robbers since Kagain's already complaining. Between Tiax's overpowered-at-this-level ghast, and Corbo's overpowered-at-any-level Sleep spell, it's not a problem.

Nor is Tarnesh. Like, at all.

And with Jaheira recruited and the band together, we are off to sensibly investigate the crisis in Nashkel hunt basilisks.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
I might give this a try, it seems like fun and I never did finish BG1. What mods are some of you folks using though? I downloaded BG1 enhanced edition but my character creation screen looks nothing like Suspicious or Softface's.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Keebler posted:

I might give this a try, it seems like fun and I never did finish BG1. What mods are some of you folks using though? I downloaded BG1 enhanced edition but my character creation screen looks nothing like Suspicious or Softface's.

In this specific case it's not a mod at all, the different looking character screen is what it changes to if you have the Siege of the Dragonspear expansion installed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Welp, basilisk hunting (mostly) went well. The two vampire wolves I tried and failed to dodge on my way back to the temple (to raise Jaheira AGAIN)...less so. Also I remembered how much I don't like playing pure-class wizards/sorcerers. (I know they're powerful, I just don't enjoy them.) I need the occasional reminder.

RIP Corbomite B. Hayes, Cautionary Example

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh boy. I think I will stream my attempts this year.

Also what about Siege of Dragonspear for those of us playing EE? I haven't touched it yet but I got it for 6 bucks.

E: Nevermind it just hasn't got Honor art yet

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 1, 2018

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Been a while since a BG1 Ironman run. Time to roll some stats and get killed by assassins in the prologue!

:stare: after only ~20 rolls.

We head to the Friendly Arm, Tarnesh managed to get off his horror spell but with a successful save vs. spells he was no problem. From there we venture south to slay the Gender Bender.

We get to Beregost and kill Silke no problem; with Khalid and Jaheira the 4 of us make sure she doesn't get a spell off. Karlat is a beefy dude though and he manages to down Jaheira. Ugh 200gp on that raise hurts.

We make our way down to Nashkel and round out the party with Edwin and Rasaad. The Xvart village and beyond awaits on a quest to rescue kill Dynaheir!

Never got there. RIP Tulidain the fighter/cleric who couldn't drop aggro from a cave bear.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I bought Baldur's Gate with a gift card I got for Christmas. Never played the first game before, but I figured, hey, let's see how far I can get without dying.

This is the tale of Lasairfhiona, Human Blade.

She's perfect in every way...except that she's hopelessly naive and makes some very rash decisions. I'm sure that won't be a problem!

Horrifically, it turns out people want to kill her! In her own home no less. So, she and her dad hatched a plan to run far away.

Ten minutes later, that plan failed. Her sister Imoen showed up (but I don't think she knows it's her sister) and they found a note on their dad's corpse suggesting they go to the pub for a drink.
(Wisdom check: FAIL) But first, a little exploration never hurt anyone did it?

Ambushed by a wolf! Imoen had to spend two days nursing Lasairfhiona back to health, but that won't deter them, the journey continues!

They met up with two other travellers, and together managed to take down an Ogre! But then Lasairfhiona discovered that the pair were evil, evil!
(Wisdom check: FAIL) She wasn't going to adventure with evil-doers, no sir, it's the principle of the thing.
(Wisdom check: FAIL) Besides, she didn't need them, did she?
So she and Imoen parted ways with the pair and (Wisdom check: FAIL) continued their exploration of the wilderness nearby.

Well, gently caress. Maybe I should have just gone straight to the pub after all.

Lasairfhiona was killed by a member of the Blue Man Group just south of the Friendly Arm Inn.

Maybe we'll pick up with her in a universe where she didn't die if I get to Baldur's Gate 2.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Durlag's Tower part 2

Like Vincenzo and Softface before her, Owynna cheesed the chess fight (is there anyone who doesn't), though her method involved drinking a Potion of Absorption and one of Invisibility and running around like a headless chicken until everyone else is dead.

The Demon Knight battle turned out to be far less dangerous than I feared. He almost gets killed by his own mirror version, and a couple of whacks with the Staff of Striking do the rest.

Drinking two Potions of Magic Protection for 100% Magic Resistance trivialises the Aec'Letec fight. Funnily enough, unlike his good buddy the Demon Knight, Aec'Letec can't actually see through invisibility.

His loss, really.

Werewolf Island. Not gonna lie, I hate this place. It's a boring slog through a horde one-dimensional enemies with pointless fetch quests and perhaps the worst writing in the entire series. Even the rewards aren't worth it, aside from maybe the Staff Mace.

Karoug is the only interesting challenge on the island because his crazy regeneration and immunity to most weapons make him difficult to kill for certain classes. Owynna is part Fighter though, so she just hits him until he dies.

Afterwards, I travel around the world a bit more because I didn't quite feel like hitting up the final battle yet. Also because I had like 50 Arrows of Detonation just lying around, and I've got to use those somehwere.

Arabelle status: Uh, alive and well?

Well, Hulrik certainly seems to think so. :v:

Last item on the agenda: Killing that no-good punk Drizzt for his sweet scimitars justice.

Potion of Defense + Ring of Protection +2 + Claw of Kazgaroth + Helmet of Balduran + Cloak of Balduran + Pellan's Shield + 24 Dexterity + Full Plate Armor + Golden Girdle
+ Cloak of the Shield = an effective AC of -22 against slashing attacks. Even Drizzt with his cheated stats can't hit me on anything lower than an 18.

Whereas Owynna can hit him just fine, as it turns out.

With that unfortunate bit of business out of the way, Owynna is on her way to fight Sarevok.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Two the Lonelier Thief has cleared the Nashkel mine and prepares for the bandit camp.

Today's wanderings begin with the death of the two oafs who are pestering the Dryad of the Cloud Peaks. I can't get them off my back so I have to nearly kill myself firing the necklace of missiles at point-blank range.

Here little girl, have a dead cat.

Returning a dog to a demon gets me enough exp for another level.

I need more money so I go after Bassilus. I come prepared with an expensive potion of magic blocking to avoid his spells, but I'm caught off guard when a few of his zombies also aggro me despite choosing the correct dialogue to dismiss his undead army. After a good deal of running around I finish off the evil cleric and his minions.

I pick up Melicamp while I'm in the area.

Melicamp lives!

Next I take out the amazon assassins near Nashkel for more xp, treasure, and another level.

It occurs to me that the Ring of Energy would be nice to have so I go take out these red wizards.

Finally I get around to doing the Nashkel mine. I have to shoot the necklace of missiles at close range again to avoid being mobbed by skeletons and kobolds, but it's not so bad now that I have a fire protection ring.

A backstab does for Nimbul.

While the Gullykin assassins get asploded.

With all the rings and necklaces I have now I find myself in need of a gem bag for inventory management. Neera lays down her life to provide one. Amusingly her introductory cutscene starts but the red wizards who teleport in just stand around looking confused while I slink off with the gem bag.

A scroll of protection from petrification lets me level grind on basilisks in relative safety.

I grind a little more on ankhegs while retrieving a farmer's dead son from their lair, and earn yet another level. I'm up to 8 now.

I should be ready for bandit camp next time.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Another attempt at a solo FMT. Went LE for the first time and the imp familiar's polymorph is amazeballs. Snuck to high hedge for the protection from petrification scroll, cleared out the basilisks, slunk away from the NPC party in that zone like a shameless coward, and farmed some ankhegs to top off her levels. Lenore is now heading to Nashkel to actually start the plot

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Walter Johnson has assembled a party and getting ready to head to the first mines.

We gained some levels before killing this guy.

I forgot why I took this.

Easy quest easy xp

He died.

Magic Missiles took him out easy.

Umm we are gonna need a new thief. Imoen is dead and chunked. She'll be back someday.

We go and get the con tome to secure our new thief Safana.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Two the Lonelier Thief heads for the bandit camp.

I stealth past all the bandits and guards outside, and consider doing the same inside the main tent. I think all I need to do to advance the plot is to grab what's in the big chest in there, but I'm going to have to drop stealth to do that so I'm not sure a fight is avoidable. So instead I go with the YOLO option, find a quiet corner of the camp to apply some magic protections, then sneak inside the big tent and start blowing everything up with the necklace of missiles.

Sadly I didn't count on the mage Venkt being so durable, stubbornly refusing to die under a hail of missiles, and pumping me full of acid arrows. I try to hurriedly drink an elixir of health to get back some HP and cure the poison one of the enemies inflicted, but it's too late and the lingering effect of the acid arrows ends it all. Gotta remember to bring a protection from acid scroll next time. Or maybe kill everyone outside so at least running away is an option.

RIP Two the Lonelier Thief, melted by acid arrows in the bandit camp.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

I think all I need to do to advance the plot is to grab what's in the big chest in there, but I'm going to have to drop stealth to do that so I'm not sure a fight is avoidable.

It is. The tent guards don't turn hostile until the human fighter talks to you. If you unstealth right next to the chest, you're out of his sight radius, so he'll never walk up to you.

---

Confession time: I've probably died more times to the Iron Throne mercenaries in the Underdark than to the actual final boss. I always get cocky and figure I can take them out easily, usually leading to a face full of Arrows of Detonation. The smart thing to do would be to avoid them altogether.

But then again, revenge is very cathartic.

The final fight is pretty straightforward with a Thief. Semaj dies first because he's stupid enough to teleport right to my location.

Angelo is next because his arrows are the most dangerous thing here.

Tazok doesn't really matter, but I might as well kill him too.

And finally, Big S himself falls.

Owynna backstabbed her way to victory and is ready to move on to Amn.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Honorable Trader (actually I'm not sure, does it count if you only steal from normal NPCs?), Battlemaster, A God Among Men

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard posted:

Also I remembered how much I don't like playing pure-class wizards/sorcerers. (I know they're powerful, I just don't enjoy them.)

That being said...

Corbomite C. Hayes, of the half-elven Brothers Hayes, fire-obsessed dragon disciples one and all, has cleared the Nashkel Mines.

Basically, it turned into an itch I need to scratch. Also I couldn't think of a different character I wanted to play. Also also, I love the Ignus soundset. (It's mostly this.)

I have to admit, the thought of the Honored Dead list being a succession of Corbos dying in increasingly embarrassing ways also has a certain appeal.

Not a Born Hero at all. The interface mod I use has an autoroller that preserves the highest roll it gets to, and I don't think it does anything beyond that but it sure doesn't take long to get absurdly good rolls. This took about two seconds.

The funny thing is that none of these stats really matter much. (Constitution will matter if/when I hit level 5 and pick up the tome, but even then I think regeneration is more of a party trick than an actual game-changer.

More AC from Dexterity certainly doesn't hurt, though Corbo's AC is still gonna be poo poo for a long time.

Burning Hands turns out to be, you know, not great, but less fiddly and more useful than I expected. (I'm grabbing all the fire spells if I can. Roleplaying)

We do the usual Candlekeep stuff, grab the free stuff from the first area, and then hop down to High Hedge and skirt the edge of the map to get to Beregost without any fights at all. At which point Imoen goes on a looting spree.

Corbo meanwhile engages in the traditional settling of disputes for passers-by.

The early grind is dull, mostly lockpicking and knocking over easy quests, and best left to the imagination. But here's level 3 Corbo testing out his new dragon breath on some bandits.

Tarnesh never really stood a chance.

This guy wants us to go look for a spellbook in the Ulcaster Ruins. Yeah, we'll get right on that.

Oh, it's like that, is it? Well now I don't feel bad about murdering you.

We make it to Nashkel but we don't stay long, because it's time for a side trip to Basilisk Town. (Mostly to get some use out of Tiax and his ghast before it becomes untenable to have him in the party any more.)

I hadn't really intended to fight this guy yet, but firebreath, my lightning wand and a barrage of magic missiles took care of him while Korax and Tiax's ghast dealt with the basilisks.

These assholes. This fight basically took everything I had, but we prevailed with only one casualty. Ajantis sacrificed himself dueling Lindin and we gave him a hero's burial in Nashkel. (I thought I had a screenshot of the aftermath but apparently not.

On our way back to Nashkel (after picking up Minsc and popping back to mop up what's left of the basilisk map), we make a sidetrip to Durlag's Tower to pick up a wand of fire for Corbo.

Before heading into the mines, we deal with Greywolf and pick up Isra, an NPC mod cavalier. And I think this is my party til I need a second thief after I dual Imoen in a few levels.

This is Isra. Respectable stats though she's definitely going to need the dexterity gauntlets.

We deal with Mulahey, but not before he nails Isra with a Rigid Thinking. So the rest of my party hangs out by the underground lake til it wears off. We get out of dodge shortly after, since, while Isra has Varscona, most of the rest of the party don't have magic weapons so I can't really deal with the mustard jellies yet.

I can't firebreath Nimbul because he's surrounded by townspeople and soldiers.

One of whom steals my kill, goddammit!

It's okay, I got what I was after.

And Corbo's got a new friend (and some more hit points).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

docbeard posted:

Not a Born Hero at all. The interface mod I use has an autoroller that preserves the highest roll it gets to, and I don't think it does anything beyond that but it sure doesn't take long to get absurdly good rolls. This took about two seconds.

I don't think I've ever seen a roll this high outside of a Ranger or Paladin. That's 98 points. :aaaaa:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

It is. The tent guards don't turn hostile until the human fighter talks to you. If you unstealth right next to the chest, you're out of his sight radius, so he'll never walk up to you.

Good to know. I feel obligated to kill them all next run, however.

Congrats on soloing Sarevok, by the way.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a roll this high outside of a Ranger or Paladin. That's 98 points. :aaaaa:

I did think it was a little weird how easy it was to get good rolls similar to those of a class with high minimums like that. So I went back and looked at the minimum attributes for a dragon disciple and its minimums are 10 14 3 3 3 15. Not quite paladin or ranger level, but a lot higher than I was expecting.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Vincenzo the fighter/thief begins his SoD adventure.

These are apparently the only 2 screenshots I took of the starting dungeon. I guess what I'm trying to say here is spend all your leftover money at the Flaming Fist Healer because you'll lose it all very soon, and strip characters that don't return in SoD because they'll bail with all your stuff. And also that the starting dungeon is extremely forgettable.

After a bunch of boring micro quests in the city we finally reach an actual (but optional) dungeon. Bring fire and scout ahead with a invisible thief because traps and nasty surprises are aplenty. Hello, umber hulks.

Uh oh. The bronze sentry (an ironman run killer) sees through invisibility, better think fast.

M'Khiin's shamanic summons were surprisingly adequate at distracting it while Edwin and Baeloth damaged it with wands of frost and finished it off with magic missiles since it's immune to fire and highly resistant to physical damage.

Whoops, bone bats can also see through invisibility, apparently.

Anyway I sided with the lich and killed the dwarven clerics and my reward was a disappointing war hammer +2 that hurts the wielder on a critical miss and some sort of promise to help against the crusade in the future?

Then I kicked some crusader rear end, an idiot blew up the bridge (not in that order) and Caelar spoke some nonsense at me and I set off to find another bridge to cross.

Vincenzo the fighter/thief is on his way to Boareskyr bridge.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Walter Johnson has made it to Baldur's Gate

The fight with with what's his name was pretty easy. The assassins on the outside and nimbul also game no trouble.

The fight inside the tent was trivial but Minsc and Khalid both died before getting into the tent forcing us to retreat and rez them.

We nearly had terrible disaster in random a encounter in Cloakwood with ettercaps. I forgot which way to go and trigged the web trap and nearly lost everyone. Minsc and Safana died and we retreated to rez them. Once we go to the mines we went through mostly okay and had to rest like 7 times in the last room before we could actually rest without getting interrupted.

Getting to Baldur's Gate was mostly event free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

The boys are back in town :toot:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

At the very edge of greatness...

Walter Johnson has game overed.

The dopplegangers killed the grand dukes.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Blaxploiter, the solo fighter/illusionist continues to ride on.

Bandit camp cleared, Endar Sai diez when I trigger the chest’s lightning trap.

Killing the assholes outside Cloakwood mines, wands are so good in this game.

Davaeorn is pretty easy if you chug a couple magic block potions, they even work with the traps of this room. Once he runs out of spells, he’s harmless. Time to go to Baldur’s gate!

Once I got there, made a pit-stop at the arcane sundries shop and headed straight to Scar, completed his quests and hit the Iron Throne HQs.

I know this assholes are dangerous, so I unleash all the artillery, summons, wand of fire, explosive arrows, everything. Still had to do some running and cheesing going up and down.

Seriously, gently caress this guys.

Candlekeep, The Return.

So many dopplegangers.

Cleaning more assholes in the catacombs.

Triggered a random web trap and nearly died there, luckily was able to neutralize the poison and run away with 10 hp, gently caress me, shouldn’t skipped to pick the free action sword in Cloakwood.

Out of Candlekeep and I’m at level cap already. I won’t try Durlag’s or the tales of the Sword Coast content, I want to get to BG2 asap. I hope to not get turbo hosed by the doppleganger ambush with the Grand Dukes.

Blaxploiter, the solo fighter/illusionist is ready to kill Sarevok.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
It's time for Priest Softface to start the trek to Dragonspear castle!

And like all good journeys it starts by talking to a hallucinating plane-walking elf and taking some glasses from him.

And meeting up with some old friends!

Bridge out ahead. I'm upset people surrendered before I could kill them.

I catch a dwarf being enliched and he is not happy with me.

I toss his phylactery into a huge gout of elemental flame

But not before he comes back and I have to off him again. But he finally dies, and for good!

Moving on to the next area and someone warns me about a troll cave nearby. I'm sure nothing will come of it though.

OH poo poo TROLLS THEY HAVE FACES LIKE LITTLE PEOPLE

Level 5 spells :toot: I've gotten a LOT of use out of Raise Dead so far, and I'm expecting a lot more.

While scouting, Safana finds a dragon. Apparently it's asleep and you can walk past, but it walked up and started attacking her so I really had no choice.

The fight does not go well, and when it's only Priest Softface alive I run back to raise the dead.

It's another costly battle, but the dragon goes down! I proceed to kite the Greater Wyvern around so that I don't die.

Further into the dragon's lair I find a tribe of bugbears. It's no dragon, and I wreck them with a few fireballs.

And even FURTHER in... this thing!

I saw it coming and buffed appropriately.

No shot of the illithid because I fireballed him all the way to death as soon as the door opened.

But with that down I go smash the crusade's siege around Bridgeford. I also exchanged Glint for Neera, because I like having two arcane casters and found Glint to be more than a little on the useless side.

Apparently I threw a sword at the well spirit and pissed it off enough for it to volunteer to get murdered. I was happy to oblige.

If it hadn't been for Safana's scouting I would have gotten hosed here. Make a note: always be scouting.

This poor dragon has been bound and imprisoned by some evil wizards, so it falls to me to free the dragon.

Just like the other dragon, it doesn't go well. I get down to about four spells, and kill all but one wizard, two skeletons, and the dragon. Luckily one of the spells was Raise Dead, which I used to get Corwyn up, she grabbed a bow from a dead skeleton and started plinking at the enemies while I tanked them.

My gamble paid off and the dragon was freed! Fun fact: the dragon can see through invisibility, making me very glad I had the Boots of Speed.

On the way out I free this guy! The creature who put him there was none too happy about it, but a few sword hits silenced his objections.

And now that it's 6:30 am I'm faced with the decision of going to bed for a few hours or playing some more.

Fake edit: I'm going to play some more. Priest Softface is entering Dragonspear Castle!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Congrats on soloing Sarevok, by the way.

Thanks. I know BG1 pretty well by now, so it wasn't too much of an issue. I can't say the same for BG2 though, so I fully expect to die to a random Maze trap.

docbeard posted:

I did think it was a little weird how easy it was to get good rolls similar to those of a class with high minimums like that. So I went back and looked at the minimum attributes for a dragon disciple and its minimums are 10 14 3 3 3 15. Not quite paladin or ranger level, but a lot higher than I was expecting.

Yeah, looks like the Dragon Disciple has much higher minimum stats than the standard Sorcerer. I guess that's a small advantage for the kit, though it's not like Sorcerers really have problems rolling for stats.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Thanks. I know BG1 pretty well by now, so it wasn't too much of an issue. I can't say the same for BG2 though, so I fully expect to die to a random Maze trap.

Same. I know BG1 very well aside from the TotSC content. I only keep dying because I get careless or lazy. I can solo BG1 with proper diligence, but I have no idea how to solo BG2.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

You people doing solo runs might be insane, kiting enemies while the party shoots them to death is the Baldur's Gate experience for me.

Getting back into it with the question "what's in this hole?"

Ghosts, it turns out. I chuck their bodies into a hole that leads to D&D Purgatory and that seems to satisfy their unfinished business.

Not really the best time, Corwyn.

#rekt

When I played through this last year I got stuck on the return trip, since a room of about 50 Crusaders is a lot to cut through. So I got all buffed for a huge fight before heading down... only to avoid the fight entirely.

The thing that makes fighting through the entire Crusade worth it: getting my money back.

And now to get dragged into literal Hell, just like I was always told would happen when I die.

Honestly, not that bad of a place. Next time I'll save some of those glasses charges so that I can see what the hell these spirits are.

Oh, the elevators are terribly slow. That means this truly is Hell.

My steam overlay hosed up at this point and I have two black screens for my fight with Belhiphet. The solution, as with most other things, is kiting him while plinking away, with the added benefit of ramping Minsc's Fire Resist up so that he doesn't get destroyed by the AoE.

Just like when I walk through an airport.

But that's Siege of Dragonspear done! I'll start on BG2 probably tonight and hope I don't get killed by mephits in Irenicus's dungeon.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
It's time for Erin the Solo Elven Kensai to try her hand at this, hopefully without dying to hubris as my best attempt last year did.

Even with an autoroller it still took about half an hour to get these stats. The 18/95 Strength was actually coincidental, I would've settled for 18/01 since it's not going to matter any more after the tome. 11 should be all I need for Int since I'm not planning on dual-classing, it's just so I can survive two mind flayer hits. 18 Cha gets me a bit more gold from some quests, but critically, a +1 dagger right away.

Let's get this show on the road.

Boy howdy am I glad I popped down to Beregost to do some noncombat quests to get a second level under my belt before taking on Tarnesh, or this attempt would be begun and done in three screenshots.

Silke falls without too much trouble and Garrick goes off to drown his sorrows. Ordinarily I'm mildly opposed to abusing glitches in ironman runs, but when soloing, any oversight on the developers' part is fair game to be exploited.

Greywolf is a little tougher, but doable.

Erin the Solo Elven Kensai has reached the Nashkel mines.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Same. I know BG1 very well aside from the TotSC content. I only keep dying because I get careless or lazy. I can solo BG1 with proper diligence, but I have no idea how to solo BG2.

I think it helps that BG1 is very straightforward when it comes to the items you need. You can pick up the Greenstone Amulet and Ankheg Plate Mail right at the beginning and be fine for 90% of all encounters. BG2 has a lot more items with situational uses, so you're constantly juggling around equipment to counter a specific fight.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

It's time for Erin the Solo Elven Kensai to try her hand at this, hopefully without dying to hubris as my best attempt last year did.

Really neat to see a solo Kensai, that's not a very popular class for obvious reasons. Did you have a specific reason for choosing an Elf, or is it simply a role-playing decision?

---

Owynna is too much of a cheapskate to buy SoD, so she starts her adventures in Amn.

While the exp cap in BG:EE is still 161k, the game does seem to count excess experience. I ended up with 293'578, which is enough to put Owynna up to level 8/9 and give her an extra backstab multiplier.

Importing also means that I get my wicked flaming sword back.

If you want to know how Irenicus' dungeon went, just copy-paste this screenshot a dozen times.

This is pretty much the only puzzle in BG2 I actually like, and I'm pretty sure they stole it from some random math book.

Don't mind me, fellas. Just, uh, tightening up security around here.

It took six traps, an Oil of Speed and a ton of backstabs, but Mencar and his gang finally snuff it. It's all worth it for the amazing Cloak of Non-Detection.

One of the perks of being a Thief is that you can get pretty much infinite money the second you start Chapter 2. Chug a few Potions of Master Thievery, find a fence (I like the one inside the Shadow Thieves guildhouse), sell her your most expensive item, and then immediately steal it back. Repeat until your own sense of decency tells you to knock it off.

I don't really have a sense of decency, so I ended up with roughly 200k gold. Which I used to buy out the Adventurer's Mart.

The Beastmaster in the Copper Coronet is the first fight that gives me trouble, because I manage to get myself stuck between him and his animals. I still end up winning though, in no small part thanks to the help of the trusty Bronze Horn.

I finish the session by using a Protection from Undead Scroll, stealing a sword from a Lich, and then beating him to death with it. I may be a wuss, but at least I'm not a dead wuss.

Owynna is on her way to Trademeet.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Really neat to see a solo Kensai, that's not a very popular class for obvious reasons. Did you have a specific reason for choosing an Elf, or is it simply a role-playing decision?
Combination of roleplaying decision, and the 90% resistance to charm, considering that being charmed while soloing is an instant run-ender.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think it helps that BG1 is very straightforward when it comes to the items you need. You can pick up the Greenstone Amulet and Ankheg Plate Mail right at the beginning and be fine for 90% of all encounters. BG2 has a lot more items with situational uses, so you're constantly juggling around equipment to counter a specific fight.

And part of it is BG1 is easier to cheese. BG2 doesn't let you get away with shooting wands of fire into the fog while your enemies just stand around doing nothing about the fireballs raining on them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Time to end this.

The duchal palace fight went pretty smoothly, all the buffs and summoned monsters were enough to kill the doppelfuckers fast enough. Chased Sarevok to the maze.

I hate the maze, I really do, it’s just a long, winding corridor full with some of the most annoying minions in the entire game.

Hate this dudes, at some point I got fed up and started running past all the monsters.

THEY FOLLOWED ME.

:dogout:

Sigh

Time to buff up for the final fight.

The fight starts with me carefully agroing Sarevok and accidentally triggering a trap, as I am hasted, I can reposition quickly and the enemy mage decides to teleport in. After a dispel arrow or two, he is quickly dispatched.

Sarevok and Tazok come in and clash with the summoned Wall of Meat. Angelo’s explosives arrows aggro both Sarevok and Tazok, who go back and murder him.

It’s only a matter of time until I kill Sarevok with arrows. The end.

Blaxploiter, the solo fighter/illusionist has killed Sarevok
Honors: Ironling, Purist, Tonorable Trader, A God Among Men.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I'm helping!

Twin protections from Magic and Petrification, plus a couple potions, help clear this map easily.

The only doom he couldn't say... was his.

Riggilowned.

Davaeorn proves as annoying as ever with his teleporting.

But retrieving Shandalar's cloak (from the always-visually-glitched restored Ice Island second level) is easy enough.

Erin the Kensai has reached the big city.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

And part of it is BG1 is easier to cheese. BG2 doesn't let you get away with shooting wands of fire into the fog while your enemies just stand around doing nothing about the fireballs raining on them.

As far as I can remember, it was possible to shoot a Cloudkill offscreen and wait until everything's dead in vanilla BG2, but I believe the EE fixed that.

Angry Lobster posted:

It’s only a matter of time until I kill Sarevok with arrows. The end.

Blaxploiter, the solo fighter/illusionist has killed Sarevok
Honors: Ironling, Purist, Tonorable Trader, A God Among Men.

Congratulations. A victory so nice, the game awarded you the XP for it twice.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

As far as I can remember, it was possible to shoot a Cloudkill offscreen and wait until everything's dead in vanilla BG2, but I believe the EE fixed that.

BG2EE makes me mad sometimes with some of its mechanical differences from BG1/EE. A favorite BG1 tactic of mine if I have both a cleric and mage in the party is to summon some skeletons, drop a Stinking Cloud on the enemy, then send in the skeletons to keep the enemies from leaving the cloud's radius while the party pelts them with ranged weapons. Doing this in BG2EE makes the skeletons mad and they turn hostile to you despite them being immune to Stinking Cloud's effect.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When last we left our hero, Corbomite C. Hayes, he'd just about managed to set fire to some rocks south of Nashkel. We decide to bring the truth of the flames to the Sword Coast, one hobgoblin and gnoll and xvart at a time.

But first, there's some business to attend to in Beregost.

This dude, from the Ascalon Questpack, is part of the secret organization that wanted to hook up with the Iron Throne. This fight turns out to be a bit tougher than I had expected, but it's nothing we can't handle, and it gives me a chance to try out Corbo's new wand of fire. (Which I just spent something like 9,000 gold recharging, since the one you buy at Durlag's comes with only one charge for the Agannazar's Scorcher side.)

Silke, on the other hand, is no trouble at all for us at this point.

She is such a passive-aggressive quest giver.

Arabelle lives! (Also of note, the bear just sort of chilling in the area.)

There are just a lot of rear end in a top hat bandits wandering around. Well, I guess Sendai and her pack of jerks aren't bandits. (We also don't fight them because I feel it would just be proving their point.)

This gnoll makes the mistake of whining about not getting to eat Dynaheir where Minsc can hear. A full and frank exchange of views occurs.

With the dexterity gauntlets, Isra's pretty drat tanky. But it can always get better.

WE MEASURE OUR PROGRESS IN BODIES.

With Dynaheir rescued, Minsc escorts her back to the Friendly Arms Inn while the rest of the party decides to do a little caving. We also rescue Aaron, the missing guy from Nashkel (in another Ascalon quest). There's a bit more to this story that we'll get to later, though.

Corbo's experiment in setting fire to a carrion crawler meets with mixed results.

Charisma Tome acquired.

We reclaim Minsc and decide to do a bit of...well, I suppose it's a form of shopping. We could stick around and grind ankhegs, they're probably not a massive threat to us at this point, but I only need the one shell for now.

On our way back to Beregost to commission some ankheg armor for Isra, we stumble on the travelers that our Serpent Cultist dwarf was plotting against, but we get there too late to do anything but salvage his diary. Seems our travelers were going to meet up at the Temple of Helm.

Corbo's level 5 now, which means a free Constitution boost. Which gives me an idea of where to go next.

On our way to the lighthouse, we deal with some more assholery.

And save some elf celebrity from a mob of gnolls who presumably want his autograph.

Bassilius is as creepy and sad as ever.

Also as non-fireproof as ever.

We rescue(?) Melicamp the Chicken. (Will it be a rescue or just a delay of the inevitable? WE SHALL SEE!) And then we finally make it to the lighthouse map. However, this is a modded game so there have been some...changes.

For one, the lighthouse is occupied. After we rescue the kid, this old guy spontaneously warns us about sirines, and not to talk to sirines, and definitely not to believe anything that a certain sirine called Sil might have to say.

(This is all part of The Lure of the Sirine's Call mod.)

I don't know if it's this mod, or another, or just EE, but sirines are a lot tougher than I remember, and it's touch and go for a while. Instead of just casting targeted charm spells (thus making it trivial to send in someone or something immune to that sort of thing), these cast some kind of blinding fog that makes combat basically impossible and use some kind of mass charm that at one point nailed half my party. A certain amount of Benny Hill-like shenanigans then occurred.

At another point, one turned herself into a fuckin' mustard jelly.

There's three sirines in this first encounter and we somehow kill them all. Mostly with the wand of fire and a whole lot of patience.

Then Sil herself turns up and it turns out that she has a legitimate grievance against the dude and his friends in the lighthouse, who turn out to be murderous pirates (as opposed to fun-loving adventurers who only ever act in pre-emptive self defense). Fortunately, there is a peaceful solution.

...one presumes.

Sil is vaguely gracious toward us for avenging our kin and gives us access to the cave beyond.

And, after a bit of scouting and a couple of flesh golems later, we acquire the Constitution Tome.

And Corbo now gets to regenerate.

On our way out, we run into some worgs, a couple of whom take a bit too much of a liking to Corbo. He shares with them the blessings of the flame.

Corbomite C. Hayes will be off to the Bandit Camp...eventually.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

It's Baldur's Gate 2 time!

I feel my eyelids droop the moment this starts. Irenicus's dungeon is just so BORING, and after doing it so many times I don't even hate it anymore.

With reach run I take greater and greater risks in hopes of feeling something.

I got out of it without dying though! I'm not sure words can express just how pissed I'd be if I got iced by a fire mephit, or smoked by a lightning mephit.

Bye mom, I just kept you around for extra carrying space.

And after picking up Neera it's time to call it a night. Priest Softface is out and about in Amn!

Oh, and I forgot to list my SoD Honors: Siege Breaker, second Purist, second Honorable Trader, second Roleplayer

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala the Elven Sorcerer has killed Sarevok.

Forgot to take a pic of char creation.

Mellicamp lived.

I did a lot of leveling up and got the spell I wanted.

Did you know you can't cast spells on invisible or sanctuaried creatures?

Sarevok was one of the easiest fights in the game.

The start of BG2.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader, Iron Party, Battlemaster, Roleplayer, A God Among Men,

Dishonor: Don't Hurt Me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Things are going great in BG2 we have made lots of progress even though we haven't done many quests yet.

I always liked the third dialogue option.

The party blazes through the opening dungeon in about 25 minutes. This took me hours as a teenager when the game came out and didn't know the rules to dnd.

Not long after that I decide we have too many party members and also turn to a life of crime. I stock up on some essential supplies afterwards like belt of hill giant strength, rod of resurrection, staff of rynn, wands of cloudkill and fireball, to name a few. Also this robe and amulet will come in handy. We also get a license to cast magic.

It turns out summons work every time 100% of the time.

Got a ring I wanted then kicked Jaheria's dead body out of the party.

This is how things stand right now. Kala has made it to level 12, recruited Hexxat, got rid of hexxat and kept her bag of holding, killed the guys in the sewers, solved the skinner murders and put the copper coronet into new ownership.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ah, Trademeet. Home of great items and easy quests.

Any means of invisibility makes the Druid Grove a joke. You can sneak past all the fights and have Cernd challenge Faldorn for an easy victory.

The djinn want me to find a fugitive, but it's easier to simply murder them all. They're Neutral Evil anyway.

This does make me feel kinda lonely. :(

Why hello there, Staff of Striking. I don't know why you're so incredibly cheap, but I won't complain.

Renalp asked me to kill Mae'Var, so I killed Mae'Var.

I really want the Boots of Speed, so I rush the Planar Prison quest. It almost proves fatal when I get surrounded by a group of Umber Hulks. Thank God for Potions of Absorption.

I always wondered if this area being a copy of Durlag's Tower has a specific significance, or if it's simply a result of the rushed development time.

The first Planar Prison fight is pretty nasty due to almost everyone having some means of dispelling invisibility. At least I have the Boots of Speed now, so things should get easier.

Well, so I thought, but then I promptly forget to reequip the Shield of Harmony and get confused by the first Umber Hulk I come across. Welp.

RIP Owynna, killed by my own stupidity an Umber Hulk in the Planar Prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I forgot to take a bunch of screenshots and only occasionally remembered. This one is post trade meet.

I also did planar prison and thieves guild during all this.

Torgal is a god drat chump if you have Mordenkainen's Sword. They are completely immune to anything he can do.

The shadow dragon has a critical weakness, it can't fit thru the set of stairs into it's lair to chase you. Just zone in / out every time it cast a spell until it's out of good spells while casting your own offensive spells like lower resistance on it. Three lower resistance pretty much nukes its magic resistance and some wands finish it off.

Currently level 15 and almost level 16. Most likely going to take Firekraag next. Maybe do the first floor of watchers keep? It's fairly easy and has meaty XP. Some fairly nasty insta kill traps though. Think I am gonna grab Yoshimo for that one.

• Locked thread